Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

I'd do that, but that doesn't sound like fun at all and since I'm not really in a hurry to get the Ace23, I probably won't do it. That being said, I'm definitely going to do that for the ammo ribbons, because the LMG unlock needs 50 of those, and I'm at like 3/50 after hours and hours of playing support.

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but there's something I enjoy about playing metro/locker that is almost stress-relieving after work. It's just a permanent "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" the whole time....it's kind of nice sometimes!

The best way I've found to rack up medkit points is to play 64 player Operation Metr--er, Locker. Domination or team DM is preferred. Eventually half your team will bunch up at a choke point and exchange explosives with the other team. Just toss medkits into the mass of bodies and rack up the points and ribbons.

yeah i cranked out the assignment for the ACE23 without even knowing it was an assignment. played Operation MetroLocker on Domination and the ACE23 unlocked. i thought it was a game glitch at first. then perused the assignments and saw there are weapon unlocks. i liked Metro in BF3. i didn't play it exclusively but it was a great way to take a break from the large true-to-BF style maps. i like Locker in BF4 a lot. it's better than Metro in just about every way.

Shizzy thanks for sharing your settings... ;)

For 1080P 60Hz do you guys still recommed 70 FOV?

I had a very bad evening last night. :( :eek: The game froze on me 3 or 4 times last night. (picture freezes with audio in the loop), to get it out of it I had to use alt+ctrl+del to bring up task manager to kill bf.exe which eventually would give me bf4.exe has stopped working.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I’m guessing my GPU o/c is unstable… Funny thing is I did not had this type of freezes/crashes with other games (including BF3) with the same mild o/c…
I played BF4 two nights ago without any freezes/crashes. Did DICE's recent server fixes causes this? :confused:

If it was CPU’s o/c I would get blue screen right?

Anyone else having similar issues?

If it is still happening tonight I will diable o/c on GPU altogether...

Any suggestions advise would be much appriciated. :D

BTW... I'm using win7 64 bit OS and bf4 (64 bit executable).
bf4 still crashes.
lot of issues still.
win 7 friends have issues and me to with win 8.1

It's not just you, last night me and 3 of my friends on TS all had the same style of crash that you explained above. It happened to us all at the same time, but the weird thing is that not everyone crashed out of the server we were in, only about 20% of the people crashed out. My friends and I are all running win 7 64 bit and Nvidia Cards w/ newest drivers. One of my friends is running complete stock settings also, still didn't help.

70 is way too narrow, IMO. I'm playing at 1200p and have set FOV to 100. Larger than that and the game becomes a fishbowl, smaller than that and I feel like I'm at a competitive disadvantage.
I used to use 80 FOV in BF3 and even higher FOV in BC2, but in BF4 70 FOV will give you an advantage when you Aim Down the Sight. When ADS it's quicker with 70 FOV in comparison to 90 FOV. Also the lower FOV makes enemies larger and easier to see.

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but there's something I enjoy about playing metro/locker that is almost stress-relieving after work. It's just a permanent "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" the whole time....it's kind of nice sometimes!

Don't get me wrong, I love the map, I'm just not a fan of games bigger than 24-32 players. It's one of two maps that I use shotguns on (the other is Siege of Shanghai), and I find it to be loads of fun with a shotgun.

Wow, this game looks absolutely stunning. The campaign is pretty damn immersive.

I love the meat grinder after work. You can max out assault med kits and support ammo resupplies in a few matches. Just get to the choke point and start dropping kits. Its one of those 53k vs 21d...lol love it sometimes....

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1040360968 said:
I need to unlock the shotguns, they looks fun. Anybody have a favorite?

http://symthic.com/bf4-shotgun-stats?p=stats

Honestly, I'm still using the one you get with the general shotgun unlock because it's a semi-automatic. The ones I've unlocked so far (up through the Saiga I think) all are slower. I'm working on getting the USAS right now, which I've heard is actually better, but we'll see.

Thanks for prompt feedback. So is it safe to say it is BF4 not my "perfect" system? ... ;)

The looping sound crash is not a/your system fault. It is the game and an acknowledged issue via DICE.

Currently playing on the rig in my sig. With x86 BF4, HT off and 330.40 beta drivers and have had zero issues in the last two/three days knock on wood. But I do have two r9 290s inbound. I'm goign to try those with windows 8 to see how it goes.

Shizzy, Opie and others THANKS... I was pulling my hair last night...

At what level are you guys already? I've seen some peeps with level 35 :-(... I'm only at 2...With kids, wife and NHL season in progress it is really hard time to stay focused and dedicated LOL

If anyone is looking for a fellow [H]crappy medic with poor K/D ratio you can add me to your friends list... I usually play RUSH few time a week.

Another thing is why so many servers with low tickets count? it makes games way too short.

I've gotten away from playing TDM -- it's all I played in BF3. In BF4 (at least the games I've played) it just turns into a giant camp-fest. Something with objectives like domination or even the smaller conquest games feel a lot less campy.

I've gotten away from playing TDM -- it's all I played in BF3. In BF4 (at least the games I've played) it just turns into a giant camp-fest. Something with objectives like domination or even the smaller conquest games feel a lot less campy.

I agree although I've had a run bad luck or something because I've been running into a lot of choke point/camping type situations even in rush.

I agree that TDM was more fun in BF3, but that's because its maps were more conducive to that gameplay style.

I don't think BF4 has an equivalent to, say, Noshahr Canals.

yo shiz, are you sure about the "mesh quality" setting ?

Back in bf3 in you had to max it out since it affected draw distance

You said that the enemies are being rendered no matter what but still ...

Ya man, not like BF3 at all. I'll put together a quick vid to show you or will just post some screenshots.

The player model gets rendered, but the box they are hiding behind doesn't. It effects draw distance of objects, but not player models.

Last edited:
Tried this setup last night based on your recommendation. Can confirm. I play mostly 300 ticket 24p domination, so 15-20 kills is common. Had a few games where I was 1:1 KDR, but that was actually incredible considering I was the only one on my team that had over .5 due to the other team winning by 260+ tickets...after things evened out a bit, I had several games over 2.0, with my best being 19/4 = 4.75. That's never happened in BF3 or BF4 for me.

I'm ~20 medkit ribbons away from the Ace23, I probably got 20-22 last night because even though I went 7wins/9losses, I was squad leader and had a decent squad that at least stuck together and focused the objectives I marked. That allowed me to get several defibs followed immediately by medpacks. The other team had a squad that was just plain better, but we had a couple games that were within 10 points one way or the other.
Get the Ace23. Its got even more punch and accuracy at range. The way it sounds and rate of fire feels like a high speed cannon. It reminds me of the G3 from BF3 (once it was fixed), but even more accurate, less first shot recoil multiplier, and higher magazine count.

As Shiznilti pointed out, use the angled grip and muzzle brake and this thing is unstoppable. With that combo, you aim for the neck, then next 2 or 3 rounds hit them dead in the face (assuming 50 meters or less). Most other guns you have to aim lower at mid chest then next few rounds hit upper chest or head. The Ace23 and M416 you don't have to adjust so much.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1040361945 said:
Ya man, not like BF3 at all. I'll put together a quick vid to show you or will just post some screenshots.

The player model gets rendered, but the box they are hiding behind doesn't. It effects draw distance of objects, but not player models.
I can't stand mesh on low. Being able to see a player's head but knowing there is actually part of a rock in the way pisses me off. I try to shoot at the head and I hit rock instead. Being able to see the full object they are hiding behind also clues me into what their field of view is and I can plan my attack accordingly. I also learn by getting killed and watching the killcam, so if I get killed by a guy behind a rock I want a reminder that I wasn't paying attention. I don't want a pseudo cheat.

Get the Ace23. Its got even more punch and accuracy at range. The way it sounds and rate of fire feels like a high speed cannon. It reminds me of the G3 from BF3 (once it was fixed), but even more accurate, less first shot recoil multiplier, and higher magazine count.

As Shiznilti pointed out, use the angled grip and muzzle brake and this thing is unstoppable. With that combo, you aim for the neck, then next 2 or 3 rounds hit them dead in the face (assuming 50 meters or less). Most other guns you have to aim lower at mid chest then next few rounds hit upper chest or head. The Ace23 and M416 you don't have to adjust so much.

I can't stand mesh on low. Being able to see a player's head but knowing there is actually part of a rock in the way pisses me off. I try to shoot at the head and I hit rock instead. Being able to see the full object they are hiding behind also clues me into what their field of view is and I can plan my attack accordingly. I also learn by getting killed and watching the killcam, so if I get killed by a guy behind a rock I want a reminder that I wasn't paying attention. I don't want a pseudo cheat.
Yep IMO the ACE 23 is the best gun in the game!

HAHA, Ya it frustrates me sometimes also, but the +22 fps by having MESH on low is worth it for me, I'll see a noob camping behind a box and sometimes never move from that spot, it's funny cuz I'll wait for him to pop out and he never will and I'll end up getting flanked.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1040361945 said:

Oh good, so it's basically just a wallhack bug at the moment? Should have mentioned that before posting all those high scores... :rolleyes: God forbid a "newb" doesn't know you can see through things.

Oh good, so it's basically just a wallhack bug at the moment? Should have mentioned that before posting all those high scores... :rolleyes: God forbid a "newb" doesn't know you can see through things.

He's been talking about it for a few days. So I'd say he's been pretty upfront about using the exploit.

Mesh detail in game graphic settings have been like this since BC2 and was in BF3 also,. It's part of the in game settings, wtf, it's not like real wall hacking at all. Try it out yourself then report back before you start bashing people on the forums. It honestly doesn't give you that much of an advantage, try it out yourself, you will get like 1 kill if that from the that graphic setting depending on the map, most maps nothing will change at all.. lol this guy trying to clown on me. It's more player skill then anything that I get my kills from not this setting being changed. Mesh on low gives you a 20fps boost, almost everyone I know that's a competitive gamer uses this setting. I do admit it I did make it out to sound like this spectacular setting that gives you huge advantages, but honestly it's not that much of an advantage at all. Please just try it out yourself.

Last edited:
Like your settings but I use 4xAA and post processing on ultra and I seem to get at least 120 fps 85% of the time with 780 @ 1100mhz and stock 4770k. Things seem to pop out more and weapon DOF off is nice. I never really liked blur or HBAO in BF3 I was just amazed how well the 780 ran with it all maxed lol.

What I don't understand is the FOV setting of 70... Try 90 and tell me it doesn't seem better
On 70 it feels like molasses concerning movement and run speed.

Not even close to a true wallhack. Does it give an advantage? Not much of one.

Think of it this way. Enemy is camping behind a boulder in the middle of a field. At low mesh setting, the top of the boulder is more squared off and angled, suddenly showing the top edge of his helmet at a certain viewing angle, however you cannot shoot that small sliver of his helmet and kill him since the boulder still technically occupies the space in front of it. At higher mesh settings, his helmet would be completely invisible since more of the boulder would be rendered.

A negative aspect to this low mesh setting is the fact that you won't quite see some of the things you are walking on...so rocks and rubble you will get stuck on things you never see. This is about as much a disadvantage as being able to see slightly more of the enemy is an advantage.

As far as graphics bugs giving an advantage in battlefield, its been that way forever. I remember people turning off the "fog of war" haze that was always rendered in BF2 to get better viewing distances.

Running the Battlemap on my second monitor is actually really cool. Since I'm clueless and constantly lost, it really helps me get my bearings. It's also nice to be able to glance over and get an idea where all the enemy helicopters and armor is located.

I'm running it off an older laptop I have to avoid any hiccups (not sure it's necessary to do that) and it actually caused the dumb thing to overheat and shut down a few times until I lifted it to allow for some airflow.

Oh good, so it's basically just a wallhack bug at the moment? Should have mentioned that before posting all those high scores... :rolleyes:
Had some good times in this 500 ticket server...

65 - 8
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/399062852967607616/336717693/

82 - 18
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/399048519646719296/336717693/

72 - 14
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/399034039063817536/336717693/

70 - 17
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/399025579936984384/336717693/

hjtP7lU.jpg

No matter what I do I just can't get rid of this damn stuttering.

580 GTX
8gb ram.

Tried core parking off
Hyperthreading off
vsync on/off, adaptive vsync through nvidia control panel on/off
All settings to low or high (makes no difference), I can pull good fps on high settings and it will stutter, on low even with more fps same thing.

It seems a lot more noticable when I'm strafing left/right and is a huge pain in the ass when aiming, that split second of stutter will make you miss your shots so easily.

Is anyone on a similar system as mine able to play without constant stuttering? If so can you tell me your settings/video card drivers you're using?

Last edited:
shiz is a haxor! not really, he just gets REALLY amped up on caffeine and goes nuts. I have played with him enough to see what's up. Besides, 1v1 we would trade a lot.

Anyway, using shiz's settings, which are the same as what I used for bf3, I see no fps difference after unparking my cores. Game runs ok now with occasional weird rubber banding and a rare freeze every now and then. Much improved since launch.

I run mesh on low as well. The game seems to run "smoother" for me at that setting, and no it doesn't help you get more kills. That's on the player.

Everyone already know this but I'll repeat it just for grins: Disable post AA.

I haven't been following, why disable it?

It's FXAA, and a badly implemented version of FXAA at that. It basically blurs the whole screen slightly, making everything look out of focus.

Try it for yourself.

shiz, do you have any gameplay videos? I wonder if your playstyle is anything like mine.

I sometimes get in these sort of manic hyper focused moments where I find a hotspot in buildings and plenty of cover and just keep moving and get in these massive killstreaks. Tends to happen on Zalvod 311 and Operation Dawnbreaker a lot.

No matter what I do I just can't get rid of this damn stuttering.

580 GTX
8gb ram.

Tried core parking off
Hyperthreading off
vsync on/off, adaptive vsync through nvidia control panel on/off
All settings to low or high (makes no difference), I can pull good fps on high settings and it will stutter, on low even with more fps same thing.

Is anyone on a similar system as mine able to play without constant stuttering? If so can you tell me your settings/video card drivers you're using?
Hmmm... My buddy Teh_Unb0rn has a 2600k and a gtx580 also and I had him disable HT and almost all of his stuttering went away, but he still complains that it's still there a little bit and didn't completely go away like it did for me(I'm on a 2600k and a gtx670 win 7 64bit). He updated all of his mobo drivers, did a thorough clean sweep of all nvidia drivers and it's still there. He is running win7 64 bit and is contemplating moving over to win8 to see if that will fixes his issue, when he does I'll let ya know. What mobo are you using? He is still able to put up good scores and stay at the top of the list and sometimes take my 1st place spot, but it just isn't 100% completely smooth yet like it is for me.

shiz is a haxor! not really, he just gets REALLY amped up on caffeine and goes nuts. I have played with him enough to see what's up. Besides, 1v1 we would trade a lot.

Anyway, using shiz's settings, which are the same as what I used for bf3, I see no fps difference after unparking my cores. Game runs ok now with occasional weird rubber banding and a rare freeze every now and then. Much improved since launch.
Sup Spaceman! haha ya actually last night I was on my http://www.blastcaffeine.com/ it usually gets me in the zone and my reaction time gets boosted big time lol. Ya spaceman is a damn good player, much smarter then me on the battlefield, sometimes I turn into rambo and just run in not caring, I've been trying to change that about me and start having better map awareness and use the minimap, I'm getting better. Also I find hitting "n" and zooming in on the mini map to 50m really helps acquire enemy locations better.

It's FXAA, and a badly implemented version of FXAA at that. It basically blurs the whole screen slightly, making everything look out of focus.

Try it for yourself.
I used to not use the MSAA and only use post(FSAA),due to wanting to get 120fps avg, but once I found out the correct graphics settings I was able to run 2xMSAA, WOW what a world of difference it is. Makes the game soo much sharper and textures just POP, MSAA is way better then post AA, only time I'd use post is if you hav a older rig and just can't get that many fps and you dont want any jaggie lines, just put post on low.

shiz, do you have any gameplay videos? I wonder if your playstyle is anything like mine.

I sometimes get in these sort of manic hyper focused moments where I find a hotspot in buildings and plenty of cover and just keep moving and get in these massive killstreaks. Tends to happen on Zalvod 311 and Operation Dawnbreaker a lot.
I usually only do really good if I'm on TS with some friends and we can work together as a group, I get pretty raged up running solo lol.

I need help and advice on what the best in game recording software is to use, I have FRAPS, but that really drops my framerate alot. I'd want something that allows me to record and not drop my performance that much. Some people setup streaming PC's also... Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Shiz, have you tried running over 100% resolution? I'm at 120% and it's pretty punchy. I'll try 2x MSAA later today.

Are any of you guys going to be on this morning/afternoon? Would love to squad up on TS and use up some of my boost packs with good players.

-Ope- is my in game nick.

Alright, I just bit the bullet on this, even after I told myself I wasn't haha. Is the an [H] server or group that plays regularly

Back