Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

I've just pretty much given up on longer range engagements unless I'm using an LMG. Still feels like the game is awkward in movement/gun handling at times though.

The SG-553 used to be good at range. I used to slow fire and kill snipers at a range. But now it got "balanced" to the point of being unusable.

Still can't get used to tracer-fest. I feel like I'm in Star Wars.

It does have a very different feel to it. The game in some ways is rather fresh to play with a change in tactics to balance the weapon nref. Glad to see gun master, although I would like to see it on different maps, but hey that is what mod servers are for....oh wait.

As a snide comment , I almost have to wonder if EA is trolling the BF4 community. I presume that they are testing out stuff for battlefront, but the whole community? Really? I have been having more issues since patch than before as well. Lots of death behind cover is back in a major way for me as well as a substantial increase in simulkills. Not sure why it would get worse after they did a commendable job of making it playable. Pew Pew Pew must take priority.

Knifing is still baffling as well. Getting knifed from the front 10' out, no counter option and they seemingly take no damage as they close the distance. Not sure how to accomplish this from my end. I have been countered while knifing from the back, so clearly I am missing something.

Ping for me is typically 30-60, although I am seriously trying to figure out how to get my ping to sit at about 150 without having to simultaneously stream netflix. The benefits of such a craptastic ping are just astounding.

Negative comments aside, It still provides for some good moments between the BS and I have gotten my moneys worth.

So what do you guys recommend for assault rifles? I just can't seem to find one I really like. ACE23 feels like it takes way too long to kill, AN-94 is OK but absolute trash in close-mid range. (long range isn't even relevant to be honest since you'll get rekt by an LMG or DMR/Sniper most of the time and the damage isn't there). What really bothers me is the idiotic way to unlock stuff in this game through the battlepacks, it's just stupid that I have to play the lottery if I want to get a scope on certain guns.

M416, Scar-H are good all rounders. AN-94 is only good if you can master the burst fire. If you can master its burst fire and tap tap tap it is GODLY. I am used to that burst fire from using it in bad company 2 and mastering the DMR's in this game. It is pin point precision with a muzzle brake and either stubby or angled grip. Do not put a compensator on it.

All 3 of those are good good up close through mid to long range. AN-94 seems to have really good long range accuracy but damage dropoff sucks. Scar-H hits hard at all ranges, but small mag limits it. M416 is really good for most situations. The Ace23 is still decent and slightly more accurate than the M416, but slightly slower firing rate and slower reload (I need to check symthic again, not sure).

As far as the unlocks are concerned, the only thing idiotic about it is the battlepacks themselves making it seem like a lottery. If you play with that weapon, you will unlock everything for it within 400 some kills. Those standard battlepacks from playing with the weapon still come in a set specific order with the unlocks in an order and the last few battlepacks for the weapon are still mostly xp boosters. From everything I've seen on the net, that is how it works. If it doesn't work that way, then there seems to be a large amount of occurence of people unlocking X gun sight on Y battlepack for many weapons.

The only time I know for sure its a lottery is when you get battlepacks for other things such as gold packs from unrelated service stars or if you pay for them with cash like a dumbass. Those are a lottery and may include unlocks for different weapons.

So yesterday there was a discussion going on in a server about how grips are bugged and increase the spread of the bullets, taking way longer than normal to get back to a normal spread. These were top players in the world (K/D 3.00+ and quite high SPM). Seems it's best to just skip grips too.

So yesterday there was a discussion going on in a server about how grips are bugged and increase the spread of the bullets, taking way longer than normal to get back to a normal spread. These were top players in the world (K/D 3.00+ and quite high SPM). Seems it's best to just skip grips too.

Interesting. I haven't noticed it, but it wouldn't surprise me either. The spring patch and symthic stats pulled straight from the patch indicate the grips are not as effective, but not necessarily worse than not using a grip at all. From what I know, the angled grip has a slight nerf to it. I still have barely noticed the difference. In fact, I found the AN-94 to be quite erratic when bare and doing burst fire mode but the full auto was laser precision. When putting on either the angled grip or stubby grip (depending on situation), the reverse suddenly became true.

All that being said, these are the "top players" as you mentioned. Highly skilled players have always been decent at controlling the weapons recoil and know how much to compensate. I expect them to do amazingly well regardless of what attachments they use.

Did they mention which grips and which weapons? I heard some people in my Clan complaining about the Scar-H for some reason and that the AEK has fallen almost completely out of favor except for CQB where shotguns are just as effective.

Last edited:
Well when I left someone mentioned something about the angled grip, so not sure about that one. The non-ergo grips are affected though.

The grip nerf is real; what they have done is increase the spread reset time between bursts. The change primarily effects high ROF weapons and the LMGs where tap tap tapping was an effective way to counter high levels of recoil.

The grip nerf is real; what they have done is increase the spread reset time between bursts. The change primarily effects high ROF weapons and the LMGs where tap tap tapping was an effective way to counter high levels of recoil.

I have never seen a use for an angled grip on any LMG since the first shot recoil on them was so low. Subsequent recoil from automatic fire and side to side was always the problem with LMG's. Stubby/Potato with burst firing was always the way to go on them. Assault rifles and some carbines always had much higher first shot recoil which is where I saw the need for the angled grip.

Now that you explained this issue with the angled grip, I'm wondering how the ACW-R and AEK will fare. Those have massive first shot recoil and high rates of fire.

Quick answer is they're now complete shit beyond mid-range. Pre-shit/spring-patch a skilled user could counter the recoil and make them work at somewhat longer ranges.

That is over.

http://mp1st.com/2015/06/22/battlef...ield-4-ctes-classic-map-project/#.VYmDA4ZHbCQ

Dragon Valley is coming to BF4! while it was never one of my favorite BF2 maps i still have some fun with it. I was hoping for Cerbere Landing from 2142 but that was a long shot. i'm certainly not going to complain about free content. I'm glad they went further back in their catalog and didn't just use a BF3 map. also the updated Dragon Valley looks gorgeous, graphically. i'm excited to try it out.

Joy, a modern take on a notorious Heli Rape map........not. That map sucked balls then and will suck balls now. WTF DICE - fuck you guys.

Joy, a modern take on a notorious Heli Rape map........not. That map sucked balls then and will suck balls now. WTF DICE - fuck you guys.

fee map you don't have to play. you've had a bit of an over-reaction to this.

Unfortunately Brules is right. It was a horrible map; too big and the only important point was the airfield....for more Heli Rape.

Exactly ^^^^^.

As it is now, Heli Rape is about impossible to counter - especially on a lrge maps with lots of valleys for them to break lock on. If this was vehicles only - it would be fun. With Heli Rape - 100% suck.

Seriously - of the BF2 maps this is the one to redo?

dragon valley? wtf? damn. well, I pretty much stopped playing anyway so go for it dice. Nobody voted for that map given a choice.

Unfortunately Brules is right. It was a horrible map; too big and the only important point was the airfield....for more Heli Rape.

Dragon Valley wasn't my first choice either, but that doesn't have me saying "fuck you Dice for this free content." talk about being entitled.

http://mp1st.com/2015/06/22/battlef...ield-4-ctes-classic-map-project/#.VYmDA4ZHbCQ

Dragon Valley is coming to BF4! while it was never one of my favorite BF2 maps i still have some fun with it. I was hoping for Cerbere Landing from 2142 but that was a long shot. i'm certainly not going to complain about free content. I'm glad they went further back in their catalog and didn't just use a BF3 map. also the updated Dragon Valley looks gorgeous, graphically. i'm excited to try it out.

This a miracle. Been hoping to see Dragon Valley remade since forever.

I don't know who these plebs are in this thread whining about Dragon mother effing Valley, but they sure as hell aren't BF2 vets. Its such a classic.

Content appreciated, but in my head In my head I was thinking Fushe Pass and was all, 'Sweet!'. Then the comments above and realizing my mistake. It will be interesting to see if it is at all balanced or with the recent helo buffs make it like the BFV days and the spiraling tornado of death.

Still as others have echoed, content still appreciated although the sheer number of maps and modes at this stage make for slim pickings on some game types.I actually enjoy capture the flag, but have hard time finding a server to play in.

Gunmaster has been fun again, although the state of knifing in the game can make it frustrating. In a HC server 3 of us were shooting at a guy that managed to cover 25 feet, grab and stab to win the round, and that was just one instance on one server. It seems like you get a 50/50 change of going invincible if you are in the process of knifing for the final kill. Crazy. Other than that though, troll Gunmaster is brutal... and hilarious.

Not gonna lie though, BF3 gunmster seems just a bit better implemented in my mind. Custom weapons ladders and the maps made that one I think.

"Fuck you, Porter" for putting words in my mouth.

:D ha no words are being put in your mouth. i was addressing Brules' comments and only your "Unfortunately Brules is right." anyway this is all just petty yammering that falls into the minutia of the thread.
maybe we can meet for a beer at that airfield when Dragon Valley is released? :p

naw man, all good. Surprised by that.

So was I! I enjoyed the map, but I recall there being more BF2 servers running Sharqi, Mashtuur or Ghost Town maps. I would have thought Mashtuur would have been remade next but hey... the masses have spoken.

Road to jalalalallalalalalallalalalbad was the best.

Lots of good times there! I use to love sneaking around the back and wedging a C4 buggy between two tanks that were blocking the road adn BOOM. Double satisfaction. Infantry only mode, not so much.

Mashtrur City was hawt. Kind of forgot about that one. My BF2 memories are so blurred with PoE and Project Reality I cant keep track anymore.

Karkand vBF2 was great as well. The BF3 interpretation was good as well, but not as classic as BF2.

Anyone here miss Scavenger? I actually quite liked that mode. The whole Aftermath thing was a nice change of pace.

I always played infantry only mode on BF2, never really liked the vehicles in that. It was generally a huge fight just on the hill towards the US spawn, every now and then a couple of squads would go across the river a bit further over and manage to capture something in the city. Good times.

actually. Now that I think about it. Dragon in full size would be good. I just hated the comp map size. Never had a good fight win or lose.

Been playing it for a couple hours. Hands down the best BF4 map now. It has everything.

Infantry-only players will likely complain that it's not all about them, but it's about time we got a classic BF map with vehicles and everything, especially when factoring they really bent over backwards to focus BF4 in general on infantry.

Last edited:
Been playing it for a couple hours. Hands down the best BF4 map now. It has everything.

Infantry-only players will likely complain that it's not all about them, but it's about time we got a classic BF map with vehicles and everything, especially when factoring really bent over backwards to focus on infantry on most of the maps.

Is it out on CTE now? Have to re DL CTE if so.

Thought this game was dead as a dodo (at least on our side of the world it is), surprised there is still some online activity since most migrated over to CS GO or Hardline for MP carnage.

Thought this game was dead as a dodo (at least on our side of the world it is), surprised there is still some online activity since most migrated over to CS GO or Hardline for MP carnage.

Hardline is dead, there were maybe 5 servers last I checked. BF4 has more, BF3 as well.

Is it worth buying premium @ $20.00? I don't think Hardline is for me, and I may cancel my Starwars preorder. I have been playing the base game here and there and servers are becoming limited.

Yep. Premium is worth it for the servers you are able to play. If you are East Coast try Section 8. Good server. The night map coming out should be cool too.

Back