Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

Same here.

Thought it was me.. I was able to get server page, and tried connecting, but said "something went wrong" No shit.. :\

Is BF4 finally worth picking up, now that some expansions are out ?

I am a big Battlefield fan, but waited almost a year after release to pick up BF3, to allow the game to be patched and fixed. So is BF4 ready for prime time now ? I'm looking for something new after playing BF3 so long.

I am a big Battlefield fan, but waited almost a year after release to pick up BF3, to allow the game to be patched and fixed. So is BF4 ready for prime time now ? I'm looking for something new after playing BF3 so long.

It's been worth picking up since Second Assault came out, IMO. The recent netcode tickrate patch helped the game a lot as well.

Yes, give it a try.

anyone else crashing a lot more since the dlc was released?

yup - -getting mantle API crashes every now and then, as well as memory leaks

They just have to fuck something up EVERY time don't they.

Using latest AMD drivers, had to disable crossfire, at 1440p - high quality, was getting something like 30fps (Crossfire 290s)

disable crossfire, suddenly I'm getting 50-80fps on ultra quality , god damn dice.

so since i started playing again because of the dlc i have a few SRAW kills i put into another video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUaCD9muiE

although i do not think any of them are from the new maps, really only the one map has littlebirds so i do not find my self playing engineer much on the new maps.

Is anybody here with problems to save the settings !?

I cant save the **** settings anymore.

Everytime i start bf4 it is like the first time !

Its driving me crazy :mad: !

yup - -getting mantle API crashes every now and then, as well as memory leaks

They just have to fuck something up EVERY time don't they.

Using latest AMD drivers, had to disable crossfire, at 1440p - high quality, was getting something like 30fps (Crossfire 290s)

disable crossfire, suddenly I'm getting 50-80fps on ultra quality , god damn dice.

So, "C'mon DICE fix the AMD drivers"

That it?

No crashing for me after DLC. Even before that, it has been super stable. Using older 13.9 drivers playing at 1600p ultra settings 2xMSAA. Constant 60fps

I’m going to buy it :(

I only played BF3 for about 10 hours when it was released and I reinstalled it couple of days ago and I’m not sure if I have something broken in the server browser or the game is actually very dead.

if I remove the "popular" maps from the search I get 2 empty servers

2j2ai5l.jpg

even if I add the popular maps there are very few servers (not counting the empty and servers with player count like 6/48)

even BC2 is still more populated!

ok I think it's a problem from thier side, origin is offline and I can't sign in even in BC2.

Anyone have tips on Mantle crashing on map loads? I've still yet to ever hear a response or fix. I have never been able to load a single game using Mantle without it crashing on the map load.

I only played BF3 for about 10 hours when it was released and I reinstalled it couple of days ago and I’m not sure if I have something broken in the server browser or the game is actually very dead.

Well, consider that the game's been out almost 3 years, and if you've only played 10 hours during that time, maybe the real problem is that you don't care about playing the game.

The vanilla maps always have activity, the DLC maps are more hit and miss. But its hardly surprising that servers are relatively empty this late in the game's cycle. Even BF4's activity drops off pretty fast after a DLC is released and people go back to whatever else they were playing. That just seems to be the nature of MP games these days and the fickle players that drift in and out of them because there's always a new one around the corner.

2j2ai5l.jpg

even if I add the popular maps there are very few servers (not counting the empty and servers with player count like 6/48)

even BC2 is still more populated!

i say this not knowing which filter overrides the other, but you have BF3 (base game) and Back to Karkand selected on the left and then very few of the maps that coincide with those 'games' selected on the right. i think these search settings result in you only looking for games on the Wake Island and Strike at Karkand maps. Select all of the DLC's on the left and see if that gets you more servers.

i say this not knowing which filter overrides the other, but you have BF3 (base game) and Back to Karkand selected on the left and then very few of the maps that coincide with those 'games' selected on the right. i think these search settings result in you only looking for games on the Wake Island and Strike at Karkand maps. Select all of the DLC's on the left and see if that gets you more servers.

And get rid of "ranked" filter.

There are people still playing bf2 much less bf3. It is the dumb ass browser that is the issue. Go ahead and play around with the settings. Also, Aftermath DLC is probably the most played game dlc in bf3 besides vanilla. I think it has the best maps in the game for ground pounding.

Any of you guys mess with the leaderboards? They actually give me some incentive and challenges when I have spent nearly 700 hours in the game. I love comparing myself to friends and people in my City and State.

I am currently first place in a number of categories in Kansas City area: Total Points (28+ million pts), Kills (42,102), Support kit (8.9+ million pts), LMG's (9,537 kills), Carbines (9,271 kills), Handguns (2,334 kills), Fighter Jets (1,247 kills), Carbine Kills in a Round (97), LMG Kills in a Round (108). I know that isn't saying much when there are only 200 PC players in the area, but I feel its a small accomplishment especially when a few years ago I was so terrible I would have been lucky to get more kills than deaths or finish top 10 in any given round.

Any of you guys mess with the leaderboards? They actually give me some incentive and challenges when I have spent nearly 700 hours in the game. I love comparing myself to friends and people in my City and State.

I got up as high as #4 in Attack Heli during BF3's heyday (Jan - June 2012), 95% of my kills as pilot, simply because I was playing with a clan just about every day. Never even looked at the leaderboards until someone pointed out I was #30.

Eventually the sad truth hit me that leaderboards are nothing more than a free time contest, and there's always going to be a teenager or unemployed dude out there with more free time than you. That was a freeing moment, since while it was fun to compete for leaderboard position within the clan, ultimately it made the game a chore and a grind to get a minimum quota of kills every day. Once I accepted that I stopped caring and could go back to having fun.

Last edited:
After 10-hour weekend game sessions, I have to say, the new Dragon's Teeth is freaking amazing. There are still problems here and there, of course. Mostly the netcode problem. But there are also occasionally invisible wall bug. Check my video:

http://youtu.be/jRkrwG7wn1w?list=UUC65QBCPNKToZQn45CPKwiQ

but it is highly playable and 300% times better than it was first released. Looks like getting the premium over the discount weekend wasn't such a bad idea. I am a happy customer now!

I also made a short montage in the new dragon's teeth DLC. Have a look:
http://youtu.be/HGsFboa8hnk?list=UUC65QBCPNKToZQn45CPKwiQ

Jeez, 700 hours. And I feel like I've invested too much at 175. *Salutes*

After 10-hour weekend game sessions, I have to say, the new Dragon's Teeth is freaking amazing.

Outside of sunken dragon (woeful map), I agree.

really wish amd or dice would fix the mantle+crossfire+eyefinity performance leak because the scaling is amazing.

keep in mind this is only in the test range so its not entirely accurate game play perf. comparison.

but with 290's
Single GPU in mantle i get about 105fps max settings.
Single GPU in DX11 i get about 92fps max settings.
3 GPU's in mantle i get about 280-300fps max settings.
3 GPU's DX11 i get about 200fps max settings.

and in every situation mantle "feels" much smoother when looking round and moving around.

Single gpu tho i get no perf degradation it is only when crossfire is enabled and multiple displays. and i do not want to disable my extra monitors and not clone my primary display to my capture card so i can't use crossfire atm if i want to use mantle. so it is a big issue that needs to be fixed.

i would rather use mantle with a single gpu than dx11 with multiple it just feels that much smoother.

really wish amd or dice would fix the mantle+crossfire+eyefinity performance leak because the scaling is amazing.

keep in mind this is only in the test range so its not entirely accurate game play perf. comparison.

but with 290's
Single GPU in mantle i get about 105fps max settings.
Single GPU in DX11 i get about 92fps max settings.
3 GPU's in mantle i get about 280-300fps max settings.
3 GPU's DX11 i get about 200fps max settings.

and in every situation mantle "feels" much smoother when looking round and moving around.

Single gpu tho i get no perf degradation it is only when crossfire is enabled and multiple displays. and i do not want to disable my extra monitors and not clone my primary display to my capture card so i can't use crossfire atm if i want to use mantle. so it is a big issue that needs to be fixed.

i would rather use mantle with a single gpu than dx11 with multiple it just feels that much smoother.

Agreed!!! I just put Tri-Fire into my machine. Scaling was AMAZING until they released the latest patch just before Dragons Teeth was released..now the game play for shit. Laggy as hell.

Thanks.

Its hard for me to divert my attention to multiple video games within a small timeframe. For some reason I can't just play this game today and a different game tomorrow. I took a 2 week hiatus from battlefield to play the Batman games in my Steam backlog. I beat them in order, but didn't touch any other games that entire time. Those games were in my backlog for over a year.

I guess when I find something fun and I am good at it, I tend to obsess over it. I find new ways to entertain myself with this game every day.

Anyone having issues with lag/ping recently? Normally I have zero problems maintaining a 25-30 ping to quite a few servers, but right now I'm getting spikes every 10-30 seconds up to 400ping.

My internet connection seems normal though and pingtest.net results are all perfect.

edit: Seems like a manual PB update cured that.

Last edited:
I'm also really enjoying the new Dragon's Teeth DLC. I like the new challanges and weapons as well. Although getting the Deagle was kind of a pain in the ass, 20 headshots was not easy with the Unica. I had to join a pistols only server and grind through it.
For the most part I love the lay outs and battle zones of the new maps.

Outside of sunken dragon (woeful map), I agree.

I hate that map so much =) I like I spawn in front and just dozens of sniper rounds going off crack crack snipe people dying left and right from the Spawn campers =)

The one map on the Roof tops with the Chinese signs Buses all over the place is the most confusing map I ever played on a Deathmatch.

I need some new skills in this game I'm always on the bottom unless I know the map.

I need some new skills in this game I'm always on the bottom unless I know the map.

Here's an easy way that I usually suggest to friends just getting started. Look for a squad with some decent KDR's, ideally where they aren't all Recons and you see at least one support and one assault/medic. Run with the better players slightly behind them and let them take point and watch what they do. When somebody shoots the squadmate, shoot the enemy and then revive the squadmate. Slowly you'll get a better sense of how to approach different parts of various maps and not be killed instantly. If you join a squad and see that they're scattered all over the map then thats probably not a squad you want to be in because they're not working together.

Ive got 120 hours going....haven't played the last few expansions...letting Origin patch and install the expansions and I'm gonna jump back in...

Here's an easy way that I usually suggest to friends just getting started. Look for a squad with some decent KDR's, ideally where they aren't all Recons and you see at least one support and one assault/medic. Run with the better players slightly behind them and let them take point and watch what they do. When somebody shoots the squadmate, shoot the enemy and then revive the squadmate. Slowly you'll get a better sense of how to approach different parts of various maps and not be killed instantly. If you join a squad and see that they're scattered all over the map then thats probably not a squad you want to be in because they're not working together.

Definitely agree with this.

Run with a squad, even strangers, and cover them as much as possible. If you are not the attacking kind, allow them to attack and you cover them. This will help everyone.

really enjoying the new maps, although ive developed a the dreaded stuttering on the new maps :(

really enjoying the new maps, although ive developed a the dreaded stuttering on the new maps :(

Same. Just started playing again and @ 1080p Ultra, no AA i get shitty performance most of the time on the new maps, especially Market.

My CPU usage is always above 75% and GPU usage is about 60%. Terribly optimized game now after the July 8 patch. BF3 on the other hand runs smooth and plays great.

I still can't believe this game is still a mess. And the netcode seems to be back to shit as well.

DICE needs to hang it up as a developer.

No issues at all on the new maps for me, I have it capped at 75fps which it's pegged at all times at 1080p Ultra setting, and network lag has been smooth for me as well (after I did a PB update a couple nights ago.)

Back