Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

Does anyone have any noob friendly tips? I know to do all the squad stuff but any gun setups or modes I should be focusing on to level up faster? At the moment I'm level 2 and have been getting murdered by higher level people with shotguns. I can't even equip a shotgun yet and I almost get spawn camped every time. I'm running all the settings on High but I'm thinking of turning them down because it's it almost as if the graphics are too good and I can't notice anyone hiding lol >.<.

It's not very noob friendly at all compared to Titanfall, I have BF experience from 1942,2, 2142 and BC2. I sat out BF3.

Use the defensive specialization to negate some of the insta-death spewing from shotguns, and try to stay at medium engagement distances (outside of 20 meters).

You can also rack up points by playing the objective in conquest.

Or find a Metro server that allows explosives and just spam medkits and ammo packs. You'll rank up very quickly.

Does anyone have any noob friendly tips? I know to do all the squad stuff but any gun setups or modes I should be focusing on to level up faster? At the moment I'm level 2 and have been getting murdered by higher level people with shotguns. I can't even equip a shotgun yet and I almost get spawn camped every time. I'm running all the settings on High but I'm thinking of turning them down because it's it almost as if the graphics are too good and I can't notice anyone hiding lol >.<.

It's not very noob friendly at all compared to Titanfall, I have BF experience from 1942,2, 2142 and BC2. I sat out BF3.

Yeah, they sort of make the newer players into cannon fodder. You can level up quickly by playing in servers with few players. It becomes a ring around the rosey as you chase each other capping points.

Fun fact. If you cap a point (at least in BF3 it worked this way) in a vehicle, the vehicle gets the points as well for unlocks. Some ranked servers even have a 0 player start, so you could theoretically play by yourself getting points. Some call it cheap, but it's not like it's any different then playing a meat grinder server.

For guns/kills - do TDM or OpLocker with no explosives allowed and high ticket counts.

I agree with the not being noob friendly. There is just something different with BF4 that I am not getting. Like source I can take a 6 month break and still not get murdered. In BF4 im lucky to get 4 kills. Its kind of depressing. Someone was telling me it has to do with how they fire the bullets in BF4 and that I will just get use to it.

I did play BF3 and dont remember it being this hard.

With the stuttering mostly gone for me, it has now been replaced with massive amounts of rubberbanding and crashes from mantle. Good game DICE/EA.

To everyone still having crashing issues:

Have you re-installed the game or initiated a repair install from Origin?

What video card brand and driver version are you using?

With the last patch a couple weeks ago I started getting crashes to desktop again. At that point the game had been completely stable for me for several months under Win7 and for a couple weeks under Win8.1. After that patch was issued, a few days ago Nvidia updated their drivers again...sure enough the crashing went away again.

since the last patch i went from never crashing to crashing every game or so now.

I just installed the latest patch tonight. Can no longer play.

It either crashes to desktop upon map load and says "BF4 stopped working", or it loads into a map, but no menus, and the view of the map is from below ground. Repair install did nothing, updating punkbuster did nothing. Going to reinstall it now, there goes the night.:rolleyes:

If anyone is getting a black screen after loading the initial server screens here is a workaround:

Find your user.cfg file in \origin games\battlefield 4 and delete the "UI.DrawEnable 1" line. Save the file, launch BF4 and it should load. It worked for me. Thanks, interwebs!

See ^^

Side note - I can now o/c my 2500k to 4.4 instead of 4.2 without crashing. Yippee.

I just installed the latest patch tonight. Can no longer play.

It either crashes to desktop upon map load and says "BF4 stopped working", or it loads into a map, but no menus, and the view of the map is from below ground. Repair install did nothing, updating punkbuster did nothing. Going to reinstall it now, there goes the night.:rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat so far tonight. Previously never had any issues except occasional loss of sound.

I love the game but I can't say anything positive any longer. Jesus H Christ, get your heads out of your collective asses, DICE. I have to edit my config file every time I launch!

I don't think I'm gonna be buying Second Assault.... I really wanted to back this no matter what. I skipped BF3, but played BF2 to death. But f*** this. Seriously.

Such a waste of money.

i find these maps to be a lot better than china rising.

caspian is so much fun.

all of the people I play with have been able to load in and nobody crashed during the 3 hours I played last night. we all got rubberbanding at the same time which indicates server side issues. for the majority of the time, the game ran well enough. using mantle, I still got some massive fps drops. that may have been server side though. we had fun but then we usually do when there are 10 of us playing.

I played a little this morning. Game runs good, plays smooth, but looking at my FPS, its all over the palce with Mantel. 2560x1600 on Ultra and my frames run 107 down to 63 and everything in between. I guess I should be happy the stutter is gone and its very smooth.

i find these maps to be a lot better than china rising.

caspian is so much fun.

I don't know if I'd call them better. Altai Range and Dragon Pass have grown on me, while Guilin Peaks and Silk Road don't do anything wrong per se.

There's nothing fun about Metro; Gulf of Oman is the same as ever, which is a good thing; Caspian is better than it was in BF3; and Firestorm is still one of my most hated maps of all time. The unlocked weapons are nice, at least.

I have some high hopes for Naval Strike.

I don't know if I'd call them better. Altai Range and Dragon Pass have grown on me, while Guilin Peaks and Silk Road don't do anything wrong per se.

There's nothing fun about Metro; Gulf of Oman is the same as ever, which is a good thing; Caspian is better than it was in BF3; and Firestorm is still one of my most hated maps of all time. The unlocked weapons are nice, at least.

I have some high hopes for Naval Strike.

i dont really like any of the china maps, usually just leave a server when they come up lol

I was crashing EVERY TIME right after launching the game after the Feb 25 patch.
This fix that I found online worked for me, I played a bunch of different games after fixing it...

Delete the &#8220;UI.DrawEnable 1&#8221; line from the user.cfg file

i dont really like any of the china maps, usually just leave a server when they come up lol

I thought you'd be fanatical about Altai Range and its wide open SRAW friendly fields. I have a lot of fun standing at A and launching SRAWs at campers at B, C, and especially D.

Can someone recommend a loadout/play style for someone who's having trouble staying alive more than 15 seconds at a time?

The Metro (2nd assault dlc) 2014 version is insane everyone does the same thing uses grenade launchers goes up either the escalator or elevator waits for the door to open haha.Just crazy with a big group....not very fun unless you are really skilled I suppose even then.

I was pretty spaced out after playing it for a good 1/2 hour...

Metro is only good for rapid leveling. Dump medkits or ammo boxes near a choke point and fire up your 200% XP boost.

The Metro (2nd assault dlc) 2014 version is insane everyone does the same thing uses grenade launchers goes up either the escalator or elevator waits for the door to open haha.Just crazy with a big group....not very fun unless you are really skilled I suppose even then.

I was pretty spaced out after playing it for a good 1/2 hour...

I actually had more fun with the 2014 versions of the maps than I did in BF3, I really like the changes and additions that were made to these maps, and with buildings being slightly more destructible, really helps.

So, you know that console command that Dice added to specify the number of cores and job threads, then told everyone not to use it because it was broken?

Apparently, one of the last patches seems to have enabled it. /Not home to try it now.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493859078655/2/

edit:

Tried the cfg tweak and went from 12 cores 4 threads to 12 cores 5 threads in render screen info. (I'm running Mantle with a 3930k (hex core))

Last edited:
Can someone recommend a loadout/play style for someone who's having trouble staying alive more than 15 seconds at a time?

You can't treat Battlefield like Quake or even Call of Duty. Threats come from everywhere, even from out of view. You can't keep your blinders on so to speak. Put yourself in the environment. Surround sound speakers (5.1) or headphones set to emulate surround sound can help to envelope you and get you in right mindset.

*Disclaimer* The tips I provide below are general tips, especially for those players struggling. When you are experienced enough and can stay alive for several minutes at a time, then you are good enough and can play however the hell you want and throw my advice right out the window. If you can't make these things second nature, then you need to consider a different game.

Playstyle tips:
1. Learn the maps. Every inch of them. You begin to learn where enemies are most likely to come from. Sure, a threat could still come out of nowhere like a mortar, missile, chopper, gunship. However, the minimap should show you most threats, and sometimes you do get radio alerts like "enemy gunship online".
2. Don't play hardcore mode. Its not for people in your situation. Your player gets less hit points and there is no minimap.
3. Realize that everytime you fire a weapon, you show up on everyone else's minimap. The only exception is when you attach a suppressor to your rifle or pistol.
4. Act like a rat, run from cover to cover. Don't stand out in the open too long. Sprint everywhere you go. Walking should only be used when caution is needed.
5. Don't just run head long around corners or pass intersections in hallways/doorways/pathways/between buildings without looking first. Treat each one like crossing the street and look both ways. Sprint to intersection, aim down sight of gun, first look down lane that is likelier to have enemies, quickly glance other direction if there is one, then sprint through intersection.
6. Close range face to face combat: If you see a guy running toward you, go ahead and aim down sights and take him out. If he starts firing and you are close enough (less than 30 feet/10 meters), you can side strafe or crouch while walking and aiming down sights and it won't throw your aim off too much.
7. Try to avoid #6 as much as possible. It's impossible to avoid completely, but you can limit the number of times you put yourself in that situation. Learn ways around and flank them. If you are always going headfirst into trouble, you are even more likely to get killed and you are going to get into even more situations where you may feel you were unfairly killed due to lag or game bug.
8. Avoid firing from the hip as much as possible. The only time you will ever hit anything is if they are less than 10 feet/3 meters away. You should always be aiming down sights first.
9. Avoid being the guy in front of the pack. Guy in front always gets shot first. Let more experienced players be in front.
10. Stick with your squad. Don't stand too close to other squadmates or you will get hit with the same bullets and grenades they do. If your squad is assaulting an objective, go back to #7. Try helping your squad a little more by going around and giving the enemy a distraction or shooting them from the side/behind.
11. When running anywhere, don't stare blindly in front of you where your crosshairs are pointing. You can continue running in a general direction while looking around with your mouse. While running forward, glance left and right at about 45 degrees each direction every few seconds. This will help with your lack of peripheral vision if you don't have a multi-monitor setup.
12. In relation to peripheral vision, make sure your field of view is set correctly in the menu. Look up an online FOV calculator if necessary so you can select the correct setting.

As far as weapons...play to their strengths. Other than shotguns, the general rule of thumb is the faster firing the weapon the shorter the range.
1. Assault rifles and Carbines, play as normal. They are good for any situation. Carbines are slightly less accurate than assault rifles in most cases.
2. For shotguns, you really need to follow rules #4 and #7 above and play a game I like to call "Peek-a-boom". You want to be the guy that goes "SURPRISE!" Shotguns without slugs give reliable hits less than 20 feet/6 meters.
3. For DMR's, you don't charge in, you stay back 50 feet/16 meters, pick a lane and defend it. By "lane" I mean try to limit the amount of area you have to cover with your gun. You can do this by adding distance between you and the objective. With a DMR, you can't just expect to pop a guy at mid range, then whip around 90 degrees and pop another guy. A good combo for DMR's is to use a mid range scope like 3-4x magnification, then equip the canted ironsights for the occasional close encounter. Alternatively you can use a short range red dot scope, then use the 2x magnifier for longer ranges. To switch to canted ironsights or 2x magnifier, type "T" on your keyboard.
4. LMG's you can be the guy at the front of the pack or hang back, but keep in mind accuracy is not their strong suit. Spray and Pray comes with the territory here, but LMG are best used as the decoy guy while getting a few kills of their own. You keep their heads down while making the most noise. You don't want to get too far from your squad unless you have a suppressor on that gun. Expect to be the guy shot at the most if you use an LMG.
6. PDW's are an odd bunch. If you equip one, you are limiting your combat to close quarters with that weapon. They have a range that is better than shotguns without slugs, but not quite as good as Assault rifles or Carbines. You will want to augment the rest of your loadout to give you an edge for longer range combat. For example, combine a PDW with a good all round single shot pistol (P226, M9, or M1911) and an unguided missile launcher like an RPG/SMAW for longer range targets. If you are going to be out in the open more often, you will want a Carbine instead of a PDW.
7. Sniper Rifles are self explanatory. The only thing I can recommend is not stay in one place for too long. Killcam's, rifle noise, bullet trails, and scope lens glare will give away your position and make you a sitting duck. Just like PDW's, you will want to augment the rest of your loadout to compensate. You will want to equip a good fast firing pistol be it semi-auto or full auto for close range encounters. If you can't no scope shoot a sniper rifle, then just equip your pistol for anything closer than 30 feet/9 meters. The time to aim down sights on a sniper rifle is much longer than other weapons, and it will get you killed when you are in close quarters.
8. Pistols shouldn't be relied on as your primary. You can use it as your primary, but it isn't recommended. There are pistols for every situation. Avoid the REX and Magnum unless your aim is good and you can be patient. They are devastating, but slow firing.
9. Play around with the weapon comparisons and accuracy charts at symthic.com. They will help you decide which attachment is best for each gun.

Last edited:
I actually had more fun with the 2014 versions of the maps than I did in BF3, I really like the changes and additions that were made to these maps, and with buildings being slightly more destructible, really helps.

I find I only feel that way in certain modes. I loved Rush in Metro in 2013, but hate it in BF4 Metro. It is an even bigger camp and snipefest. Domination isn't bad, but it is way too spread out on all of the Second Assault maps imho. I rarely play CQ or CQ large so I haven't tried those. I still need to get in a CTF game. I hated obliteration on Metro 2014 also for the same reasons I hate Rush on that map.

Metro isn't half bad in conquest with no explosives. I wouldn't want a steady diet of it, but it's way better that way with actual flanking going on.

I dig the new tunnel under the tower on Caspian, the one that exits in the river. And, you can swim under the section of the great wall that the river passes under. I don't remember if the old map was like that.

You can't treat Battlefield like Quake or even Call of Duty. Threats come from everywhere, even from out of view. You can't keep your blinders on so to speak. Put yourself in the environment. Surround sound speakers (5.1) or headphones set to emulate surround sound can help to envelope you and get you in right mindset.

*Disclaimer* The tips I provide below are general tips, especially for those players struggling. When you are experienced enough and can stay alive for several minutes at a time, then you are good enough and can play however the hell you want and throw my advice right out the window. If you can't make these things second nature, then you need to consider a different game.

Playstyle tips:
1. Learn the maps. Every inch of them. You begin to learn where enemies are most likely to come from. Sure, a threat could still come out of nowhere like a mortar, missile, chopper, gunship. However, the minimap should show you most threats, and sometimes you do get radio alerts like "enemy gunship online".
2. Don't play hardcore mode. Its not for people in your situation. Your player gets less hit points and there is no minimap.
3. Realize that everytime you fire a weapon, you show up on everyone else's minimap. The only exception is when you attach a suppressor to your rifle or pistol.
4. Act like a rat, run from cover to cover. Don't stand out in the open too long. Sprint everywhere you go. Walking should only be used when caution is needed.
5. Don't just run head long around corners or pass intersections in hallways/doorways/pathways/between buildings without looking first. Treat each one like crossing the street and look both ways. Sprint to intersection, aim down sight of gun, first look down lane that is likelier to have enemies, quickly glance other direction if there is one, then sprint through intersection.
6. Close range face to face combat: If you see a guy running toward you, go ahead and aim down sights and take him out. If he starts firing and you are close enough (less than 30 feet/10 meters), you can side strafe or crouch while walking and aiming down sights and it won't throw your aim off too much.
7. Try to avoid #6 as much as possible. It's impossible to avoid completely, but you can limit the number of times you put yourself in that situation. Learn ways around and flank them. If you are always going headfirst into trouble, you are even more likely to get killed and you are going to get into even more situations where you may feel you were unfairly killed due to lag or game bug.
8. Avoid firing from the hip as much as possible. The only time you will ever hit anything is if they are less than 10 feet/3 meters away. You should always be aiming down sights first.
9. Avoid being the guy in front of the pack. Guy in front always gets shot first. Let more experienced players be in front.
10. Stick with your squad. Don't stand too close to other squadmates or you will get hit with the same bullets and grenades they do. If your squad is assaulting an objective, go back to #7. Try helping your squad a little more by going around and giving the enemy a distraction or shooting them from the side/behind.
11. When running anywhere, don't stare blindly in front of you where your crosshairs are pointing. You can continue running in a general direction while looking around with your mouse. While running forward, glance left and right at about 45 degrees each direction every few seconds. This will help with your lack of peripheral vision if you don't have a multi-monitor setup.
12. In relation to peripheral vision, make sure your field of view is set correctly in the menu. Look up an online FOV calculator if necessary so you can select the correct setting.

As far as weapons...play to their strengths. Other than shotguns, the general rule of thumb is the faster firing the weapon the shorter the range.
1. Assault rifles and Carbines, play as normal. They are good for any situation. Carbines are slightly less accurate than assault rifles in most cases.
2. For shotguns, you really need to follow rules #4 and #7 above and play a game I like to call "Peek-a-boom". You want to be the guy that goes "SURPRISE!" Shotguns without slugs give reliable hits less than 20 feet/6 meters.
3. For DMR's, you don't charge in, you stay back 50 feet/16 meters, pick a lane and defend it. By "lane" I mean try to limit the amount of area you have to cover with your gun. You can do this by adding distance between you and the objective. With a DMR, you can't just expect to pop a guy at mid range, then whip around 90 degrees and pop another guy. A good combo for DMR's is to use a mid range scope like 3-4x magnification, then equip the canted ironsights for the occasional close encounter. Alternatively you can use a short range red dot scope, then use the 2x magnifier for longer ranges. To switch to canted ironsights or 2x magnifier, type "T" on your keyboard.
4. LMG's you can be the guy at the front of the pack or hang back, but keep in mind accuracy is not their strong suit. Spray and Pray comes with the territory here, but LMG are best used as the decoy guy while getting a few kills of their own. You keep their heads down while making the most noise. You don't want to get too far from your squad unless you have a suppressor on that gun. Expect to be the guy shot at the most if you use an LMG.
6. PDW's are an odd bunch. If you equip one, you are limiting your combat to close quarters with that weapon. They have a range that is better than shotguns without slugs, but not quite as good as Assault rifles or Carbines. You will want to augment the rest of your loadout to give you an edge for longer range combat. For example, combine a PDW with a good all round single shot pistol (P226, M9, or M1911) and an unguided missile launcher like an RPG/SMAW for longer range targets. If you are going to be out in the open more often, you will want a Carbine instead of a PDW.
7. Sniper Rifles are self explanatory. The only thing I can recommend is not stay in one place for too long. Killcam's, rifle noise, bullet trails, and scope lens glare will give away your position and make you a sitting duck. Just like PDW's, you will want to augment the rest of your loadout to compensate. You will want to equip a good fast firing pistol be it semi-auto or full auto for close range encounters. If you can't no scope shoot a sniper rifle, then just equip your pistol for anything closer than 30 feet/9 meters. The time to aim down sights on a sniper rifle is much longer than other weapons, and it will get you killed when you are in close quarters.
8. Pistols shouldn't be relied on as your primary. You can use it as your primary, but it isn't recommended. There are pistols for every situation. Avoid the REX and Magnum unless your aim is good and you can be patient. They are devastating, but slow firing.
9. Play around with the weapon comparisons and accuracy charts at symthic.com. They will help you decide which attachment is best for each gun.

Solid post, props for supporting the community.

Might I suggest a teamwork oriented server?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf...com-Teamwork-Maturity-VoIP-SniperRifle-Limit/

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/

Join a squad, use the in game squad VOIP, play as a medic, stay on your squad's heels, and keep them healthy and alive. If karma rocks, they'll keep you alive in turn. In the mean time, you get to watch them operate, and gain some points in the process.

Solid post, props for supporting the community.

This is why I truly love the battlefield series. Tactics and strategies are key to play. The game gives you so many ways to play. You can be the absolute shittiest player in other FPS games but be a GOD in battlefield once you find a playstyle that fits you. The biggest problem for noob players is the learning curve while finding that playstyle before you burn out by other player's dominating you all the time. And if Noobs can't make the transition to becoming an average/veteran player, then all you are left with is the Elites, and the community dies from lack of growth.

"Carrier Assault game mode which is a re-imagining of the classic Battlefield 2142 Titan Mode"

Y E S

ok, been playing since launch with next to no issues. Last night did a fresh install of 8.1, using all the same drivers I was using before. I cannot get the game to run, either I get a black screen or BF4 has stopped working bullshit. I updated PB and everything. WTF was there an update today?

Guide on how 2 own @ this game:

1. THROW AMMO / MEDKITS EVERYWHERE, REVIVE WHEN IT'S SAFE. Are you not doing anything particularly important like making other people dead? Throw a kit down, it helps you, it helps everyone, just do it. If you're stopping to peak a corner or look down a hall, throw something down. It's free points and free health / ammo during the fight. You'll get THOUSANDS of points more per round just for tossing them near busy areas. Don't get yourself killed just for one dope who tempted fate too hard and pushed too deep when it was obviously suicide, but do revive the shit out of everyone getting their ass reamed near a bottleneck or if you can safely do it during a fight.

2. SPOT EVERYTHING. It's free points, and helps you and everyone on your team. You get magic horse shit triangles through smoke and dust, and if you lose line of sight, they're still on your minimap for a bit so you can tell what they're doing. Q everything - Q on people, vehicles, mines, and where you even suspect points of interest of being.

3. PAY ATTENTION TO THE MINIMAP and LISTEN. Not much more to it. Don't be oblivious. If you just killed someone and you hear some idiot scream MAN DOWN then that's about as good a hint as you'll ever get that there's more people.

4. When in doubt, BURST / TAP FIRE. Nearly everything is at least reasonably accurate, and if they're not on your nuts then you'll probably be better off not mag dumping like a dope. Yes, even LMG's, burst / tap at people far away. And know that you have to lead targets at range, bullets are not instant, they have a travel time.

congrats you're better than most people now.

Back