Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

Artifacts.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af73/Flogger23m/bf42013-10-2821-07-52-75_zps80f18067.jpg

Latest Nvidia drivers. BF3 was working fine just hours ago, so I am assuming it as a BF4 issue.

I have the same issue, it was a flicker of disco colour for those texture panels. Also the framerate was about 50% worse than BF3 at the same settings. Though, I was not using today's Game Ready driver. Just installed that so will be trying again.

Despite that issue, I toughed it out in my first game because I didn't like to "quit" (the only thing I was Top 1% In The World in BF3 was my 3% Quits stat :cool: ). Also had to play as Recon because I planned on using DMRs for all kits.

CQB + bolt-action sniper rifle + iron sights + disco graphics = not fun :( Ended up getting more kills with the pistol than the rifle :rolleyes:

I've been playing since noon. I think I've had the game lock up twice since then. Been smooth sailing besides that.

Last edited:
Running the latest NV drivers and had no issues. The only "issue" I had was when I would get into a certain type of tank, the sound would cut-out but ONLY in that 1 type of vehicle so I figure its just a glitch.

Played for nearly an hour without any issues. 69 FPS @ 1440p w/ a GTX780 1228mhz//6100mhz on ULTRA settings w/ 4x MSAA.

Avg: 69.124 - Min: 48 - Max: 82

How? I stay at 40-70 FPS with the same setup... except TWO 780's at 1200mhz/6700mhz

Anyone having trouble with ambient noise? It feels relatively dead compared to BF3 sometimes until a major sound effect hits.

Loading times up the whazzoo. Sometimes infinite or 5-10 minute load times for anything. Seriously... what is alpha/beta for anymore these days.

Exact problems I had with the beta. I wonder if they (Dice) need to apply the hotfixes they released for that, as it did fix my issues there.

Hopefully a patch drops tomorrow.

One thing annoys me that was also in the beta - the CX4. A 9mm that recoils more than a 12 gauge. :rolleyes: I've seen 9 year old girls handle recoil better. I don't want to play as a 9 year old girl in BF4. I wonder what went through that developers head as they implemented it.

I think im done buying games at launch or prelaunch. THis is pathetic. Anything from server freezes, to servers with no sound, to extreme lag. Embarassing

Looks to me like your system is embarassing. Played for hours with no problems, both single player and Multi, at 2560x1440 with full Ultra settings with SLI Titans.

Derp.

Looks to me like your system is embarassing. Played for hours with no problems, both single player and Multi, at 2560x1440 with full Ultra settings with SLI Titans.

Derp.

Doubtful. I am getting the no sound issue, which was introduced in a BF3 patch by the way. Seems like DICE never fixed it in Frostbite 2 and since carried it over to Frostbite 3.

Overall, this game is rather shitty. For the aforementioned garbage shooting mechanics, for one. I believe DICE developers are both limp wristed pussys with gender identity issues and functionally retarded when it comes to making things logical. For a game in near 2014 and one that focuses a lot on shooting, they really fucked up with airsoft grade damage recoiling like elephant guns. Anyone who thinks these garbage mechanics are good needs to ventilate themselves. Now.

UI is utter trash and straight console port. BF3's UI was far superior from a function and looks standpoint. Lots of things like your kill/death ratio, your best weapon/vehicle for the round, and all of your progress is simply not shown. Instead you get your top 3 progress bars - as if we don't have a mouse to scroll down to see all of our class/weapon progression. :rolleyes:

Also, no need to point your weapon at the enemy - because they may hit anyways. Yes, the horrible out of sync animations are back, and even worse than BF3. Enjoy having someone aiming 3 feet to the right of you only for their rounds to magically guide into you. It feels like BF2 (not 3... but like BF2) all over again with that god awful hit detection and syncing.

Tank shells have the range of a retarded 13 year old attempting to throw a baseball. When you make a game where the 120mm MBT guns are less accurate than the coax, its time to quit the industry and start cleaning shitters at McDonalds. Or quit life; only two options really. Sheer bad game design and general stupidity. This game was clearly dumbed down to target the average moron gamer who likes garbage mechanics.

Someone should take the limp wristed pussy dev that decided to implement the garbage weapon mechanics, put him at 25 meters, and then have someone who is competent empty 3 rounds into him. If they're pointing at the sky when done, gay mechanics stay. If there are 3 entry wounds in the dev, then the mechanics change. Seems fair enough for me. :D

Overall, piece of shit that you would think they would have fixed since the beta but didn't. I wish I did not spend money on it, but given the state of the industry (not many games even worth playing for free) I foolishly bought it anyways.

Last edited:
IMO, theres just way too many tanks in this game now. Every map ive played that's conquest is tank superiority. Easily 4-5 tanks on both sides, everytime you spawn thers a tank right in your face. a few hours into multiplayer and its sad that I actually want to go play CQ BF3. Shame, there used to be a nice balance, now you have 4-5 guys on both sides just whoring it up with tanks and it almost makes the game unplayable. I get it, theres players that play this game 24/7. There just needs to be a better balance. 2 tanks tops on both sides

Like most of you, I'm just waiting to play this for now but have 2 question.

1. Couple of weeks ago, I read something like people are getting better fps with Windows 8 than Windows 7? Is this still the truth? Or was it ever?

2. Again, I was browsing through some random forums and saw BF4 is using more than 8GB of ram? I think it was close to 9GB. Is this true? will there be performance hit if you have 8GB?

Thanks

I can't answer your first question, but in regard to your memory usage question: the most I've seen BF4 use on my system is close to 2 gigs. They might have been referring to total system usage.

only, im not the only one noticing things. Sorry my PC isn't top of the line as of 10/29 like it was about a year ago. Chump

and LMAO at two titans. you're such a badass dude, what a waste

Doubtful. I am getting the no sound issue, which was introduced in a BF3 patch by the way. Seems like DICE never fixed it in Frostbite 2 and since carried it over to Frostbite 3.

Overall, this game is rather shitty. For the aforementioned garbage shooting mechanics, for one. I believe DICE developers are both limp wristed pussys with gender identity issues and functionally retarded when it comes to making things logical. For a game in near 2014 and one that focuses a lot on shooting, they really fucked up with airsoft grade damage recoiling like elephant guns. Anyone who thinks these garbage mechanics are good needs to ventilate themselves. Now.

UI is utter trash and straight console port. BF3's UI was far superior from a function and looks standpoint. Lots of things like your kill/death ratio, your best weapon/vehicle for the round, and all of your progress is simply not shown. Instead you get your top 3 progress bars - as if we don't have a mouse to scroll down to see all of our class/weapon progression. :rolleyes:

Also, no need to point your weapon at the enemy - because they may hit anyways. Yes, the horrible out of sync animations are back, and even worse than BF3. Enjoy having someone aiming 3 feet to the right of you only for their rounds to magically guide into you. It feels like BF2 (not 3... but like BF2) all over again with that god awful hit detection and syncing.

Tank shells have the range of a retarded 13 year old attempting to throw a baseball. When you make a game where the 120mm MBT guns are less accurate than the coax, its time to quit the industry and start cleaning shitters at McDonalds. Or quit life; only two options really. Sheer bad game design and general stupidity. This game was clearly dumbed down to target the average moron gamer who likes garbage mechanics.

Someone should take the limp wristed pussy dev that decided to implement the garbage weapon mechanics, put him at 25 meters, and then have someone who is competent empty 3 rounds into him. If they're pointing at the sky when done, gay mechanics stay. If there are 3 entry wounds in the dev, then the mechanics change. Seems fair enough for me. :D

Overall, piece of shit that you would think they would have fixed since the beta but didn't. I wish I did not spend money on it, but given the state of the industry (not many games even worth playing for free) I foolishly bought it anyways.

Hmmm amusing, you kick started a shitstorm like Takedown so that doesn't say much but most of your rant is out of emotion. As for the tank comment you made, if they made the tank shells like heatseeking howitzers with deadly accuracy from across the map that could LOLWTFPWN everything, they would be ridiculously overpowered so yeah they're fine the way they are.

BF3 was a snipefest between the infinite ammo tanks. That was plain retarded. This is better.

Last edited:
Tank lifers already have Dawnbreaker map beat. Just got done playing a server that took like 10 minutes. 2 tanks on the edge of the map/enemy base, driving back and forth in and out of the map. opposing team never had a chance and final was like 690-0 One winning team, but about as fun as chewing glass

Also I'm running the game at everything ultra max setting @ 1920x1080 no frame rate issues and no problems on my shitty system, except a server timeout once in a while. If your computer is locking up/crashing, your overclock is probably not stable

Wow, Ok, turn Post AA off (fxaa) it really adds a lot of blur to the textures. Turning it off, and just using 2 or 4X AA makes the textures and fidelity so much better IMO. Thoughts from other players on this?

Derp.

Your overkill system has nothing to do with Engine bugs.

Wow, Ok, turn Post AA off (fxaa) it really adds a lot of blur to the textures. Turning it off, and just using 2 or 4X AA makes the textures and fidelity so much better IMO. Thoughts from other players on this?

Ya post AA isn't that great IMO also I turned off motion blur....user preference.

I'm having a hell of a time today. Updated Nvidia drivers to 331.65. Installed game, installed day 1 patch. Multiplayer is a nightmare. Lag city. Every 3 seconds its like I took 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Played a few rounds, sometimes the lag would quit and everything was awesome. Other times there was no sound whatsoever. Fortunately no crashes yet in my 3 hours of playtime so far. Those of you crashing, I would update video card drivers (especially Nvidia) then back off any OC settings you have at least temporarily.

Like the past 2 launches (BFBC2 and BF3), I fully expect this first week to be hell since EA never plans ahead on the server load. I also don't expect all the major bugs to be worked out until 3 months out, and weapons balanced and all outstanding issues worked out by 6 months.

What I can't figure out is the sudden mouse lag. I'm not certain what is causing it. I left multiplayer and got to the second mission in single player and it hit like a ton of bricks. It was literally 2-3 seconds before the mouse would register movement. My hard drive was thrashing like I just downloaded 5 torrents loaded with viruses with 5 virus scanners running at the same time. The last time I ever saw this behavior is when I played through Crysis before the last patch fixed a memory leak. This was so bad I wouldn't have been surprised if it fucked with an SSD. This went on for 5 minutes. My defrag and virus scan settings are at noon, not 4am. The mouse lag continued for several minutes after I closed the game and Chrome crashed. I rebooted, took forever to load windows, then out of nowhere Java updater comes up. Mouse lag continues. I update java, then suddenly...BAM, hard drive stops thrashing and the mouse works perfectly again. WTF? was it Java the whole time or something else since the updater didn't come on until after reboot? Could BF3 have a severe memory leak and my HDD was clearing out the pagefile the whole time?

Everything working fine now...but my HDD is still working for some reason. Getting short bursts of activity every few seconds, but no mouse lag. I guess windows 7 is caching files or something. Can't wait to be able to afford an SSD.

Yeah, I'm not sure whether to do Post AA or not. It does blur the textures some, but MSAA alone leaves all the trees and leaves and stuff looking ugly. Compare: (notice my FPS in the upper right too)

MSAA only: http://i1.minus.com/iEawSz6FZIJJ3.png (notice the "speckling" in the trees)
PostAA only: http://i1.minus.com/ibdbooD24xkn4P.png (Much cleaner trees, but slight loss of detail in ground texture)

I think I might just stick with PostAA - I like the framerate bump (usually in the high 60's and 70's on my 120 Hz monitor) and image quality for leaves/shader aliasing. I really wish this game had native SMAA like Crysis 3 - that shit's like magic (low performance hit, great image quality, no blurry textures).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

trying the drivers that came out yesterday, i had the ones that came out last week.

670gtx, the game ran amazingly smooth at ultra, 24" asus 120hz

I got 1 red screen last night while playing.

I checked out the bf4 forums and there was a thread with plenty of other AMD users reporting the same. A red screen at the end of the rounds, after scrore has been tallied and all.

One user posted that AMD had released new beta drivers. 13.11beta7.

I won't have a chance to test before tonight. Thought it might help someone over here.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Guys, don't forget to crank the resolution scaling up to 125-150% for glorious FSAA. I find combining 130% res scaling and 2x MSAA gives the best image quality for the performance hit. I envy anyone that can run this game at 200% scaling and 4x MSAA, it looks absolutely stunning!

Playing all the way thru single player I had 3 or 4 crashes. Using the latest AMD beta drivers. No other issues here really. Ran better than I thought it would on ultra with a single 7970

Ill wait for the release madness (both in price and bugs department) pass.

I´ve suffered enough in the BF3 launch

new drivers fixed it. ultra runs great on 2600k @ 4.4, 670gtx, 6gb ddr3, SSD, 1920x1080(24" 120hz)

got in a game on the damn map, really pretty game.

I played about an hour of single player last night - it's pretty cinematic. Some of the "sets" really do a great job of showing off what the engine is capable of. From what I've read it's short - about 4-5 hours, which is good since you have to play it to unlock certain weapons. The AI is pretty stupid though. I'm playing on Normal, not sure if Hard is any more of a challenge.

I selected the Ultra pre-set, it definitely looks amazing even without fine-tuning any graphics options beyond that.

i5 2500K @ 4.2
2x GTX 670 SLI
8GB DDR3
SSD
2560x1440

I was getting ~50fps pretty consistently. There was one part of the first mission where it dipped into the 30s but just briefly. I'll probably have to turn a few options down for multi though. Hopefully some newer SLI profiles will come out soon that will help.

Anyone with a similar system tell me how it runs for them?

8gb ram
gtx 580
windows 7

Guys, don't forget to crank the resolution scaling up to 125-150% for glorious FSAA. I find combining 130% res scaling and 2x MSAA gives the best image quality for the performance hit. I envy anyone that can run this game at 200% scaling and 4x MSAA, it looks absolutely stunning!

Can anyone explain the resolution scaling?

I feel CPU bottlenecked in this game. I can play normally at 2560x1440, Ultra everything, but whenever there is tons of explosions and physics related events going on I take a pretty big frame rate hit. Dropping 4X MSAA to 2X MSAA doesn't make much of a difference in performance. It might be time to finally retire the X58 platform.

If set below 100%, the image is rendered at a lower res and upsampled. Setting it above 100% enables supersampling.
To expand upon this,

Let's say you are playing at 1920x1080. If you set the resolution scaling to 200%, the game will render internally at 3840x2160, and then "downsample" the output to 1920x1080. This is basically the same effect as full screen anti aliasing.

I feel CPU bottlenecked in this game. I can play normally at 2560x1440, Ultra everything, but whenever there is tons of explosions and physics related events going on I take a pretty big frame rate hit. Dropping 4X MSAA to 2X MSAA doesn't make much of a difference in performance. It might be time to finally retire the X58 platform.

This is sad to hear :(. I'm still rocking the first gen i7 920. I haven't had a chance to play the release yet, but I was in beta and I was getting the urge to upgrade. i'll find out today if it's time to retire my old x58 system.

How people can think this is not better than BF3 is beyond me. I LOVE this fuckin game. More than even BC2. If they somehow made a Camp Gibralter....

How do you get your premium shit? Like the knife and dog tags etc.

I logged on via VPN soon as I got home last night, and dudes were already level 15. My GOD how good are these people!?

Back