Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

@Battlefield account on Twitter confirms Second Assault is coming out on the 18th for premium owners.

Be specific, not a jerk.

:D calm down there chief. i was being quite literal. you yourself said they have fixed the bulk of the main issues. not all of the main issues. then you said 'not sure what fixes you were expecting in this patch.' i figured it was obvious. fixes for the remaining issues. in my case the last patch introduced client crashing that i haven't seen since the first 2 weeks after release.

regardless, i'm having a shit ton of fun with BF4 and playing through the issues. if nothing else DICE knows how to put out a damn entertaining game.

:D calm down there chief. i was being quite literal. you yourself said they have fixed the bulk of the main issues. not all of the main issues. then you said 'not sure what fixes you were expecting in this patch.' i figured it was obvious. fixes for the remaining issues. in my case the last patch introduced client crashing that i haven't seen since the first 2 weeks after release.

Yes, there are still some issues with Mantle, and there are still some netcode changes forthcoming. But the focus is on new content and weapon balance now. So I'm not sure what you're waiting for without being specific. Which listed issue on the issue tracker is the one you're waiting to be patched?

So I'm not sure what you're waiting for without being specific.

in my case the last patch introduced client crashing that i haven't seen since the first 2 weeks after release.

i don't know how else to say it to you. anyway we can move on from this. i'm having some issues, others aren't. i'm happy with my purchase and love the game.

i see the 2nd assault weapons and assignments are showing up in Battlelog now (may be old news but i'm just now noticing). i'm anxious to try out the F2000 and M60-E4. the assignment criteria is getting easier though which is kind of a bummer.

F2000 - EXPRESS TRAIN
Assault Rifle Ribbon x1
Kill Assist Ribbon x2
Get 10 kills inside the Metro

M60-E4 - DUST DEVIL
Anti Vehicle Ribbon x1
Destroy 5 vehicles in Gulf of Oman

i don't know how else to say it to you.

All I'm asking is which issue(s) you're having that are on the tracker. No unpatched PC crashes are listed on the tracker, so you might be holding out for a BF4 fix that isn't coming, because the problem isn't BF4.

the assignment criteria is getting easier though which is kind of a bummer.

Disagreed. The Gulf of Oman requirement will be easy by ramming with M2 SLAMs or C4, and killing 10 people in Metro isn't very hard with all the grenade spam.

The only bad part about those requirements is having to play Metro at all. Screw that map.

The only bad part about those requirements is having to play Metro at all. Screw that map.

I agree. I don't know why they decided to add this one in. There are so many other maps I would chose over metro. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

All I'm asking is which issue(s) you're having that are on the tracker. No unpatched PC crashes are listed on the tracker, so you might be holding out for a BF4 fix that isn't coming, because the problem isn't BF4.

Disagreed. The Gulf of Oman requirement will be easy by ramming with M2 SLAMs or C4, and killing 10 people in Metro isn't very hard with all the grenade spam.

I would take metro over operation locker and a lot of the vanilla bf4 maps any day.

Part of me hopes you can still completely break Metro by shooting frag rounds at the ceiling above the stairs. Just sit out of line of sight, put an ammo box down, and hold mouse 1 down. Nobody could ever figure out what the fuck I was doing because it looked like they were just dropping dead for no reason.

If you ever felt like you needed 100+ kills without ever moving, dying, or really having fun in BF3, that was the way to do it.

I agree. I don't know why they decided to add this one in. There are so many other maps I would chose over metro. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I would take metro over operation locker and a lot of the vanilla bf4 maps any day.

i had fun on Metro in BF3, but i played enough of it that i don't have much desire to play in BF4. i'm excited about Gulf of Oman though. love that map.

Locker is the BF4 version of Metro. Same damn thing, right down to the linear layout and emphasis on choke points. I wouldn't be surprised if they were conceived and designed by the exact same individual.

Yep. If they wanted something mindless that isn't Locker, what about Noshahr Canals?

Gulf of Oman will be nice to have back, but it's probably going to fall out of rotation once Naval Strike comes out. I also don't think Oman offers anything that isn't already in Hainan Resort, so its inclusion is a little weird to me too.

I don't think Alborz Mountains or Kiasar Railroad got enough play in BF3, and would have preferred those come back for BF4.

Part of me hopes you can still completely break Metro by shooting frag rounds at the ceiling above the stairs. Just sit out of line of sight, put an ammo box down, and hold mouse 1 down. Nobody could ever figure out what the fuck I was doing because it looked like they were just dropping dead for no reason.

If you ever felt like you needed 100+ kills without ever moving, dying, or really having fun in BF3, that was the way to do it.

People will now just assume it's an XM25 Airburst.

I'd like to see all of Aftermath and Endgame get ported over. BF3 didn't really get 'good' for me, until those add-ons. I'd also like the "scavenger" game mode to return.

I'd like to see all of Aftermath and Endgame get ported over. BF3 didn't really get 'good' for me, until those add-ons. I'd also like the "scavenger" game mode to return.

Man I forgot about the aftermath maps, those were awesome. I kinda hope BF5 doesn't come out for another 3 years so I can enjoy BF4 and all its expansions.

.....and there are still some netcode changes forthcoming.

Where did you see that? All I see are complaints about the low tickrate and some lipstick being applied to the "netcode" like today's audio tickery. I've seen zero posted by an actual Dice employee/dev about really addressing the issue.

Will I be ok with a I7 920 @ 3,8gb, 16GB RAM, ATI HD6950 flashed to 6970 on Windows 8.1?

Well i would like to play at 1920x1200 and not have a slideshow while at least have the same graphics quality that i had in BFBC2 and BF3.

Well i would like to play at 1920x1200 and not have a slideshow while at least have the same graphics quality that i had in BFBC2 and BF3.

You could probably run it with everything on high and no AA and get 40+ fps.

Will I be ok with a I7 920 @ 3,8gb, 16GB RAM, ATI HD6950 flashed to 6970 on Windows 8.1?

You will be ok.

However, a new graphics card would be an optimal upgrade in your situation. Your processor is plenty fine.

I was planning on getting a GTX770 and a 1TB Evo SSD. Wasn't sure about the processor though.

List the specific issues that you are waiting for in upcoming patches that you believe affect the core stability and usability of the game.

You mean like the 100% repro crash when you have more than one GPU and try to enter the options menu?

Or maybe the persistent 'device hung' crash bug that makes it impossible for me to play the game, which granted could actually be a driver or directx problem but at least warrants a call out from DICE (note that this has been reported across drivers, IHVS(!) and BF versions)

I was planning on getting a GTX770 and a 1TB Evo SSD. Wasn't sure about the processor though.

Nice, my friend just took the same video card upgrade path as that. 6950 w/ 6970 shaders , to a GTX 770. Quite the performance increase!

You mean like the 100% repro crash when you have more than one GPU and try to enter the options menu?

Or maybe the persistent 'device hung' crash bug that makes it impossible for me to play the game, which granted could actually be a driver or directx problem but at least warrants a call out from DICE (note that this has been reported across drivers, IHVS(!) and BF versions)

This could be a problem with a Windows Update if you're running it on Windows 7. Find out if you have KB 2670838 installed and uninstall it. This platform update is known to cause issues in games using DirectX 10 and higher on newer discrete graphics hardware. If the developer did not program or patch the game using the latest Windows SDK then the problem will also occur. I think in BF4's case this would require the Frostbite engine to be updated and recompiled, and I don't think EA would want DICE to waste their resources on that...

This could be a problem with a Windows Update if you're running it on Windows 7.

Fully up to date Windows 8.1, 64-bit. i7-3770, R9 290, everything stock.

Neither the DX nor Mantle rendering paths actually work for me. The only thing I haven't done is roll back to Catalyst 13.12 which I'd probably do if it weren't for the fact that none[0] of the other games I play have exhibited any problems and I'd rather move forward.

Pretty much given up for now, at least until AMD push out another 14 driver.

[0] With the exception of the Titanfall Beta earlier today, which I fixed within minutes.

Nice, my friend just took the same video card upgrade path as that. 6950 w/ 6970 shaders , to a GTX 770. Quite the performance increase!

Excellent, i instead went with a Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 780, it was on sale and only like $65 more than the 770. Together with a 500GB Samsung Evo SSD for System and some games and a Seagate 2TB HDD/SSD Hybrid for Storage, it should perform much better than it does now.

I might even get a MSI GD65 board and 4670K processor from my tax refund but I'm not sure on that yet.

Thanks for the suggestions you all and I'll see you in the game i assume.

Last edited:
Tried again last night. Game is completely unplayable due to the patch kicking up the sound loop in high gear. Happens every 15 minutes or less for me.

Wildace: I pmed u a couple weeks ago, but never heard back. Did u get it?

I was getting sound loop freeze ups within 2-3 minutes into the game, tried it nonstop over 6 times to make sure.

I tried all kinds of crap to make it work until I went to bios and enabled HT, game has been working fine ever since.

I keep HT turned off in BF4, just in case someone asks me why I didn't have it on.

Back