Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

You've used these?

Currently using (present tense) these but mostly Nvidia Inspector.

GPU-Z though does have a Sensors tab that has temps, load, fan speed, etc. and they all seem to work fine.

Currently using (present tense) these but mostly Nvidia Inspector.

GPU-Z though does have a Sensors tab that has temps, load, fan speed, etc. and they all seem to work fine.

I'm sorry, I think I worded my question wrong.

I'm looking for something that offers on screen display of the data.

Hmmm not sure if it's worth continuing to play until these server issues are resolved...there seems to be a high probability that the server will crash and dump you without your stats getting recorded. : /

lowest common denominator consoles in mind.

VERY TRUE

Not true at all considering that all maps are now designed with 64 players in mind. The new consoles were the target platforms, with corresponding benefits that carry over to the PC.

Not true at all considering that all maps are now designed with 64 players in mind. The new consoles were the target platforms, with corresponding benefits that carry over to the PC.

He's right and you just agreed with him. New consoles or not, they're still holding us back. Can't you see that? It's better but it could have been even better if not for the consoles slowing us down like shackles.

Compare these maps with the ones from BF2 and it's painfully clear they were designed with consoles in mind.

I read a tip on the BL forums regarding crashes. Apparently if you OC an AMD card it will crash out. I tested this and it fixed my stability issues. Kinda sucks, but yeah, worth a shot.

Never had stability issues with my 7950 oc'd. As soon as I switch to an OC profile, BF4 shuts down. My errors were based around an instruction set being sent, so it might be a code issue they need to fix.

Also, I did the Win7 core unpark and I'm now getting an extra 15-20fps. I was getting around 30-40 in SP with OC on, now I get around 55-65. This is with the OC turned off on my card, so there's room for growth once they fix it.

@spidey, did you disable hyperthreading as well or just the core unpark?

Last night, I went through DICE's suggested fixes and did the repair (no issues found) and updated PunkBuster: so far, no issues. Haven't crashed out and no noticeable rubberbanding. Was even able to play Lockdown which was one of the maps I crashed on a lot.

Its probably just been pure luck in my case, though.

@spidey, did you disable hyperthreading as well or just the core unpark?

Just core unpark.

Before I was running on high settings with postaa off. Now I'm running on high and ultra combined, woth texture oversampling set to 125%. My frame rate is still higher than before I turned off core unpark.

i assume the way to check if you have cores parked is in Resource Monitor > CPU and it will say something like 'CPU 1 - Parked'? does this have to be checked while in game?

Just played operation locker. Dumbest fucking map ever. Much worse than Metro.

How long did you play it for? And what qualifies you to give such an expert and detailed review of this level? Your description and wordplay during your review had me on the edge of my seat about to poop myself.

Actually, I quite enjoy that map, destructible walls, multiple assault points, multiple choke points. For some close quarters action out of the box it's good at what it does.

All I am doing is sending angry tweets to battlefield.

I know the game is awesome when it works. I am frustrated that it doesn't.

How long did you play it for? And what qualifies you to give such an expert and detailed review of this level? Your description and wordplay during your review had me on the edge of my seat about to poop myself.

Actually, I quite enjoy that map, destructible walls, multiple assault points, multiple choke points. For some close quarters action out of the box it's good at what it does.

How in the world is it worse than Metro? So many routes, multiple levels...its pretty awesome.

Too bad the game has a lot of technical issues at the moment, but the map is just fine.

Just saw this on battlelog.
NOTICE: WE ARE CURRENTLY ROLLING OUT NEW GAME SERVERS TO ADDRESS STABILITY ISSUES, WHILE SERVERS ARE UPDATED YOU MIGHT BE DISCONNECTED FROM YOUR CURRENT GAME

Last edited:

This happens to be one of my favorite maps, it's a blast with shotguns. I'm baffled that so many people refuse to use shotguns on close-quarters levels, then proceed to whine about the people that do -- shotguns SHOULD be good at close range, it's what they're meant for. I highly recommend giving it a try.

How is the single player campaign at the moment? Is it stable enough to play through? Is the crashing just limited to the MP?

Thinking of playing it since I get a crash so frequently in MP at the moment.

He's right and you just agreed with him. New consoles or not, they're still holding us back. Can't you see that?

No, he isn't right, because he agreed with the concept of consoles as the lowest common denominator. Considering that the game is also available on the PS3 and 360, then they would be the lowest common denominator with the same restrictions as BF3; namely, maps designed for 32 players.

The fact that the consoles are now in line with the PC by having maps designed for 64 players, and the resulting technical advancements in Frostbite 3 that people are now complaining about, tells us that the entire concept of "lowest common denominator" can be tossed out the window when it comes to this game, because no such thing happened.

Making a console your lead platform is not the same as crippling the PC version. This ain't Borderlands 1.

Honestly, the console racism and paranoia around here is pretty silly.

How is the single player campaign at the moment? Is it stable enough to play through?

It's only 7 missions, but yes, it's 100% stable. You shouldn't have a problem playing single. The only real reason to do so, IMO, is to unlock guns for multiplayer.

I checked last night and my HDD was 11% fragmented, it was at 0% before I installed BF4. LOL Maybe that will help a bit with cpu utilization?

How is the single player campaign at the moment? Is it stable enough to play through? Is the crashing just limited to the MP?

I've had crashes, but it's playable. I just beat it. It's very short. I think the credits are longer than the campaign. :p

Very very COD like. Corridor, no real open levels. If they're going to continue with the SP, I wish they'd strike out on their own path. Let their engine speak, allow the player to decide the route. Stealth or action.

I checked last night and my HDD was 11% fragmented, it was at 0% before I installed BF4. LOL Maybe that will help a bit with cpu utilization?

Newp. It just takes less time for the head to reach the data, but doesn't affect the cpu at all.

Besides, the map and assets are read from the disk and loaded entirely into memory, so your disk is doing very little after the game is loaded.

No crashing in single player for me. Just audio cutting out. But that makes it unplayable to me.

I played the campaign for the first time today. An hour into it my pc froze. I haven't tried since, maybe tomorrow.

No, he isn't right, because he agreed with the concept of consoles as the lowest common denominator. Considering that the game is also available on the PS3 and 360, then they would be the lowest common denominator with the same restrictions as BF3; namely, maps designed for 32 players.

The fact that the consoles are now in line with the PC by having maps designed for 64 players, and the resulting technical advancements in Frostbite 3 that people are now complaining about, tells us that the entire concept of "lowest common denominator" can be tossed out the window when it comes to this game, because no such thing happened.

Making a console your lead platform is not the same as crippling the PC version. This ain't Borderlands 1.

Honestly, the console racism and paranoia around here is pretty silly.

It's only 7 missions, but yes, it's 100% stable. You shouldn't have a problem playing single. The only real reason to do so, IMO, is to unlock guns for multiplayer.

Not to mention outside of hardware enthusiasts most peoples computers are crappier for gaming than their consoles!

Blaming consoles is a non starter, I'm rather pissed pay for DLC, highlighted items in adventure games, auto-saves, freemium design, long cut scenes and other PC gaming foibles have crept into consoles making those games worse. But it was inevitable because the entire gaming industry has been moving in the same direction for some time. Things are just going for the lowest common demoninator to push more copies because making games is expensive and only getting more so as technology improves. It's an unavoidable trend sadly.

Last edited:
i assume the way to check if you have cores parked is in Resource Monitor > CPU and it will say something like 'CPU 1 - Parked'? does this have to be checked while in game?

Not entirely sure, but if you haven't turned it off then it's most likely on. There's a registry key that you need to search for and change. This is for Win7, as Win8 apparently handles core parking better.

CORE PARKING FIX (Courtesy of community member "criskoe")

1. Open regedit.exe
2. Go to Edit >> Find
3. Select "Look At" -> Keys (deselect Values and Data for faster search)
4. Search for 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583
5. Change ValueMax from 64 to 0.
5a. Repeat step 3 thru 5 until there's no more keys with the value set at 64. I had to change 2.
6. Shut down your computer and do a cold start

No crashing in single player for me. Just audio cutting out. But that makes it unplayable to me.

I had this too. Apparently this bug goes back to BF3 but I never had it then. To fix go in the Battlefield 4 Folder in My Documents.

Under the settings folder there should be a file named PROFSAVE_profile

Open it in a text editor and change the line GstAudio.AudioQuality 1 (or whatever number it is set to) to GstAudio.AudioQuality 4

This should stop the audio from cutting out.

I had this too. Apparently this bug goes back to BF3 but I never had it then. To fix go in the Battlefield 4 Folder in My Documents.

Open it in a text editor and change the line GstAudio.AudioQuality 1 (or whatever number it is set to) to GstAudio.AudioQuality 4

Yeah. Had those audio issues in BF3 and Warfighter. There's a lot of old bugs they never bothered fixing. Seems to be that EA relies on the community to find work-arounds so they don't have to provide the fix.

As someone else mentioned, it will have zero to do with the CPU usage.

It will affect the speed of level loading a little, depending on how fragmented the files are.

I ran into a different issue entirely. For some reason my Hard drive was thrashing up a storm while playing causing my mouse to lag every time the hard drive light came on. It seemed odd because I have 16GB of RAM and that entire game should have loaded into memory.

I checked pagefile settings and it had ballooned to 16GB letting Windows manage it. On top of that it got heavily fragmented. I set it to a fixed 4GB which deleted the fragmented portion. Defraged the HDD, and that problem went away.

Pretty damned good for what it is. I had one crash that I couldn't fully account for.

Yeah, I had the audio crashing issue in BF3, none of the fixes I found worked, including the one you mention.

I eventually (after several clean installs of BF3 AND Windows) did a clean install, disabled windows update, and it magically went away. I've kept the same windows isntall since, and BF4 is now giving me problems. I'm not going through that whole process with BF4 again. I'll just uninstall, call it a sunk cost, and never do the Battlefield thing again.

So weird I never had the sound issue on any BF game , what are you using for a sound card?

I've had crashes, but it's playable. I just beat it. It's very short. I think the credits are longer than the campaign. :p

Very very COD like. Corridor, no real open levels. If they're going to continue with the SP, I wish they'd strike out on their own path. Let their engine speak, allow the player to decide the route. Stealth or action.

I just finished it. I had one crash, and luckily just after I started a mission so not much time was lost. Overall it felt solid and better than BF3's campaign. It wasn't anything special, but it wasn't terrible either.

It wasn't as linear as BF3 as you did have weapon choices and in some parts the option of using a vehicle or going on foot.

I am going to wait for the next patch before I go into MP again. I just got 26 kills with the Galil and unlocked smoke grenades, but it looks like those were all lost with a crash. Which I find interesting. Wouldn't the unlocks save to the HDD/SSD as they progress? I was looking forward to unlocking the flashbang grenade. It can add an interesting twist to the gameplay, or I would think.

Anyone else also find the pistol unlock requirements to be insane? I'd like to give the CZ-75 and HK a try, but they require 35K and 57K or so respectively. So far I only have obtained 17 total kills with pistols. Unless there are pistol only servers I don't see myself or anyone else playing seriously to unlock much past the first 2-3 pistols.

Not a fan of the Battlepacks either. They are a bit rare (after every level up?) and a lot of the attachments and camos are held within them. I guess they are more or less designed for some people to just spend money and buy a few...

as usual I just saw my first colonel today.
38 0 score
Wow he was using a pistol, must be a great player
LOL

Now I'm getting full computer reboots when trying to play. It was all fine until today. Campaign crashes about twice a mission and now my pc crashes and sometimes reboots in multiplayer :\

I figure my overclocks are fine as I never had an issue before. It's starting to become unplayable.

Now I'm getting full computer reboots when trying to play. It was all fine until today. Campaign crashes about twice a mission and now my pc crashes and sometimes reboots in multiplayer :\

I figure my overclocks are fine as I never had an issue before. It's starting to become unplayable.

Its a sign your overclocks are not fine.

I was getting hard lockups in the single player(forcing you to restart the entire mission every time), but I read somewhere to just turn down the graphics. Well, I took everything off ultra and put them all on low, didn't have a single crash after that.

you arnt missing anything, singleplayer blows worse then BF3's.

Back