Battlefield 5 Developers Wish They'd Included Women in Battlefield 1, Too

That's what they said for BF5 and it seems people are.

I think EA has handled this bad. I also don't think the game looked good and will not be buying it. The only reason I have BF1 is because a friend bought bf1 and then bought a new xbox that came with it and he gave me the extra code. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Honestly it about time also. Every battlefield or call of duty release seems to just be people bitching about where the series is going. Yet like fucking sheep they run out and buy the game because after all you can't not buy the latest game. What about when your friends jump over, what will you do then?

if people stop buying these games that they sit around and bitch about change will happen. When you bitch but still buy the double platinum special edition for $300 you aren't sending a message besides i will still fill your pockets with money but i won't be pleased with it for the first 5 minutes.

You know, I wish they would have put women in Battlefield 1 as well. Assuming it was some sort of alternate history WWI. And that it had a nice story behind it with some info about how that history was different. It could have even had different weapons, some weapons more advanced than the real timeline and some just flat out off the wall if they want. With this alternate timeline they could have thrown in as many women as they wanted simply because they wouldn't have had to make any allusions at all to real history.

We could have gotten a whole new "universe" to explore in a manner of speaking. No one would have to get bent out of shape over the inclusion or exclusion of women. A whole new series of games could have been started with fresh ideas and removal of many of the restraints you see on games based on history, even if they only pay lip service to the actual history.

EA completely fucked up what could have been a wonderful new game series.

is this the same guy that said his 12 year old Fortnite playing pre-teen daughter helped him make the decisions about who to include in BF V?

The only thing as pathetic as left wing SJW's are the right wing SJW's who get angry about women in games.

I hope these people don’t actually exist. I will say I had it pounded into my head to never hurt a woman as a kid. It’s sort of weird but I wish I could turn just the enemy into men.

World of Warships has some skins for ships that ruin immersion (anime). You can turn all that garbage off in the settings to keep it authentic to WWII. I am ok with women and such but I wish they would add a switch to turn off the katanas and robot arms.

I didn’t think about it until now but I have mixed feelings about my son hurting women, even if it’s just a game.

Nope, just requoting what he said. I am just loving that everyone is so upset about something so small. Honestly, though. Adding women makes sense. People generally like to play games as their gender if they have the choice, and the male market is almost completely saturated, so of course they are going to try to appeal the other 50% of the population, but everyone keeps treating it as though they are being attacked.

No, they are treating it like it is, revisionist history. Things like this are important to some people. If you are attempting to represent a video game as historically accurate in your press releases, then you better expect backlash when it is a fantasy conconcted by a politically correct marketing team.

No, they are treating it like it is, revisionist history. Things like this are important to some people. If you are attempting to represent a video game as historically accurate in your press releases, then you better expect backlash when it is a fantasy conconcted by a politically correct marketing team.

So in BF1, their focus was on fighting the battles of WWI, the grim slaughter, the endless sludge. I think they ran into a problem where on one hand they want, they need people to turn their soldier, into a player avatar, a extension of their identity vs this BF1 focus on reality of war, on the mindless slaughter, the nameless soldier. So we have a historical environment that DICE and EA want to make money off of based on cosmetics, but with a series that just had a emphasis on historical accuracy.

Their solution was to sort of say it's historical-based, with an emphasis on fun and cool. Again, the main issue is the lack of generating hype with their marketing. If they had generated hype, these issues would not be so important, but the underlying negativity just allows everyone to think the worse.

At this point I feel confident in thinking that EA and DICE aren't done developing the game, and their own marketing is indicating a lack of anything concrete to show us. If anything, this women nonsense is concealing the notable lack of info on the game and its content at release.

I'm not surprised. He is Swedish and in Sweden, all teens receive a book "Why it's good to be a feminist."

The cover of the game where you have a woman with a trench coat and cybernetic arm doesn't even look like a WW2 game. They should have just made some kind of alternate universe.

The issue really seems to be one of branding. They could've simply said the game is stylistically in the purview of WW2, ie in terms of guns, locales etc, but doesn't follow any historical relevancy in terms of political ideologies and more specific historical moments. It's understandably more complex than that, but I do think you could do something like this a la something like steampunk.

Day one may represent a WWII shooter, what I paid for. One year later it will be a clusterfuck of clowns, Santa hats, aliens, zombies, people running around in red white & blue underwear and whatnot
You're obviously exaggerating, but would you be open to EA eventually offering some tastefully done WWII dance emotes? And limited only to Battle Royale mode so Conquest players are safe from them. To me this seems way better than another $60 for premium DLC maps and a fragmented playerbase.

CarefreeNewGrison-size_restricted.gif

Attachments

• CarefreeNewGrison-size_restricted.gif
    CarefreeNewGrison-size_restricted.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
im certainl
That's what they said for BF5 and it seems people are.

I think EA has handled this bad. I also don't think the game looked good and will not be buying it. The only reason I have BF1 is because a friend bought bf1 and then bought a new xbox that came with it and he gave me the extra code. I'm glad I didn't buy it.
im voting for sure....and once upon a time i purchased every battlefield game and expansion. To me right now my favorite franchise is DEAD

im certainl

im voting for sure....and once upon a time i purchased every battlefield game and expansion. To me right now my favorite franchise is DEAD

Yep, I half-enjoyed 4, didn't buy BF1, and don't see getting 5. The days of enormous maps and fantastic gameplay from that series seems to be over. I will miss it, but at least I got to enjoy it in its prime.

Yep, I half-enjoyed 4, didn't buy BF1, and don't see getting 5. The days of enormous maps and fantastic gameplay from that series seems to be over. I will miss it, but at least I got to enjoy it in its prime.
I regretted purchasing bf1 and battlefront....i wont make the same mistake with bf5 especially the way these idiots are acting

I regretted purchasing bf1 and battlefront....i wont make the same mistake with bf5 especially the way these idiots are acting

I've still come close to getting BF1 with some of the deals that had the game and DLC bundled for cheap, but I just can't be hurt again.

I was never going to buy the game anyway (strictly single-player) but the SJW stuff won't improve any game.

That said, I almost always prefer as a man to play female characters, since the days of Asheron's Call/WOW/Fallout, etc....
If I'm going to be looking at an ass running on a screen for hundreds of gaming hours, it might as well be a female butt!
/especially with semi-realistic body physics models
//MCP... old school ;)

Your game isn't being received well because you are treating your customers like a commodity rather than as the primary component that actually gives your company and its products value. Then you double down on it. Selling us something we didn't know we needed takes talent, tact and timing.

Regarding timing, there is World War 2 FPS fatigue (CODWW2), and a crowded release schedule (Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, and CODBO4).

As for player avatars in a First Person shooter - I appreciate a bit of customization but it shouldn't detract from the atmosphere the game is trying to generate. Is BF5 trying to be a WW2 FPS or "Cyberpunk 1943, Michael Bay Edition?" The emphasis given in the reveal suggests the latter. Your customers were confused (not expecting what was shown). A confused buyer needs convincing, not scolding.

I would love a big budget WW2 game focused on the Russian front or a single-player mode where you're fighting in the French resistance. Those would both make for some excellent settings and campaigns. Yet they're all obsessed with showing D-day for the 50 billionth time.
A more unique viewpoint like this would be 1000% more interesting to me. Even if it's relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things, it'd be more suspenseful as you are less likely to know exactly how things end up (which is why I don't like historic/war games, you know which side wins)

Reactions: Advil
like this
If the game were being marketed as a historically accurate WWII shooter, then I could sort of understand all the hoopla, but it isn't. There is a middle ground between 'historically accurate' and 'alternative history' where a game may be set during a specific period in history, but with some minor liberties taken here and there in an effort to keep the game fun, make it more accessible, etc. The vast majority of games require some suspension of disbelief and the 'issue' of having women or prosthetics (or whatever it is now) in the game does not even come remotely close to reaching the threshold required to make me care one little bit. I would bet that this is true for most other gamers as well and I would also argue that most people (not all, but probably most) complaining about these 'issues' in Battlefield 5 are being completely disingenuous and are simply pissed off about their weird perception that EA is doing this to cater to SJWs, feminists, Antifa, and liberal communist intellectuals.

Thanks, TheBigVlad bluesnews forums. Paraphrased and edited, but mostly plagarized.

It is a good thing there are no female characters in any other fps games or they would never sell. Can you imagine what would have happen if they had put any females into something like Overwatch. That game would have never sold then. Glad they decided to keep all the characters male in that game.

If the game were being marketed as a historically accurate WWII shooter, then I could sort of understand all the hoopla, but it isn't. There is a middle ground between 'historically accurate' and 'alternative history' where a game may be set during a specific period in history, but with some minor liberties taken here and there in an effort to keep the game fun, make it more accessible, etc. The vast majority of games require some suspension of disbelief and the 'issue' of having women or prosthetics (or whatever it is now) in the game does not even come remotely close to reaching the threshold required to make me care one little bit. I would bet that this is true for most other gamers as well and I would also argue that most people (not all, but probably most) complaining about these 'issues' in Battlefield 5 are being completely disingenuous and are simply pissed off about their weird perception that EA is doing this to cater to SJWs, feminists, Antifa, and liberal communist intellectuals.

Thanks, TheBigVlad bluesnews forums. Paraphrased and edited, but mostly plagarized.

On one hand, I agree with you on this. Their decision to attack the game is based on EA "virtue signaling" to audiences they don't like. On the other hand, I see from their viewpoint, a EA that chose to insult and devalue their opinion and prior support instead of addressing the issue better. (Seriously, like I stated before, if EA had simply opted for stating they want more freedom for players to chose, instead of more broad, vague, women didn't fight crap, this wouldn't have happened.) To be fair, trying to argue vs a mob or being a mob trying to deal with essentially a faceless corporate structure does not lend itself to moderate discussion. So to see EA get so defensive is galling, but watching this hardcore fanbase get essentially told to fuck off is equally galling.

By that logic, we shouldn't make stories about any minority cause statistically they amounted to trivial amounts. Under that logic, we should have 1/4 of the single-player be of supply lines and driving trucks and shit. Thats a silly reason to exclude making a story mission.

edit: stupid to silly

Only problem I have with what DICE and its defenders is that they are trying to overblow the role women played in these wars. As for BF its a game, I honestly don't care about the avatar, just stop playing to the SJW crowd.

I would also argue that most people (not all, but probably most) complaining about these 'issues' in Battlefield 5 are being completely disingenuous and are simply pissed off about their weird perception that EA is doing this to cater to SJWs, feminists, Antifa, and liberal communist intellectuals.

It's not a weird perception, otherwise EA/DICE would not be making utterly retarded comments that makes it quite plain that they are politicizing the issue and their game. They haven't just responded by saying we want to give our customers more options, end of story, rather they have resorted to incendiary and confrontational statements like:

"We felt like in today's world—I have a 13-year-old daughter that when the trailer came out and she saw all the flak, she asked me, 'Dad, why's this happening?'" Soderlund said.

"She plays Fortnite, and says, 'I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?' She looked at me and she couldn't understand it. And I'm like, ok, as a parent, how the hell am I gonna respond to this, and I just said, 'You know what? You're right. This is not okay.'"

"These are people who are uneducated—they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game," he added. "And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn't been before."

"And we don't take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game. I'm fine with either or. It's just not ok."

And then you have that arsehole Alan Kurtz, who by the way has been fucking up BF since Bad Company, making asinine statements like this:

I knew this was going to be a fight when i pushed for female soldiers in Battlefield. I have a daughter, and I don’t want to ever have to answer her question of “why can’t I make a character that looks like me” with “because you’re a girl.”

I fundamentally feel to my core this is the right way and I will find myself on the right side of history.

I can’t speak for that timing, I know personally that I wasn’t in a position of enough influence to make it happen. I also know a lot in society has changed and for me personally I grew up a bit and looked at the world with new eyes. From within the industry we’ve seen so much male domination, for whatever reasons, and I work for a studio and a company that recognizes the value of diversity in what we do as game makers. That’s been a big deal for me also.

Sometimes just enough things come together to make it happen. It felt like an inevitability. The excuses were running out and the support was there… so it happens now.

Oh won't someone think of the developers' children?! These people are imbeciles.

So in BF1, their focus was on fighting the battles of WWI, the grim slaughter, the endless sludge. I think they ran into a problem where on one hand they want, they need people to turn their soldier, into a player avatar, a extension of their identity vs this BF1 focus on reality of war, on the mindless slaughter, the nameless soldier. So we have a historical environment that DICE and EA want to make money off of based on cosmetics, but with a series that just had a emphasis on historical accuracy.

Their solution was to sort of say it's historical-based, with an emphasis on fun and cool. Again, the main issue is the lack of generating hype with their marketing. If they had generated hype, these issues would not be so important, but the underlying negativity just allows everyone to think the worse.

At this point I feel confident in thinking that EA and DICE aren't done developing the game, and their own marketing is indicating a lack of anything concrete to show us. If anything, this women nonsense is concealing the notable lack of info on the game and its content at release.
BF3's marketing was on a whole different level than the marketing fail of BF5. BF3's many teasers/trailers and different clues through out the internet was genius. I don't know what happened with the marketing of BF5, but that first trailer was a HUGE mistake by Dice and I think that cost them a lot of money.

The game is really not ready for release and a lot of features won't be there on day one.. That said I had more fun playing the BF5 alpha than I've ever had playing BF1. I honestly think BF5 could end up being their best game to date (except 1942 of course) it actually feels like a totally different game compared to the other recent BF games.

I find this whole rant and rave completely moronic. Women this, women that. Really? Sexism isn't the core reason for all that hate built up towards this video game? Pleaseeee..

Think about it for a second here. We're playing video games, a piece of art told by an artist of their own depiction. In no way shape or form should video games of this nature EVER be considered a viable tool for learning history.
I am willing to bet that all of those who died in WW2 would be ashamed of us mimicking their lifestyles, and the horrors they went through, just for entertainment purposes. But let's not consider that first!
World War 2 was NOT fun, regardless of what gender was on the front lines. Everyone suffered.

With this being said, we need to implement women more in the gaming industry, the first person shooter industry more so. This is my opinion of course. I don't like playing as a female, and some of you don't either. This should be the same outcome for some(not all) women too. In which they don't want to play as men. Options are the best way to make this happen. Open up the game to fit everyone's needs and not just a select group.

Pretty dissapointing to see the internet lash out at EA for something really fucking petty.

Is the game fun? Yes or no? If it is, regardless of the context, then who gives a shit?

Last edited:
I find this whole rant and rave completely moronic. Women this, women that. Really? Sexism isn't the core reason for all that hate built up towards this video game? Pleaseeee..

Think about it for a second here. We're playing video games, a piece of art told by an artist of their own depiction. In no way shape or form should video games of this nature EVER be considered a viable tool for learning history.
I am willing to bet that all of those who died in WW2 would be ashamed of us mimicking their lifestyles, and the horrors they went through, just for entertainment purposes. But let's not consider that first!
World War 2 was NOT fun, regardless of what gender was on the front lines. Everyone suffered.

With this being said, we need to implement women more in the gaming industry, the first person shooter industry more so. This is my opinion of course. I don't like playing as a female, and some of you don't either. This should be the same outcome for some(not all) women too. In which they don't want to play as men. Options are the best way to make this happen. Open up the game to fit everyone's needs and not just a select group.

Pretty dissapointing to see the internet lash out at EA for something really fucking petty.

Is the game fun? Yes or no? If it is, regardless of the context, then who gives a shit?

Although some people hide their insecurities by blaming the accuracy of the women portrayed in BF5, I think most, like myself, are just tired of them using games as a political tool. Look what happened at ESPN and how they are trying to right the ship now. Their checkbook took a beating so now they are taking the necessary steps. Seems like EA is about to learn the same lesson, at least I hope it does.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...portedly-leaving-espn/?utm_term=.494de19ba112

Sports and games have always brought people together. Regardless of their political views they cheered for the same team or worked towards the same common goal. This is whats wrong with the society today, everyone thinks their shit is more important than the masses.

same, luckily i only paid 30 for BF + premium pack shit.. but i regret it. have absolutely no plans on buying BF5.

Back