Battlefield V Follows Call of Duty Back to World War II This Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The next Battlefield game will be Battlefield V, and it will take the series back to its WW2 roots. The leaked image of the title screen suggests that the game will carry on the aesthetic from the last games, and it should be due out in October.

This is an entirely new Battlefield game and not a remaster of the 2005 Battlefield 2. EA will reveal it soon, and it will launch it before the end of this calendar year. EA and Battlefield developer DICE decided on this strategy several years ago. They knew they wanted to get away from the modern and near-future settings for a while, but it also didn’t want to burn the WWII setting right away.

Well, unless they can re-capture the glory of Battlefield 2, 3 and 4, all the things that made those great games, I'm just not going to be interested. Maps have gotten smaller, too much running and button mashing gunning. Microtransactions are a huge fear. Pay to win, yeah ..... no.

But, if it comes out and the maps are a nice big size like in past Battlefields to where you can actually spend a few minutes on strategic placement and setup, for example, if you're a sniper, flanking, etc etc. The new Battlefield took a lot of that out for the sake of faster cramped enforcement of game-play.

Very interesting- I'm excited to see where they go with this.

One hope: that they up the battlefield destruction, beyond Bad Company 2 levels. They've upped destruction 'events' in the interceding games, but nothing quite compared to the straight up leveling entire playspaces of that game!

Can`t wait , i played and loved most BF titles , BF1 was really good and i would love to see them make a WW2 setting again (1942 was one of my all time fav`s , especially with mods such as Forgotten Hope)

Well, unless they can re-capture the glory of Battlefield 2, 3 and 4, all the things that made those great games, I'm just not going to be interested. Maps have gotten smaller, too much running and button mashing gunning. Microtransactions are a huge fear. Pay to win, yeah ..... no.

But, if it comes out and the maps are a nice big size like in past Battlefields to where you can actually spend a few minutes on strategic placement and setup, for example, if you're a sniper, flanking, etc etc. The new Battlefield took a lot of that out for the sake of faster cramped enforcement of game-play.

BF2 3 4 represent a progression of everything terrible about BF. BF1942 and BF:V are the only ones in the series worth a shit. The rest just have prettier and prettier graphics but horrifically unbalanced loadouts because they are balanced around over powered unlocks and achievement bullshit. Also let us not forget EA's deliberate shitting on the modding community which is the only reason BF1942 survived long enough to earn enough attention to cause all the sequels. So unless they are talking about going back to what made 1942 great and full on supporting the modding community..fuck whatever unbalanced eye candy piece of trash this is.

BF4 is amazing. Hope they can give us that structure in a WW2 time frame with tons of content.

I'd really like a solid WWII game, but that just won't be the case these days. Until they get rid of the leveling up portion of the game, that will influence so many aspects negatively I don't see ever picking one of these titles up again. What made the old games good was that anyone could throw together a server, do whatever they wanted with it, and people could just hop on and enjoy. Everything now has to be standardized in order to be ranked for the leveling game, so that alone kills any creativity. Then certainly players with a ton of time or money on their hands can just get a huge advantage over everyone, so it's not really down to skill anymore.

Like aireoth said, it's EA so don't expect them to change their formula because it's a money making proposition. The only way we're going to get a real WWII shooter is if a 3rd party makes it. I haven't seen any interest in this so far, and unfortunately the one small game (Verdun) that I've tried was stupidly unforgiving to new players. (You start out with a pistol only and everyone else on the map has sniper rifles. You won't even be able to see who shot you before you die)

My vision for a good balance is basically the opposite of what everyone does. If you want a truly balanced game you need to give everyone the best weapons at the beginning, and start peeling them back until you only have a pistol or a knife left. This is completely counter to the doom / quake formula that set the precedent, but you could figure out ways to make the game progressively more challenging for better players but find other ways to reward them when they succeed. Most games now are designed to just let the good people steamroll the bad players, making it easier and easier for them. I'd love to see someone who actually cares about game design find a way to reverse this. Imagine a TDM map where you get 10 points a kill for like the first 5 kills, but then each bracket additional kills give less points and you have worse weapons to get them. You'll really have to start working hard to overcome the fact that a newbie that might only have killed 2 people will get 10 points when they finally get another kill, but you might only get 3 each time you kill them. Will some people not play a game like this because they just want to have that unfair advantage and feel better about themselves? Probably. Will real veterans love the additional challenge it gives and make them want to keep playing something that is truly hard to win at? Until someone makes a game like this I really don't know.

BF1 was fun, but Im not too sure I'll buy this new one I feel it'll play too much like BF1. Also the premium pass, not sure if it's worth it, DICE kinda stopped giving a shit at the end, not making operations, and I don't like how I barely played some DLC maps due to lack of players.

Are we forgetting that BF1 has gotten so full of hackers that it's almost impossible to find a room without a hacker and you know they will have hacks out before the game even gets out of Beta.

I'll pass.

To hell with item modding, character progression, micro transactions. Give me a B17 full of bombs, a full load of gunners, and a map way too small for planes period. Sweet, sweet tears from the idiots who kept insisting of taking the single bridge choke point by the windmill on that map. There were three bridges available, yet they'd still continuously line up in a pretty column mid map for my carpet bombing pleasure. I'd generously roll to the side and fly to allow my gunners to strafe anything still breathing and the enemy plane spawns each run. Simple epic carnage was what made BF1942 so enjoyable. The desert Combat mod made it really damn fun. Maybe one of the other oldsters here got to enjoy one of my random demonstrations of being able to loop de loop every chopper through the stone arch in the canyon :p

TlDr: not buying unless it gets back to its dumber roots. I just want to log on after work or when i can't sleep at night and wax some fools then bounce. Don't have the motivation to have to upgrade stuff or be gimped.

Bf4 was a fun game. Other than the br's hacking and then using latency as an advatage the game was fairly balanced. Hated bf"1" in all respects. Hope they turn back the clock to 1942 but we all know that won't happen.

The rest just have prettier and prettier graphics but horrifically unbalanced loadouts because they are balanced around over powered unlocks and achievement bullshit.

Yeah, no. In BF3/4 the vehicle unlocks are needed but they don't take too long to get. When it comes to the weapons in many cases the best were the default ones in BF3. The best in BF4 can be unlocked very quickly. BF1 it is very lopsided even more towards snipers and only a handful of weapons are worth using. At least in BF4 just about every weapon is good. If it is indeed WWII I will take a similar stance to BF1. Not interested. I'll buy it when it is cheap (50% + off) if I have nothing else new to play. I'll continue playing BF4. Screw the lame duck trend followers copying CoD jumping out of modern times.

I don't get the hate bf1 got. I thought it was a blast, there was no p2w bullshit, unlocks came quick and easy and the start weapons were perfectly capable if you didn't suck.

Maps were smaller than previous games but were large enough, game felt nicely balanced and I had a ton of fun with it. Looking forward to this one

Last edited:
I just want the Forgotten Hope 2 BF2 mod (super accurate timeperiod weapons and vehicles) gameplay with better graphics. Is that too much to ask for? With EA, I would say yes. And for all of those who want mod support, forget about it. EA will never support mods again.

The thing I really miss the most from 1942 is the single player campaign with bots.

Being able to play all the maps in progression to win a war and adjust the Bot ability level as a challenge was so fantastic offline.

Yeah, no. In BF3/4 the vehicle unlocks are needed but they don't take too long to get. When it comes to the weapons in many cases the best were the default ones in BF3. The best in BF4 can be unlocked very quickly. BF1 it is very lopsided even more towards snipers and only a handful of weapons are worth using. At least in BF4 just about every weapon is good. If it is indeed WWII I will take a similar stance to BF1. Not interested. I'll buy it when it is cheap (50% + off) if I have nothing else new to play. I'll continue playing BF4. Screw the lame duck trend followers copying CoD jumping out of modern times.

You literally just agreed with my point. The fact that unlocks aren't anything more than a cosmetic difference is a massive problem in an FPS. It is a shooter..Not an MMO.

I'm huge battlefield fanboy. BF1 is far from my favorite of the series but I still have put 1000+ hours into it, just like I did BF2142, BF3, BF4 etc. But i also don't think I'm your typical FPS player, I see people clamoring for unlocks and customization and I've never cared for any of it. I loved BF 2142, and there were maybe 9 weapons to pick from, 2 primary options per class. I didn't need different optics or different stocks etc. You went up against another player with the same gun, and the better player survived. In the battlefield games I've played, I find a weapon I like and I stick to it, while everyone else jumps from weapon to weapon because it's new. Meh. Not for me, but if people need that depth of customization to stay interested in a game, go for it.

I find myself supporting DICE in whatever decisions they make that'll bring more noobs to the franchise for me to farm. I've always tried different FPS games over the years, and there are certainly aspects I'd wish DICE would adopt into their model, but at the end of day I always come back to BF for the complete package they offer. it's far from perfect, but it's the franchise I most enjoy.

Also my GPU upgrade cycle is tied to DICE's battlefield releases :)

Since BF1 is essentially WWII combat will this one be Vietnam?

(not saying that's a bad thing btw :))

You literally just agreed with my point. The fact that unlocks aren't anything more than a cosmetic difference is a massive problem in an FPS. It is a shooter..Not an MMO.

You're telling me you want obscene unlocks and for only a tiny fraction of the content to be OP and therefore worthwhile? That sounds like an MMO; obscene grind to get a small amount of the best gear that dominates everything else. The good news for you is is that EA agrees with you. Check Battlefront II. ;)

But if you actually played BF3/4, especially 4, you'd know many of the weapons handle differently and aren't just cosmetic changes.

Like aireoth said, it's EA so don't expect them to change their formula because it's a money making proposition. The only way we're going to get a real WWII shooter is if a 3rd party makes it.

Maybe an Arma mod? I haven't played any of those, so I don't know, but that game comes to mind as one that could work well modded to the WW2 era.

Now we've hit full circle on they are out of ideas to recycle into yearly iterative junk. Because they can't stray too far from the proven money making gameplay formula.

Maybe an Arma mod? I haven't played any of those, so I don't know, but that game comes to mind as one that could work well modded to the WW2 era.

Yea maybe. So what's funny is that about 10 minutes after this thread, a friend on steam popped into Batallion 1944. It's basically a COD2 clone with updated graphics.

It has mixed reviews right now, so I'll definitely want to just keep an eye on it and see where it goes. If they fix the bugs I really don't care about some silly matchmaking garbage, that's not needed at all for the game to be good. If you're truly old school you remember just cruising the server browser during peak times until you found the one that you liked playing on. You would pop on with a couple of your friends then all of the sudden the server would start filling up and the night would be on it's way. I'm really interesting in an updated game for LAN parties, so let's hope they can sort out the issues because this could be a winner.

EDIT: Time will tell. Ranked games, leveling up, matchmaking, and warchests are bad. But it sounds like they plan to add offline LAN support, so I'm hoping you can just turn all of that BS off and get to a real game.

Last edited:
You're telling me you want obscene unlocks and for only a tiny fraction of the content to be OP and therefore worthwhile? That sounds like an MMO; obscene grind to get a small amount of the best gear that dominates everything else. The good news for you is is that EA agrees with you. Check Battlefront II. ;)

But if you actually played BF3/4, especially 4, you'd know many of the weapons handle differently and aren't just cosmetic changes.

No..I don't want unlocks Period unless they are strictly cosmetic. You literally contradicted yourself in what you said..go read what I responded too again.

Battlefield should be leading the way on most played games every day. It should be the world's #1 go-to game to kill time in the evening. But no, after BF2 EA happened. And the rest is downhill history. It's looking more and more like Need for Speed. Release as frequently as possible and see how many will buy it.

Yea maybe. So what's funny is that about 10 minutes after this thread, a friend on steam popped into Batallion 1944. It's basically a COD2 clone with updated graphics.

It has mixed reviews right now, so I'll definitely want to just keep an eye on it and see where it goes. If they fix the bugs I really don't care about some silly matchmaking garbage, that's not needed at all for the game to be good. If you're truly old school you remember just cruising the server browser during peak times until you found the one that you liked playing on. You would pop on with a couple of your friends then all of the sudden the server would start filling up and the night would be on it's way. I'm really interesting in an updated game for LAN parties, so let's hope they can sort out the issues because this could be a winner.

EDIT: Time will tell. Ranked games, leveling up, matchmaking, and warchests are bad. But it sounds like they plan to add offline LAN support, so I'm hoping you can just turn all of that BS off and get to a real game.

Battalion1944 is terrible and it will stay that way.

You literally contradicted yourself in what you said..go read what I responded too again.

I didn't. You insisted that the recent games were based around over powered unlocks which is false. Vehicle unlocks are OP against a vehicle with no unlocks, I'll give you that, but again you typically can get all the unlocks within 2 or so hours for most vehicles. In BF4 some of the default weapons are great, in BF3 some of the default weapons were awesome. But practically every weapon in BF4 is worth using and are easy to do good with.

The big problem with BF4 unlocks was the crates which were mainly for different variations. I hated being forced to use that cheap Chinese POS red dot and roll the dice when it came to opening one of those crates. But it turns said Chinese POS red dot works just as well from a gameplay standpoint. I'd be happy if they removed all unlocks, or at least let you choose what to unlock rather than it choosing for you. 10 kills per unlock isn't too crazy because after 30-40 kills (around 2-3 matches of TDM) you'd have all the useful accessories anyways.

everything old is new again.

I only care about bf 2143 if they ever bring it back.

I didn't. You insisted that the recent games were based around over powered unlocks which is false. Vehicle unlocks are OP against a vehicle with no unlocks, I'll give you that, but again you typically can get all the unlocks within 2 or so hours for most vehicles. In BF4 some of the default weapons are great, in BF3 some of the default weapons were awesome. But practically every weapon in BF4 is worth using and are easy to do good with.

The big problem with BF4 unlocks was the crates which were mainly for different variations. I hated being forced to use that cheap Chinese POS red dot and roll the dice when it came to opening one of those crates. But it turns said Chinese POS red dot works just as well from a gameplay standpoint. I'd be happy if they removed all unlocks, or at least let you choose what to unlock rather than it choosing for you. 10 kills per unlock isn't too crazy because after 30-40 kills (around 2-3 matches of TDM) you'd have all the useful accessories anyways.

I've bolded the contradictory part..It either is what I said..or isn't. Your own defense contradicts itself in the very first sentence you typed. It isn't a matter of what you consider a reasonable time to unlock, the fact that you have to unlock stronger anything period is the entire problem. The Balance of BF3/4 is utter and complete bullshit.

I've bolded the contradictory part..It either is what I said..or isn't. Your own defense contradicts itself in the very first sentence you typed. It isn't a matter of what you consider a reasonable time to unlock, the fact that you have to unlock stronger anything period is the entire problem. The Balance of BF3/4 is utter and complete bullshit.

Its easy to spot someone that never played the game they're complaining about, because they're hung up on trivial, non-issues.

Like the people that screamed about Battlepacks purchasable with money being "P2W", when anyone that actually played the game more than an hour would just laugh at that - it's all superfluous cosmetic crap. There was simply no advantage to be gained by paying any extra amount of money.

Anyway, BF3 and 4 were both fantastic and I probably got 500hrs out of each. The starter weapons in each infy class and vehicle were among the best and you'd usually return to them when you were done trying out the later ones. The whole unlock mechanic wasn't designed as a monetization scheme, but to try to keep people engaged. Worked on me, it was fun watching them roll by because they were milestones, and you felt like you were kicking butt.

Last edited:
Back