Battlefield Bad Company 2 vs Battlefield 2/2142

mmarsh

Limp Gawd
BF2 BC is coming out next month and I was wondering if you BF PC fans were planning on getting it?

BF2/2142 is my favorite MPFPS of all time, but I never played BC on the console. My biggest worry is that I will be dissappointed with BC2 because it will be a "lite" version of the BF series. I know that it will be limited to 32 players (as opposed to 64)

I guess what I really want is a BF3, which is supposedly coming, but I suspect we wont hear anything about it until this is shoved out the door.

I hope we get a real BF soon, because I am rather dissappointed with COD: MF2.

2142 was pretty awesome, BF2 was kinda lame. I would be playing more 2142 but it had a major problem with windows 7 on my system, and my friends system which is basically the same. no idea why, and didnt spend alot of time looking into it.

BF2 is much better than BC2, make no mistake. But BC2 will tie me over until BF3.

I could never get into BF2...for me, it was spawn, die, spawn, die. BFBC2 has been a much more positive experience, and I'm guessing it's because they removed prone. I know people will hate on that, but it's my honest belief that it actually helped the game.

I could never get into BF2...for me, it was spawn, die, spawn, die. BFBC2 has been a much more positive experience, and I'm guessing it's because they removed prone. I know people will hate on that, but it's my honest belief that it actually helped the game.

I was never big on the dolphin drivers, but at the same time not having prone is having me die more. When I see a sniper aiming at me or I see a guy coming up, prone would save me. Now all I can do is crouch and it doesn't matter, that sniper will still snipe me ;(

I miss prone, but the game will be better for it.

I am a BF2142 nut. Played it everyday the last few years. I can honestly say I like BFBC2 more than BF2142. THE biggest reason is the destructible environment. I went back to playing 2142 after playing BC2 a few days...can't do it.

The graphics are the 2nd reason for me. Small things like snow spray and destroyed vehicle smoke just adds a sense of realism that none of the other BF games have done up till this point.

The prone thing is a non issue for me at this point. I HATED that they removed it, but they did such a fantastic job of giving you cover all over the place (at just the right heights for standing and kneeling) that prone seems totally unnecessary. The only people who probably going to really miss it are lifelong snipers. I used to be skeptic of the reason for lack of prone being "faster paced" game play. But I think they are correct. It means you really must move after a few kills if you aren't playing with total noobs. I actually can say I like the change.

Overall I think you will like it.

Gonna have to say I prefer the game play of BC2 over BF2/2142. Some of the maps in those games were huge just for the sake of being huge. BC2 maps give everyone plenty of room to move around and hide and whatnot without being ridiculously over sized, which makes infantry A LOT more viable than they were in BF2.

I was never big on the dolphin drivers, but at the same time not having prone is having me die more. When I see a sniper aiming at me or I see a guy coming up, prone would save me. Now all I can do is crouch and it doesn't matter, that sniper will still snipe me ;(

I miss prone, but the game will be better for it.

and for this reason, the gameplay is faster. Less prone means less hiding, means less frustration. Now it's all about objectives, and less about sitting in one spot.

Pre ordered BC2

I own BF 2... never got into it really

2142 isn't for me

I think I will play ever bit of BC2, beta turned me down on it a little and I stopped playing it because of the snow level and I hate snow levels...lol

I am really looking forward to BC2 and ..... MoH :D

i enjoyed the shit out of BF2 and BF2142 and i find BC2 just as fun. i haven't played the beta in a while simply because i'm burnt out on the Port Valdez map, but as soon as the full game is released i'll be back in full swing.

Battlefield 2 was amazing, cant count the hours I spent playing that. BFBC2 will be great to hold me over till Battlefield 3 (hoping for ww2), I just wish my computer was a little better.

I prefer BC2 simply because it uses a new engine that doesn't require you to exhaust yourself jumping over the smallest step.

I personally liked BF: Vietnam. I really like BFBC2 too.

Yes! BFV is often overlooked when it comes to discussions regarding the BF games, but it's one of my personal favorites. That, and BF2. But boy, if you knew how to fly in BFV, you were a GOD.

I've not been a big BF fan myself. But i enjoyed BF 1943 when it came out. :)

Love BF BC2, and can't wait till i can use eyefinity on it (waiting on my graphic card)

Gonna have to say I prefer the game play of BC2 over BF2/2142. Some of the maps in those games were huge just for the sake of being huge. BC2 maps give everyone plenty of room to move around and hide and whatnot without being ridiculously over sized, which makes infantry A LOT more viable than they were in BF2.

One of the BF2 maps seemed like it would take 20 minutes to run across. I can't remember what map it was but there were mountains and I think a shipping port.

all of this bf2 reminiscence ...

for me every bf game was lame in comparison to the greatness that was the desert strike mod

For me, BF2 was cool at first, being a huge fan of the original BF1942. But BF2142 has much more to offer in both character advancement and team play, the Titan mode was amazing and though it had it's cock blocking situations that were frustrating at times.

I only had a chance to play BF:BC2 on the PS3 and though I preordered it for the PC I did not receive a beta code (I preordered in store to help my friend out with her numbers). It was a great on the PS3 and I am sure the PC version will only be better.

I didn't buy into the MW2 situation due to Bobby Kondick's approach to things, but I'm starting to like EA more as a Publisher these days and BC2 is just another good reason to add to that growing list.

they are completely different types of games... you can't compare BC2 with BF2/2142.

I don't know why I still prefer BF2's graphics, BC2 graphics look "Beefy", though it does look pretty.

And BF2 looks more like a simulator.

BC2 with it's scale is not really a BF2/2142 competitor, it's a Call of Duty competitor.

The BFBC2 beta is awesome, I was a big fan of BF2 back in the day and clocked in a good few hundred hours, BFBC2 is a really good step in the right direction, it introduces destruction which is more than just a novelty, it actually matters to gameplay and tactics, I think it's safe to say there isn't any kind of combat like this out there at the moment, it's a unique and for me very fun.

Some people wont like it I'm sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion, just make sure you get their reasons why so you see it with perspective.

I played a lot of BF1942 and my player sheet says I played over 200 hours of BF2. I love BFBC2, i think it's a fully worthy stand in for BF3 on pc. It's a true BF game in the image of the old good ones.

they are completely different types of games... you can't compare BC2 with BF2/2142.

Explanation? I mean, fundamentally, they are the same style of gameplay. Sure, elements have been taken out or added...but really?

Explanation? I mean, fundamentally, they are the same style of gameplay. Sure, elements have been taken out or added...but really?

It more follows COD/MW style of game play more so than a combined arms campaign style of 2/2142.

It is more fast paced, DICE purposely is trying to make the game keep moving forward.

The differences are big and thats why a lot of PC players are complaining up a storm about it (least on the EA forums) because they all expected BC2 to be like BF2/2142 and in fact it isn't and follows BC1 (amazing right?)

PC players seem to have a very hard time letting this idea go. I can't tell you how many threads/replies I see on the ea forum saying they won't touch it because you can't go prone like B2.

It more follows COD/MW style of game play more so than a combined arms campaign style of 2/2142.

It is more fast paced, DICE purposely is trying to make the game keep moving forward.

The differences are big and thats why a lot of PC players are complaining up a storm about it (least on the EA forums) because they all expected BC2 to be like BF2/2142 and in fact it isn't and follows BC1 (amazing right?)

PC players seem to have a very hard time letting this idea go. I can't tell you how many threads/replies I see on the ea forum saying they won't touch it because you can't go prone like B2.

what a bunch of scrubs. at first prone was a an issue for me, then i played it and realized that its not. there is a ton of cover everywhere and prone would be incredibly anoying and unbalance the game.

at least when FF is off your own detpacks hurt you... unlike 2142 which was just a retarded decision.

I don't know why I still prefer BF2's graphics, BC2 graphics look "Beefy", though it does look pretty.

And BF2 looks more like a simulator.

BC2 with it's scale is not really a BF2/2142 competitor, it's a Call of Duty competitor.

They do look a bit beefy, but I think that makes it look good in some ways, it feels like everything is real and solid. The graphics in the beta are also toned down, there's no "high" textures and it's missing DX11 effects.

It's way bigger than CoD that's for sure, each leg is a pretty massive area and there's 4 legs, you just play in smaller sections one at a time, I have a feeling this is more to do with the gametype than any kind of technical restriction.

I can't wait for BC2. BF2 was one of my favorite shooters when it came out. I played it up until MW1 was released. Too bad Barnes and Nobel cancelled my order since they say the game isn't coming out anymore lol. Have to find another copy to get now...

i was just reading about http://www.realitymod.com/ it is a BF2 mod.

main points are ( stolen from Oblio, on another forum )

* No Mini-Map
* No Bunny Hopping
* No Grenade Spamming
* You can actually Build Forward Operating Bases complete with Barricades and Weapons
* Squad/Team Work is a must
* Mumble!!! Mumble is a directional voice chat based on range and in-game position AMAZING!!!!!

I pre-ordered BC 2 from steam and so far I am enjoying the BC 2 beta. I've been playing it for a week now and it has not become stale. Although, I do not believe it will surpass BF 2. After watching the new gameplay video on youtube, I am really looking forward to the single player campaign.

BF2142 beats BF2 for me. The class system was way too overdone in BF2. 2142 fixed that.

BC2 has some interesting tidbits I've noticed:
Vehicular warfare is largely being left out (dislike)
Overall improved realism (damage, bullet physics, destructible environments...)
MW2 style points system (dislike)

I have much higher expectations overall for battlefield 3 but bad company 2 is good enough that I will enjoy it.

Bought 2142 for $25 in late 2006. Played it several times a week until a few months ago. Probably logged 1500+ hours between all my characters.

I really doubt BC2 is going to last as long as 2142 did for me. To feel like I got a good deal, I would have to play BC2 at least as long even after paying more.:p

I largely hated BF1942/BF2/BF2142. Simply because you spawn die all the time. I never cared for this aspect of it. It seems as soon as I spawn theres a plane or a tank waiting to kill me.

Freaking stupid IMO. I much preferred the counterstrike style play.

Is there like tactical nukes in BC2? Like in MW2, because if there's stupid stuff like that I won't be getting it.

BF2142 beats BF2 for me. The class system was way too overdone in BF2. 2142 fixed that.

BC2 has some interesting tidbits I've noticed:
Vehicular warfare is largely being left out (dislike)
Overall improved realism (damage, bullet physics, destructible environments...)
MW2 style points system (dislike)

I have much higher expectations overall for battlefield 3 but bad company 2 is good enough that I will enjoy it.

While the rush mode doesn't have a ton of vehicles on any section of map, to say vehicle warfare is being largely left out is more than a bit disingenuous. Proper use of your teams vehicles is a HUGE part of being successful. Plus theres still old school conquest mode in the full game which should have the big vehicles battles.

Am I the only one thats really liking the scoring system? It's light years ahead of the BF2 system, and actually rewards you properly for doing thing to help your team win, not just rack up kills. Things like getting extra points for helping squad mates, and killing enemies in your base when defending are really good ideas.

Superfly: No, there is nothing like thenuke in this game. Although if you didn't like the dying alot in previous BF games this ones even worse, at least in rush mode for the defenders. But then that felign of all hell breaking loose, and that there cold be someone to kill you around any corner is what a lot of us LIKE about the BF series.

Bear in mind that's not necessarily the case. It'll appear more fast-paced because only the Rush gametype's been previewd in the Beta, which forces you to spawn on the currently contested point and won't let you go beyond that area.

1900+ hours on Bf2 and counting, BC2 beta, feels not right.
no precison, movement feels restricted, still gonna get the full game and play to note if I stick with it or not.

Bf3 is the game I wait for tho.

Back