Battlefield V NVIDIA Ray Tracing: i9-9900K CPU Testing @ [H]

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Hameeeedo

Hameeeedo Limp Gawd

Remember when you criticized Hardware T&L as being incomplete and worthless? History is repeating itself it seems. We certainly need more time and games before we prejudge an important tech like DXR as worthless, or "Trash".

2. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett Editor-in-Chief HardOCP Staff Member

I thought about writing a whole story about the parallels. Good memory on you!

And agreed, I do not think that DXR is trash, but currently it is worthless IMO.

RTX 2060 BFV review being edited now.

3. Nightfire

Nightfire [H]ard|Gawd

We are expecting the GTX 2060 to be a disaster at RTX with the same settings as the other cards.

Ultra textures is just too much for everything short of a 2080ti.

4. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

With DLSS ray tracing might have a fighting chance. It’s supposed to come to BFV.

DLSS is a pretty sweet feature, just taking wayy too long to implement, but honestly at 2060 performance I would have just preferred straight CUDA cores and a smaller/cheaper die. They are setting themselves up to get curb stomped by the competitors if the competitors would hurry up.

Nightfire likes this.
  5. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

I wonder who it was who criticized [H] for using overclocked 7700K instead of 9900K? That criticism could have been countered with a simple logic. Raytracing is entirely GPU bound effect, enabling it is like pushing resolution to the max, it takes load AWAY from the CPU and evens out the differences between them, the GPU becomes a bottleneck. Heck if you were using a Sandy Bridge you'd probably see similar performance numbers with raytracing on.

6. H2R2P2

H2R2P2 Limp Gawd

BFV system requirements state a 6 core processor for having RTX enabled.. That's why..

7. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

I know that. But 4 core 8 thread CPU is roughly equivalent to 6 real cores 6 threads, clock for clock. And anyone even remotely interested in PC gaming should know that the minimum and recommended boxes are not based on anything real but specs developers pull out of their asses. So again, who was criticizing Kyle from their original test? Certainly not anyone from this forum where everyone should know atleast something about hardware?

8. Kyle_Bennett

Data is always good.

9. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

True. At least it does give you some hard numbers that tells whiners to STFU. :)

10. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

I was probably the first and it was more of an observation than criticism. I get much higher fps, ~75fps at 3440x1440 ultra/dxr low where Brent got 66 at 2560x1440p. The first observation was I have 8C/16T and he was at 4C/8T. Others mentioned similar.

I remembered DICE mentioning in an interview they were implementing ray tracing for 12 threads. It’s also on the suggested list. So I just noted that as a possible reason. I agreed with Kyle a high clocked 7700k was most likely fine if I had to guess.

I think the discrepancy probably comes from a combination of my card being clocked higher / hard modded and Brent finding intense areas to test RT.

Also my CPU usage appears higher in DX12 than DX11. We also didn’t know how RT presents the data. It could have been completely different than a typical game.

Anyways it’s great [H] did this testing since I couldn’t find any cpu comparisons for RT. Again, the main reason I give to Patreon is they dig into things like this.

Armenius and Nightfire like this.
  11. Kyle_Bennett

The fact is that while we were 99% sure we were on solid ground, we did not KNOW. Now we know. Good for everyone involved.

Armenius likes this.
  12. Kyle_Bennett

Worth noting again, we are been using the Rotterdam map for our multiplayer testing. Rotterdam is the same map that NVIDIA has been using for "all" of it BFV ray tracing demos around the world.

Armenius, Nightfire and Dayaks like this.
  13. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

I understand. But personally I wouldn't even think of looking for into CPU if there is a performance problem with Raytracing, considering it is a GPU driven feature. AFAIK at least.

Dayaks likes this.
  14. Compddd

Compddd [H]ard|Gawd

Is there any reason why I get better FPS with DX12 than DX11 on my 2080 Ti in BF5? I run with DXR off

15. Lastan010

Lastan010 [H]Lite

I went from a 4/8 intel cpu to 8/16 intel cpu and the difference in bf5 single player mode was not that much, but in multiplayer mode inside a full 64p server the difference was huge.

I personally think that single player mode benchmarks shouldn't be used to illustrate if your cpu is good enough, it should be used to benchmark gpu's only.

16. Maddness

Maddness [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe the game has had an update, because in the past it's been the opposite.

17. Kyle_Bennett

I would argue that it should not be used for either considering that the huge majority of people that will be playing this game will be playing multiplayer. :) And there are big differences in performance.

18. Lastan010

Lastan010 [H]Lite

true, and consoles actually prove that, single player games look really good, but multiplayer is just utter garbage on consoles.