Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

You can force Origin to launch the 64bit version by right clicking the game and going to properties [I think]. I'm not sure which version it picks from default, so I force it.

You can check the Task Manager while the game is running. It will append "*32" to the end of the executable in the Processes tab if it is running the 32-bit version.

thanks guys!

I have come to the conclusion that this game needs a chart similar to this:

548978_466246000129775_1425573982_n_zps1cf4dd3f.png

Because at this point, it just doesn't really matter if this game will be fix (which it won't).

Lol....I could have hours of fun with that chart...

This is a terrible excuse but...the ghost of Hitler...texted racial slurs from my phone....hahaha

Blimey! Sorry I'm late guv'nha...a Hasidic Jew...crapped in my gas tank.

I couldn't help it...the ghost of Margaret Thatcher...came on me...hahahaha

I think I'm having too much fun with this....I wish I could make a giant poster out of it and put it in my office....I think I'd get fired though. :D

I seem to max out bf4.exe @ 2GB. That seems odd to me since they're using a 64 bit binary. Anyone have any ideas?

I seem to max out bf4.exe @ 2GB. That seems odd to me since they're using a 64 bit binary. Anyone have any ideas?

Well what are your settings, resolution and server sized/game type? It should use more than that usually but if you are running low settings and resolution in a 32 man....

Does it run ok or does it stutter? At those settings it should use 4-7 GB with the average around 5. SO yeah, I wonder if you are seeing vram usage?

Re: Perfect Landing assignment

You need to land on the tower FIRST and then get the 10 kill streak. Why that isn't specified.... it's DICE.

That's a tough one to get.

Best way to do it... take the transport chopper early on in the round and bail, or wait for your commander to get the gunship and bail from it. It's much easier done on Firestorm than Caspian border due to the tower design and the fact the one in Firestorm doesn't blow up. Once you have done that, get your choice of vehicle and play conservatively for rest of round. If you get a chance to drive the MAA, that might be your best bet.

I pulled it off while playing US team on Firestorm. We got the gunship early on and I bailed from it as their MAA shot it down quickly. That gave me plenty of time and altitude to time it right. Landed on top of tower, climbed down 1 level away from the firery death smokestack, then placed a spawn beacon for my squad. I died soon after by getting sniped. When I respawned, I waited for the Attack chopper. I got in as the gunner, and was fortunate to have an amazing pilot *and* on the US side of the map. The US side of the map has elevation advantage, the huge mountain, couple small buildings, and a couple cranes to hide behind. My pilot stayed on our side of the map to avoid their MAA and tanks. We just picked targets off with TV missiles and rockets as they got onto the main road. I also picked off a couple infantry trying to get to the flag nearest the base. I ended up with a 20 kill streak instead of the requisite 10 before one of their jet pilots rammed us out of spite.

Does it run ok or does it stutter? At those settings it should use 4-7 GB with the average around 5. SO yeah, I wonder if you are seeing vram usage?

I'm a terrible person to ask this because no game will ever run the way I want it to. I notice everything.

But ultimately, I would say I am pretty happy w/ the performance. The biggest issue is w/ explosions or lots of levolution when my poor 4670K takes a beating.

When you say 4-7, are you talking about what you see in task manager for TOTAL SYSTEM RAM USAGE or just the single process bf4.exe?

Cause if they are recommending 8 GB for a 64 bit OS and the game itself is using 7 GB...well...that doesn't leave a whole lot left for anything else. Basically, this would mean a modern Windows 7 or Windows 8 system would be using 1 GB for everything. I don't optimize much, but I have never seen 1 GB.

I'd like to know how and why after all this time BF4 has been out, why the fuck voice communication doesn't work for the groups you make in Battlelog?

I have a friend I play with and we make a group/party/whatever you want to call it. Follow each other to games and what not. In BF3 we could fire up a voice session right there in the box. Now? nothing.

We literally have to fire up steam, and start a voice chat session there just to get things rolling along (in game voip sucks and has to be shared with entire squad)

You'd think in all this time someone would figure they could just do a copy/paste on the section of code from BF3 and get this running pretty quick.

^ except that too many people bitched during BF3 about the browser based VOIP being a half measure and demanding VOIP inside the game. So they listened.

You're right though, the ingame VOIP is horrendous. If youre serious about playing you should find a teamspeak server.

There is plenty of mumble servers that are always empty. Just bum off of one of them.

How is BF4 in Windows 7 now? Does it still stutter play worse than Windows 8, even after all the new drivers and patches etc...

How is BF4 in Windows 7 now? Does it still stutter play worse than Windows 8, even after all the new drivers and patches etc...

The only issue between Windows 7 and Windows 8 on this game was the CPU core parking. Unparking your cores in Win7 brought it on par performance and stability wise as Win8. Win8 manages CPU cores better than Win7. The core parking was never really an issue with any other game or program before now, so it seems the source of the problem had more to do with BF4 than the OS.

The core parking issue under Win7 was more prevalent on Intel i5's and i7's than it was on AMD chips. The reason for that was that MS already issued a windows update to address core parking on the AMD FX chips to help some of the performance issue's. If you recall the performance discrepancy people noticed with the AMD FX chips on Win8 versus Win7 a year ago, this was why.

Other than those issues, the only other ones not related to the game code itself had to do with video card drivers. DICE eventually put in a nag notice about older drivers if yours didn't meet a certain version.

That being said, all these issues were rectified within the first month of game release. We are now 5 months in. Every other stability issue left has to do with DICE and their terrible programming.

^ except that too many people bitched during BF3 about the browser based VOIP being a half measure and demanding VOIP inside the game. So they listened.

You're right though, the ingame VOIP is horrendous. If youre serious about playing you should find a teamspeak server.

It's good for meeting new people though. Also, quite a few folks will squad up ideal like if they hear someone talking.

I mean, shit like, "Ok Mr. Rogers, you're getting revived in 3...2...1." Helps them prepare for battle.

Mantle fixes.
MANTLE
-Mantle now requires Catalyst 14.2 or later drivers.
-Fixed multiple crashes.
-Fixed memory leak when switching between windowed and full screen.
-Optimized memory management which can reduce amount of performance stalls when video memory is overcommitted.
-Improved performance when vsync is used.
-Fixed bug with offset mouse cursor when using full screen and horizontal windows taskbar.
-Multi-GPU: Added initial support for frame pacing for smoother frame rate in full screen mode, enabled by default. Can be disabled in console / User.cfg with “RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 0”.
-Multi-GPU: Fixed black screen when starting on machine with multiple GPUs where the weakest GPU has the display attached to it.
-Multi-GPU: Fixed intermittent crash when switching between windowed and full screen mode when having multiple GPUs

Naval Strike is out?!?

So that was what was downloading this morning before work. Origin had an error message about a timeout but was still downloading. I will have to check it out when I get home tonight.

Awww they didn't want to release on April fools day :(
Damn right. It would be a PR disaster if there are any additional bugs found on top of the ones they supposedly fixed. They have apparently got the message they can't just release patches/DLC's that fix 10 bugs but introduce 20 brand new ones and re-introduce 5 other bugs they already fixed. We can only hope they continue to follow through on this goal.

Next they need to work on timing. If something is going to be delayed, they should notify several days/weeks in advance, not hours before.

Last edited:
I took a vacation last week for this new Naval Strike dlc and it got delayed. Now its coming out and I can't play it until the weekend damnit.:(

I took a vacation last week for this new Naval Strike dlc and it got delayed. Now its coming out and I can't play it until the weekend damnit.:(

My advice: don't plan your life around videogames.

i have played 3-4 rounds now.... it is enjoyable... i am not a netcode whiner anyways but it seems good to me. i enjoy the new map styles

This is not a very fun pack to be honest.

90% of the playerbase is retarded and cannot figure out what to do, or even how to get in the boat. I've finished several games where people SWAM ALL THE WAY TO THE CARRIER.

The paradrop is fucking dumb. It's gigantically easier for you to spawn on the enemies carrier than it is for them to get up top and even make an attempt to stop you. At the second point the attackers spawn in the ship itself. You can't repel a carrier rush because the attackers literally spawn on the thing, 95% of wins are going to be whoever breaches first. Don't expect exciting comebacks like 2142.

It's fucking glitchy. There's like a foot and a half of invisible metal at the breach entrance. Expect to waste entire mags on people who are in plain sight 2 feet in front of you but are completely blocked by bullet proof air. The upside is they can't hit you either. It's one of the hottest combat areas on the map, yet somehow DICE doesn't catch this.

This is not a very fun pack to be honest.

90% of the playerbase is retarded and cannot figure out what to do, or even how to get in the boat. I've finished several games where people SWAM ALL THE WAY TO THE CARRIER.

The paradrop is fucking dumb. It's gigantically easier for you to spawn on the enemies carrier than it is for them to get up top and even make an attempt to stop you. At the second point the attackers spawn in the ship itself. You can't repel a carrier rush because the attackers literally spawn on the thing, 95% of wins are going to be whoever breaches first. Don't expect exciting comebacks like 2142.

It's fucking glitchy. There's like a foot and a half of invisible metal at the breach entrance. Expect to waste entire mags on people who are in plain sight 2 feet in front of you but are completely blocked by bullet proof air. The upside is they can't hit you either. It's one of the hottest combat areas on the map, yet somehow DICE doesn't catch this.

Well yeah, it is par for the course with this game. sigh

What could have been so epic......

thank god for 65Mbps internet... for some reason when I went to apply the naval strike update and my SSD was too full, it then decided it had to redownload the entire game.

65.png

I have been hearing a lot of good news about Naval Strike. For me personally, it is running smooth.

I started searching for 'easter eggs' on the new maps and came across this in one of the med labs; thought the symptoms were funny.

qZobPOw.jpg

qZobPOw

Carrier Assault is fun shit. They just need to get rid of the parachute spawn points at the carriers. That was a terrible decision.

Back