Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

This game is a giant pile of poo. Net code, stability issues, crashes, glitches, cheaters, spawn campers, highly unbalanced, etc...

Honestly, this game is more frustrating than fun. I've played around 20+ hours so far and they have been more stressful than any game I have ever played and I've been gaming since the C64 days back in the mid 1980's.

I can truly say that this game is just crap and I absolutely hate it. I've put it off for now and maybe will revisit it again in 6 months or so. For those considering buying this game, do yourself a favor and don't. Your sanity will thank you.

I can concur with you Capt.. I don't log in anymore. Been back to playing bf3 with friends who decided too give up on that buggy mess till they maybe fix things..

I wish I would have bought the game discounted too .. At least I did not buy into premium.

This game is a giant pile of poo. Net code, stability issues, crashes, glitches, cheaters, spawn campers, highly unbalanced, etc...

Honestly, this game is more frustrating than fun. I've played around 20+ hours so far and they have been more stressful than any game I have ever played and I've been gaming since the C64 days back in the mid 1980's.

I can truly say that this game is just crap and I absolutely hate it. I've put it off for now and maybe will revisit it again in 6 months or so. For those considering buying this game, do yourself a favor and don't. Your sanity will thank you.

I have the crashes too and the error: you cant connect for whatever reason. But It does sound like you don't play FPS often are perplexed with modern shooters. This is a problem I have with PC gamers now. Most are terrible at games and invest zero time into said game and get very upset when they play against people that are FAR FUCKING BETTER THAN THEM - This is a very, very..very very common problem in Counter-Strike.

I have the crashes too and the error: you cant connect for whatever reason. But It does sound like you don't play FPS often are perplexed with modern shooters. This is a problem I have with PC gamers now. Most are terrible at games and invest zero time into said game and get very upset when they play against people that are FAR FUCKING BETTER THAN THEM - This is a very, very..very very common problem in Counter-Strike.

someone asked me today how i had 32 kills, when everyone else in the squad had like 5-8.

i told him i actually use my weapons.

20 hours into the game is nothing dude, practice makes perfect and I was barely catching up with the uber-players at 20 hours and I'm still way behind them still...im average at best with 50 hours of playtime. If you've been gaming for 30 years you should have learned by now that you have a biological disadvantage at 40 vs teen/20 year old players

Agh, what's with this bug where you can't shoot/kill an enemy while they're in the process of knifing a teammate? I wasted my clip on him at point blank range, didn't see him die and stop the knifing process, then saw him on lying prone on the ground with full health after he finished the kill. At least I finished him off with my own knife, but this was stupid.

20 hours into the game is nothing dude, practice makes perfect and I was barely catching up with the uber-players at 20 hours and I'm still way behind them still...im average at best with 50 hours of playtime. If you've been gaming for 30 years you should have learned by now that you have a biological disadvantage at 40 vs teen/20 year old players

I don't know about this 40 vs teen age thing.. I know a guy who is 60+ yrs of age and still to this day he makes the younger guys rage in the game him and I have played for almost 6 yrs now. Cheaters dont bother me as much.. You just get admin on them and that issue will be dealt with sooner or later.

But the game is far from ready to play still to thid day. Crashes etc. I had less problems by going back to bf3 until they maybe fix the issues.

I agree you have to practice at any game.

Agh, what's with this bug where you can't shoot/kill an enemy while they're in the process of knifing a teammate? I wasted my clip on him at point blank range, didn't see him die and stop the knifing process, then saw him on lying prone on the ground with full health after he finished the kill. At least I finished him off with my own knife, but this was stupid.

That IS strange, I've been killed in the middle of the knifing process and killed many guys knifing my teammates.

I haven't noticed this - I've died a few times while in the middle of attempting a knife. Not to say the bug doesn't exist, I just haven't seen it so far.

I don't know about this 40 vs teen age thing.. I know a guy who is 60+ yrs of age and still to this day he makes the younger guys rage in the game him and I have played for almost 6 yrs now. Cheaters dont bother me as much.. You just get admin on them and that issue will be dealt with sooner or later.

But the game is far from ready to play still to thid day. Crashes etc. I had less problems by going back to bf3 until they maybe fix the issues.

I agree you have to practice at any game.

Come on dude, you know your reactions slow as you get older. Being that everybody is different some people retain abilities longer then others, especially with how often they are used. We've all come across the extremes of the spectrum, I've seen a 60 year old man who can hardly remember his name and shakes faster than he moves but I also work with a 60 year old man who's mind is still fairly limber and has a steady hand. I'm willing to bet 20-30 year old you would mop the floor with 40 year old you in a test of reflexes.

Now I get it that I am an "old" gamer by todays standards but I have over 300+ hours in BF3. I had a 1.6/1 KDR and had everything unlocked. I played as a team and it was fun. I played all the previous versions of the BF series and it was never this bad. When I empty a whole clip into someone and they turn around and kill me with a hand gun, something is wrong. When I come around a corner and before I see the other guy, I am dead and the death scene shows me being killed by the guy, something is wrong. When I get killed 2 seconds after I am behind a wall from some guy on the other side of the wall, something is wrong.

This game is just terrible.

I agree that it's a general problem in a lot of multiplayer games such as this, but you can't make that assumption based off of a very valid complaint involving the piss poor net code and all-around shoddyness of BF4

Fixed my "every round crashes, can't finish a single round bug", by uninstalling punkbuster's services, then reinstalling punkbuster.

Now I'm back to the occasional crash, the sound bugs, but the rest is running fairly well.

FAR FUCKING BETTER THAN THEM

yea we saw one saturday 58-3
LOL
can you say hacked out the ass
I know you can, but will you?

maybe he is just leet ROFL

my feeling on netcode its screwed up for the console boys, maybe its their aim assist screwing with it :)

For me, yeah, I took a long time off of shooters, so understand that I will need time to get back into the game. My k/d is improving, still horrible though.

However, there is enough buggery in the game that telling a person they suck is pretty shitty at this point. See below...

That bug has been there since BF1942. A decade later and some bugs from the original game are still there.

When I come around a corner and before I see the other guy, I am dead and the death scene shows me being killed by the guy, something is wrong. When I get killed 2 seconds after I am behind a wall from some guy on the other side of the wall, something is wrong.

I've had this happen as well. There are 2 solutions that have worked for me:
- choose a different and/or lower ping server
- experiment with the network smoothing slider

Now I get it that I am an "old" gamer by todays standards but I have over 300+ hours in BF3. I had a 1.6/1 KDR and had everything unlocked. I played as a team and it was fun. I played all the previous versions of the BF series and it was never this bad. When I empty a whole clip into someone and they turn around and kill me with a hand gun, something is wrong. When I come around a corner and before I see the other guy, I am dead and the death scene shows me being killed by the guy, something is wrong. When I get killed 2 seconds after I am behind a wall from some guy on the other side of the wall, something is wrong.

cant say its suprising, as Bf2 was the last game dice did that was battlefield.
time to kill is to short add netcode and the way latency works and tis just shit.
cant change between pistol and gun due to dying to fast?
dice tells me that they make a game to move around and the game dosnt support doing that, so its all just bad.

at age 49 soon 50 I just cant stand the dice kiddy game approach anymore.
its just so annoying with bf4, blacks creen before spawn, duh..........
etc...

Just got 42-3 in paracel storm WITHOUT boats and little birds, unlocked the SVS with lots of accessories, then BAM, server crashed.

goddamit DICE

Just got 42-3 in paracel storm WITHOUT boats and little birds, unlocked the SVS with lots of accessories, then BAM, server crashed.

goddamit DICE

They should just work the server crashes into the storyline. Something like the enemy has knocked the command structure offline.

This game needs to be opened up for the mod community!

EA won't let this happen. They hide behind the excuse that "the tools are too complicated". But that's not true. There are people in the gaming mod community who literally build tools from the ground up for games (BF42 had a wide variety of these). They're afraid that it'll detract from DLC and/or their next release. When in actuality - if they made it so you had to be premium to play the mods, it'd probably sell a lot more premium subscriptions.

They should just work the server crashes into the storyline. Something like the enemy has knocked the command structure offline.

Brilliant. Seriously, that would be some funny stuff. Command Center was h4xor3d, comms are down, the coffe pot wont work, EJECT!, EJECT!, EJECT!!!!

EA won't let this happen. They hide behind the excuse that "the tools are too complicated". But that's not true. There are people in the gaming mod community who literally build tools from the ground up for games (BF42 had a wide variety of these). They're afraid that it'll detract from DLC and/or their next release. When in actuality - if they made it so you had to be premium to play the mods, it'd probably sell a lot more premium subscriptions.

This.
EA has seen the Project Reality and Point of Existence mods (just to name a few) and see that as lost revenue. With new models out that promote micro-transations, DLC and partner deals with Slim-Jims etc. they will protect that revenue stream (projected or realized) the best way they know how - lock it down.

Net code is still pretty crappy. Does not matter if you find a server with a low ping. I will routinely be at 20-30 ping and get pwnt by chaps sporting a 150+ ping. Back in the day a low ping was a benefit (server side). Now with client side, higher pings are actually a benefit. If I play on South American servers and run a 110-120 ping I win most one on ones once I have adjusted my aim to the ping. I dont see how this is not exploiting and is allowed, but hey, that is the way EA wants the game to be played, right?

I too have over 300 hours into BF3 and I remember all of this from there. Nothing new, just annoying that it still occurs, though less than BF3 since the latest patches. It's too bad that it seems to be such a varied experience for people. It's been pretty fun for me so far and I can easily see myself putting in 300+ hours to BF4. I've probably got well over 100 so far, but only about 60 hours have been recorded due to crashes from before the latest patches.

This.
EA has seen the Project Reality and Point of Existence mods (just to name a few) and see that as lost revenue. With new models out that promote micro-transations, DLC and partner deals with Slim-Jims etc. they will protect that revenue stream (projected or realized) the best way they know how - lock it down.

Which is why the PR team basically turned their back on DICE, and why we will eventually have the privilege of downloading a free, stand alone version of Project Reality 2 which is built on the CryEngine 3 SDK.

/so now, people who just want to play PR don't need to buy a copy of anything. Is that what you wanted, EA?

"Project Reality 2 Ep 01: Status Update (CryEngine 3 SDK) ᴴᴰ",
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfaG1oBcn1A

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=316&t=106034

http://www.realitymod.com/pr2

Which is why the PR team basically turned their back on DICE, and why we will eventually have the privilege of downloading a free, stand alone version of Project Reality 2 which is built on the CryEngine 3 SDK.

/so now, people who just want to play PR don't need to buy a copy of anything. Is that what you wanted, EA?
<snip>

Hate to burst your bubble but I've actually been following PR2 and its pretty much vapor, dead in the water right now with nothing really happening on the development front.

i love how the "expert" turd pilots that fly the scout helo with 2-4 people constantly repairing it (surviving flying into water, trees, and buildings, and taking multiple aa and engi fire) consistently complain about aa being overpowered. i see these guys take hits to be back at 100% within two seconds. they should have kept aircraft (at least helos) needing to return to the airfield to repair (or at the very least land).

i dont think aa is over powered. but then again i shoot them down with rpg7's i dont bother waiting for a lock. i frequently repair the scout and shoot igla's off the side its good fun

i love how the "expert" turd pilots that fly the scout helo with 2-4 people constantly repairing it (surviving flying into water, trees, and buildings, and taking multiple aa and engi fire) consistently complain about aa being overpowered. i see these guys take hits to be back at 100% within two seconds. they should have kept aircraft (at least helos) needing to return to the airfield to repair (or at the very least land).

Not sure why they're "turds" if they've put time into a learning curve of a vehicle the developer put in the game, but okay. What some of them are complaining about is the cheapshit mechanic of Active Radar missiles, which gets particularly exploited by an MAA on maps like Zavod, Golmud, Lancam Dam, he sits there in safety and just spams ARMs across the map in the general direction of the enemy heli spawn. Its cheap, there's no skill involved, its a mechanic implemented for console casuals. Regardless, a fully loaded Scout can be one-shotted with a SRAW, and once you learn to use it, can be pretty nasty against heli's.

There's an argument to be made about slowing down reps in Scouts, but thats really a separate debate and multiple people using teamwork in a Scout is one of its only redeeming qualities, being constantly getting nailed by multiple stingers all round long leaves it to just getting knocked around constantly or crashing. Active Radar missiles affect all aircraft and the slow new Attack Heli's are particularly prone to getting nailed - oftentimes as they're barely taking off - with no warning. DICE reduced the damage ARMs slightly as a band-aid fix but thanks to the silly new physics of aircraft getting stunlocked or outright knocked over and crashing every time they get hit by something, well.

Take a look at this video to see how much "fun" trying to fly can be if you think its easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTp_bSTrrLY

Last edited:
wow, the latest server and client patches and latest Nvidia drivers and........................

its gotten worse

game just instantly crashes (not server) now. About done trying to play. Will be the last BF game I purchase.

lots of crashes for me tonight, i only got one game in, crashed in about 5 or 6 others. finally just stopped trying to play. the past week or so it has been totally fine and i got a lot of good games in

Seen it. The guy proceeded to knife me as well. Thanks to the beautiful netcode. Usually happens to people with ping > 100 such as myself.

Not sure why they're "turds" if they've put time into a learning curve of a vehicle the developer put in the game, but okay. What some of them are complaining about is the cheapshit mechanic of Active Radar missiles, which gets particularly exploited by an MAA on maps like Zavod, Golmud, Lancam Dam, he sits there in safety and just spams ARMs across the map in the general direction of the enemy heli spawn. Its cheap, there's no skill involved, its a mechanic implemented for console casuals. Regardless, a fully loaded Scout can be one-shotted with a SRAW, and once you learn to use it, can be pretty nasty against heli's.

There's an argument to be made about slowing down reps in Scouts, but thats really a separate debate and multiple people using teamwork in a Scout is one of its only redeeming qualities, being constantly getting nailed by multiple stingers all round long leaves it to just getting knocked around constantly or crashing. Active Radar missiles affect all aircraft and the slow new Attack Heli's are particularly prone to getting nailed - oftentimes as they're barely taking off - with no warning. DICE reduced the damage ARMs slightly as a band-aid fix but thanks to the silly new physics of aircraft getting stunlocked or outright knocked over and crashing every time they get hit by something, well.

Take a look at this video to see how much "fun" trying to fly can be if you think its easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTp_bSTrrLY

A great summation, and well, great fun! I loves me some fireball helis - never gets old.

wow, the latest server and client patches and latest Nvidia drivers and........................

its gotten worse

game just instantly crashes (not server) now. About done trying to play. Will be the last BF game I purchase.

You and me both bro.. They totally lost my future purchases. On another note.. Still having fun in bf3.. I became in game friend with a played I would normally look to kill on maps when I saw him. Me and him now duo up and try to wreck servers.

You know what's really fucking annoying? Last night I joined 7 different servers, all of them put me on the losing end of a steamroll.

What's the point in playing out those? Even if you stick around for the next round, half the players on the losing team are going to leave and it just snowballs into an even bigger steamroll.

I played a lot of BF3 and never remembered it being quite as bad as this.

You know what's really fucking annoying? Last night I joined 7 different servers, all of them put me on the losing end of a steamroll.

What's the point in playing out those? Even if you stick around for the next round, half the players on the losing team are going to leave and it just snowballs into an even bigger steamroll.

I played a lot of BF3 and never remembered it being quite as bad as this.

i noticed this a lot too. i was playing domination earlier on operation locker and my team got pushed into one corner of the map and we couldn't get out. spawn, die, spawn, die. getting steamrolled is no fun, but some of the spawn points just make it even worse.

Back