Battlefield: Hardline

You must be mistaken, according to DICE modding is a declining trend. :p

Agreed, article bit old but Patrick Bach is smoking rocks and should pass some around. Take for example another game GTA IV which thanks to ENB mods and the like has kept the game going on for years with a larger community base then it was when it came out on the PC. Counterstrike and a lot of the early Valve engine based games and if I'm mistaken Unreal started out as mods and look where they ended up.

You must be mistaken, according to DICE modding is a declining trend. :p

Makes sense...develop games with zero modding capabilities, then say that modding is a "declining trend"... :rolleyes:

You_don%27t_say%3F.jpg

Makes sense...develop games with zero modding capabilities, then say that modding is a "declining trend"... :rolleyes:

The real problem isn't that BF games lack modding capabilities (though there are apparently some issues with DICE/EA not 100% outright owning all the tech in Frostbite, and an editor made publicly available would supposedly incur significant licensing costs to EA - or so the story goes from a DICE developer that spoke at a gamedev conference years ago), the problem is EA seems to have a hardon for maintaining parity between platforms. Much like Ubisoft and others in that regard as we saw with Watchdogs. And the only reason there are multiple platforms is because consoles became a thing.

Not every AAA publisher has the vision of a Valve or Bethesda Game Studios to make a multi-platform game but then give the PC version something the other platforms can't take advantage of and will even bitch about. Those kinds of companies are the exceptions these days.

No doubt the real crux of this is that EA and companies like them (rightly) believe modding would undermine DLC sales. Though FWIW that didn't seem to slow down Skyrim - BGS found a way to do DLC's *and* provide modding once the DLC's shipped. Bottom line, there are a multitude of barriers, and a lot of companies just look at it like increasing a game's longevity doesn't increase profits and undermines their annualized release cycle.

Last edited:

Probably motivated by pre-orders being in the toilet, we all know that EA wouldn't hesitate to squeeze out and sell a malformed turd if they thought they could make a shit tonne of money and get away with it.

The real problem isn't that BF games lack modding capabilities (though there are apparently some issues with DICE/EA not 100% outright owning all the tech in Frostbite, and an editor made publicly available would supposedly incur significant licensing costs to EA - or so the story goes from a DICE developer that spoke at a gamedev conference years ago)

The explanation given by DICE has changed over the years each time the community has attempted to call bullshit. First they said that the tools used were too complex, however when screen caps of their software emerged various people in the BF community argued that they appeared to be of no greater complexity than anything else that was freely available.

Then they claimed that the didn't want to release mod tools because of the potential for hackers to exploit the engine *derisive snort*, kind of hilarious considering that both BF3 and 4 have been infested with hackers. There is also a reference in that article that they wanted to maintain uniformity across platforms which is a bullshit cowardly excuse.

Then they peddled the proprietary middleware excuse, but you have to wonder how genuine that explanation is when fully developed and featured engines like cryengine and UDK are made freely available to the community for non-commercial purposes. And even if that was the case, would the additional licensing cost really be that much for a behemoth like EA? I really doubt it.

What it comes down to is that EA is greedy as fuck. I think we can all agree on that one. :p

Three more month for this monster to be released I suspect this game will get a lot of flack I hope they switch out the game modes a bit. Plus it's a realistic cops and robbers shooter which isn't going to go along with Anita Sarkeesian the public and media.

Holy shit!

It's even more low-rent than I remember. Too bad it doesn't even have that B-movie it's-so-bad-it's-good feel.

edit: watched more of it and that dialogue, both the writing and the voice actors themselves, is what I expect in Postal or some other piece of shit. lol

I would never pay full price for this but when it drops down under $30 I might buy it for some laughs.

I would never pay full price for this but when it drops down under $4.99 I might buy it for some laughs.

Yeah that gameplay looks pretty damn arcade-ish. From what I can tell the only thing they improved on is the firearm damage mechanics. I can't stand having to shoot enemies 10 times in the chest with a rifle to kill them in BF4. Seems like its slightly easier to take down enemies. Unless the campaign turns out to be amazing this is not something I would drop $60 on....no way.

Yeah that gameplay looks pretty damn arcade-ish. From what I can tell the only thing they improved on is the firearm damage mechanics. I can't stand having to shoot enemies 10 times in the chest with a rifle to kill them in BF4. Seems like its slightly easier to take down enemies. Unless the campaign turns out to be amazing this is not something I would drop $60 on....no way.

This is totally inaccurate. Almost all rifles/carbines kill in 4-5 chest hits at medium to close range.

http://symthic.com/bf4-weapon-chart...n=1&assault=1&engineer=1&sort=Class&adsc=DESC

edit: watched more of it and that dialogue, both the writing and the voice actors themselves, is what I expect in Postal or some other piece of shit. lol

Hey, Postal was actually FUN to play, and amusing in its own right.

This, on the other hand...

I've played and liked every single battlefield. So far this does nothing for me, but we'll see. I'd rather see and updated 1942, Vietnam, or 2142

I've played and liked every single battlefield. So far this does nothing for me, but we'll see. I'd rather see and updated 1942, Vietnam, or 2142

So far, I'm sort of seeing the opposite of what I've ever seen in a Battlefield game. No part of me is interested in this games multiplier. The new modes just don't really look enjoyable. I'm cautiously looking forward to the single player though. It looks very acradish, but that's not really a bad thing so long as you know that going into it. It's probably super cheesy, but it does look fun. That said, no way in hell a single player battlefield campaign is going to be worth $60. I can wait.

I had a lot of fun during the first beta, most people didn't know wtf they were doing so it was easy to dominate, have some funny videos from it. Looking forward to the next one, curious to see how they've toned down heli's, rpg's, fast attack truck, etc. Lots o' nerds will pump their chests about how they "absolutely won't play it" and like clockwork many of them will end up playing anyway. Bros are so predictable.

And Visceral seems to actually give a crap about this game, I definitely get a much more positive vibe from this developer than the smug and standoffish DICE sweden team that produced BF4, so we shall see.

Last edited:
Are they merging the latest fixes/gameplay changes like the whole medbag thing from BF4 into Hardline or is this going to be like it was going from BF3 to BF4 ..lets forget about all the changes and bug fixes that were made and start a fresh cesspool of stagnant donkey diarrhea dump!

Then they have the most incredible spread patterns of all time as 4 - 5 chest shots will only alert them to your presence in BF4.

He did say "chest hits" not "chest shots". You can't just spray someone down at 30m with the AEK-971, you need to aim and burst.

I think most people just have atrocious aim. bf4db.com is really enlightening in this regard as you can see how you compare to the average player in terms of accuracy with various weapons.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Fuck Hardline. Hopefully Battlefront is good but I'll be waiting for reviews on that one.

Is there going to be a second beta? I found the first beta/alpha/whatever to be odd and dull game mode wise.

Is there going to be a second beta? I found the first beta/alpha/whatever to be odd and dull game mode wise.

Yep. It's going to be an open beta, on every platform the game is releasing on. Two maps in either conquest and hotwire. No date or timeframe has been announced yet.

Don't buy this game if the "net-code" debacle from bf4 is not changed from giving high pinging idiots an advantage or you're rewarding bad design.

Yeah, I'm not going to be picking this up day one. BF4 is better now, but animations (which may be unrelated to net code) are still buggy. To be fair most games have it. Shooting someone in the head will often make them play a hit animation and their body will move, but they will still show 100% health when they kill you. You just have to ignore it.

I'll wait for reviews of Hardline, although the previous alpha made me rather uninterested. The police/thieves theme doesn't appeal to me either. I want main battle tanks. Only reason I might get it is if the BF4 population dies which it might. I am not a fan of sequels being released every year because they kill off the old game so quickly.

Or I might see how that Toxic (spelling) turns out. Maybe Star Wars Battlefront will be a nice change of pace to.

I am not a fan of sequels being released every year because they kill off the old game so quickly.

BF4 came out in 2013, and this isn't a BF4 sequel. Nor is it going to kill BF4, just like BF4 didn't kill BF3 -- still plenty of people playing both games.

Last edited:
Is there any reason to believe this game will be less susceptible to hackers?

Just left a game with a guy who went 82-6 k/d with the starter LMG on BF4 and frankly it had me pretty discouraged.

November 2013

And Hardline was originally meant for late 2014 (~1 year after BF4). They simply delayed the game; probably a good thing to do that considering the BF4 launch. I also don't care what you call it, but Hardline is a sequel to BF4. Much like Vietnam was a sequel to 1942. It surely isn't an expansion pack and isn't being marketed as one.

The gold and pink camo guns look pretty terrible to. Very CoD like, which is full of gibberish and trash content. Battlefield kept a fine line between being classy with modern features (unlocks/customization) and having too much junk. Personally I hate that kind of stuff because pink camo weapons/vehicles really kills my immersion in the game.

This game would be something else with a Team Deathmatch close quarters type maps and 64 players
cops killing robbers.

Actually do preorder it. Just do it on Origin. This way if launch is broken you can easily get a refund.

Wow. I just looked up pricing in Canada on Origin. Standard edition is $70. Digital Deluxe is $80. That extra $10 gets you 10 Gold Battlepacks, a Suppression pack and a Precision pack (whatever the hell those are).

Or you could save your money and wait to see if it's any good.

Back