Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

Has anybody played with the patch yet? Have the fixes they listed for multi-core processors and nVidia GPUs actually improved anything?

I really enjoy the minigun on the RHIB. It's so fun to take out scout choppers and troops. :)

My buddy and I were just on flood zone doing this last night. He was driving around while I was gunning. We were harassing so bad. The other team was getting so pissed off with our guerrilla style attacks. We would just drive around and take out a few guys or choppers and drive away. You can do serious damage if you've got a good driver/gunner combo on TS. Good times! Honestly one of the most fun times I've had in BF4 for awhile. This game really does shine when you're in a good squad on TS.

Finally got an SRAW kill that I'm proud of. I'm starting to get a feel of the guidance, but I'm having trouble just getting into the right vantage points without getting blasted :p. Not as fancy as Ace or in the quantity that he produces, but I'm proud of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDXw5zcNE34

So is the SRAW the sophisticated man's AT-4 of BFBC2?

You are spot on TheOrangeJuicer. A good squad and TS can turn the tide in a server, even if its only 2-3 people. Funny that teamwork stuff.....

Looking forward to seeing how the changes shake out. I hope the changes are more tweaks than changes. I still think it is fairly balanced at this point.

So is the SRAW the sophisticated man's AT-4 of BFBC2?

Not really. The SRAW acts more like a laser guided missile since it essentially flies to the reticle. And it has 4 total targeting modes. The AT4 was just pure wire guided - where guidance that was based on relative movements, and if you missed, you missed. Meaning no u-turn's like an Acme missile from a roadrunner cartoon, coming back and hitting the object being "painted" anyway. I only wish it were a 1:1 of the AT4.

That said, there's certainly a skill curve to it - look no further than WildAce for proof. And in fairness the FOV is also very restricted compared to the AT4, making guidance toward objects outside of view *extremely* skill based (you're guiding it blind).

Last edited:
I really enjoy the minigun on the RHIB. It's so fun to take out scout choppers and troops. :)

I feel like the RHIB minigun is really underrated. I have taken out so many attack choppers and jets with that thing on Lancang Dam. Its like cheating lol

Don't know about performance but i'am using 150% scale at 1440p (so it's basically 4k) and i get 80-130FPS on Goldmun map.. pretty sure never been that fast before (GTX 780)

It seems that the other weapons are too under powered in the game and that makes others run around with DMR's. I have always felt that the range and damage ratio need to be up'ed with LMG, Assault, carbine, and PDW's. The upgrade to the attack helo gun has been needed for a long time, and wish the 50 call on the tank gets a buff too-especially for vehicles.

Man, not everything needs to do equal damage! The attack helo will likely be a bit over powered now, if there is a good gunner in the seat. I'm a crappy gunner and it only took me two passes on a tank to kill it, before the patch. There was actually a top 30 chopper pilot talking about this in the BF4 forums, saying this was not a good decision for a buff.

There are a couple of LMGs with PLENTY of damage. I use the MG4 all the time. It shoots super fast, has a tone of bullets, has high damage, manageable recoil, and allows both medium range and close range scopes/dot sights AT THE SAME TIME.

I mean, what the heck else do you need? The only time I need a different gun, is if I need more precsision at medium/long range. then I switch to the QBB LMG. It's not as high of damage and doesn't hold as many bullets, but it has pretty light recoil and in single shot mode, is pretty much a laser. As it's first shot accuracy is really high.

Man, not everything needs to do equal damage! The attack helo will likely be a bit over powered now, if there is a good gunner in the seat. I'm a crappy gunner and it only took me two passes on a tank to kill it, before the patch. There was actually a top 30 chopper pilot talking about this in the BF4 forums, saying this was not a good decision for a buff.

There are a couple of LMGs with PLENTY of damage. I use the MG4 all the time. It shoots super fast, has a tone of bullets, has high damage, manageable recoil, and allows both medium range and close range scopes/dot sights AT THE SAME TIME.

I mean, what the heck else do you need? The only time I need a different gun, is if I need more precsision at medium/long range. then I switch to the QBB LMG. It's not as high of damage and doesn't hold as many bullets, but it has pretty light recoil and in single shot mode, is pretty much a laser. As it's first shot accuracy is really high.

^^ Exactly ^^

LMGs will tear some shit up in the right hands. As Cham points out above, the MG4 is a nasty, dirty little lmg that will basically destroy anyone in a run and gun situation. It will ALSO pop pilots dead in choppers who are stupid enough to get that close.

Another good option is that LM88 in the locker and some of the smaller maps... You get one or two guys laying down cover fire, youre team will sweep the opposite team with ease.

I really wish DICE would of dialed the tanks, choppers and lav's down. They are way too powerful and are so abused.

I started getting fucked up input with this patch. When the game launches, more often than not it seems that the window will just stop responding to everything -- keyboard, mouse, even moving the stupid thing doesn't work. The game is running, and I can hear it, but it's totally link dead and responds to nothing.

I figured out a dumb workaround after dicking around: Minimize the game (alt tab to do it if you're stuck in fullscreen), then mouse over it on the task bar so the preview window comes up. Right click on the preview window. SUDDENLY EVERYTHING WORKS AGAIN.

I saw some other people getting it, so if you can't click anything, maybe try this and see.

I started getting fucked up input with this patch. When the game launches, more often than not it seems that the window will just stop responding to everything -- keyboard, mouse, even moving the stupid thing doesn't work. The game is running, and I can hear it, but it's totally link dead and responds to nothing.

I figured out a dumb workaround after dicking around: Minimize the game (alt tab to do it if you're stuck in fullscreen), then mouse over it on the task bar so the preview window comes up. Right click on the preview window. SUDDENLY EVERYTHING WORKS AGAIN.

I saw some other people getting it, so if you can't click anything, maybe try this and see.

What video card are you using and which drivers with that card?

The latest update fucked me up. I will start playing then it'll just hang and crash. Some of the keys also got reset to default too.

Man, not everything needs to do equal damage!

amen. if they were to buff/nerf everything to equal damage the game wouldn't be as fun.

LMGs will tear some shit up in the right hands

I should note that I have been playing FPS for 20 years now (deathmatch, etc); yes since IPX days. When it comes to balance it is not much of an issue since things are about where they should be, but I do not like DICE's arbitrary damage and range ratio that they implement much. For example, the limited damage against aerial vehicles with the .50 cal, and even infantry, is asinine. The weapon should not overheat as soon, or damage should be better to cover the armor properly. Making the need for ENG coordination, supplying of ENG's, and healing of ENG's tactically appealing and rewarding. Rather than a mass of suicidal bombers running up to armor. It was obvious that the attack helo's cannon needed to change for it was punitive to use it against any vehicle-ANY. AA missiles are useless and punitive to carry and a SRAW is usually a 1 hit against aerial vehicles. So why use AA missiles? Especially, since you can also attack armor with the SRAW.

I am also not asking for anything to be "equal." With the comments of the weapons and range engagement limitation by you all it seems you engage the targets more in short to sometimes medium range rather than me mostly at medium. You will really be able to note the weapons characteristics at that range. And to note personally, the MG4 actually is not that great of a weapon compared to the PK-trust me. I know plenty of how to "tear up" and take down people with many weapons, but most are punitive to use; and still yet I have a 4+ KDR (profile).

I am not asking for equal, but there needs to be compensation in comparison to other weapons for the ability to fulfill a role properly. Making the array of weapons more appealing and not as arbitrary; and thus singling a weapon in which many will only use. To me that is not much even close to the concept of balance.

So I hear the latest patch is pure DICE awesomeness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3maHE7fho88

The netcode fixes (hopefully will be) are not out yet. Played last night and was loving the fact that no one shooting my opponent would suddenly from someone else. I would get an assist and X amount of damage bonus that should have been my points and also the damage was not close to the play output. Gotta love the shitty netcode.

Have you guys tried Mantle yet? I'm pretty pumped as I have a 7950 and a 4770k. Maybe I'll actually be able to turn my settings up now.

Seem that they'll be several patch in February, if you read the last one it's a post Second Assault one. Cpu/gpu optimization, Mantle, dmr tweak and some other light adjustment.

They seem to introduce a sound bug on all platforms tought, altought I didn't experience it yesterday.

I mean on 2 servers I was just destroying. Is that me or sometime you join a server with mostly very good players, and iam not that good, I do Ok in bf4, but other it's just a pathetic f*#€ fest. Even the other team dudes where saying : well we just sucks because they all cried hackers etc. Pings where Ok and k/D wasn't over realistic like 88/1, max was me with 28/5 on the satellite map

I mean wtf is with players spawn on they almost dead body, when it's written danger, don't freaking spawn. I did 10 kill streak because 2 dudes where spawning their friends endlessly and I had a mg4..just decimated them

Seem that they'll be several patch in February, if you read the last one it's a post Second Assault one. Cpu/gpu optimization, Mantle, dmr tweak and some other light adjustment.

The performance improvements, Mantle, DMR rebalancing, and others are already available. The patch came out yesterday.

Second Assault is a DLC, not a patch.

Not really. The SRAW acts more like a laser guided missile since it essentially flies to the reticle. And it has 4 total targeting modes. The AT4 was just pure wire guided - where guidance that was based on relative movements, and if you missed, you missed. Meaning no u-turn's like an Acme missile from a roadrunner cartoon, coming back and hitting the object being "painted" anyway. I only wish it were a 1:1 of the AT4.

That said, there's certainly a skill curve to it - look no further than WildAce for proof. And in fairness the FOV is also very restricted compared to the AT4, making guidance toward objects outside of view *extremely* skill based (you're guiding it blind).

Fair points. My comment was more of a reference to the BFBC2 days when you would pop into a server and it was AT-4 all day. Granted I had my fun with it (and it seems you you did as well), but with all of these videos (esp. Wildace's) I feel like it wont be long before you hop into a server and it will be full of SRAW peeps.

I wont have a chance to see the patch changes till this weekend, hoping it is not b0rked. I was really enjoying it these last couple weeks.

The performance improvements, Mantle, DMR rebalancing, and others are already available. The patch came out yesterday.

Second Assault is a DLC, not a patch.

I know that, but if you read the press release for yesterday patch on Dice website. It's a PATCH in preparation to the release of Second Assault, but not everything is included yet.

Feb is special month for BF4 with many perks etc.. pretty sure that Second Assault will be released in Feb (since it's already done) and some patch will be release to appeal to players..

...and here comes the nerf to the ACE 23:

" In our latest episode, find some of the balancing items that we have heard your feedback on and that we are monitoring for now. These are items where we think the game is working as designed. In this blog post, we are explaining our current thinking and design reationale on TV missiles, sniper rifles with 12G slugs, the ACE rifle performance, below radar, and more."

pretty sure that Second Assault will be released in Feb (since it's already done)...

Second Assault was nearly finished when development was halted for an all-hands effort to fix the major bugs plaguing the game. Development on non-bugfixes has since resumed, including the final touches to Second Assault and the Mantle release.

...and here comes the nerf to the ACE 23:

Read the blog before posting it. The ACE 23 is NOT going to be nerfed.

3) As a capable all around weapon, players have suggested the GALIL ACE 23 is over powered. Players of specific types, especially competitive players, will gravitate towards a weapon that can work in any situation. The ACE 23 is out performed at close range, long range, and has competitors at medium range. We see no need for a change at this time.

Last edited:
I'm still finding wild difference between servers in terms of client synch. I went to one of my usuals last night and it was a nightmare; shot before I rounded corners and no less than 3 back to back instances of the zero health bug manifested against the same player, even when I had the drop on him with the MTAR.

Decided to change servers and was immediately back on the pace with everything feeling good.

Performance is far better/smoother, however. Kind of amazing, actually.

Is this an in-game weapon? I don't know the weapons well, what/where is this gun?

I tried out the DMRs for the first time last night, at first I started out 0/6 but then finished the map 28/14, I like these things!

If you stay in the right spots, basically midrange, you can do some real damage. You get rocked at close range but man, I was working people on Paracel storm!

It's the gun mounted to the ribbed hull inflatable boat (RHIB). Those little quick moving dingys that fit about 4-5 guys.

Those DMRs drive me absolutely insane.. I like running a red dot sight on them in Locker though, that makes it kind of fun.

I'm still finding wild difference between servers in terms of client synch. I went to one of my usuals last night and it was a nightmare; shot before I rounded corners and no less than 3 back to back instances of the zero health bug manifested against the same player, even when I had the drop on him with the MTAR.

Decided to change servers and was immediately back on the pace with everything feeling good.

Performance is far better/smoother, however. Kind of amazing, actually.

Server is EVERYTHING! It's scary.. I was on a west coast server, and went something like 10/20.. Went back to East coast (as I am located here), and went up to 28/12.

Second Assault was nearly finished when development was halted for an all-hands effort to fix the major bugs plaguing the game. Development on non-bugfixes has since resumed, including the final touches to Second Assault and the Mantle release.

Read the blog before posting it. The ACE 23 is NOT going to be nerfed.

I stand corrected. I can't believe it isn't getting a nerf though, it is so much better than any other AR it's crazy.The only gun that comes close to it in the AR class is the m4. This is why when you scrim the game there is two or three weapons used; ACE 23, ACE 52 CQB and ACW-R. I have yet to see someone use any other AR besides the ACE23. AK5-C is popular in pub games but it is never used by teams in scrims, etc. I think the ACE weapons are all pretty much in a class of their own.

M4 is a carbine, so is the ACW-R, ACE52 CQB, AK5C, ACE 21

ACE 23 is a full assault rifle.

You beat me to it.

And the ACE 23 has alternatives in the M416 and AEK-971, both of which are usually unlocked ahead of the ACE 23. The M416 is a jack of all trades, and the AEK-971 almost always wins its firefights. Other ARs also do different things better; the SAR-21 is awesome if you have a tough time controlling recoil, for instance.

I think I so see what you're saying that the ACE weapons are used quite a bit. I die a lot, and usually see either the ACE 23 or 52 that have killed me. I can see why it's so popular though, it's a surprisingly well balanced weapon.

I know, what I said was these are the only weapons used in scrims, regardless of class. And the ACE 23 is the only AR used.

You beat me to it.

And the ACE 23 has alternatives in the M416 and AEK-971, both of which are usually unlocked ahead of the ACE 23. The M416 is a jack of all trades, and the AEK-971 almost always wins its firefights. Other ARs also do different things better; the SAR-21 is awesome if you have a tough time controlling recoil, for instance.

Beat you t what exactly? Have you scrimmed this game at all? There is one assault used, ACE 23, and a selection of two different carbines, ACW and the ACE 52 CQB. Since the beggining of Jan I have done about 25-30 scrims and have yet to see any other weapons than the 3-4 I listed on a consistent basis, every now and a blue fucking moon someone will use an AK5-C or a SCAR AR, but it is rare.

Once again I am not speaking for pub gamers and that community at all ( the guys who make youtube videos owning shitty pub players with SRAW, etc.), but the competitive players.

I know, what I said was these are the only weapons used in scrims, regardless of class. And the ACE 23 is the only AR used.

Many competitive players prefer the 416 over the ACE 23.. The first few games of CEVO this season I saw it quite often. (It's also my primary)

Competitive players gravitate to the most well-rounded weapons, full-stop. This has been the story with every MP game since MP became a thing.

Many competitive players prefer the 416 over the ACE 23.. The first few games of CEVO this season I saw it quite often. (It's also my primary)

interesting, I play ESEA and ESL (Counter-Strike and I do scrim for this shitty as BF4), I havent played CEVO in years. Are you CEVO-M or CEVO-P is there still such a thing in CEVO? Do they still use 'bad apple'?

Back