Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

Tried again today and crashed within 45 minutes. That's the longest this game has functioned for me. I tried old drivers just for kicks and all I got was some great texture flashing in pink/yellow/green colors.

But this is the problem with FPS games of today. They cater to the guy that 'dies a lot' but never gets kills. This is why bf4 will never be anything more than a shit pub game that will be dead in 6 months. It is catered to the lowest common denominator like consoles and COD. If you want balance and skill based play you play Counter-Strike, period. This sucks for me as I would love to have a new comp game that isn't on a 10 year old engine. The BF series has always been about casual game-play, even more so than COD, but BF4 is on a new level, 2 teams with 98% terrible players. Just go play GTA 5 already.

And anyone that paid 100$ for this and the premium I feel bad for you .

Yeah Dice should completely develop their titles for people who think video games are a sport. They will sell bazillions!

:rolleyes:

Yeah Dice should completely develop their titles for people who think video games are a sport. They will sell bazillions!

:rolleyes:

Hey, who woulda guessed they would sell this many copies of a broken game? Same goes for CoD.

My how things have changed over the years

Hey, who woulda guessed they would sell this many copies of a broken game? Same goes for CoD.

My how things have changed over the years

All software releases with bugs now - it's just like saying it's not if you fall down or not it's how quickly you get back up.

It seems like they are responding to issues and taking them seriously.

I personally have had a pretty stable experience and it runs awesome with just a 580 GTX SC.

But this is the problem with FPS games of today. They cater to the guy that 'dies a lot' but never gets kills.

This is exactly why I prefer Battlefield to other FPS multiplayer shooters. I'm not a great point man and I don't have the time to put into a game to be one. But I can still jump into a match, play the objective, dole out repairs and heals, and still contribute to my team. No, my K/D is not positive and likely never will be. I went 3/18 on a match last night but still ended up in the top 1/3 for points because of my objective and support play.

BF does not put sole focus on kills and I think it is a better experience for it.

This is exactly why I prefer Battlefield to other FPS multiplayer shooters. I'm not a great point man and I don't have the time to put into a game to be one. But I can still jump into a match, play the objective, dole out repairs and heals, and still contribute to my team. No, my K/D is not positive and likely never will be. I went 3/18 on a match last night but still ended up in the top 1/3 for points because of my objective and support play.

BF does not put sole focus on kills and I think it is a better experience for it.

I have a K/DR of like 0.53, I do NOT play for kills, I play objectively. I play a lot of conquest and I cap as many flags as I can and help my team as much as I can. I play engineer a lot with anti air (IGLA) and repair tool and will always take a back seat in a boat or in a helo to get anti air kills and repairs on the vehicles, occasionally I get a kill or two just gunning from said vehicles. I prefer being a contributor to my teams success.

If I am not running engineer, I run recon, I play with stealth recon using a 336-Recon with silencer and m-1911 silenced as well, with c-4 and claymores, I prefer a sneak attack and will grab point for team and scout out the enemy allowing my team to mop up without being noticed. If I see a tank while entering these area's, I try to load c-4 on said tank and place claymores on escape points to prevent enemy hostility.

I have a K/DR of like 0.53, I do NOT play for kills, I play objectively. I play a lot of conquest and I cap as many flags as I can and help my team as much as I can. I play engineer a lot with anti air (IGLA) and repair tool and will always take a back seat in a boat or in a helo to get anti air kills and repairs on the vehicles, occasionally I get a kill or two just gunning from said vehicles. I prefer being a contributor to my teams success.

If I am not running engineer, I run recon, I play with stealth recon using a 336-Recon with silencer and m-1911 silenced as well, with c-4 and claymores, I prefer a sneak attack and will grab point for team and scout out the enemy allowing my team to mop up without being noticed. If I see a tank while entering these area's, I try to load c-4 on said tank and place claymores on escape points to prevent enemy hostility.

I do either or depending on my mood. Sometimes I will come home and feel exhausted and still want to play some games but my reflexes that day are shot so I do objectives, and when I feel sharp Ill play as recon and run around sniping. Its great that BF allows you to do either. But BF4 has been quite buggy and thats the reason I stopped playing the last week until they figure it out.

But this is the problem with FPS games of today. They cater to the guy that 'dies a lot' but never gets kills. This is why bf4 will never be anything more than a shit pub game that will be dead in 6 months. It is catered to the lowest common denominator like consoles and COD. If you want balance and skill based play you play Counter-Strike, period. This sucks for me as I would love to have a new comp game that isn't on a 10 year old engine. The BF series has always been about casual game-play, even more so than COD, but BF4 is on a new level, 2 teams with 98% terrible players. Just go play GTA 5 already.

And anyone that paid 100$ for this and the premium I feel bad for you .

BF is a game that depicts a large warzone, which means soldiers and manned vehicles will continue to be deployed into battle until the objectives are captured or the attacking forces are held/pushed back. CS is about neutralizing an area from a group of terrorist or special forces. Two different play styles. A person looking for competitive play in a 64p multiplayer has made a poor assessment of what they're looking for in a game.

Hmm....that leads me to believe its a networking level issue between your PC and someplace in the cloud, or possibly on your home network...I am making the assumption that you've run into this issue on multiple servers. Open up command line and ping your gateway (typically 192.168.1.1) with /t argument...let it run for about a minute then hit ctrl-c, it should give you some details which should come out to 0 packets dropped. If you get packets lost inside your network then you've got an issue, mostly likely a bad cable/connection. If that works fine, try pinging a website like yahoo or even the BF4 server if you know the IP address of it, again with the /t argument and see if you can repeat your packet loss issues outside of the game. I would suggest doing this without the other PC running the game and then if everything checks out, do it again with the other PC running the game. If you can't recreate the issue outside of the game, I imagine it's a network code issue with the game itself. Possibly try running the game as administrator (some programs are funky, even if you have admin rights), try reinstalling the game....check to make sure software firewall is allowing UDP/TCP traffic through on ports that BF4 uses, check your router's firewall to make sure none of that traffic is being directed specifically to a PC....What kind of router are you using and is it the only network device you have running between you and your ISPs modem?

I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk router. I just have a 1 gigabit switch, a Vonage box, and the modem other than the router. Yeah it only lags in Battlefield 4 I'm pretty sure its a problem with their servers. No other games lag.

I just pinged my router and it sent 63 packets and received 63 packets with 0% loss.

The game seems to run ok sometimes but when i run that performance test under the video settings it says packet loss and I usually get a bad connection.

Seems like EA usually has trouble with their servers when a game first comes out. I just remembered when i got the new Sim City it was unplayable for the first few days because their network kept crashing. They ended up giving out a free game because of their networking issues. So I got Sim City 4 deluxe edition for free.

Last edited:
I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk router. I just have a 1 gigabit switch, a Vonage box, and the modem other than the router. Yeah it only lags in Battlefield 4 I'm pretty sure its a problem with their servers. No other games lag.

I just pinged my router and it sent 63 packets and received 63 packets with 0% loss.

The game seems to run ok sometimes but when i run that performance test under the video settings it says packet loss and I usually get a bad connection.

Seems like EA usually has trouble with their servers when a game first comes out. I just remembered when i got the new Sim City it was unplayable for the first few days because their network kept crashing. They ended up giving out a free game because of their networking issues. So I got Sim City 4 deluxe edition for free.

Huh, never ran that test, didn't know it supplied connectivity information. There should be some sort of networking type overlay that you can turn on similar to the perfoverlay.drawfps command that will allow you to see realtime information. It's an issue outside of your personal network so that leaves a lot of fuzzy area to deal with that your probably not gonna find a resolution to.

Edit: Oh....did you have to do anything to your router/switch setup to get the Vonage service to run? Also, check your switch and possible your router for any kind of bandwidth management that might be choking the connections.

Edit2: Your router uses an SPI Firewall as well as has a listing for DoS protection. I would suggest turning those features off to see if they have an impact. SPI is going to slow down performance (but its good to have) and DoS protection, depending on how its implemented could be registering a false positive.

Edit3: You got a free game for SimCity because it was atrocious...gameplay, network, everything....I went through it all too...really tried to like the game but couldn't get past its issues...I wonder how it plays now....

Last edited:
Huh, never ran that test, didn't know it supplied connectivity information. There should be some sort of networking type overlay that you can turn on similar to the perfoverlay.drawfps command that will allow you to see realtime information. It's an issue outside of your personal network so that leaves a lot of fuzzy area to deal with that your probably not gonna find a resolution to.

Edit: Oh....did you have to do anything to your router/switch setup to get the Vonage service to run? Also, check your switch and possible your router for any kind of bandwidth management that might be choking the connections.

Edit2: Your router uses an SPI Firewall as well as has a listing for DoS protection. I would suggest turning those features off to see if they have an impact. SPI is going to slow down performance (but its good to have) and DoS protection, depending on how its implemented could be registering a false positive.

No I didn't have to do anything to the router/switch. The Vonage box is just plug and play.

I dont think its the router, all my other games run perfect. If it was my equipment, other games would lag or have high packet loss too.

Just played a match and the game ran fine and showed good connection no packet loss. Maybe the last update patched the servers.

Last edited:

That's good. Playing the objective is the goal, not about kills or KD ratio.I would take 3-18 guy helping the team to a 50-2 guy sitting in spawn with a LAV racking up kills and nothing else. The point I was trying to make is that DICE could make this game even more team oriented if they released mod tools so some leagues could start. Right now most games are completely one sided with little team work. Snipers everywhere doing nothing or 5-6 players abusing the UCAV glitch killing the server. Pub games are more of a test of patience than anything else.

That's good. Playing the objective is the goal, not about kills or KD ratio.I would take 3-18 guy helping the team to a 50-2 guy sitting in spawn with a LAV racking up kills and nothing else. The point I was trying to make is that DICE could make this game even more team oriented if they released mod tools so some leagues could start. Right now most games are completely one sided with little team work. Snipers everywhere doing nothing or 5-6 players abusing the UCAV glitch killing the server. Pub games are more of a test of patience than anything else.

I average about a 10-20/30 kills/deaths but have a SPM of around 450-500. ;) Im a sneaky recon who goes in on busy points.

There are ways they could enhance the team play but don't. More points for helping someone. Less for killing. No health regens. Stuff like that.

Ah, okay. I see your point. I also agree with everything you said here. I also do get quite frustrated with one-sided matches. I often makes me wonder if the matchmaking could be overhauled to be more effective.

So, is anyone else experiencing a problem where their dude gets clipped into the terrain and they can see underneath and they constantly vibrate up and down like sitting on a jackhammer? This has been happening to me all week and it is really, really annoying.

Team work in this game is atrocious in public servers. I play fast and hard toward the objective and shoot anything in my way. My KDR is up to 1.68 as of last night just from capping points and the lone idiots who come to try and stop me while most of the teams are in the middle of the map jerking each others sniper rifles off or ramming tanks into each other.

The best play by far is when I get a full squad of people I actually know on teamspeak and a full squad of guys from one clan or another who actually have some skill on the other team. The rest seem to be split between cannon fodder and TK'ing trolls.

I've been playing BF4 for a little while now and unfortunately all of my friends are COD console gamers! Anyways, I've a mic and play the objectives and looking to play with some of the same.

Add me:
LOAD_TO_THE_FACE

I try to team play too, but the OCD in me wants to get my KDR above 1 because they put that in big numbers -.-.

TF2 didn't do this D:

I'll be the devil's advocate here and say that the KDR obsessed guys are still playing the objective, just not the way you like. That guy that went 50-2 stopped 50 lives that could have otherwise been shooting you up, stopping you from taking the flag or dropping the supplies. Even if this is somewhere that's no where near an objective, he's still pulling people on the other team away from accomplishing the objective.

While I'm more sympathetic to people that say PTFO, its still in the same camp, in my opinion, as people bitching about defense camping a flag in conquest or a bombsite in rush/obliteration.

As of today, I've started getting hard locks almost 15-20 minutes into each round. Absolutely nothing has changed in my configuration, that being said it seems that rubber-banding is only getting worse with each patch. I'm at the point where I'm about to say fuck it and move on to something else....

Going to uninstall and re-download BF4 as China Rising is not working for me. Before I do this, is there anything I need to backup game save wise? I assume it is all stored in the cloud and on Battlelog but want to double check.

Second, is there a way to uninstall China Rising only? When viewing BF4 under details/properties, I can only do a repair install (does not help) for China Rising and not an uninstall.

All Expansion packs are built into the game via patchs. You cannot uninstall the expansions as they are part of the full install. By using the CDKey for the packs is how you unlock the content to play.

i've been working towards the Black Shark paint assignment but it's not my cup of tea. some people like tank combat but it's so damn boring to me. i'm not that great at it and it's slow, methodical gameplay. tanks are like using sniper rifles for me. mobile AA is a better option for this assignment but they're rarely available. i'll keep trucking along because the paint looks cool. i'm not even ashamed to surrender to these cheap grindfest tactics. having a lot of fun with BF4.

Last edited:

i've been working towards the Black Shark paint assignment but it's not my cup of tea. some people like tank combat but it's so damn boring to me. i'm not that great at it and it's slow, methodical gameplay. tanks are like using sniper rifles for me. mobile AA is a better option for this assignment but they're rarely available. i'll keep trucking along because the paint looks cool. i'm not even ashamed to surrender to these cheap grindfest tactics. having a lot of fun with BF4.

Not to be a dick but why do terrible players post terrible achievements and want a high five?

Not to be a dick but why do terrible players post terrible achievements and want a high five?

not looking for a high five, not posting to brag. about an 'achievement' i haven't accomplished no less. why do you have your panties in a bunch?

All Expansion packs are built into the game via patchs. You cannot uninstall the expansions as they are part of the full install. By using the CDKey for the packs is how you unlock the content to play.

That is too bad. Well, at least for me re-downloading ~30GB is not too bad. I know for others it would be though. :p

That is too bad. Well, at least for me re-downloading ~30GB is not too bad. I know for others it would be though. :p

Eh, you're getting bad information. In fact you can delete and re-download the China Rising data only. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\Update and delete the entire "Xpack1" folder. Then go back into origin, right click Battlefield 4 -> Show Game Details. Then right click China Rising and you should have a Download option. If not choose Repair and it'll redownload it. Deleting the Xpack<x> folders was handy in BF3, because I deleted the DLC's I never played - like Close Quarters and Aftermath - to save space on my SSD.

I get the feeling that the datafiles are not your problem though. First of all, you do have Premium, correct? If not you have to wait until Tuesday when China Rising unlocks for Preorders. If you do have Premium, what specific error are you getting that made you conclude "its not working"?

Eh, you're getting bad information. In fact you can delete and re-download the China Rising data only. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\Update and delete the entire "Xpack1" folder. Then go back into origin, right click Battlefield 4 -> Show Game Details. Then right click China Rising and you should have a Download option. If not choose Repair and it'll redownload it. Deleting the Xpack<x> folders was handy in BF3, because I deleted the DLC's I never played - like Close Quarters and Aftermath - to save space on my SSD.

I get the feeling that the datafiles are not your problem though. First of all, you do have Premium, correct? If not you have to wait until Tuesday when China Rising unlocks for Preorders. If you do have Premium, what specific error are you getting that made you conclude "its not working"?

I copied the install from my HDD to my SSD. Base game works fine, but not China Rising. Essentially I did the following:

- Closed Origin.

- Create Origin Games folder on new drive.

- Copy BF4 install. Renamed original BF4 folder on original drive as a backup.

- Opened Origin. Set default download in options to new drive/Origin Games folder.

- Closed Origin.

- Opened it, double clicked on BF4. It did a separate "install" for the base game and China Rising, both of which took a few seconds. Like with Steam it took a few moments, though it remade desktop shortcuts and made me redownload the Battlelog Plugin for Firefox.

- Once in game, I could not join a China Rising server. It gave me an error asking me to redownload it. However, base game servers/maps loaded just fine and I played for a couple of hours.

After various Origin repair attempts China Rising maps still give me an error when joining a server. I have only connected to China Rising maps a few times since doing this. It was working fine previously. I am going to assume the method I used to move my BF4 install does not work. :p

As the base game works, I'd rather just remove China Rising completely and redownload. I will try your recommendation and post back when I can.

lol...
terrible players, so what is your kd/spm?

these aren't the hardest achievements but they do take some time.
i just unlocked my flanker paint

In a round, kill 10 enemies with any aircraft
Destroy 50 vehicles with any aircraft

and i wear it on everything. im proud, you could say, of earning the achievement.

and the black shark really doesnt look all that great in game.

Uninstalled. Tried for almost 2 hours to get it to at least last 3 games in a row and it simply can't , not even across two computers and fresh installs of Windows 8.1.

Nothing else to be done. The worst part is that this game is one of the highest selling during the Holidays so in the end it won't really matter.

I switched to 32bit bf4 last night and it fixed my FPS issue with 290x. With 64bit exe I couldn't maintain 145fps (with gpu usage at ~20% average..).

I switched to 32bit bf4 last night and it fixed my FPS issue with 290x. With 64bit exe I couldn't maintain 145fps (with gpu usage at ~20% average..).

I tried that before as well and while it crashed less it still happened. Another nice feature of using the 32-bit exe is that you can use Afterburner to monitor things. I really wish that Afterburner supported 64-bit games.

Back