Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

Both of you have a level of maturity that can only be found in a battlefield thread.

Thank you for your critizicim but I happened to be drinking when arguing with the nublet. And I cant help but say thing like what I said when I drink, especially when someone makes ignorant claims.

What in the hell?

Bonsai is not a tree, it's an art form.

Uhhh yeah, I'm not even gonna waste my time. Either troll or just stupid *hits ignore button*

What in the hell?

Bonsai is not a tree, it's an art form.

Uhhh yeah, I'm not even gonna waste my time. Either troll or just stupid *hits ignore button*

Umm you know those little mini Japanese trees?

They are called bonsai trees. I may be mistaken but im not trolling you seriously

5bULRwv.gif

Dictionary.com for the win!

bon·sai [bon-sahy, -zahy, bohn-, bon-sahy, -zahy, bohn-] Show IPA
noun, plural bon·sai.
a tree or shrub that has been dwarfed, as by pruning the roots and pinching, and is grown in a pot or other container and trained to produce a desired shape or effect.
the art or hobby of developing and growing such a plant or plants.

Haha, good one.

The relevancy of your post to contribute to the discussion is what?

Inside jokes are hard for other people to get so they have to post a comment to feel like they are speaking for other people, which in some cases is actually true, for instance, in this case!

Anywho, played from BF4 last night, no problems for me, did have a few dead body protecting people behind issues, but other than that, all was fine.

Inside jokes are hard for other people to get so they have to post a comment to feel like they are speaking for other people, which in some cases is actually true, for instance, in this case!

Anywho, played from BF4 last night, no problems for me, did have a few dead body protecting people behind issues, but other than that, all was fine.

Inside joke? That makes no sense. Whos speaking for other people.

All I did was say Hi to Kyle since I think he is about the only tech reviewer left that actually knows what hes talking about. Jeez

1)ROFL wanna talk about history enlightened one? Bonzai was the charge they did at you like maniacs just like in game, you are confusing it with kamikaze which is when their plane pilots just killed themselves by ramming your ships at Pearl Harbor. You are a joke, wanna talk about the kettle calling the pot black? Uneducated American trying to tell me about history when I was educated in Europe now sit down.

2) As for the balancing decisions you are also clueless, the game recreates what soviets, germans, americans and Japanese did to perfection. They had to do something to make the bonzai usefull, what a crazy Japanese comes running at you with sword or bayonet so you could just shoot them? What is the point to that? No to balance the game they made it so the americans blacked out and feared the attack and also the Japanese can take more damage due to this Ill repeat myself due to amphetamine and sake. You are the one who knows nothing about history and are probably a 20 year old college kid who cant even to a simple algebra equation.

3) Yes the japenese weapons were inferior if not the devs wouldn't have added default bayonets, they have no semi auto rifles like the germans, soviets or americans had, they have one friggen sub machine gun and ohh a grenade launcher. Want to talk about trolling? While I don't think you are doing it intentionally you are just blindly defending n00bfield and call of n00b with ignorant remarks you have no clue what you speak of.

4) Haha tough guy? What you mad cause you just got a Dell last year and are STARTING to learn about PCs while I been around since late 90s and have industry certs? Your rhethoric is played out and predictable, I can tell your jelly and butthurt.
Its ok Im adding you to ignore list now since my keystrokes are not worth the time to responding to a n00b

You said "bonsai."

If people became that crippled by Japanese charges, the Japanese would of won.

Are you seriously using a video game to determine whether real world weapons were inferior...

So insults, chest pounding, and more insults just because you have backed yourself into a corner with your own ignorance.... amazing.

On topic: Still loving the AWS, though I do best with it while playing "Rush" game modes.

I guess someone doesn't know that when he is on ignore list his rambling is not viewable.
Also this person doesn't know what cyberstalking laws are and if he keeps it up.....

Haha, good one.

The relevancy of your post to contribute to the discussion is what?

So, you go in here calling everyone a noob unless they play RO2, talk about how amazing RO2 is and then ask someone what their relevancy to the discussion is?

Really, it's fine if you like RO2 and think it's better than anything else, but why come into the BF4 thread and derail it? Also, calling all Americans inferior to you because of your education is an odd way of forming your argument.

Anyways, can we get this back on topic?

@ the players in Brazil, those guys are in every game just jumping around. I am pretty sure they do it on purpose or there really are no servers in South America.

We can stay on topic and drop all the name calling or you will be banned. I don't have time to continually moderate idiocy.

So, you go in here calling everyone a noob unless they play RO2, talk about how amazing RO2 is and then ask someone what their relevancy to the discussion is?

Really, it's fine if you like RO2 and think it's better than anything else, but why come into the BF4 thread and derail it? Also, calling all Americans inferior to you because of your education is an odd way of forming your argument.

Anyways, can we get this back on topic?

@ the players in Brazil, those guys are in every game just jumping around. I am pretty sure they do it on purpose or there really are no servers in South America.

Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread, was just recommending RO2 as a better alternative.
I never called everyone a n00b, there are plenty of non n00bs still in BF4 what I said is that its FULL of n00bs not all. And nor did I say anything about ALL americans.

But yes as you wish continue the topic of BF. Have fun.

Dragons Teeth weapons and gadgets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZZAtMTGD4

Don't like the look of either of the gadgets. Not a fan of any of the weapons either aside from the MPX. Hopefully the maps will be nice...

more on this:

A number of images and a video that have surfaced online reveal new weapons and other additions coming to Battlefield 4 in its Dragon’s Teeth DLC.

Users on the Symthic forums and Reddit combed through files that were recently added to the PC version of the game and found models for the following weapons:

Desert Eagle (handgun)
Unica 6 Magnum (handgun)
SIG MPX (submachine gun)
SRSS Bulldog 762 (assault rifle)
McMillan CS5 (sniper rifle)
The video above by YouTube user DANNYonPC also shows off a ballistic shield DICE already confirmed would be added in the Dragon’s Teeth DLC, and a remote control robot equipped with a machine gun and grenade launcher.

Other details leaked online suggest that Dragon’s Teeth will raise the rank cap from 120 to 130, and that its new maps will be called Marketplace, Propaganda, Urban Garden, and Waterfront.

DICE recently announced that it plans to launch a new "Community Test Environment" that will enable it to test new improvements and changes with the help of PC players.

The Dragon’s teeth DLC is set to launch this summer. For more on Battlefield 4, check out GameSpot’s previous coverage.
(gamespot)

i'm looking forward to the SRSS Bulldog and the McMillan. i don't really snipe much but i like to run around like a dipshit using a sniper rifle in close quarters. i die a lot.

FFS, you two the argument has gone on long enough. No one cares about bonsai, bonzai, tomato, butthurt potato.

NO ONE. FUCKING. CARES.

Go to GenMay if you want to discuss silly trees or battle cries. In the meantime, suck it up, change your tampons, and put on your big girl pants. Back on topic.

Kyle banned the fuckhead already.

Kyle banned the fuckhead already.

Nevermind then. All is good with the world.

==============

I'm lookin forward to the new guns. I really want to see how they balance the DEagle. That thing is going to be a beast. IMHO, it should have same damage model and firing rate as the magnum, but it will differ by being less accurate and have a larger magazine size.

I also like the concept of an EOD bot with some armament. I don't think they should have grenade launchers on it, but rather it should have smoke launchers and I hope its LMG is either terribly innacurate or it's underpowered so people don't start abusing it. It would be the perfect tool to punch through corridors. I see a marketplace as one of the new maps, so I'm betting a few more will be infantry focused.

I can imagine it now. New EOD bot leads the charge with smoke and spray and pray for cover fire, followed by support class with the shield and medics behind them. It will be an interesting game mechanic to leverage that's for certain. Also, it won't be an OP combo since your opponents could blast you with an RPG, toss a grenade behind, or shoot M320's or LVG's to land behind the shield. These new weapons could actually encourage teamwork for a change (provided DICE doesn't fuck it up with a glitched or OP weapon).

Last edited:
I'm lookin forward to the new guns. I really want to see how they balance the DEagle. That thing is going to be a beast. IMHO, it should have same damage model and firing rate as the magnum, but it will differ by being less accurate and have a larger magazine size.

I also like the concept of an EOD bot with some armament. I don't think they should have grenade launchers on it, but rather it should have smoke launchers and I hope its LMG is either terribly innacurate or it's underpowered so people don't start abusing it. It would be the perfect tool to punch through corridors. I see a marketplace as one of the new maps, so I'm betting a few more will be infantry focused.

Deagle is right on the border of things getting cheesy, let's face it they're going eery close to CoD stupidity with the introduction of the ballistic shield, only thing left is throwing knives and double wielded Deagles with diamond camo's.... and nukes, I suppose.

I'm sure younger players appreciate all these gimmicks added by every DLC, and now Wall-E bots that are going to cruise around in Metro with grenade launchers while everyone else runs around with shields, but the classic Battlefield experience only continues to get further watered down and lost by polluting the game with so many gadgets and toys for console kids.

Beta has the servers running at 30 hz now.

Praise the lord. It's frustrating that it took them this long. I got in on the CTE just in case they added something worthwhile to reinstall and start playing the game again, looks like this might be the motivation I needed to download and install the CTE version.

I want my x-bow from BF3, that is all, but apparently I can't have that!

The 30 hz fix seems to really help. Very positive reviews so far.

BIG NEWS: Dice Developers in game are saying they are pushing for this fix to be released today or tomorrow. It seems to really help the bs issues. You feel the individual bullets like bf3, vehicle and people collision is much better AND:

HIGH PINGERS DON'T HAVE NEARLY THE ADVANTAGE ANYMORE!! This is not totally fixed but a big step in the right direction. Say a 60% improvement in the getting killed behind cover department for example.

Last edited:
It is not the tick rate. It is the server to client send rate which means they are cutting the latency down from 100 to 30 or 33. The lag hackers are getting their advantage cut down big time.

Beta has the servers running at 30 hz now.
Its a fucking miracle. This was the rate for BF3, why it was so low for BF4 is ridiculous. Wasn't it set to 10hz or something retarded? Considering how fast some weapons shoot, or how fast vehicles travel, 10hz was criminally low.

What dis?

What does this mean Spaceman? And more importantly how does it help the game?
It had do with the refresh rate in communications between the server and client. It was commonly called "server tick rate" but I have no idea what the actual term was. It measured the amount of times per second your game client is communicating with the server, hence the use of herz for measurement. BF3 had a 30hz rate. IIRC, BF3 also started with a lower tick rate and was raised to 30hz after a couple patches to fix lag issues. The big controversy is that most fps games use a tick rate much higher than this, closer to 100hz. Due to bandwidth restrictions from MS and Sony and so much more shit going on in game than other fps games (vehicles, crumbling buildings, etc.), DICE decided larger packets reporting less often was a better way to go. We all know this just doesn't work that well. DICE somehow forgot this lesson from Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3, both of which had patches to raise this number.

The other main issue is that all sorts of in-game scripted events are tied directly to the server tick rate. They can't just raise it to 100hz no matter how much we want them to. At best, the tick rate and lag issues will be as good as BF3 unless they fundamentally re-code everything (which they should be considering for BF5). Honestly, if we get BF3 performance, I think most people will be happy. 30hz isn't perfect and you will still see the occasional "already behind the wall and got shot" instances occurring, but I imagine they will happen a hell of a lot less often.

Last edited:
Deagle is right on the border of things getting cheesy, let's face it they're going eery close to CoD stupidity with the introduction of the ballistic shield, only thing left is throwing knives and double wielded Deagles with diamond camo's.... and nukes, I suppose.

I'm sure younger players appreciate all these gimmicks added by every DLC, and now Wall-E bots that are going to cruise around in Metro with grenade launchers while everyone else runs around with shields, but the classic Battlefield experience only continues to get further watered down and lost by polluting the game with so many gadgets and toys for console kids.
Having been with Battlefield since the very beginning with the BF1942 Wake Island demo, I honestly think them coming up with so many new things is great. Anything to mix up the monotony. When you play 1000+ hours like I do with each battlefield release, things can get stale and the only hope is to wait for the sequel release.

I do agree with you that they have to be really careful what they add to the game, and DICE is notorious for not getting it right first time out the gate (anti-air mines + stingers, attack chopper double flares, etc. ad nauseum). However, I can see how these new gadgets can be used appropriately. One of the great things about having so much variety is there is a weapon to counter everything. Many times its the old standby weapons that end up countering the new stuff (e.g. rpg's, grenades, c4).

I'm lookin forward to the new guns.

Honestly I wish they'd add some of the ones from BF3 back. No HK roller delayed blowback series? I miss my G3. I would like if it if they took a weapon type and made a bunch of variants of it (like they did with the AK-12). They could add a bunch of different weapons are re-use animations/3D model parts in many places reducing the work load. Using the HK series as an example, we could get a 7.62, 5.56 rifles for assault/carbine categories, 7.62, 5.56 automatic rifles and belt feds for support, 7.62, 5.56 DMRs, and 9mm SMGs for engineer. :p

But, at least add in an FN FAL, MK18 and MK12. Need some more of the classics, and I don't like the burst M4.

Going with this. Some of the custom camo already look very out of place (red/blood camo) but luckily they are not too common. I like the idea of different camos but going with absurd colors isn't a good thing. And as mentioned, I think these gadgets look rather terrible.

Its a fucking miracle. This was the rate for BF3, why it was so low for BF4 is ridiculous. Wasn't it set to 10hz or something retarded? Considering how fast some weapons shoot, or how fast vehicles travel, 10hz was criminally low.

It had do with the refresh rate in communications between the server and client. It was commonly called "server tick rate" but I have no idea what the actual term was. It measured the amount of times per second your game client is communicating with the server, hence the use of herz for measurement. BF3 had a 30hz rate. IIRC, BF3 also started with a lower tick rate and was raised to 30hz after a couple patches to fix lag issues. The big controversy is that most fps games use a tick rate much higher than this, closer to 100hz. Due to bandwidth restrictions from MS and Sony and so much more shit going on in game than other fps games (vehicles, crumbling buildings, etc.), DICE decided larger packets reporting less often was a better way to go. We all know this just doesn't work that well. DICE somehow forgot this lesson from Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3, both of which had patches to raise this number.

The other main issue is that all sorts of in-game scripted events are tied directly to the server tick rate. They can't just raise it to 100hz no matter how much we want them to. At best, the tick rate and lag issues will be as good as BF3 unless they fundamentally re-code everything (which they should be considering for BF5). Honestly, if we get BF3 performance, I think most people will be happy. 30hz isn't perfect and you will still see the occasional "already behind the wall and got shot" instances occurring, but I imagine they will happen a hell of a lot less often.

The server simulation ticked at 30, but clients sent data at 10 because DICE. BF4 was the same as BF3.

Also most games don't use anything much higher. Quake 3 ticked at 20hz out of the box, all COD games are probably still the same. UT was similar.

Last edited:
The server simulation ticked at 30, but clients sent data at 10 because DICE. BF4 was the same as BF3.

Also most games don't use anything much higher. Quake 3 ticked at 20hz out of the box, all COD games are probably still the same. UT was similar.
You are right. I got into the CTE, and there are some amazing threads with DICE developers explaining things.

Here is the rumblings I'm hearing now about this "tick rate".

They are currently trying a hybrid setup in the beta. When you are within 300 meters of an enemy, your tick rate is 30. If you are outside of 300 meters, your tick rate is 10. I'm not quite sure how this works, but I know its intended to save bandwidth since you are unlikely to face anything but a sniper bullet or missile at that range since 300 meters is usually over half the size of the average map or a majority of the flags fit within that area.

As far as the 100hz figure I mentioned. There are a few people that seem to think that should be the setup since at some point there were competitive counterstrike servers running something similar. Comparing CS to BF is like apples to oranges though. The general consensus from those people with some technical knowledge on this subject is that 30 is more than sufficient, but it was the 10hz client side that was causing most of the issues. I've also heard that 30hz is a limit set by MS and Sony for their consoles, so the frostbite engine was written around this number.

Last edited:
Back