Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

I bought it and played for about an hour...then I got my refund. It took me 20 minutes to load into a map for some reason. Looked it up online and looks like alot of people have the problem... :( was feeling the itch for some good ole BF too...

Yeah I was getting huge frame drops with mantle. Going from 140 fps to 10 kind of hurts. Still manage to lead the server but it should not be so much work to do so. I literally have to anticipate the situations where I will drop frames and position myself accordingly. Need to switch back to dx11.

Yeah I was getting huge frame drops with mantle. Going from 140 fps to 10 kind of hurts. Still manage to lead the server but it should not be so much work to do so. I literally have to anticipate the situations where I will drop frames and position myself accordingly. Need to switch back to dx11.

i only get the performance drops with crossfire not single gpu.

FPS Level Design - LevelCap Bashes BF4 Map Design

I find all his points very valid. Wish devs would learn....

I agree 100%...

I had not done much FPS playing at all before Battlefield but I did play a lot of CS and I LOVED playing CS with friends. We played very strategically and I was pretty decent at CS.

When I stepped into Battlefield I got CREAMED, just absolutely destroyed. The main reason why...well I sucked at first but the other primary reason was...I felt like you were always so vulnerable as a player. I never could get a good grasp of map layouts and how to approach them without getting shot by someone who's in some random unexpected spot.

In CS, I felt like you could learn the maps quickly and as level cap said "control your engagements". In Battlefield, I always felt like it was very very challenging to control your engagements.

I still am not great at BF4 but I'm not terrible now but I think if players like myself had better level design it might foster some more strategic gameplay.

Yep, netcode still sucks. Better, but still shitty. There is just something inherently wrong with it; and they are still working on it........

I agree 100%. I think the maps designs are very shitty, and I never bitch about maps until BF4. Silk Road anyone (any mode)? They are so shitty that they need to "address" the issues with updates to the rush maps. All the maps

I uninstalled BF4 a couple of weeks ago. I think this is the worst game I have played in my gaming history for many-many-many reasons. With BF3 being, after suppression patch, a close second.

I disagree. His basic message is, more or less, "Make the map as simple as possible so that I can blast through a corridor of scrubs as quickly as possible." I started chuckling when he bashed vertical gameplay while explaining the Grand Bazaar layout. Of course he wouldn't want to have to look up; it distracts from his desire to go forward through the corridor and destroy scrubs. When he talks about being able to control engagements through knowing the map design, he's basically saying he wants a non-skill-based advantage for himself personally.

He's also far too concerned with competitive gaming. 0.1% of a market should not dictate the other 99.9% of the product.

I feel like he'd be much happier playing Doom.

Edit: I LOL'd when he said that teams that controls the roof of C on Siege of Shanghai TDM/domination mode "dominates the map". Roof camping teams almost always lose in BF4.

Edit 2: Double LOL'd at the complaints about Lancang Dam's door. You don't have the right to not get shot. If you feel like exiting out that door doesn't allow for tactical gameplay, then don't exit through that door. Use one of the other four exits out of that building. Or don't go in the building in the first place.

Last edited:
Edit: I LOL'd when he said that teams that controls the roof of C on Siege of Shanghai TDM/domination mode "dominates the map". Roof camping teams almost always lose in BF4.

Edit 2: Double LOL'd at the complaints about Lancang Dam's door. You don't have the right to not get shot. If you feel like exiting out that door doesn't allow for tactical gameplay, then don't exit through that door. Use one of the other four exits out of that building. Or don't go in the building in the first place.

Definitely not my experience. I find most of the time, the team who parks a squad on the roof wins. They effectively cover B and cut off routes from A while also helping to cover C.
Now if you end up with more than a squad up there, yes they usually lose. Usually when that happens they are up there for kills and not trying to cover the flag. Because of the roof on Shanghai I don't even play the map anymore since the DLCs have come out. It would also be different if you could actually destroy the roof from below.

As far as the door goes, I never see anyone go out that door for that very reasons he mentioned. Everyone instead uses it as an entry point.

just put me on C roof with a support guy watching the elevators and supplying me ammo and i will control the sky effectively limiting troop movements to ground only. and i also control tank movements across the center of the map with slams.

i was 28-0 on flood zone earlier before a sniper finally took me out but i just spawned back up there decimating their air units and the snipers once again. shanghai is easier to control until a team gets fed up with you and destroys the building but then you just parachute down to the other elevator roof between D and E and get an even better spot for camping with slams for tanks that leave the main base and a point blank sraw shot for any choppers in the air, the only down side to that roof is you only get one chance to hit them usually and if you miss you usually can not get reloaded in time so it def has its downsides but it is generally more fun than C roof.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/494993295526395840/173514515/

Jimilica on the other team, switched to my team and was ramming friendly choppers into the roof to squish me he was so pissed at me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUaCD9muiE

Last edited:
That is true wildace. Whenever I see a crew up in either spot, I direct my squad to that area and hammer the shit out of it. On propaganda, last night I nearly lost a round to a squad that got on a roof between E and C. I guess they got a spawn point against the building and parachuted on top. It was the first time I have had to deal with it on that map. They were a pain in the ass. I am going to figure out how to counter it today.

As to the netcode. It depends more on the server now. Some servers run smooth while others are horrid. You have to reboot the server daily and use the high ping kick or else. I would also avoid any server over a 48 man. Usually the 32 man servers are really smooth with good hit reg.

I kind of agree with him on his analysis...most of the current maps there aren't really many segregated battle zones. With most of the BF4 "infantry maps" aside from Lockers, you can pretty much get shot up from any direction or angle. Not really fun.

Maps like Talah Market, Epicenter and Grand Bazaar were pretty fun and satisfying for me because you didnt really have to worry about 360 degrees and z axis, and you had separate pockets of controlled battles going on.

I disagree. His basic message is, more or less, "Make the map as simple as possible so that I can blast through a corridor of scrubs as quickly as possible." I started chuckling when he bashed vertical gameplay while explaining the Grand Bazaar layout. Of course he wouldn't want to have to look up; it distracts from his desire to go forward through the corridor and destroy scrubs. When he talks about being able to control engagements through knowing the map design, he's basically saying he wants a non-skill-based advantage for himself personally.

He's also far too concerned with competitive gaming. 0.1% of a market should not dictate the other 99.9% of the product.

I "think" his main point is...when there's a map that's just completely wide open it lends the gameplay to "run around like chickens with our heads cut off" and doesn't lend itself to any sort of tactical gameplay.

I personally love operation locker on conquest...I think it's really fun when you have a squad moving as a squad. It's much harder (IMO) to move as a unit on those very open maps.

As to the netcode. It depends more on the server now. Some servers run smooth while others are horrid. You have to reboot the server daily and use the high ping kick or else. I would also avoid any server over a 48 man. Usually the 32 man servers are really smooth with good hit reg.

QFT. The netcode seems to work best with 32 or less. I usually try to play with less than 32 unless is a conquest large map.

The many angles of attack are why good squad work is vital. If you try and solo on a big map, expect to get blindsided.

The many angles of attack are why good squad work is vital. If you try and solo on a big map, expect to get blindsided.

Good squad work wont save you from having to watch 360 degrees all the time. You will get blindsided by people sprinting around from all directions without ADS'ing. Shooting from the hip is ridiculously accurate.

Definitely not my experience. I find most of the time, the team who parks a squad on the roof wins. They effectively cover B and cut off routes from A while also helping to cover C.

Camping on the roof takes them completely out of visual range of A and B. A team concentrated on C cannot make a push for A and B. The other team merely needs to hold A and B to win.

I "think" his main point is...when there's a map that's just completely wide open it lends the gameplay to "run around like chickens with our heads cut off" and doesn't lend itself to any sort of tactical gameplay.

And my point is that, if that's his expectation, he's playing the wrong game.

BF4 is balanced around conquest mode. By definition, conquest is everything he hates in level design. That's the entire point of conquest; nonlinear pathing through a defined area to seize and hold objectives. That goes double for a vehicle-based game like Battlefield.

I'd agree except his examples for map oversight was TDM. I cant really blame the devs for this. BF is about big and open maps. They cherry picked some sections of the map and made it TDM. Crappy spots? Maybe. But his exampls of pathing I think take away from the game. BF is about how big it is. How you can get enemies coming from anywhere. There is a solution for anything! If you're not changing your play style 10 times per round you're doing it wrong. Someone have the high spot and overlooking the next flag? Smoke em! Moratar em! Fly over with an air vehicle. There are "king of the hill" spots in many maps. I dont think they take away from the game at all. To me, lvlcap's complains sound like that of someone stuck in CoD playstyle.

As far as his example on Lancang Dam though... spot on.

I personally love operation locker on conquest...I think it's really fun when you have a squad moving as a squad. It's much harder (IMO) to move as a unit on those very open maps.

This reminds me of how me and the BC2 clan I was with hated BF3 when it came out, I had a chat with this guy and some of his “pro” friends and they felt the same. we played a little of Caspian and other maps and felt that we’re just normal players who can’t do one man army stuff and keep getting killed because we have to worry about endless things that’s impossible to predict, and because they nerfed all the things competitive players with aggressive style used (maneuvering speed, shotguns with slugs, sniper rifles, AT4, etc).

I like Team Deathmatch =) I won't play the other modes unless I'm bored I don't play the game a lot.
I had fun for a few seconds killing like three infantry guys with a Tank using the machine gun it was like a movie just falling over but the fact is it's not really fair for the other team kinda impersonal just blowing stuff up with a Tank.

Planetside 2 is different though =) You only have one mode of gameplay but different choices.

i really liked carrier assault but cant seem to find a good server for it any more... just not enough people palying BF4 to keep all the game modes populated :(

never had this problem with BFBC2 or BF3 hell or BF2

anyone able to get this working through Chrome 64 bit?

It seems like the browser plugin doesn't work yet....

Camping on the roof takes them completely out of visual range of A and B. A team concentrated on C cannot make a push for A and B. The other team merely needs to hold A and B to win.

And my point is that, if that's his expectation, he's playing the wrong game.

BF4 is balanced around conquest mode. By definition, conquest is everything he hates in level design. That's the entire point of conquest; nonlinear pathing through a defined area to seize and hold objectives. That goes double for a vehicle-based game like Battlefield.

Kids like predictable and BC2 for example you cant miss using sniper and you cant move away from the aimline as I for example could with BF2 and Bf1942.
So with Bc2 I used the CG to take out snipers which then complained about skill when sniping requries no skill. Sadly no counter that should work are present with either Bf3 and BF4, making the games arcade noobs kids games.

DICE lost how to design their own game after BF2, BC2/BF3 and BF4 are all squaring gamers into the same mold.
It made all the recent dice games no fun to play.
Fun is lost since Bf2.

Its why most say fix the game but they dont understand what to fix but Bf2 had it right.
It was fun.

The rest of the pile of dung they have the stomach to call battlfield isnt.
sadly and tragic a company lost their own brand due to not understanding their own gameserie they once made.

If I had the money I develop a real battlefield that is fun.

I'm 6 road kills, 10 explosive kills away from Phantom initiate. dammit!!!! I want camos!

I'm 6 road kills, 10 explosive kills away from Phantom initiate. dammit!!!! I want camos!

Heh, I probably average 20 roadkills per round in a Little Bird just getting rid of roofmonkeys. Rustles a jimmy or two. You might try that.

could anyone tell me why my keyboard and mouse no longer work on bf4?

i was just playing fine a few hours ago and now i cant do anything but alt tab.
there is no cursor and i cant even hit esc to enter the menu.

ive tried repairing the game, updating punkbuster, blah blah blah.

anyone have any idea wtf is going on?

could anyone tell me why my keyboard and mouse no longer work on bf4?

i was just playing fine a few hours ago and now i cant do anything but alt tab.
there is no cursor and i cant even hit esc to enter the menu.

ive tried repairing the game, updating punkbuster, blah blah blah.

anyone have any idea wtf is going on?

Never seen that. Reboot and run the game as administrator. Also cross your fingers.

anyone able to get this working through Chrome 64 bit?

It seems like the browser plugin doesn't work yet....

After about an hour of searching, it looks like there is no 64bit support for the Battlelog plug-in.. yet.

I'm really enjoying the decreased render time of 64bit chrome so it looks like I will need to re-enable IE11 just for BF4 :eek:

Back