Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

It seems some are having good results and some are having bad and/or terrible results. This game has only crashed one time for me and that was when I tried single player, and it was right at the beginning part so i didn't care that much. Multiplayer started with me seeing a disco light show, so I re-installed the display drivers, which ended up fixing it. This game runs so much better than beta. Where I was getting 40-60 FPS, i'm not getting 90+ FPS. Half the guys I play with have their game crash on shanghai when the building falls, but I don't have a problem with it.

All in all, it seems a lot are having kind of a crappy experience while others aren't having any problems.

My specs if anyone is interested:
i7 920 @ 3.8G
GTX670
Windows 7
12GB RAM @ 1600

I play on Low to keep the highest frames possible. In beta I was getting 45-60 FPS and now i'm getting 90+.

My gripes so far:
1. No godamn queue for servers. It was in beta, it's in BF3... wtf ea? Why did you strip this out for retail? Really doesn't make sense to me.
2. Filter is still not working right on the server browser. I don't know why they can't build a good server browser. I try to filter by Hardcore server and apparently there are none. It seems you have to find them based on the name of the server since they usually include a HARDCORE tag.
3. Engi rocket launcher doesn't make much sense. Half the time it tries to guide to my target while other times it shots in the direction I fire it. I'm not quite sure how it works. I haven't taken the time to look it up. Sometimes I shoot a tank that happens to be under a balcony or something and the rocket decides to become a javelin right before it hits the target, which ends up hitting the balcony and the tank receives zero damage. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

That's all I've experienced in the few hours I've been able to play. I was having a ton of fun and I was overlooking the issues above. I'm sure EA will get them sorted out and hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

It seems some are having good results and some are having bad and/or terrible results. This game has only crashed one time for me and that was when I tried single player, and it was right at the beginning part so i didn't care that much. Multiplayer started with me seeing a disco light show, so I re-installed the display drivers, which ended up fixing it. This game runs so much better than beta. Where I was getting 40-60 FPS, i'm not getting 90+ FPS. Half the guys I play with have their game crash on shanghai when the building falls, but I don't have a problem with it.

All in all, it seems a lot are having kind of a crappy experience while others aren't having any problems.

My specs if anyone is interested:
i7 920 @ 3.8G
GTX670
Windows 7
12GB RAM @ 1600

I play on Low to keep the highest frames possible. In beta I was getting 45-60 FPS and now i'm getting 90+.

My gripes so far:
1. No godamn queue for servers. It was in beta, it's in BF3... wtf ea? Why did you strip this out for retail? Really doesn't make sense to me.
2. Filter is still not working right on the server browser. I don't know why they can't build a good server browser. I try to filter by Hardcore server and apparently there are none. It seems you have to find them based on the name of the server since they usually include a HARDCORE tag.
3. Engi rocket launcher doesn't make much sense. Half the time it tries to guide to my target while other times it shots in the direction I fire it. I'm not quite sure how it works. I haven't taken the time to look it up. Sometimes I shoot a tank that happens to be under a balcony or something and the rocket decides to become a javelin right before it hits the target, which ends up hitting the balcony and the tank receives zero damage. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

That's all I've experienced in the few hours I've been able to play. I was having a ton of fun and I was overlooking the issues above. I'm sure EA will get them sorted out and hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

What resolution are you running at? I have similar specs, 2600k@ 4ghz, and 16 gigs of ram, same video card, windows 8.1
at 2560x1440 I was quite suprised at how smoothe the game ran.

Everything was fine early yesterday morning. Played several rounds with no problems. Got home last night and it was crash city. Couldn't stay in a map longer than 5 minutes before screen went black and I had to power cycle the PC. Did this several times. Weird.

I'm in the same boat.

I can't get through one round without crashing, Judging from the official EA forums I am not alone. http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefiel...s-crashing-on-PC/td-p/1724995/highlight/false

Specs:
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.3GHz
16GB ram
GTX 580 SLI @2560X1600
Driver V. 331.65
Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
Error Message:
"DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to
badly formed commands sent by the application. This is a design-time
issue that should be investigated and fixed. "). GPU: "NVIDIA GeForce
GTX 580", Driver: 33165"

I'm also getting BF4.exe errors when I don't get the DX message.

I have tried non SLI as well to no avail. Everything is smooth in game and then I get a random freeze and back to desktop after forcing it to close via task manager. Only one time did I get a BSOD.

Is there a way to change my account name? what is shown in game.

What resolution are you running at? I have similar specs, 2600k@ 4ghz, and 16 gigs of ram, same video card, windows 8.1
at 2560x1440 I was quite suprised at how smoothe the game ran.

I'm only running at 1080. I'm surprised how smooth it is too compared to the beta. I'll most likely be upgrading my system here soon to try and increase the graphics a little bit but I am not sure yet.

Given the notes listed above about issues in 7 with respect to AMD CPUs, are there any benches showing Intel procs on W7 vs W8? This may finally be the game to get me to use the W8 key that's been laying around...

I can't get through one round without crashing, Judging from the official EA forums I am not alone. http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefiel...s-crashing-on-PC/td-p/1724995/highlight/false

Specs:
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.3GHz
16GB ram
GTX 580 SLI @2560X1600
Driver V. 331.65
Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
Error Message:

I have tried non SLI as well to no avail. Everything is smooth in game and then I get a random freeze and back to desktop after forcing it to close via task manager. Only one time did I get a BSOD.

Yep, not sure what the hell happened. Screen will go black but I still have audio. Was fine yesterday morning.

Played for 3 hours last night. The server crashed once, but no client crashes for me. I did have some video card artifacts, but that was from pushing my GPU memory too high. Dropped that down and no other issues.

Specs:
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.3GHz
16GB ram
GTX 580 SLI @2560X1600
Driver V. 331.65
Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
Error Message:

Are your cards overclocked? I was getting the same device hung error in the beta on my crossfired 7970's until I upped the voltage on them. Every other game and benchmark seemed fine at my oc/voltage setting until BF4, I bumped my Lightnings from 1130mV to 1165mV and no more device hung crashes.

Same here, I think I'm going to give this new COD game a try. I haven't played one since COD 4.

As for the screen tearing, that is not a game issue, that's a data transfer issue with your monitor and video card(s)

yeah, i just play it with vsync so that the refresh rate of my monitor doesn't cause an issue. I don't have a fancy 120hz monitor so that's ok.

Are your cards overclocked? I was getting the same device hung error in the beta on my crossfired 7970's until I upped the voltage on them. Every other game and benchmark seemed fine at my oc/voltage setting until BF4, I bumped my Lightnings from 1130mV to 1165mV and no more device hung crashes.

Negative. The DX error happened maybe 2 times. I had 1 BSOD, but 95% of the time it's a BF4.exe error.

Faulting application name: bf4.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52668dcb
Faulting module name: bf4.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52668dcb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000ecb89f
Faulting process id: 0x1268
Faulting application start time: 0x01ced57ca4177f5a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\bf4.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\bf4.exe
Report Id: a685c746-4171-11e3-9929-bcaec574d71f

I did have some video card artifacts, but that was from pushing my GPU memory too high. Dropped that down and no other issues.

I bought a 760 overclocked from oem and had to load a program on to lower my oc just a bit and all the artifacts went away - it was unplayable but okay now.

Most of the issues is not our local PC's. It's server side issues that is affecting all of us. I can play for 2 hours, no issues. Switch servers and I get the rubberbanding, audio in and out, server reboots, etc.

EA should really extend the beta for at least 4-6 weeks and get these kinks worked out.

I think its a memory shill because he only compared DDR3 1333 to DDR3 2133.
No DDR3 1600 baseline, he could easily have tested that as well.
Giving us the results was after all, the point of his thread.

Exactly - we already know there's a gigantic jump from 1333 to 1600. That is an absolutely worthless comparison. I don't know of anybody running 1333 that's an enthusiast. 1666 is the barebones minimum. That said, I was able to clock my 1866/C9 stuff to 2133/C10 last night successfully. Just couldn't get C9 no matter what I tried.

Dice needs to fix the server issue stat. What ever they patched yesterday screwed the game up bad.

Oh lordy I stayed up till 3am last night playing. 5 hours later and I'm at work. For the most part it was pretty smooth for me. I did get rubber banding on one server. Went away after I Switched servers. Every other map or so the game will crash on the loading screen and I'll just have to reload the game.

Other then that this game runs great. Getting 45-60fps Everything on Ultra with aa and post processing turned off. 2500k @4.5g 7970 on stock @1600p resolution.

god I am tired.

Punkbuster updates do seem to be an issue in BF4 so far. People reporting issues should try manually updating Punkbuster to see if that helps.

After my rather dissatisfying set of rounds last night (due mostly to lag) I checked the manual setup and there was no PB information at all for BF4 after installation (and I went with the DVD version to save big $$$ at Best Buy). I manually added and updated so I'm hoping that has an impact.

Sounds good, I'm on a 2500k which is not much worse than a 3570 and I'm planning on buying a GTX 770 (or a 280x), I'd still go for a 4GB version though as long as they don't cost a lot.

Yeah if i was buying new card I would def get a card with 4GB just to play it safe, I think if I was playing it at any resolution higher then 1080p I would be running out of vmemory so luckily I only have a 25 inch monitor, but still looks awesome.

Punkbuster updates do seem to be an issue in BF4 so far. People reporting issues should try manually updating Punkbuster to see if that helps.

Unless it's changed since yesterday, serverhosts were reporting that PB and the new one (can't remember the name) are not currently in operation.

I played roughly 4 hours last night and enjoyed every game. For some reason I was able to do 3-4 games in a row with 40-50 kills and only 6-7 deaths. I've never been able to do this in BF3. Situations where I usually get frustrated because I shoot a guy and he doesn't die didn't happen while I played last night. Hopefully it's no a fluke and they fixed stuff... time will tell.

Just played some more. Seems a little smoother but there is still hitching during MP even though the frame rate stays pretty high.

Where do you guys have your network smoothing slider at?

I've tried it at 0, 15, 30 and 50.... On a server I ping 50 to with my 25down/10up connection.

I honestly have a hard time seeing a difference.

Any input on this?

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1040330514 said:
Where do you guys have your network smoothing slider at?

I've tried it at 0, 15, 30 and 50.... On a server I ping 50 to with my 25down/10up connection.

I honestly have a hard time seeing a difference.

Any input on this?

I set it at 0%. Hit detection becomes more aggravating the higher it goes.

Any thoughts from BF players since BF1942? I really want to play this but have a feeling its going to be more of the same.

Loved BF1942, liked BF2 a lot, didn't play much of BF2142 because of the threat of in game advertising at the time, didn't get into BF:BC2 due to enjoying other games more and just didn't like BF3.

What I have I played in the BF franchise: BF1942, BF:V, BF2, and a modern desert mod that I forget the name of. I did not play BF3.

I have not played an FPS in quite a few years, so some of this is me getting the twitch feel back. That and I am playing on a laptop, though the laptop is higher end. Well it was when I built it ...i7 SandyBridge, 8GB Ram, AMD 6970, SSD, and some other goodies. Though it needs updated...Note: the game runs pretty smooth on this and I have only had a couple lock ups, which appear to be unrelated to my system. I also experienced a slight bit of rubber banding, but only on one of the maps. (The one with the vacant tank factories.)

OK, I've played about 8 hours so far, here are my thoughts:
It still feels like a BF game to me. I have literally walked up to someone, unloaded on them, just to see them turn around and 1 shot me. I have also done the same to others. This was very common in BF1942 and it feels like the underlying code hasn't been fixed. The game is fun and I will play it for a bit, but I will also be buying GHOSTS and see how that goes.

Man, I'm really torn on whether or not I should spring for this or not. I actually like the SP component of these military shooters, so I'd definitely play through that. Despite all the negative press the SP has gotten, I like graphics, set pieces, and visual spectacle more than most, so I imagine I'd like it just fine.

I'm just not sure how much I'll play the MP. I got 145 hours out of BF3 MP, and that was a lot for me. Any votes? :confused:

I'm just not sure how much I'll play the MP. I got 145 hours out of BF3 MP, and that was a lot for me. Any votes? :confused:

If you enjoyed BF3 (it sounds like you did), I think you'll enjoy BF4. The only issue you may have is that it does feel quite similar.

If you enjoyed BF3 (it sounds like you did), I think you'll enjoy BF4. The only issue you may have is that it does feel quite similar.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1040330956 said:
Just get it, you have a nice rig, it's worth it IMO.

I've heard the unlocks are quite a bit different. I didn't care for the unlock system in BF3 for the same reasons DICE admitted that it was terrible. Does this new unlock system feel more or less grindy?

I've heard the unlocks are quite a bit different. I didn't care for the unlock system in BF3 for the same reasons DICE admitted that it was terrible. Does this new unlock system feel more or less grindy?

If by grindy you mean you have to actually play with the weapon class you want to unlock more of....then yes.

Back