Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

Well - tried Beta8 last night and as usual, same broken piece of crap.

My gaming is working just fine - crossfire 7970s. Only a few crashes here and there with the game. Max temp under load is 70C.

My issue is that AMD did something to their drivers to totally destroy my ability to use dual monitors and also game with Crossfire. Fresh install of Win8, clean driver install. I have the cards in crossfire, (both bridges installed). using the DVI-D port, and an HDMI->DVI converter to link up the monitors.

If I have the HDMI connector plugged in and reboot, I get an infinite blue screen of death loop starting up. Unplug the HDMI monitor and it's happy as hell.

Disable crossfire and put each monitor on it's own card and it's happy as hell. This issue didn't occur till they released Beta6.

Guess i get to sit around not enjoying my other 27" 1440p monitor while AMD jerks off.

Its a sign your overclocks are not fine.

For BF4?

Maybe not. Regedit and taking "TM" out of bf4's DisplayName seems to have fixed something. No crashes so far.

I was getting hard lockups in the single player(forcing you to restart the entire mission every time), but I read somewhere to just turn down the graphics. Well, I took everything off ultra and put them all on low, didn't have a single crash after that.

you arnt missing anything, singleplayer blows worse then BF3's.

Looks and runs great on High settings though.... When not crashing

I figured since obviously MP is broken and unplayable I would waste my time with SP since the only way to unlock weapons is play their crappy SP.

How the hell to you beat the level where you have to make it to the airfield? If I take the tank I get one shot by tanks I am guessing. I wouldn't know since they aren't anywhere to be seen. One second I leaving the parking garage and the next second I am blown up in the grass. I then took the other vehicle and same thing. Then I tried on foot and died just about the same spot. There is no chance to react and no visible enemies.

I figured since obviously MP is broken and unplayable I would waste my time with SP since the only way to unlock weapons is play their crappy SP.

How the hell to you beat the level where you have to make it to the airfield? If I take the tank I get one shot by tanks I am guessing. I wouldn't know since they aren't anywhere to be seen. One second I leaving the parking garage and the next second I am blown up in the grass. I then took the other vehicle and same thing. Then I tried on foot and died just about the same spot. There is no chance to react and no visible enemies.

You have to go slow. I took the LAV and sniped the hiding tanks with the TOW.

I saw them just fine. Bug? Have you tried lowering the difficulty? If you only care about unlocking the MP weapons then it makes no difference.

So I have my early 2013 27" iMac with 3.4GHz i7 3770 / 8 gig ram and 2GB 680MX @ 2560x1400. The beta, the game ran like complete shit. Stuttering and rubberbanding everywhere. This setup was playing battlefield 3 at high/medium settings 60+fps just fine.

Is the actual release still fcked or is it playing like BF3 now ?

I planned on getting this for the PC and Xbox One because of the 64 player support on the next gen consoles. I just feel like now, FINALLY these epic games will be just as good ( multiplayer gaming ) wise on the console, if not better, because it'll have a much bigger amount of people playing at any given time.

I saw them just fine. Bug? Have you tried lowering the difficulty? If you only care about unlocking the MP weapons then it makes no difference.

I think the game is just bugged. I am only 5-10 feet outside of the garage after lowering the blocks. Watching some of the walk-thru videos none of them show tanks sitting outside the garage. They usually go 100 feet before they encounter them and after they drive over a couple of small hills in the grass. I don't even get to the first little hill. When they gave me the binoculars early on, they never did anything. I would hold Q and nothing would happen except the prompt to zoom with T would show on the screen.

I just uninstalled and requested and was granted a refund from Origin. I will just wait for the premium edition in a couple months. By then the game should hopefully be better along.

What classes are you guys generally playing? I've been playing Assault quite a bit but I hardly play Conquest because I just get raped by vehicles and snipers...

Support. It was a pain to unlock C4, but it was so, oh so worth it.

About 25% of my deaths are from failed C4 attempts. Yeah, I'm nuts. But swimming to an unaware attack boat and C4 it? Launching a jetski or a RHIB full of C4 at it and watch it burn? :D

In the words if Irish: Burn those motherfuckers!

P.S.: Yes, I drop ammo. ALL THE TIME. It's always ammo time with me.

Use thermals, pick up and RPG-7 and some type of guided anti tank weapon. They should be easy to spot. Shoot one, move back, allow it to self repair, and then shoot the other two. I think there were 3 total.

So played a bit more. Seems like my team always loses the match irrespective the players in it. I have yet to have a crash though and game is stable, fps are through the roof and my hit registeration is much better than it was in BF3. I can actually kill people in an MP fps. How cool is that.

Seems like the crashing/disconnects are getting worse. I thought they had just updated the servers, but I only lasted ~ 15 minutes before the server started lagging. I quit before the game disconnected me/froze. Hopefully my unlocks will save.

Use thermals, pick up and RPG-7 and some type of guided anti tank weapon. They should be easy to spot. Shoot one, move back, allow it to self repair, and then shoot the other two. I think there were 3 total.

Or you know, you could always just run down the left side of the map near the ocean, and skip everything entirely, there's 1 tank you can C4 as you run if you want, its got like a little sea wall that they can't get to you. This SP is more like COD in that, sometimes killing everything isn't the answer, just move on. The level after the airfield though, its just retarted yes, tarted.

I have to say that i am not the least bit impressed by the single player. I actually think it was better in BF3.

Man, the player collision detection was already bad in BF3 and now it's worse in BF4. Always keep on getting pushed out of cover when squad mates choose to spawn near me. Played 9 matches and only won 2, not a fun start so far.

The crashing/disconnects are out of control. I've never played a game this unstable before.

Man, the player collision detection was already bad in BF3 and now it's worse in BF4. Always keep on getting pushed out of cover when squad mates choose to spawn near me.

That's not collision detection, that's the game space. BF4 doesn't let players clip together or in the environment like they did in BF3. In BF3, if you got into a corner and went prone, you clipped through the corner to stay in that spot. In BF4, if you go prone in a corner, you move forward to lay your character model out without clipping through. Same thing when squadmates spawn on you in tight quarters; one of you will be shifted slightly to avoid a clipping problem.

It's a welcome change, IMO.

Besides crying about stuff, what do you guys think of some of the guns? Anything better out there than the M416 at the moment?

Seems like the crashing/disconnects are getting worse. I thought they had just updated the servers, but I only lasted ~ 15 minutes before the server started lagging. I quit before the game disconnected me/froze. Hopefully my unlocks will save.

Patch R4 rolled out for servers early yesterday (Friday) around 11UTC, that made server crashing significantly worse all day yesterday and apparently continuing into today.

Meanwhile I'm still managing to have fun and not getting flustered because this is just standard procedure for the first couple weeks of a new BF release. It's anyone's guess however why lessons learned in BF3 in terms of bugfixing can't simply carry forward into BF4, its like they're starting from scratch every new release. I realize that's probably an oversimplification without knowing any of the technical details but every release same shit. Anyone remember BadCompany2's launch, you couldn't even join MP servers for a long time.

Last edited:
Its a sign your overclocks are not fine.

Not really. There's something in BF4s code that is causing crashes. I had the same issues and had to roll back my GPU overclocks to play. Those same overclocks passed 12 hour furmark and heaven stress tests.

If he was having issues in more than just one game, I'd agree. But given the bugs present, I'd say it is the game on this one.

Besides crying about stuff, what do you guys think of some of the guns? Anything better out there than the M416 at the moment?

...really? No one is "crying". The majority of the posts in this thread are people having issues and other people trying to help. There has been very little whining.

...really? No one is "crying".

I know right? This is text book target audience.

To them everything is "crying" or "whining". Be it constructive criticism, listing bugs/issues or just sharing your opinion.

Last edited:

I like the Galil ACE and the FNC myself.

Patch R4 rolled out for servers early yesterday (Friday) around 11UTC, that made server crashing significantly worse all day yesterday and apparently continuing into today.

Meanwhile I'm still managing to have fun and not getting flustered because this is just standard procedure for the first couple weeks of a new BF release. It's anyone's guess however why lessons learned in BF3 in terms of bugfixing can't simply carry forward into BF4, its like they're starting from scratch every new release. I realize that's probably an oversimplification without knowing any of the technical details but every release same shit. Anyone remember BadCompany2's launch, you couldn't even join MP servers for a long time.

They claim a client side patch is coming soon to address some of the issues. Right now my average time is 15 minutes before a crash. I think I am just going to hold out for a bit and play something else.

Might as well try the SP as it was rather stable for me. You'll finish it in 5 or so hours.

SP was painless, if not satisfying. Got the REX, M249, P90, 95-1 and a couple of bling knives out of it, so not a total waste of time. Actually, the M249 is a pretty good LMG for those of us that enjoy Support.

Anyone got a fix for the flickering smoke? I think it's an SLI thing. I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

SP was painless, if not satisfying. Got the REX, M249, P90, 95-1 and a couple of bling knives out of it, so not a total waste of time. Actually, the M249 is a pretty good LMG for those of us that enjoy Support.

I'll have to finish sp.. i just stopped yet again due to the game crashing. M249 and m240b were my main weapons as a support role in bf3.

I cannot stand the single player in this game (and countless others) because you get penalized for doing too well. I keep getting killed because I am too fast in advancing. I'll clear an area and get shot by magical enemies, and my squad stands still for too long.

I'll have to finish sp.. i just stopped yet again due to the game crashing. M249 and m240b were my main weapons as a support role in bf3.

Can you not unlock these through strict MP play?

That's not collision detection, that's the game space. BF4 doesn't let players clip together or in the environment like they did in BF3. In BF3, if you got into a corner and went prone, you clipped through the corner to stay in that spot. In BF4, if you go prone in a corner, you move forward to lay your character model out without clipping through. Same thing when squadmates spawn on you in tight quarters; one of you will be shifted slightly to avoid a clipping problem.

It's a welcome change, IMO.

Hmm, thanks for the information. It feels glitchy though when the movement occurs... like I am lagging due to a bad connection. I guess I gotta get used to it.

I've played for about 4 hours so far (UK) on about 3 servers (also uk based). In total I've experienced 1 server side crash which threw everyone off the server. No audio of graphics issues, no lag. Mixture of rush and conquest with upto 32 players. Server browser is buggy as hell though (region filters keep resetting )

The rest of the time has been a blast. My mate who I squad up with experienced exactly the same. We both have very different PC's too (see below)

I'm not saying others are not having a woeful experience or anything like that , but I just want people to know that good times are there to be had if you are fortunate enough. I'm loving this game so far.

My PC

i7 4770k at 4.2ghz, 16GB 2133mhz, 280x at stock, on board audio (Realtek) Asus Maximus Hero MB, SSD, windows 8.1 running latest beta version of catalyst drivers and punk buster installed manually and updated for bf4 afterwards. Play at 1920x1200 all settings on high. Running the 64bit BF4. Hyper threading temporarily turned off.

My mates PC

i5 2500k at 4.4ghz, 4GB 1600 mhz mem, 560 GTX at stock with latest drivers, on board audio ( not sure of mb) , windows 7 , 7200 HD based rather than ssd, and and punk buster installed manually and updated for bf4 afterwards. Play at 1920x1200 all settings on med. Running the 64bit BF4

Not really. There's something in BF4s code that is causing crashes. I had the same issues and had to roll back my GPU overclocks to play. Those same overclocks passed 12 hour furmark and heaven stress tests.

If he was having issues in more than just one game, I'd agree. But given the bugs present, I'd say it is the game on this one.
I havent seen others reporting full system crashes.
Its worth him trying a lower overclock as its a great shame to spoil the experience due to that.

I know right? This is text book target audience.

To them everything is "crying" or "whining". Be it constructive criticism, listing bugs/issues or just sharing your opinion.

Bf4 currently is really boring gameplay.
the way they want your action and behaviour to be simply create frustration and anoyance due to how they want people to play it. (not alone thinking that)
shanghai is the best map in the bf series IMO still the gameplay makes or breakes the game. the gameplay is a cloned call of duty. whatever they do at dice its wrong plain and simple.

after playing bf1942 and bf2, the BC2 gameplay is still more fun than Bf3 and Bf4.
its absolutly stunning how wrong a company can go with their own game.
a 3 year old game like bc2 still beats the recent bf4.
amazing bad decison making at dice.

Are there ANY big maps in BF4? There is so much shit everywhere and the maps are so tight that I'm in a firefight every 20 seconds.

The game is literally unplayable for me now. Was working pretty well on launch day, but I just had 6 games in a row either crash or disconnect. I'm done with this game until it's patched and stable.

Are there ANY big maps in BF4? There is so much shit everywhere and the maps are so tight that I'm in a firefight every 20 seconds.

There is nothing like the Armored Kill maps in BF4 but I'm sure the expansions will bring something along those lines. Right now the closest ones are Dawnbreaker and Railway. Paracel Storm is pretty big too but not if you are only counting land..

The game is literally unplayable for me now. Was working pretty well on launch day, but I just had 6 games in a row either crash or disconnect. I'm done with this game until it's patched and stable.

DICE has responded with some suggestions while they patch the problems :

Known Battlefield 4 Issues and Next Steps

Since the launch of Battlefield 4, some fans playing online have been experiencing various issues with the game. Thanks to your feedback, many of these problems have been resolved, but there are still a number of bugs that we are actively working on. Below you will find a list of some of the resolved issues, as well as some of the issues we are prioritizing at the moment and what we’re doing to address them.

Game crashes and freezes
ELIMINATED AS WE IDENTIFY THEM
Players on all formats have been experiencing game crashes and freezes while playing. We have logs of the most frequently occurring client crashes, and we are actively working to Obliterate the cause of these crashes in upcoming updates.

Note that crashes come in different types, and therefore this is technically not one single issue. There are two kinds of crashes and two types of updates that can address them: server-side updates that we can release on the fly (four of these have already been released since launch), and game client updates that require more in-depth testing and certification before they can go live.

We have found and eliminated some of the server-side crashes on PC in the latest server update (version R4) that went live November 1. There is also a planned client update on PC in the near future where we are aiming to eliminate as many of the client-related crashes as possible.

Continue to read the full post on Battlelog or AHQ.

Additionally, I have compiled a couple of fixes that were provided by fellow players in this thread. These are in no way solutions to every issue out there, but you may want to give these a try in the meantime.

1. Turn on Borderless Window (In Game Options > Video)

2. If the game locks with looping sound and you need to kill the process via the task manager.

There is no clear cut workaround, but here is a list of things that have helped in some instances.

Nvidia – Reverting to older drivers - GTX 690 - 331.65 crashed non-stop. 331.40 beta from sept and in 3 hrs not one crash. Another player mentioned that rolling back to 331.58 stopped his crashes.
Setting In-game audio to headphones.
Disabling NVIDIA High Definition Audio (Single Player)
Run as administrator (for BF4 and BF4x86). You could also try changing security permissions on the origin games folder giving users full control instead of just read
Nvidia Control Panel > Configure Surround > PhysX > PhysX settings > select your graphics card. Then Origin > Repair Install, played all day without crashing. Another confirmation and another.
Punkbuster Uninstall / Reinstall
Microsoft Visual C++ x64 and x86 versions of 2010 and 2012 uninstall. Reinstall with Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 Second Confirmation

3. ERROR - Could not communicate with BF4. Please use the Task Manager to close it down.

Workaround: Reboot (if process is not killable)

4. DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with "DxGi_error_Device_Hung" / Vram memory filling up

Lowering settings from ultra/high to medium in x64 or low in x86 fixes the issue, always happening when Vram fills up to about 1.6 GB of VRAM.DirectX updates/fixes mentioned did not help. Confirmation by another player
Stopping overclocking on Video card - SP only (e.g. GTX460)

5. Game crashed showing a black screen and only the cursor after deployment of the soldier

Apparently, hitting more than once the deploy button, clicking twice or more for instance, triggers the crash. Hit only once the deploy button. You should be ok, it works every time in my case. Confirmed by another player

6. Loading screen Shanghai

Workaround: Disable “Read-only” attribute in the BF4 Installation “Update” folder and confirm any notification popping up.

7. Black Screen

New windows user account (with Admin)

8. Browser crashing correlation?

Using Battlelog with Firefox instead of chrome, no more crashing - First and second Confirmation – Note that there are also 3 other reports stating that this did not help them.

9. Launching BF4 with x64 from Origin

Inside Origin, right-click BF4. Choose Game Properties > Set to x64 when launching this game. - No more crashing for me, had been crashing every game before.

Give those a shot.

Is it me or are the assault rifles absurdly overpowered? I typically don't play assault at all but I just switched over for a map and it felt like I was shooting laser beams that just instantly disintegrate everything.

The rampant team stacking and KDR whores are still the bane of this game. I try to be the good guy and help out the underdog team but then people just instantly switch over and stack it right back up. Pffft.

Is it me or are the assault rifles absurdly overpowered? I typically don't play assault at all but I just switched over for a map and it felt like I was shooting laser beams that just instantly disintegrate everything.

It's not you. That remains unchanged from BF3. That and LMG sucking more than a vacuum cleaner.

The rampant team stacking and KDR whores are still the bane of this game. I try to be the good guy and help out the underdog team but then people just instantly switch over and stack it right back up. Pffft.

Welcome to the new generation of BF players. Target audience.

I had a 35-2 game on Lancang Dam (started with a 33 kill run in the mobile AA) that locked up earlier today, server and all, losing everything. I just got out of a game on Flood Zone where I had another 31 kill run in the LAV and the server crashed this time with just 12 fucking tickets remaining on the enemy team.

But yeah, any time the teams are stacked to hell and there's no squad or team work the game is the most stable thing in the world. Thanks for saving all the shitty games!

Back