Battlefield 4 Windows 7 vs. 8.1 Performance Review @ [H]

lol 6% advantage with a GTX 780. I am going to keep my Windows 7 thank you very much.
Great article!

Yet a lot of folks here will happily spend a week testing and tweaking their ram timings down to get a 0.5% improvement and think nothing of it. Job well done.

Yeah, I mean, because there's no way around having to using Metro... :rolleyes:

There's various free (ClassicShell) and paid (Start8) options to avoid using Metro at all. Sure, it sucks you can't just automatically turn it off or remove it completely via install options. But, the options are there so this argument is null.

I use Start8 and I haven't looked back to Windows 7.

It would take a lot more than removing Metro start screen to fix the complete ugliness of Win8. IMO, of course.

LOL...you don't have to move to Windows 8 to get rid of the choppiness. I'm even more impressed you could tell it dropped a frame. :p

i realized the choppiness because after several installations of drivers and windows 7 my gpu was around 40-60% usage in bf4 resulting in the choppiness. For some reason, i am consistently at 85-100% usage in windows 8.

i realized the choppiness because after several installations of drivers and windows 7 my gpu was around 40-60% usage in bf4 resulting in the choppiness. For some reason, i am consistently at 85-100% usage in windows 8.

Same situation for me, 50-75% GPU usage in win7, stutter and FPS drops. Win 8 smooth as silk. Now if only I can get AC4 to run like it isn't a shitty port that would be great.

Supposedly, disabling core parking in Win7 noticeably improves performance in BF4 and removes the stutter. Was anyone able to verify that?

Examples:
http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1puiok/getting_cpu_lag_in_battlefield_4_i_found_a_fix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulm-PeZxi0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ecASNEcUP8

CPUs with HT that are most affected by this, and this comparison was done on i7.
I wonder if there would be any performance/smoothness difference whatsoever between Win7 and Win8 if core parking was disabled on Win7.

Last edited:
Supposedly, disabling core parking in Win7 noticeably improves performance in BF4 and removes the stutter. Was anyone able to verify that?

Examples:
http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1puiok/getting_cpu_lag_in_battlefield_4_i_found_a_fix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulm-PeZxi0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ecASNEcUP8

CPUs with HT that are most affected by this, and this comparison was done on i7.
I wonder if there would be any performance/smoothness difference whatsoever between Win7 and Win8 if core parking was disabled on Win7.

O yea it was verified by numerous people including myself. Posted back on page 1-2 of these thread.

Agreed. W8 is a great OS, better in every way than W7.

If you don't like metro then set your OS to boot to desktop and be done with it.

I feel like a lot of the people who hate W8 have difficulty learning new things in general.

This....having used every single Windows operating system to date, I prefer the fluidity of Windows 8.1 by far. You don't have to use a touchscreen to enjoy it either.

O yea it was verified by numerous people including myself. Posted back on page 1-2 of these thread.

So how reliable is this comparison article, if core parking issue was overlooked? I think this may radically change the results of this test.

So how reliable is this comparison article, if core parking issue was overlooked? I think this may radically change the results of this test.

Shrug. I just mentioned how it fixed the choppy/stuttering in Win7 they could of been experiencing. Other then that you will have to take it up with the Big Boss's who run da website.

I mean how could we possibly ask more of Brent, that poor guy has been reviewing nothing but video cards for the like what 3-4 weeks now?

I have zero interested in Windows 8.

Please tell me Mantle will be on Windows 7 as well.

If not, no biggie, I already get blazing speeds on my 2 x R9 290x's with BF4.

I can wait out Mantle until it's on a dozen or so games well into future, i.e, I don't have deal with Windows 8 until much later on

Yes Mantle will work with Windows 7 . Mantle does not need a driver either :)

On the fence in regards to BF4 specifically, of which is what the article is about. Then I describe that fence depends on what type of a BF4 player you are, hardcore, or casual. Then I describe my opinions on my thoughts about upgrading on those two topics in regards to BF4. The fence comment is entirely about BF4 specifically.

You mentioned pausing and skipping, something I experienced on Windows 7 as well... it doesn't matter if your a "hardcore" vs casual gamer, it's annoying and the upgrade removes this issue.

You mentioned pausing and skipping, something I experienced on Windows 7 as well... it doesn't matter if your a "hardcore" vs casual gamer, it's annoying and the upgrade removes this issue.

So does unparking the cores, and it saves you $100 as well from upgrading (and no im not saying windows 8 is bad!)

I just went from playing BF4 on 8.1 to Win 7 and there is a big difference during gameplay.

BF4 under win7 runs like you are under water even though the fps is similar, so you can forget about benchmarks.

I will be going back to 8.1 this weekend again.

can you name them? I need a reason to switch from 7 to 8

I'd have to agree. The miniscule performance increase you get in B4 on the W8.1 platform is hardly justification for changing operating systems. It's only one game (that I personally have no interest in). Currently, W7 is the finest operating system I've ever experienced on my desktop computer. Little bit disappointed with [H] changing over to 8.1 but idunno...I'm gonna load up some Quake 1 for the hell of it...

I'd have to agree. The miniscule performance increase you get in B4 on the W8.1 platform is hardly justification for changing operating systems. It's only one game (that I personally have no interest in). Currently, W7 is the finest operating system I've ever experienced on my desktop computer. Little bit disappointed with [H] changing over to 8.1 but idunno...I'm gonna load up some Quake 1 for the hell of it...

Win8.1 makes Win7 look like a turd IMO.

It is a far better OS in terms of speed, response, looks, feel, and interaction with your hardware.

lol its a pain in the ass just to do simple things with 8.1.

I've been using it for quite some time and it's almost exactly the same as Windows 7 in terms of functionality. I'm also using Start8 and I've never seen the metro screen since installing...

I've been using it for quite some time and it's almost exactly the same as Windows 7 in terms of functionality. I'm also using Start8 and I've never seen the metro screen since installing...
lol um you are using Start8 so of course it has the feel of 7. out of the box its aggravating crap and its stupid that we should have to pay anything and install 3rd party program. anyway if Start8 takes care of the issues then its worth it so I may try it.

lol um you are using Start8 so of course it has the feel of 7. out of the box its aggravating crap and its stupid that we should have to pay anything and install 3rd party program. anyway if Start8 takes care of the issues then its worth it so I may try it.
Start8 isn't the only option available. You also get 30 days to try it out for free. ClassicShell is a free alternative and there are definitely others out there as well.

Overall, anything you can do in Win7, you can do in Win8. It looks different, sure, but the functionality is still there. If it wasn't for my dual screen issues (games always losing focus due to the Charms no matter what I tried), I'd probably have not even bothered with a Start Menu replacement.

I just dont want to install a bunch of stuff. the main issue I have is the start menu so if start8 fixes that then I would be ok.

Win8.1 makes Win7 look like a turd IMO.

It is a far better OS in terms of speed, response, looks, feel, and interaction with your hardware.

Thank you for the laugh, cheered me up.

Nice test but it would be also interesting how those GPUs behaved on AMD FX platform.

I just dont want to install a bunch of stuff. the main issue I have is the start menu so if start8 fixes that then I would be ok.

if you put your mouse in the bottom left corner on windows 8, you get a menu that is full of stuff, very similar to the start menu. It's just hidden, so it doesn't take up your screen all the time.

if you put your mouse in the bottom left corner on windows 8, you get a menu that is full of stuff, very similar to the start menu. It's just hidden, so it doesn't take up your screen all the time.
yes I know but its not nearly the same as using the start menu. I have startisback so I am good now.

Thanks god for win 8.1 just updated today because win 7 64 was stuttering and dropping frames like crazy in bf4 now its butter smooth on high settings with maxfps at 70 :)

Every single Microsoft OS has run great for me....and Windows 8 was no exception...right up to the point I tried upgrading to 8.1....then it turned into a freakin' "nightmare" with me in the dreaded repair loop.
After five days and two unsuccessful Microsoft remote assistance attempts...that hard drive in now empty.

Every single Microsoft OS has run great for me....and Windows 8 was no exception...right up to the point I tried upgrading to 8.1....then it turned into a freakin' "nightmare" with me in the dreaded repair loop.
After five days and two unsuccessful Microsoft remote assistance attempts...that hard drive in now empty.

My upgrade was smooth, no complaints here...

Was loving windows 8 until I upgraded all my computers to Windows 8.1. Now none of my computers sleep on their own and I have several hundred hours into figuring out why. I've tried everything on forums, etc. Also one of my computers the USB devices keep dropping now and have to reboot just to use my keyboard and mouse. Also programs like Soundforge that I paid a lot of money for aren't registering and won't work. 8.1 is a total nightmare full of bugs. Going back to windows 8 where I had more stability.

I upgraded to 8.1 on my main pc and I'm an super happy with it. I got about an extra 7 fps and no more crashing. Overall I like the look and feel of it as well.

Back