Battlefield V Microtransactions Coming January 2019

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Recent listings on Amazon and the Xbox Store suggest EA will begin monetizing Battlefield V by way of paid content next month: starting January 18, players will be able to purchase “Battlefield Currency,” which comprises one half of the game’s economy/rewards system. The title initially launched with “Company Coin,” which grants upgrades, gear, and cosmetics through gameplay, but now, gamers who want optional cosmetics (but don't want to put in the effort) can pay for it.

Switching on microtransactions this early makes a lot of sense. Battlefield V's anticipated Firestorm battle royale mode will launch in March 2019, and EA wants to make revenue on the game's engagement before then. Going live in January also gives EA a three-month window to collect microtransaction earnings before its fiscal year ends on March 31, 2019. In lieu of battle passes, DICE will use earnings from optional cosmetic purchases to drive Battlefield V's massive content updates.

2. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

This.

This is the fucking problem.

3. fadedlogic

fadedlogic Limp Gawd

EA should schedule a proctologist appointment ASAP! I didn't think it was possible to shove one's head so far up their ass.

Dahkoht, Ranulfo, Revdarian and 12 others like this.
  4. Probleminfected

Probleminfected [H]ard|Gawd

Death of videos games and the influx of government regulation coming.

5. Danny Dawg

Danny Dawg [H]ard|Gawd

Squeeze that lemon EA..

R_Type likes this.
  6. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

EA just called. They said "Hold my beer".

Revdarian, R_Type, Vercinaigh and 2 others like this.
  7. Patton187

Patton187 Gawd

Well they may as well given that so few bought the piece of shit anyway.

MrGuvernment likes this.
  8. Shagittarius

Shagittarius n00b

This is what happens when you let sales and marketing design your games.

Revdarian, TordanGow, R_Type and 7 others like this.
  9. Paul_Johnson

Paul_Johnson [H] Admin Staff Member

Fuck yeah! I've been waiting for this!

10. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

Coming soon to an NVIDIA graphics card* near you, the hottest gaming since Doom hit floppy disks: Battlefield™ V* vs. Space Invaders™.

*While supplies last. Qualifying graphics cards and desktops: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GeForce RTX 2080, GeForce RTX 2070, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti desktop, GeForce RTX 2080 desktop, and GeForce RTX 2070 desktop only. Game must be redeemed with qualifying graphics card installed. Customer must meet the age requirement for the game to redeem. Regional/Country Requirements: Some coupons require that they be redeemed in specific regions or countries they were purchased in. Please redeem the code in the appropriate region/country. Internet connection required. Offer good for one digital download code (Battlefield™ V). Limit one download code per customer. Battlefield V game codes may only be redeemed beginning November 20, 2018 until January 31, 2019 or while supplies last.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  11. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

Wasn't there another news article about their stock because of this games disappointment? Oh yeah there was, I am sure this will help.

12. bugleyman

bugleyman [H]ard|Gawd

:facepalm::banghead:

You couldn't make this shit up.

13. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

Just like Bethesda. They keep pouring lighter fluid all over these dumpster fires.

14. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

up till SWBF2 and BF5 i purchased any and all BF games...Im voting with my wallet from what looks like the franchise disappearing forever

15. seanreisk

seanreisk [H]ard|Gawd

As long as it's just cosmetic stuff I'm good. People want to drop their money on things like that, it's not anyone's business. But paying for a chance to win an item, or paying for better gear or extra consumables, is wrong.

Revdarian, mkk, marekfreak and 3 others like this.
  16. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

I am againts cosmetic also. It l begun with it just being cosmetic. How about they make a good cand complete game to make money? Look at RDR2. It made a billion dollars before they even have any multiplayer and MT. I miss the days getting complete and spending a little times unlocking shit.

Dahkoht, Bcc335, Revdarian and 5 others like this.
  17. lostinseganet

lostinseganet [H]ard|Gawd

By waiting to do this they also inflate their review scores from journalist and youtube gamer reviews during that critical first 3-4 months of sales. Where its been show the majority of a games sales takes place.

Do they even have to state it has microtransactions on the box?

18. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

the bean counters have control over the creatives we are heading for an Atari like crash

Revdarian, AthlonXP, R_Type and 4 others like this.
  19. opfreak

opfreak Gawd

shit I don't care about. if its stuff that wont change the game play. Whatever, let fools pay for digital t-shirts.

AlphaAtlas likes this.
  20. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

agree, they can do what ever they want as long as it stays cosmetic only.. the second you can start buying your way to better weapons they can go fk themselves.

21. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Of course, they have to make up the difference they lost on their shitty game. Sad thing is, all the timmy's will buy into it and the cycle will continue.

fadedlogic, Armenius and Waveforme like this.
  22. JR688755

JR688755 n00b

Gaming industry needs to collapse and allow new companies to emerge.

Big business ruined games with microtransactions.

Amost all games are grind fests now and include some form of mt’s.

I remember when things were unlocked in games based on skill achievements - not grinding it out.

Viper16, Bcc335, Iching and 2 others like this.
  23. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Of course it makes sense! There are still so many people with money burning holes in their pocket that they actually support this shit. Feels bad to be the minority here because game companies will simply look in the direction that makes them the most money.

24. RealBeast

RealBeast Gawd

Unfortunately, EA thinks that this is actually the solution. :cry:

25. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

I can't think of a AAA conglomo developer that doesn't. They've all bellied up to the trough and they're stuffing themselves to bursting to make those shares pop-pop-pop.

They will burst sooner or later.

RealBeast and Armenius like this.
  26. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

Makes sense they just lost 21 billion dollars in valuation.

They have to make it up somewhere.

27. Rattle

Rattle 2[H]4U

I just feel bad for the younger people that never knew when gaming was great.

N4CR, aokman, Wrecked Em and 3 others like this.
  28. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Everyone who was happy when they announced "no more premium, updates are free!!111" - this is what we were getting.

There isn't much content in the game and pretty much the entire eastern front is missing. I'd love to see those added to the game along with Soviet weaponry which was so iconic for the war. But we'll end up getting clowns, aliens, and cybernetic arms & rainbow colored face paint along with it.

Cosmetic is a problem as well. If I pay for a war game, it better look like a war game. The problem is customers tend to end up getting something other than what they paid for down the road. Some like yourself may not mind, but I certainly do. If they could include an option to toggle off the shitty cosmetics that don't fit the theme I'd be okay with it, but we know that won't happen.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  29. legcramp

legcramp [H]ardForum Junkie

Meh just cosmetics, some of you guys are just geezers.

30. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

How can games be your business yet still have such a piss-poor understanding of your base. Talk about a living in a suit-and-tie bubble.

Or maybe I'm the one in the bubble. Maybe this shit really is better for the bottomline.

Armenius and R_Type like this.
  31. biggles

biggles [H]ard|Gawd

What a wonderful idea to turn around the negative reception from gamers. What could possibly go wrong with adding microtransactions at this point? Bring on the pay to win!

Armenius and Flogger23m like this.
  32. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

It was better from their bottom line. Ilthey just got to greedy and push MT harder. People are pushing back on their bull shit finnaly but they stl don't get the picture.

33. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah but the problem is, that grind is a vice to keep you playing, and plenty of people are willing to get past it. That’s why these companies are doing this. There is a huge market of people willing to pay to win, or pay to make their gun pink or whatever. Game companies have figured this out, and it will continue until we, as gamers, stop feeding it and validating their business model.

N4CR and Armenius like this.
  34. TordanGow

TordanGow [H]ard|Gawd

Devil's advocate - How is it wrong, it's just like real life. People who have more money get to rig things in their favor. The game can teach kids valuable life lessons such as: it doesn't matter if you try harder or are better, you will lose to others simply because they inherited a crap-ton of money and you didn't. This game is just like America, get used to it.

vegeta535 likes this.
  35. Nanogrip

Nanogrip Limp Gawd

EA: Would you like one finger in your bumhole?

Gamer: No I do not wan*

EA: *Shoves entire fist in*

36. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Ugh. That Tweaktown article is disgusting. Could they possibly suck EA's dick any harder?

vegeta535 and Armenius like this.
  37. JR688755

JR688755 n00b

Not necessarily....I played games where I had to keep playing because of a skill based unlock/achievemen - not to be confused with grinding. Example - win a match with at least X kills and no deaths, X kills in X amount of time, etc.

Those kept me playing games and unlocking them was so much more fun than a grind fest.

38. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

EA GAMES "CHARGE EVERYTHING"

39. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

Lets be honest, the absence of premium has little correlation to the surreptitious introduction of microtransactions and more to do with EA/DICE being run by a cohort of despicable corporate fucktards. If they thought their customers would tolerate it, they would without a doubt implement every anti-consumer monetisation strategy available under the sun, but they know after the BattleTurd 2 debacle that the backlash would be intense. Premium has always been a terrible element of BF because it accelerates the depopulation of the player base, but EA/DICE didn't give a fuck because it suited their biennial release schedule.

The fact they are still forging ahead with this in the face of flagging sales just demonstrates how delusional, desperate and out of touch they are with their customers. I have seen BFV discounted by 50% for weeks now at both physical retailers and online storefronts, and the consensus seems to be that no one is interested in part because of EA/DICE's bullshit. Shoving microtransactions in at this stage isn't going to improve sales, it will just drive more people away from another one of EA's flapship brands. At this stage they have literally driven every one of their major IP's into the ground.

vegeta535 likes this.
  40. Satyrist

Satyrist Gawd

Nonsense.

It just becomes more amusing to see how much further it could be kicked by the consumer afterwards.