Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

The jet mechanics in bf4 sucks in comparison to bf2, it all feels like an afterthought. As a jet pilot that plays exclusively in hard core servers, I have no place to land and repair damage. If i take damage from one of the 63 potential sources of anti air on any map, and survive by the skin of my teeth, I can't land and repair. If i shoot down the two enemy jets and bail out of my smoking crate just before it explodes, I no longer have the option of finding transport, returning to the airfield to grab a new jet. No, I have to suicide, incur a death, and respawn to reenter a jet. By contrast, hello pilots can return to base and enter helos on the ground. They can land virtually anywhere and repair.

The fire extinguisher helps, but after using it your health is still below 50% so one missile salvo takes you out instantly. It can get you out of the shit, but you end up flying a busted crate that goes up in a ball of fire with one hit.

Gone is the need to re arm your aircraft at the air strip, enter magical armament dispensers that provide limitless amounts of munitions.

What? I just..I don't...HOW?!

I don't get it either because his aim is completely random when he leads them. If it were the same mechanism each time it'd be easy to replicate but it's not, and the aiming completely off the screen only to still get the hit is perplexing. I've tried it a great deal and the only time I get hits is when I try to leave the marker on the target and lead to it.

i feel like a retarded monkey when i'm wielding the SRAW. Wildace's videos are just salt in the wound.

Is Battlelog being odd for anyone else recently? I'm not getting live score board updates on the server browser or ping.

Is Battlelog being odd for anyone else recently? I'm not getting live score board updates on the server browser or ping.

Battlelog has always given me fits, mainly regarding my friends list. My brother and I always have a hell of a time getting into the same game, let alone the same team, because he rarely shows as online. He can chat me in BL, but still shows as offline. It's frustrating.

Holy shit, 4k

its really just 1080p, upscaled when rendered to get around youtubes crappy 1080p compression, just gives it a really clear picture when you use the 4k setting on youtube.

i lose the ping numbers a lot but restarting battlelog usually fixes that for me.

i feel like a retarded monkey when i'm wielding the SRAW. Wildace's videos are just salt in the wound.

I have tried this with 100's of shots and not a single hit. There is simply no reason for the shells to hit the targets with the way he leads them. It seems completely random. :confused:

I don't get it either because his aim is completely random when he leads them. If it were the same mechanism each time it'd be easy to replicate but it's not, and the aiming completely off the screen only to still get the hit is perplexing. I've tried it a great deal and the only time I get hits is when I try to leave the marker on the target and lead to it.
It's not completely random. He is able to judge depth perception really well. He has to judge distance to objects, which direction they are traveling, speed, and use these things to predict exactly where something will be at a given point of time.

The extremely difficult part is judging where the missile is in the middle of all of this, especially since all you really see of the missile is the exhaust. Therefore you can only judge distance by the speed of the object.

When the target goes off screen, you have to lead the missile in the direction you want it to go. Think of the laser designator more like a rope, and you are pulling the missile from the point in space that the crosshair is pointing at any given time.

Another way of thinking of it is using a laser pointer on your cat or dog. Flash it on an object and hold it there, the animal goes straight for it just like you would by putting crosshairs directly on a chopper. And just like the missile, the animal may get too enthusiastic and may need to re-aquire the target due to obstacles such as furniture.
Flash it at their feet then move it along the floor and they chase it following every step of the way, including dashing between furniture until they smack headfirst into the target.:D

whats the strongest weapon to use for a engineer?

If were talkin carbines:
The ACE52 is the "strongest", but i would recommend the AK5C as the most versatile weapon and the MTAR21 for shredding close quarters combat.

If were talkin carbines:
The ACE52 is the "strongest", but i would recommend the AK5C as the most versatile weapon and the MTAR21 for shredding close quarters combat.
So the AK5C is more versatile than the ACW-R?

Last edited:
So the AK5C is more versatile than the ACW-R?

yes, the AK5-C is better for engaging at range, while still capable at close range and medium range, while the ACW-R is horrible for medium to long range but is amazing at close range.

I have tried this with 100's of shots and not a single hit. There is simply no reason for the shells to hit the targets with the way he leads them. It seems completely random. :confused:

There's plenty of reason for it. The rocket lags your movement by a great deal. The rocket also doesn't travel super fast. You have to lead really far like that, to acount for the intened input lag and the travel lag of the rocket.

It's not something you can do well in 45 minutes. But it is something you can at least understand in short enough order, to start making progress.

-------------------------------------------

I actually like the PP2000 pretty well, for the engineer. It is fantastically accurate and doesn't climb as much as some of the other guns. This makes it pretty easy to handle/predictable. I've been able to get 3 kills on on clip, at reasonably close range.

Last edited:

I am having the issue today. Also I can't seem to join any server. Battlelog shows joining server, but never actually launches the client. I have checked for updates and repaired with no issues. Punkbuster also is up to date.

I wonder if something in Windows 8.1 patch Tuesday broke something. I updated yesterday and this was the first time I tried to play. It worked fine before the patch.

I have tried restarting with the same results.

Does it include the crash when entering a vehicle ? It's kinda killed my fun, I love the game but random crash every 15-20 minutes becaue I forgot I can't enter a tank is kinda silly.

I'm running 290x's in crossfire, 14.1 was utterly horrible under both mantle and DX for me. Huge fps loss, giant lag spikes.

Tempted to see if the situation has improved, but I just don't feel like flipping back and forth between 13.12 and 14.1 just to check. Think I might wait for something like, "improves multi gpu performance" in the release notes. What I need is a mantle driver that doesn't utterly suck in DX.

Feb 13 PC Game Update Notes
-General stability improvements
-Fix for an issue where spawning into, or switching to, a gunner seat in an IFV/MBT sometimes could cause the game to crash
-Fix for missing sound in Team/Squad Deathmatch
-Fix for an issue in the Defuse game mode, where a bomb carrier would be permanently spotted
-Decreased the rate at which the kill card would incorrectly display 0 health, while the enemy was clearly alive
-Fix for an invisible wall that was incorrectly present in one of the fallen concrete pipes on Zavod 311
-Fix for an issue where bullet impact sounds weren’t properly matching the actual number of impacts
-Fix for an issue where the “Draw” message would not display on-screen once a Conquest round ended with both teams having the same amount of tickets
-Fix for an issue where long IDs wouldn’t scroll on dog tags
-Fix for missing grass physics in terrain

Mantle
-Fix for a crash that would occur when activating full screen in portrait mode
-Fix for stuttering that could appear during video sequences on multi-GPU PCs
-Fix for a memory system leak that could cause stalls, which would result in frames taking longer to process
-Reduced the amount of stalls that occurred when running with high graphics setting that require more GPU memory than is currently available
-Fixed screenshots on multi-GPU PCs

Source:battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493838365687/last/

-Fix for an issue where bullet impact sounds weren’t properly matching the actual number of impacts
-Fix for an issue where the “Draw” message would not display on-screen once a Conquest round ended with both teams having the same amount of tickets
-Fix for an issue where long IDs wouldn’t scroll on dog tags
-Fix for missing grass physics in terrain

:D good to see they're focusing on the important bugs. Being facetious obviously, all fixes are welcome. It's just funny when they include stuff like that considering the gravity of other issues.

:D good to see they're focusing on the important bugs. Being facetious obviously, all fixes are welcome. It's just funny when they include stuff like that considering the gravity of other issues.

They've already fixed the bulk of the main issues. Weapon balances are coming but those take time to play test. Not sure what fixes you were expecting in this patch.

They've already fixed the bulk of the main issues. Weapon balances are coming but those take time to play test. Not sure what fixes you were expecting in this patch.

the remaining 'main issues' you refer to.

Last edited:
I crashed 4 times last night because of the stupid tank gunner seat so I really hope that's fixed. Tanking is one of my favorite things to do in that game.

I'm running 290x's in crossfire, 14.1 was utterly horrible under both mantle and DX for me. Huge fps loss, giant lag spikes.

Tempted to see if the situation has improved, but I just don't feel like flipping back and forth between 13.12 and 14.1 just to check. Think I might wait for something like, "improves multi gpu performance" in the release notes. What I need is a mantle driver that doesn't utterly suck in DX.

I'm waiting for a whole new driver, as 14.1 gave me internet video playback issues and menu corruption in windows and other programs.

the remaining 'main issues' you refer to.

Be specific, not a jerk. The upcoming patches focus on balance, not technical issues. DLC development has resumed as well, meaning DICE considers the technical problems to be fixed.

List the specific issues that you are waiting for in upcoming patches that you believe affect the core stability and usability of the game.

Back