Battlefield H.D. Content For XBOX 360

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
So I was all excited to get Battlefield 3 today and when I popped in my disk, I was prompted to insert disk 1 (Multiplayer disk) to install H.D. pack for high definition quality. So I spent 10 minutes deleting files from my 4 GB XBOX. Then I was alerted with an error telling me I need a "real" XBOX hard drive to install this. So basically my XBOX 360 can't play Battlefield 3 in "high definition" which really upsets me. Is there anything I can do?

Buy a HDD. The HD textures aren't going to fit on a measly 4GB of flash.

How much hard drive space did you have prior to install? I'm assuming it can't be that big

I called my local video game store and demanded a refund. At first they gave me the whole "you opened it" blah blah blah Millennium Act jargon but I explained I feel misled. I paid $60 for a new game in which I can't enjoy in high definition due to me having an incapable XBOX. I feel buyers should at least be notified with a B.S. sticker or by sales associates that makes the buyer aware that the game can't be played in H.D.

Regardless of what XBOX I have, I should be able to enjoy all my games the same or at least be notified of the limitations before I buy.

You could always join us here in the future and buy a bigger hdd. I've had the 200GB drive since MW2 (since mine is the MW2 Xbox).

You're inability to research your purchase if the stores fault? Interesting logic.

Its 2011. Get a HDD.

You should research on plugging in a 16GB flash drive (or larger HDD, it will do 16GB max) into the XBOX. I bought my 4GB XBOX two weeks ago and will use an old flash drive when I get that 4GB full.

flash drive does not work. you will need the HDD. I think its stupid IMO but alas I grabbed a drive as well as the game.

God forbid you guys need more room/extra accessories for a newer more capable game that pushes past the limits of a bare console...

So I was all excited to get Battlefield 3 today and when I popped in my disk, I was prompted to insert disk 1 (Multiplayer disk) to install H.D. pack for high definition quality. So I spent 10 minutes deleting files from my 4 GB XBOX. Then I was alerted with an error telling me I need a "real" XBOX hard drive to install this. So basically my XBOX 360 can't play Battlefield 3 in "high definition" which really upsets me. Is there anything I can do?

You also cannot play Halo Reach online co-op without a HDD. Just a heads up before you buy that and have to make another thread :p

You chose to purchase the console version with extremely limited storage pace. The side effect of that is that you simply don't have the storage space available for optional content. Just like you can't install the HD pack, you also wouldn't be able to install large packs of free DLC for various games. They don't need to put disclaimers on the package for optional content. No one owes you a refund.

This has been known for several months now, its not new. Best of luck.

You should research on plugging in a 16GB flash drive (or larger HDD, it will do 16GB max) into the XBOX. I bought my 4GB XBOX two weeks ago and will use an old flash drive when I get that 4GB full.

flash drive does not work. you will need the HDD. I think its stupid IMO but alas I grabbed a drive as well as the game.

21geecdotlsl500aa300.jpg

So even something like this wouldn't work?

To OP is this a fat or slim 360? to my knowledge the old 360 hard drives are not compatible with the slim design. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Last edited:
I called my local video game store and demanded a refund. At first they gave me the whole "you opened it" blah blah blah Millennium Act jargon but I explained I feel misled. I paid $60 for a new game in which I can't enjoy in high definition due to me having an incapable XBOX. I feel buyers should at least be notified with a B.S. sticker or by sales associates that makes the buyer aware that the game can't be played in H.D.

Regardless of what XBOX I have, I should be able to enjoy all my games the same or at least be notified of the limitations before I buy.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...l-required-to-see-the-real-battlefield-3.aspx

The non-HD texture version on the disc was made for people without the HDD. I don't think it's misleading to expect someone to have an HDD for the HD textures. If you want the full experience then you should have an XBOX capable of delivering the full experience, which involves an HDD.

You can't expect to buy a console without all the features but expect to have access to all of game features. Right? It's like buying a non-network capable console, then complaining you can't play online because the box didn't say "requires Ethernet connection on console to play online".

You're inability to research your purchase if the stores fault? Interesting logic.

Its 2011. Get a HDD.

If it wasn't advertised on the box then I dont blame him. You can't expect everyone to be clamouring over the internet finding every little detail about a game, there should be enough information at the point of sale.

There's a reason PC games have recommended and required system requirements on the box. There's a reason why games that require an internet connection state on the box "requires internet connection" or "requires internet connection to access X part of game".

Last edited:
Did you think people bought 250 GB, and now 320 GB HDD for their 360's just to store clothes for their avatars?

I bought my first xbox 360 about a month ago, and despite that I never intended to get BF3 for anything but my PC I knew the 360 version needed a hard drive for HD (there was even at a story about it on this very site.) I also knew that getting an xbox without a hard drive would put some limit what I could do with some games, so to avoid that I decided to get one with with the drive.

what's next, bitch because you can't install a game to the onboard flash because it's full, and you felt "misled?"
bitch because you can't download all these Live Arcade games because the onboard flash is already full?

where were you misled? Was the game advertised as having HD textures without the install requirement?

21geecdotlsl500aa300.jpg

So even something like this wouldn't work?

To OP is this a fat or slim 360? to my knowledge the old 360 hard drives are not compatible with the slim design. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

why would this not work? it's the Microsoft-branded XBox HDD. :p

and yes, the old 360 drives can be used, but must be removed from the housing.

The OP should be happy enough they designed this version of BF3 to run at all without any hard drive addon as they could of easily forced it seeing how the PS3 and PC have these in every unit.

Its 2011. Get a HDD.

I'm with the OP. The problem now is that things are starting to get WAY more complicated for the average consumer:

Only in HD if... you install this (rage on 360 included - at least for streaming)
Only online if... you purchased new and have the online pass
Only physical warfare dlc if... you preordered here
Karkand pack free if... you purchase limited edition

Things have gotten pretty complicated and there's a lot of fluff that goes along with these releases. Hasn't being able to buy any game for a system without worrying about compatibility always been one of the main benefits of consoles?

Should the OP have a HD? Sure, but by God, take a step back and relate to where he's coming from. From his standpoint, it is a bit ridiculous to have such a limitation present on a new game without making sure all consumers understand said limitation.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...l-required-to-see-the-real-battlefield-3.aspx

The non-HD texture version on the disc was made for people without the HDD. I don't think it's misleading to expect someone to have an HDD for the HD textures. If you want the full experience then you should have an XBOX capable of delivering the full experience, which involves an HDD.

You can't expect to buy a console without all the features but expect to have access to all of game features. Right? It's like buying a non-network capable console, then complaining you can't play online because the box didn't say "requires Ethernet connection on console to play online".

It could be seen as misleading by some. Do you need an HD to play Gears of War on 360? Or BFBC2? Those are all enjoyed in HD by everyone with or without a hd. That's a tad different than not having a network card...

I'm with the OP. The problem now is that things are starting to get WAY more complicated for the average consumer:

Only in HD if... you install this (rage on 360 included - at least for streaming)
Only online if... you purchased new and have the online pass
Only physical warfare dlc if... you preordered here
Karkand pack free if... you purchase limited edition

Things have gotten pretty complicated and there's a lot of fluff that goes along with these releases. Hasn't being able to buy any game for a system without worrying about compatibility always been one of the main benefits of consoles?

Should the OP have a HD? Sure, but by God, take a step back and relate to where he's coming from. From his standpoint, it is a bit ridiculous to have such a limitation present on a new game without making sure all consumers understand said limitation.

Well my issue is that he has a stripped down 360 and then is surprised that it comes with limitations.

Note that the game itself plays on the 360 with or without a hard drive, but if you want to install the HD pack you need the drive.

Well my issue is that he has a stripped down 360 and then is surprised that it comes with limitations.

Note that the game itself plays on the 360 with or without a hard drive, but if you want to install the HD pack you need the drive.

That's true. I'll give you that.

I still see his frustration that even though there are limitations to an arcade unit, it never was marketed as the "your games will look worse 360". Other than Halo Reach, I know of no other disc titles that the arcade version limits...

Should the OP go buy an HD or get a 360 with an HD? Yeah, I would never suggest an arcade unit to anyone...

Consoles are becoming more like PCs all the time. Before, it was just pop in the disc/cartridge and play. Now, its install a day-one game patch, install firmware update to console, install the game to the HDD (especially with the PS3). Now, we even have minimum and recommended specs for games on consoles. The game may not look identical on more than one console! :p

Yeah, but it should be reasonably well advertised that's gonna be a limitation, coz honestly, I dont see how someone could mystically know that no HDD results in worse graphics. When I think no HDD, I think things like no storage for game videos, movies, music, perhaps running out of space for saves and having to delete things to get the extra space required, maybe having worse load times as you can't install things. Those are the things that come to my mind when I think "no HDD".

Of course the OP should realise that not having a HDD might have limitations, but I think its reasonable to assume "High Definition textures require minimum X storage space" should be written on the box. Its not something people would know a priori.

I looked at the lensoftruth comparison, and even though there is a difference, I don't think it warrants the purchase of an obscenely overpriced peripheral. Even with the "HD" pack installed the game looks like ass.

Yeah, but it should be reasonably well advertised that's gonna be a limitation, coz honestly, I dont see how someone could mystically know that no HDD results in worse graphics. When I think no HDD, I think things like no storage for game videos, movies, music, perhaps running out of space for saves and having to delete things to get the extra space required, maybe having worse load times as you can't install things. Those are the things that come to my mind when I think "no HDD".

Of course the OP should realise that not having a HDD might have limitations, but I think its reasonable to assume "High Definition textures require minimum X storage space" should be written on the box. Its not something people would know a priori.

If you are gaming on a console I would think graphics aren't a primary concern for that consumer...

If you are gaming on a console I would think graphics aren't a primary concern for that consumer...
And why not? Because they didn't want to spend $1000 on a PC? That's a bit of a silly thing to say. Just because PC has better graphics doesn't mean graphics aren't important to the console gamer as well, maybe they are and maybe they aren't, especially if the console player is playing on a larger TV where low resolution textures would look worse.

Its like saying just because someone bought a family car, power isn't important, otherwise they would have bought a sports car. Maybe its not, but maybe it is.

OP is mentally challenged for thinking he's going to install any sort of game/texture install to the internal 4 GBs of storage (in addition too whatever else he needs to be stored on the drive). Every game install I've done has taken around 6-7 GBs. If you want faster loading time, or in this case, higher res textures since the optical drive can't stream them fast enough, then you're going to need a HDD.

What's even more baffling is that he took the game back just because he couldn't have these moderately prettier textures. If you really wanted to play this game, then you wouldn't be buying it for the visuals and it shouldn't be a deal breaker by any means if you care anything about the core gameplay experience.

I modded my own HDD like 3 years ago for ~$40. So either read up on how to do it or pony up the cash to M$ if you want to fully utilize your console. Every console for the past decade (and some even older) has had these semi-optional accessories in some form or another for some/all games. I'm sorry, but I can't sympathize with you, OP.

I don't know why you guys are jumping all over him, the HD installation is 1.5GB, he has available space, why is it an issue? unless the flash is too slow to load the textures, it should allow the installation.

And this is why the console should come with a hdd as standard, splintering the userbase like this is retarded. It doesn't matter how big the install size is, if you are going to make this a feature then it should be available to all customers....not those that either bought the more expensive version or won't spring for the expensive addon.

The HD pack makes a difference

The level of detail afforded on the 360 version by the Texture Pack install makes it worthwhile to install. The game is totally playable without, albeit blander than normal.

I ran the game the first night without installing it and played for about 4-5 hours. Last night, I installed the HD pack and played for a good 5 hours +. Doing this, going from standard to the texture pack, you'll notice it immediately. If you don't, it won't be as apparent without the contrast and compare.

On a decent sized HDTV, it's going to be readily apparent vs. the standard version that the overall sharpness of the picture has increased, and that many of the textures are now highly detailed when the pack is installed.

The models also have increased detail all around, and a lot of that is going to be hard to tell on a youtube comparison video, but when the game is running, it makes a hell of a difference.

regardless of the above, there are still a lot of flat and bland textures in the game. You can look at rocky emplacement and inches apart on your screen a rock will have a ton of detail, and it's direct neighbor will look bland and crappy.

I can deal with all of that, my main complaint about the game in general is the fact that they seem to have lost their F'ing minds with all the bloom, sun glare, and extreme HDR that is going on in the game.

Back