Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

Good to see the Mantle drivers out at last. Let's finally put the questions about its performance improvements to bed. Anand's preliminary benchmarks weren't THAT impressive, but a free gain is a free gain.

Really depends on rig + graphic config.

On my end I'm seeing 30-40% faster framerate, I was CPU limited in all cases.

New weapons showing up in the main menu. I guess we can unlock them early? Not a fan that there are only 5 though. And still no new vehicles aside from a small transport and a skid loader. Premium certainly isn't worth as much as BF3's Premium.

I installed the 14.1 mantle drivers over the 13.11 that I had installed. Worked out fine, fps felt more consistent while playing on 24/7 Lockers, but I didn't log numbers to verify. So far I'm happy. Between the latest BF4 patch and this driver update, the game is rock solid for me. Now let's see how long this lasts.

ive only had a biref chance to test it, and so far mantle feels amazing.

but its only a brief test and not in a mp game yet.

but in the test range, moving forward a bit and sitting still i was getting around 118fps, then looking to the left i was getting 88-90fps this is in DX11

with mantle i get 145fps looking forward and 125-135fps looking to the left.

that alone to me feels like a win greatly smoothing out the fps.

i will have to see how it feels in a mp game tomorrow dont really feel like it tonight.

my specs,
4.4ghz AMD 8120
xfx reference 290
16GB DDR3
windows 8.1

Last edited:
I saw nothing improve. The game still crashes on a regular basis for me.

After switching to the new drivers BF4 can't even load. It crashes while trying to load the map. This is REALLY convenient because now I can't even get into the game to switch it back to DX11.

Wow, you've got problems.
Nah, he just needs a new donut to sit on. The old one wore out because it took quite a pounding.

Here ya go Naticus. Just for you. *HUGGLES!!!*

Donut%20Cushion%2001.png

Crash on entering Options. Seems to be a common problem. The internet suggestion is to disable integrated graphics (in devices/BIOS/UEFI). <sigh>

Bonus: Battlelog refusing to launch from Origin. Not driver related, but ... why? How? Stop being such a failure, BF4.

I guess Mantle is kind of disappointing for me. I understand it's great for people who are CPU limited, but future upgrades will almost lower the CPU limitations. (Although I do understand newer games can always force CPU limitations.)

There's all this talk about how "close to the metal" will be so much better than the DX path, and while it is better, it's not mind-blowing better. It doesn't really seem to give enough of an upgrade to take the graphics to the next level while keeping a similar frame rate to DX.

The latest patch seems to have really stabilized the game… seeing less server lag in general now. It still happens, but at the current rate of improvement, we might finally be looking at a good long-term product.

Also, MAAs are still deadly, despite the nerfs.

CPU-limited scenarios do seem to get the most gain, you're right. Though I hope this doesn't lead to some saying that the CPU is less relevant than the GPU for Mantle games now.

I really like Mantle - it got rid of this annoying stutter that i had every 30 seconds or so. FPS haven't really seen to go up, but that one issue was driving me nuts so I'm happy its been resolved with Mantle.

You running the game on low or something? lol

Yeah, all low all the time. That's what I've been running the last 15 years lol.

And mantle has almost doubled my FPS because of that. It's very impressive overall.

Yesterday I had 2-3 crashes, but today all was fine.

I do get 1 major hitch once in a while. I'd estimate 2x per round. Kinda like a half second freeze.

and thats your comment from that quote? ROFL

Life needs less of you people.

Wait I was being facetious are you serious? Not trying to be a fucking dick here but what is your BF user name, etc? i will bet you haave a skill level uner 300, and have a KD/R under 2 and have a win % under 65, amirite? If so I don't even know why I am talking to you.

Last edited:
I managed to get the game to function by turning off crossfire last night for a few rounds....I had all settings maxed at 1080 averaging about 80fps but the game hung during a round and I haven't been able to get it to load another round, it hangs at the loading screen and I have to use task manager to kill it.

Ugh, looks like I spoke too soon. Played four or five rounds today and I keep getting some random stuttering. FPS display drops down to 0-10. Happens with both DX and Mantle selected so time to roll back. I don't get why it wasn't happening last night though. Played full 64 man Lockers for several hours without an issue and now I'm having this FPS stuttering even with ~10 people in a server. Oh well, at least I know the old drivers work..

Mantle not good for me on the x58 with a r290...Back to DX11

In game stuttering then, game freezer......mmmmmmm no me gusta me amigos'

Anybody lose in game audio since yesterday?

I have no sound on the first match in a server. Fucking sucks

Just to see, I went out today and bought a Samsung 840 Pro SSD to install Windows 8. If its a large improvement over Windows 7 in performance I will just have to make Windows 8 my primary now. Also curious with Mantle. Ill have to see since I have to download BF4 again.

If 290x prices weren't fucked I'd order an MSI gaming 290x just to fuck with BF4/mantle.

Game is just flat out not working for me anymore - getting 20 fps with my 290x when i was previously getting 80+, if i enable mantle the game will run at 4 fps. Crashing and rubber banding all the time. Can't join a server most of the time either.

Just to see, I went out today and bought a Samsung 840 Pro SSD to install Windows 8. If its a large improvement over Windows 7 in performance I will just have to make Windows 8 my primary now. Also curious with Mantle. Ill have to see since I have to download BF4 again.

You'll get .8 or so of a frame rate with Windows 8. Why did you think it would be faster?

I had to change my name around on BF4 after getting phished.

Add me if anyone wants to use mics/teamwork @ aeonrevolution

Back