Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

You're missing my point.

My opinion is that your methods of assessing an FPS game's quality are questionably relevant.

How is horrible net code"questionably relevant" to a fps game?

Seems fairly important on my end.

I've followed this thread for a while now, wondering if I'd finally break and buy it (nope).

Something that has become clear from this and other recent titles (read: last 5 years); the FPS genre is not going to get any better as long as the industry keeps doing what it does.

Annual / Bi-Annual releases ensure that a title never gets long-term bug fixes and the community is constantly polarized with high skilled players immediately rising to the top and newer players never getting a chance to get good.

The latter becomes compounded with unlock systems, lower playtime players unlock weapons slower, and don't have a chance to "master" one, by the time they've got enough time in to have them all unlocked.

This is then compounded with DLC / Expansions, which also segment the most important part of any multiplayer game, the community.

The communities of these games are just plain terrible. Part of it is the popularity (1 in 1000 people are assholes, but when there's 5 million people playing, you get a lot of assholes) but the other part comes from those other aspects I mentioned. Why should I care about being labelled as a "bad apple"? In 3 months there will be a new game, I'll have a new name, stats will be reset, hackers will have a new account, etc etc. Any punishment becomes extremely temporary.

Well what about a FPS MMO? Yeah...no thanks. That's the other extreme of solutions and has its own set of problems.

Jack Frags presents...

The Death Shield!

Has this happened to you?

Saw that this morning. Definitely shady by DICE. Thinking back to playing yesterday, I can identify a half dozen times when that death shield likely came into play. I'm trying to get the Phantom Prospect assignment done, so playing a lot of hallway maps, and there was more than a handful of times where I would take down 1 or two guys in a hallway but somehow miss direct hits on the guys funnelling down the hallway behind them. Though I could be mis-identifying the bug. Is it only projectile related?

Saw that this morning. Definitely shady by DICE. Thinking back to playing yesterday, I can identify a half dozen times when that death shield likely came into play. I'm trying to get the Phantom Prospect assignment done, so playing a lot of hallway maps, and there was more than a handful of times where I would take down 1 or two guys in a hallway but somehow miss direct hits on the guys funnelling down the hallway behind them. Though I could be mis-identifying the bug. Is it only projectile related?

they showed it working with some bullets i thought i didnt re watch it.

bullets are projectiles in bf4, also i know it stops a c4 blast. it works good in elevators.

at the end of one of my videos you can see operation meat shield and we used bodies to stop a c4 blast from killing everyone, irishrage survived the blast being in the back and ran out and cleared the roof.

tech there should be no way to survive that blast if that bug was not there.

this should skip to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...list=PLsgYHSj0b3ofbzUWox2DbC8LuphFTZ_0S#t=663

they showed it working with some bullets i thought i didnt re watch it.

bullets are projectiles in bf4, also i know it stops a c4 blast. it works good in elevators.

at the end of one of my videos you can see operation meat shield and we used bodies to stop a c4 blast from killing everyone, irishrage survived the blast being in the back and ran out and cleared the roof.

tech there should be no way to survive that blast if that bug was not there.

this should skip to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...list=PLsgYHSj0b3ofbzUWox2DbC8LuphFTZ_0S#t=663

Something similar happened to me the other day. Playing on Hianan and found myself on top of C for some reason. Saw the elevator doors close so I put down 3 sticks of C4 right in front of the door. Got 3 kills when it opened. So I derpidy derp'd back over there to lay more C4 and some dude popped me from inside the elevator.

cI5ySRf.jpg

.. personally I think you should be auto-kicked if your ping spikes above 100 in any server.

The net code isn't the best, but there are external factors that just exacerbate the problem

so a whole shit load of people would never be able to play the game?

so a whole shit load of people would never be able to play the game?

or they would actually have to play in their regions. or rent servers in their region.

it would suck for large groups tho that are multi region which is why it will never happen.

there are servers that kick for too high of ping, they need to let you filter for them tho to make em easy to find if that is where someone wants to play.

or they would actually have to play in their regions. or rent servers in their region.

it would suck for large groups tho that are multi region which is why it will never happen.

there are servers that kick for too high of ping, they need to let you filter for them tho to make em easy to find if that is where someone wants to play.
The players I despise the most are the Japanese and Koreans connecting to the North America servers. That pisses me off to no end. People connecting from England don't have anywhere near the high ping they do. The Asians have plenty of servers over there, and they are technically cheating and exploiting this game's client side hit detection since it favors the high pinger (be it intentionally or unintentionally). I've seen people with 400+ pings connecting to North American servers. That's 4/10's of a second. On the fastest firing guns, that's 4-5 bullets that have already hit you and you are dead before they show up on your screen. On the rare chance you actually get behind one, you can't shoot them since they have already moved from the spot you were firing at, then turning to shoot you in the face.

As far as the servers, you can't filter for them because the high ping kicker is a 3rd party admin script. DICE would have zero way to locate them unless they implement a high-ping kicker of their own.

The only thing you can do is search out the ranked, non-official servers that run the scripts.

I play a lot on Black Heart, TBG, KoF, SoC, JRKS, and AOD servers. There are few others but I can't seem to remember them. If I find one with a high ping kicker, I favorite it.

Last edited:
Naval Assault is OK I got a ton of XP
PHP:
points for like a hour long match mainly the boats and air rule the maps it seems. I like Recon better for the most part.

False premise. A game can have fantastic netcode and be worthless for competitive play.

It isn't a false premise; If a game has bad netcode, it will always be worthless for competitive play. It is always relevant. Once that box is checked, then you move on to whatever other aspects are required of a competitive-level game.

It isn't a false premise; If a game has bad netcode, it will always be worthless for competitive play. It is always relevant. Once that box is checked, then you move on to whatever other aspects are required of a competitive-level game.

You didn't respond to anything I said, but OK.

Are you trolling?

You know damn well how issues with the netcode applies with THIS game. How the other issues the game has applies. If they don't what happened to twl and cal since bf2?

WHAT is your point? Why are you defending the indefensible? Are you? I frankly don't understand what your point is at all.

While it is still fun to pub the game in a casual way, the game is broken and can't be fixed. I wish they could but that tick rate issue is simply insurmountable.

Last edited:
I rather enjoy arming and disarming MCOMs. Getting my first one was a blast, and the couple of times I've managed to arm both MCOMs is always awesome. I'm still awaiting for the series to return to WW2 or VietNam though.

for anyone who is interested, i unlocked the phantom paint.
it pretty much looks almost exactly like the preview picture, reptile skin.
except that its more of an yellow and green color.
20pa5qa.jpg

akd11v.jpg

Last edited:
That looks cool. I still need to get a lot of tank kills so I'm not sure if I'll ever get. I love being a ground pounder.

20 jet kills... oh boy.. that's not gonna happen for me, I have no idea how people manage to fly planes in this game. Tried that could not get a single kill in 10 rounds neither in Air Superiority nor in regular conquest fly maps.

20 jet kills... oh boy.. that's not gonna happen for me, I have no idea how people manage to fly planes in this game. Tried that could not get a single kill in 10 rounds neither in Air Superiority nor in regular conquest fly maps.

It takes practice, but the main issue is that they don't count crashes as kills. For example, if I shoot your jet enough to make you lose control and crash into a mountain, it usually won't register as a kill. It registers as a suicide. They should extend the damage out for about 5 seconds. So if you were the last to do the most damage before they crashed, you get credit for the kill or kill assist.

I've had Air Superiority matches where I damage a ton of people, score 6k points, but have around 2 "kills".

It takes practice, but the main issue is that they don't count crashes as kills. For example, if I shoot your jet enough to make you lose control and crash into a mountain, it usually won't register as a kill. It registers as a suicide. They should extend the damage out for about 5 seconds. So if you were the last to do the most damage before they crashed, you get credit for the kill or kill assist.

I've had Air Superiority matches where I damage a ton of people, score 6k points, but have around 2 "kills".

Its all timing and positioning. Inexperienced pilots tend to just plink away at the jet they're chasing with a lot of poorly aimed shots. Better to wait, not make it obvious that you're behind him, and get into a better position to line up so that a single burst finishes him off. That's what good pilots do.

WHAT is your point? Why are you defending the indefensible? Are you? I frankly don't understand what your point is at all.

My point is that your using a game's appropriateness or adaptability for competitive play as a measure of quality is not actually a reliable method. It has nothing to do with defending BF4, and everything to do with the fact that a game can have great netcode and still be garbage.

I'm still awaiting for the series to return to WW2 or VietNam though.

The gaming industry has moved on from WW2. I don't think it'll ever be covered in the bulk it once was. That's sort of disappointing, though, because there are plenty of significant and important WW2 battles that were either never depicted, or were fictionalized in unrecognizable ways.

DICE itself is now in the near future with Battlefield and a long time ago in a galaxy far away with Battlefront. They won't be making more WW2 or Vietnam content for sure.

So is the game worth $30 for the digital deluxe edition? Origin is selling it 50% off and I'm tempted to grab. I'm bored and played to much titanfall so I need a new game lol

don't save your XP boosts. they accumulate faster than you can use them. i constantly use 25% boosts and save 50%+ for double xp weekends. these things are doled out in every battlepack.

So is the game worth $30 for the digital deluxe edition? Origin is selling it 50% off and I'm tempted to grab. I'm bored and played to much titanfall so I need a new game lol

imo yes.
the game is great.
a lot of people hate on bf4, and yes it does have its flaws but id still give it a 8/10
i have over 300 hours and its still the only game i play.

digital deluxe edition, no.
the only reason to get the deluxe edition is for china rising, but any server that has china rising also has the other dlcs. unless you play on a 24/7 china rising server.

i would just get bf4 for $24.99
or go with bf4 and premium for $72.98, if you're going to get the dlcs.

it took me a few rounds but i finished it last night. the planes was the worst part but after a few rounds they add up

it took me a few rounds but i finished it last night. the planes was the worst part but after a few rounds they add up

I cant do the planes I suck at flying and I know it which is why I keep my arse on the ground!

repost,

Here is a strategy which will keep you alive in jets. Jets in bf games have an altitude cap which is different on each map. When you try to fly higher than the altitude cap you begin to rapidly loose control of the jet and end up hanging in mid air for crucial seconds.

Learn to fly the verge of that altitude boundary, patrolling around the outer edge of the map, looking inward toward the map's center, with the aircraft banked 90 degrees so you can visually scan the entire map using mouse look. Keep your eyeballs on a swivel at all times, stay in a constant 90 degree bank. You cannot use the elevator controls while using mouse look, however, I have learned by trial and error that you can use the strafe keys to manipulate the rudder while using mouse look. So, use the rudder control to maintain that specific altitude while banked.

Your patrol route should be square like a box, and you should turn at the four imaginary "corners" of the map. I say, "turn" , but since you're flying in a constant 90 degree bank using mouse look, it's really just a quick "90 degree up elevator" in banked flight, and then right back to scanning with mouse look. This will keep you safe from being attacked from above, and it will also keep you relatively safe from the anti air. You just have to mind your weak spot, which will be narrow, and on your six. Stay outside of the map boundary so you don't show on radar.

When you see your prey, roll inverted and attack in a 90 degree dive. The moment you've confirmed your kill, or have finished your pass, pull up into an immediate 90 degree climb and get the fuck out of there. While you climb at 90 degrees use a quick mouse look to check your six, perform an aileron roll and check your six, perform another aileron roll and check your six one last time. By that time you'll need to break out of that 90 degree climb and go back to vulching.

Most of the aircraft seem to turn best at around 310 knots, give or take. I suggest remapping the space bar to "up elevator" and utilizing it during turning fights, and to recover from dives.

Most BF pilots seem to spook at the first sign of a radar lock tone, but don't seem to react much to a peppering with cannons. I suggest that you dive on your prey "guns hot" so as not to spook them until it's too late for them to react, pepper them, then fire missiles for the kill just before you break into your defensive 90 degree climb out.

If possible, remap the map key command to one of your mouse buttons or some other key you can instinctively hit. In between scanning the map for targets and watching your six, flip the map open for quick assessments of the enemy team's movements.

I really dislike how the game will automagically try and put us into maps we haven't paid for :(

And then tell us to pay and not put us into a match.

I really dislike how the game will automagically try and put us into maps we haven't paid for :(

And then tell us to pay and not put us into a match.

Are you using the quick match or server browser?

If you use the server browser you can specify only the base maps, only the expansions (if any) that you have.

Usually in the server name or in the server page summary itself it will specify if it's 24/7, their upcoming map rotation and such.

Find a server that only rotates the maps you have and then add it to your favorites.

The main issue, you will join a server running your map, all is fine and dandy till the server goes to the next (already chosen long ago) map. It's not the servers job itself to keep track of the maps you have.

If you're going to buy it, check eBay. There's tons of new codes on there and they usually go for around $22. They're from the AMD bundles and already counted as a "sale" for DICE/EA. So you also get to help not pad their sales figures :)

If you're going to buy it, check eBay. There's tons of new codes on there and they usually go for around $22. They're from the AMD bundles and already counted as a "sale" for DICE/EA. So you also get to help not pad their sales figures :)

I've sold something like 5+ BF4 codes here for $15 dollars in the past.

A search in the FS/FT section might be useful.

Are you using the quick match or server browser?

If you use the server browser you can specify only the base maps, only the expansions (if any) that you have.

Usually in the server name or in the server page summary itself it will specify if it's 24/7, their upcoming map rotation and such.

Find a server that only rotates the maps you have and then add it to your favorites.

The main issue, you will join a server running your map, all is fine and dandy till the server goes to the next (already chosen long ago) map. It's not the servers job itself to keep track of the maps you have.

Was using the quickmatch.

Its obviously a tactic to get me to buy the map packs.......but I have a hard time justifying it for the price.

Its all timing and positioning. Inexperienced pilots tend to just plink away at the jet they're chasing with a lot of poorly aimed shots. Better to wait, not make it obvious that you're behind him, and get into a better position to line up so that a single burst finishes him off. That's what good pilots do.

It's actually much more difficult for me to shoot a plane when I am directly behind it. I actually plink at them with small bursts to get them to turn and break. Once they turn the aircraft they present a huge target which is much easier to hit.

Then again, I use a joystick to fly. It makes it easier to maneuver, but the accuracy isn't as good as a mouse and keyboard. I see the enemy's flight path, point the nose ahead of it along the same line and let the enemy fly into my bullets.

Back