Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

*moved from 14.1 thread

I see some people around here pushing huge resolutions AND MSAA. So here's a post I made in a different thread, comparing the following:

BF4's MSAA 4x,

BF4's highest setting for "Post Process" AA (it's FXAA) + a sharpness boost from SweetFX injector

SMAA 1x, injected by SweetFX. (SMAA 2x or better must be built into the game engine. You can see it in Crysis 3).

Note that both FXAA and SMAA do an overall better job with the image.
Note the difference in framerate and VRAM usage, via my Afterburner overlay.

Examples I just made the other day:

All images are 1080p with the following setttings (these are my everyday MP play settings):
ScreenshotWin32-0002.png

you can click on these images to make them larger, but it is still not the full size. I recommend using the download button at the top of each page:

no AA
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5l2m9b7d3b54xn/BF4noeffect.jpg

4xMSAA via the in game settings
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yok1h9yyknlmaje/BF4ingameMSAA4x.jpg

FXAA "high" via the in game settings + a sharpness boost from SweetFX
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqbf5f9enx8q6ph/BF4ingameFXAAultra_sharpSWTFX.jpg

SMAA via SweetFX. no sharpness boost:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9vju0afw9v3f69/BF4swtfxSMAAultra.jpg

I personally use SMAA in BF4, with a boost to color saturation (via SweetFX "vibrance" shader) because BF4 is pretty desaturated.

Here is the current version of SweetFX at version 1.5.1
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=381912

I'm experiencing a bug where 1.5.1 does not work unless SMAA is always one. If I try to use other effects without SMAA, the screen ends up really dark. 1.4 didn't have that issue for me. So if you experience it, try 1.4

The main version of SweetFX does not yet support 64-bit. You can use it with BF4 in 32-bit mode or if you use Radeonpro, you can apply SweetFX to 64bit games. A 64-bit version of sweetfx is being worked on and will hopefully be out in a couple of months.

If you run BF4 in 64-bit, you can use this version of SweetFX that does support 64 bit and works in BF4 (I use it):
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528

That is a slightly older work in progress version of SweetFX (I think based on version 1.4) that was developed with permission by someone that isn't part of the main SweetFX development. That person has since dug into school or something and ceased work on their 64-bit version. Leaving us with that in the mean time. It also supports FXAA in DX10 and 11. The main version of SweetFX added FXAA, but it currently only supports it in DX9.

I was getting sound loop freeze ups within 2-3 minutes into the game, tried it nonstop over 6 times to make sure.

I tried all kinds of crap to make it work until I went to bios and enabled HT, game has been working fine ever since.

I keep HT turned off in BF4, just in case someone asks me why I didn't have it on.

I'm willing to bet the reboot you had to do had more to do with the fix than HT. I refuse to believe HT had any sort of part in fixing an audio issue. Just doesn't make sense. Your audio driver probably just needed a kick in the pants.

i got my 3rd parachuting down SRAW little bird kill on paracel storm last night. :)

Omg. Upgraded to an SSD and a GTX760 4GB. Running 100fps at high settings versus 50fps medium settings on my GTX560ti 2GB. Replaced my logitech G500 with a G500s because I suspected my mouse button was wearing out. It's almost a completely different game for me.

Played again last night. Took a break for about a month. First game was laggy?/stuttery. Once the next map loaded up, it was for the most part, playable. Not sure what happened there. Still shooting RPG's at choppers, still getting hits. The choppers keep on flying. Only difference with BF4, from 3, is that I will usually get a kill now.

I'm not sure if the 14.1 drivers caused the initial stuttering, or if it was the latest update. Next time I will make sure to restart after installing updates.

What is everyone's GPU usage? My GTX 770 is between 50-80%. I'm using 334.67 drivers.

SRAW Terror 11, + World First Shanghai Loop at 2min. Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Theje2eC7M4

Some SRAW kills from last night, and possibly the worlds first Shanghai Loop at the 2 minute mark have never seen it done before. Also has my 3rd parachute SRAW kill on a little bird in Paracel Storm.

Your video is blocked in my country on copyright grounds.

in canada? they seem to be a bit strict on youtube about copyrighted music in videos, they work fine in the US

i think one of my other videos is blocked in canada too.

there are firefox and chrome proxy add-on's that you can use to get around those blocks

Edit-

since porter couldnt see the other video i jumped in a server and got a couple more of the loop kills. going to call them the Shanghai Roofie also had a couple misc. sraw kills

2nd, 3rd and spawn beacon kills are the roofie kills

The Shanghai Roofie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lBG3cu1w2Y

if this one has copyright issue in your country let me know and ill just upload one without music.

Last edited:
Has anyone unlocked all the DMRs yet? I still can't decide which one I like best. The stats are kind of tough to determine which one is "the best" for me. I've been using the RFB and it appears as though it's bullet hop is pretty severe to the right. In looking at the bullet spread for the ACE it seems pretty good (straight up).

For some reason I like the SKS. I think it is a mix of the low recoil and the sound and that I have one in my closet.

i usually use the ACE 53 SV, with silencer and thermal sight.

but if its more close range fighting the SKS is better due to its hip fire accuracy.

in canada? they seem to be a bit strict on youtube about copyrighted music in videos, they work fine in the US

No I'm in the US. It's blocked for me.

edit: weird. it's blocked on my iPad but not on my desktop. both using the same network.

Last edited:
snip

The chat at the end is great. Did you know them or did they just know of your SRAW?

As for DMR,s I have been having pretty good luck with the EM39. I still dont really know what all the stats affect and just go with what feels right, but I usually gravitate towards higher accuracy guns and you can get the EM39 to 75 IIRC.

UMP 45 is pretty sweet. With silencer it is a beast up close. You can close shop on a whole squad pretty easy.

i don't know who he is, he prob saw my videos tho i usually post them on the official forums section when i put one up. its possible he replied to one of them there too but ive put up so many videos it would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack lol

i don't know who he is, he prob saw my videos tho i usually post them on the official forums section when i put one up. its possible he replied to one of them there too but ive put up so many videos it would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack lol

Even better if you dont know him! Thanks for posting the vids, hugely entertaining. Keep it up.

You guys make it sounds like there is no choice involved here. ;)

Stay up late - play it - wake up - go to work - and then regret your poor choice of priorities. :D

I'll pay you to teach me to sraw like you :)

lol, its really not that easy to teach. its one of those things where you are good with it or not i think. practice practice practice.

use the skeet shooting barrels in the test range to practice hitting moving targets that dont shoot back.

Staying up for Second Assault!
Just bought Insurgency to kill some time. This game is so good.
Love how tactical it is. Really gets my heart up.

Too bad it is 1AM. Can not seem to download it now or else I would have. Will play it tomorrow.

1am is in 1 hour 40 minutes, for the west coast which is when its supposed to release i believe

4am eastern, second assualt just came out.
cant wait to try out capsian and gulf

have fun, ill sit here uploading a video since i cant play the "new" old maps

9.4GB upload to youtube lol

LOL no worries, they forgot to patch Battlelog... You cant play SA anyway even with the patch installed

I can finally join the servers, all I had to do was to relog into Battlelog, and it greeted me with "grats you now have early access to Second Assault blablabla".

I can finally join the servers, all I had to do was to relog into Battlelog, and it greeted me with "grats you now have early access to Second Assault blablabla".

nice,

i still have another 134 minutes on this damn bf4 video upload to youtube heh going to prob go to sleep once its done uploading will likely take a couple hours for youtube to process it any way.

prob a bit excessive to upload a 30minute video in 4k res but what ever haha.

I get a "Could not communicate with BF4 - please use task manager to shut it down" message when joining servers but then BF4 loads and connects normally.

Just an FYI if anyone sees this.

/not really digging Gulf of Oman. They should have called it "operation dusty as shit". Not a fan of obstructed visibility maps in general, but the visibility really sucks at jet altitudes.

anyone want to team up on an empty Firestorm/Caspian server for the GOL unlock? Tried a few times and it's just too much of a clusterfuck to get anything consistent.

Back