Battlefield Heroes.

Armoured

Gawd
Anyone get in the beta? If so how is it? I never got a beta key and am just wondering if I'm missing anything or not.

They sent me a key a while back. It was a pain in the ass to set up in Windows 7 for me. Once it started working, it was kindof underwhelming. It has none of the intensity of the previous battlefield games, firefights are a bunch of hopping around spraying whatever weapon your character class is set up with. It was hard to stay with the game for more than 30 minutes ;[

Been watching some videos @ gametrailers and this looks - terrible. I'm way more excited for battlefield 1943 on xbox arcade. Who knows I might get a key and might like it.

Anyone get in the beta? If so how is it? I never got a beta key and am just wondering if I'm missing anything or not.

There are several threads in this forum with impressions of the beta. Long story short, it's very fun and will be very huge imo as a beta tester.

Been watching some videos @ gametrailers and this looks - terrible. I'm way more excited for battlefield 1943 on xbox arcade. Who knows I might get a key and might like it.

You should withhold judgment, it is a very fun game, and super addictive what with the drive to upgrade weapons, armor, skills, etc. Very MMOish in a good way.

They sent me a key a while back. It was a pain in the ass to set up in Windows 7 for me. Once it started working, it was kindof underwhelming. It has none of the intensity of the previous battlefield games, firefights are a bunch of hopping around spraying whatever weapon your character class is set up with. It was hard to stay with the game for more than 30 minutes ;[
Yep, that is pretty much my take on it.

Yep, that is pretty much my take on it.

Would you play any game based on leveling up or upgrading for 20 minutes and complain that it sucked? If you played wow to level 2, would you have any real idea what it was about?

Would you play any game based on leveling up or upgrading for 20 minutes and complain that it sucked? If you played wow to level 2, would you have any real idea what it was about?

I played it for more than 20 minutes. But like KillerPotato stated, it's hard to keep interested for more than about 30 minutes at a time.

Yeah I can't get into the beta. I make it through one battle and I am done for a few days. Then again I have never been a fan of micro transactions so that doesn't help.

I got in through fileplanet, all you need is an account, not a subscription. Not my kind of game, it's pretty frustrating to me, the classes are totally unbalanced.

I played it for more than 20 minutes. But like KillerPotato stated, it's hard to keep interested for more than about 30 minutes at a time.

I would agree with that, but also say: there's enough to it to keep me coming back for more 30 minute stints.
The rounds are quick (5 minutes or less), and you get enough stuff in the first 10 or 12 levels as far as abilities and weapons that it's fun to pick up an play a few rounds at the end of the day. Not a game I could lose an afternoon too; but it's free and a good bit of fun.
They're also supposed to be releasing a new map in the near future, so that will help with the familiarity of the three they've had for most (all?) of the beta.

pretty meh, feels very lagged sorta like WAR did in beta.. it feels like playing an MMOFPS

I would agree with that, but also say: there's enough to it to keep me coming back for more 30 minute stints.
The rounds are quick (5 minutes or less), and you get enough stuff in the first 10 or 12 levels as far as abilities and weapons that it's fun to pick up an play a few rounds at the end of the day. Not a game I could lose an afternoon too; but it's free and a good bit of fun.
They're also supposed to be releasing a new map in the near future, so that will help with the familiarity of the three they've had for most (all?) of the beta.

+1.

same for me, its a good time waster. after a few days of playing it all the time I went back to CSS but still play it for at least an hour everyday so far. if it were less buggy, and had a friends list and a server browser I'd like it more.

i got a beta key today tried it out. like others have said 30 minutes or so and kinda had enough. some other comments i could make but not sure if i can talk about them.

It's fun. I haven't played it for a few weeks though. I stopped playing when they changed weapons to only last for a certain time period (IE: not permanent). Are they still doing it this way?

yea the weapons can be bought for a day or a week. not a good design decision... earlier in the beta there was the option to have a weapon permanently. even though it would require a lot of play time to get the permanent weapons, i still think it was better than what they have now.

It's fun. I haven't played it for a few weeks though. I stopped playing when they changed weapons to only last for a certain time period (IE: not permanent). Are they still doing it this way?
Yeah, I hate that. I think they're still doing it. It's a technique to make you want to keep playing the game so that you don't feel like that item you bought will go to waste.

It'd be fine if there were two time options--one week and permanent--but I think the longest period is one month.

I lost faith in the game when they overshot their original release date by over a year.

And then I played it, and I really lost faith in it after that.

Yeah, I hate that. I think they're still doing it. It's a technique to make you want to keep playing the game so that you don't feel like that item you bought will go to waste.

It'd be fine if there were two time options--one week and permanent--but I think the longest period is one month.

Yep. I was afraid of that. I don't play that much to always be able to get the points to buy monthly weapons. Guess I'll look elsewhere. It is damn fun though. I wish they'd revert back to the 1 day, one week, and permanent system for items.

I played the game a few weeks ago, I thought it was pretty.....weak. But hey, its free, and doesn't need too much computing power to run.

I think they are taking a shot at diving into the world of "give the people the game for free and see if so many people are playing that they will -pay- to make their character look cool". a huge part of the game is internet based. Every time you play you have to login to their website and launch the game from the web. There is a character creation zone online with stats and everything, and you can pay to customize your character.

Not really into the game personally. id rather throw in battlefield 2

Heroes doesn't feel like Battlefield at all. Poor game and a waste of DICE's talent, time and effort. I don't understand why DICE would spend so much time on Heroes when they could be putting resources into getting the game we really want.

I can't help feel this is aimed at the TF2 market, but Valve's game is superior in every conceivable way.

Heroes doesn't feel like Battlefield at all. Poor game and a waste of DICE's talent, time and effort. I don't understand why DICE would spend so much time on Heroes when they could be putting resources into getting the game we really want.

I can't help feel this is aimed at the TF2 market, but Valve's game is superior in every conceivable way.

If it's aimed at the TF2 market they must have never played TF2. TF2 and this should never placed in the same coversation again!!! BH is no more than a 30 min distraction at best. it really is kinda inferior to Quake Live. I mean it is entertaining but I don't see how anyone would play this enough to actually spend money on it. Oh not sure it's been said today WHERE IS BF3 DICE!!!!!

It's a pretty laggy game overall, and I don't know if that's because it just has loose requirements when connecting you to servers like < 250 ping or < 150 ping. Or if the client/server is just kinda buggy because it seems to get worse the longer you play on a server.

The tanks I'd say are probably about right in terms of power, the jeeps are irritating in that I've had friendly teammates purposefully hit me with them to knock me off edges or just see how far they can knock me.

The planes, they fly easily and don't blow up too easily when you hit most things, straight on hits to tree, buildings, cliffs, etc will blow it up, but you can bounce that sucker like a ball off the ground and it'll either take a lot of damage or none and it's usually none. The thing that doesn't jive with this is that the guns on the plane are incredibly weak, like 10 full speed passes wouldn't kill a tank kinda weak. And so inaccurate there's just no hope of killing infantry with the gun, I guess this is why they made it bounce off the ground so you can wing clip people without dieing. And it takes roughly 6 sniper shots to destroy a plane...and it's not hard to hit because it doesn't fly too awful fast. So if you "dive bomb" in slow-mo the snipers can pick you off, but if you do fly by passes you'll probably never kill anything without wingclipping it. I like flying and all, but the only thing it's really good at killing with the guns is jeeps and other planes....and the jeeps aren't used too awful much once they get to the killing grounds.

And I think commandos and soldiers need to be looked at. Grenade spam is incredibly over powered. The skill barely hurts the soldier but will pretty much gib anyone once it's max level, so it's safe for them to use at a very close distance. And commandos just are not fun to play at all. The headshots are pure chance, and even then don't make sense because it seems to only headshot people when a regular sniper round would have killed them anyway.

Beyond that, I suspect many of the "spectacular" commando players who can snipe incredibly well and knife incredibly well are probably using aimbots. I spent a few rounds getting killed across the map while cloaked and walking along a high spot, and 2 knife shotted with full health and the max level gunner shield up. Hope they have admin utilities for their servers because I suspect the cheating will only be worse tomorrow with all the keys going out.

this game is soo crap its nto even funny. i played it on a mates machine a few days ago and i know why this game is free.

its full of bugs, lag, sluggish controls and overal a disappointing game period. why is DICE wasting time on this when they could be working on battlefield 3 which MOST fans want?

This really is a shit game

this game is soo crap its nto even funny. i played it on a mates machine a few days ago and i know why this game is free.

its full of bugs, lag, sluggish controls and overal a disappointing game period. why is DICE wasting time on this when they could be working on battlefield 3 which MOST fans want?

This really is a shit game

This kind of verifies my suspicions of the game.

The lag is incredible at times. I look at it as a game I can sit down with for 20 minutes, then get up and walk away. It's fun for 20 minutes or so at a crack.

the game is a ripoff of Manga Fighter (and maybe others before it) which does the same exact thing. You get money and buy stuff that lasts X amount of time.

The lag is incredible at times. I look at it as a game I can sit down with for 20 minutes, then get up and walk away. It's fun for 20 minutes or so at a crack.

the thing is that the player count is low. 16 players can play on one server(well the ones i was on) and still have such shit lag?

Pathetic

the thing is that the player count is low. 16 players can play on one server(well the ones i was on) and still have such shit lag?

Pathetic

I have no idea why there is such lag, but every server I have been on has it. I expected a much smoother experience. That's why 20 minutes is about all I can deal with.

I played two hours lastnight, first time I've played since the update and it looks like the disconnection problems are almost gone, i only got disconnected once. I didn't lag much at all. I get a spike every now and then.

I got one of the beta keys from Gamespot and for a free game to waste some time, it is pretty enjoyable. I have not had any lag issues either. Although I doubt I will be paying any money simply to make my character look cool and especially when I have to keep purchasing my items every month.

Question?

I got the key, I registered, made an account. Now how the hell do I play? It says nothing on the site telling me to play now. Is there something I have to download?

Question?

I got the key, I registered, made an account. Now how the hell do I play? It says nothing on the site telling me to play now. Is there something I have to download?

once you're logged in to the site there will be a big 'play now' button on the top of the page. click that and it will download a plugin for your browser which you will have to install. when you've installed it, the plugin will download the game files to your pc. the folder is about 320mb in size but the download is compressed so it's slightly smaller. once you've downloaded the game you'll be able to play.

Back