Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

and.. well remember that Death Valley map in the Armored Kill DLC in BF3, where everything was blue? *shudder*

yeah that was not a great execution of a night time map. i really like Zavod graveyard it's fun with how dark it is, in a novelty sort of way. something between Zavod and Death Valley (biased a bit toward the darker Zavod) would be perfect.

The problem with night maps is it promotes excessive camping/sniping. But since most people that play this game on PC have terrible aim I use this opportunity to farm up my KD.

What's the current state of the game right now?
It's been way over a year since it was released.
Is the BF4 community thriving or has everyone moved on to other games like Hardline.
I'm contemplating buying BF4, but I'm not going to to get if nobody else plays it or it sucks.

Is the BF4 community thriving or has everyone moved on to other games like Hardline.
I'm contemplating buying BF4, but I'm not going to to get if nobody else plays it or it sucks.

I've jumped back into it here over the last few weeks and it seems to be thriving pretty well. I don't play anything more than 32 player servers, 64 is just too chaotic for me half the time...especially on maps like Operation Metro. Anyways, there's lots of 32 player servers that that typically run near or at full capacity.

I've jumped back into it here over the last few weeks and it seems to be thriving pretty well. I don't play anything more than 32 player servers, 64 is just too chaotic for me half the time...especially on maps like Operation Metro. Anyways, there's lots of 32 player servers that that typically run near or at full capacity.

That's good news. I know that early on BF4 was a buggy disaster. It sounds like they've fixed a lot of the major bugs.

That's good news. I know that early on BF4 was a buggy disaster. It sounds like they've fixed a lot of the major bugs.

I can't really comment on that because I never had any issues with the game being buggy after the beta. They just introduced a higher 'tick' rate, my understanding is it increases the number of updates you send/receive from the server. It's a server side configurable option so it doesn't effect all servers. The higher tick rated servers require solid internet connections for all players on it but should provide more accurate location reporting, as in, no longer dying after taking cover.

Way over a year? Try 2 years.

Hardline flopped hard.
======================

Current state of BF4:

BF4 took almost 10 months after release to be somewhat playable, where as most previous battlefield titles took about 6 months.

However, once DICE LA took over the development from DICE Sweden and after that patch 10 months in the game has been wonderful. DICE LA even started the Community Test Environment (CTE) to test out changes to the game and get community feedback. In case you didn't know, DICE LA is a recent addition to EA that was formed from former employees of Danger Close studios when they closed down.

After that bugfix 10 months in came the amazing Server Tick Rate patch that took the sync rate between each player and the server from 10 times a second (10hz) to 30 times a second which has almost fixed most of the problems like dying behind cover and kill trading. ALMOST. Some of the guns fire so fast 900-1000 rounds per minute (that's 15-16 bullets a second) which results in people feeling like they are getting 1 shot instakilled when the server is at 10hz. They are currently testing 60hz servers which will be almost on par with other competitive shooters like Counterstrike.

Things were great up until the Spring 2015 patch. The shotguns got a huge unneeded buff and the gun attachments got a nerf that almost makes them pointless. Attachments are largely affected by the gun's themselves now. Most are better without the grips, so you may have to re-learn how you shoot. Other guns seem largely unaffected by them or work in new interesting ways. For example, the slow firing carbines like AKU-12 and AK-5C are wonderful with an angled grip and heavy barrel, RPK-74 is a laser gun with zero attachments if you figure out how to 2-round burst fire, scar-H is beastly with super fast bullets and no attachments, and for some reason the SG-553 went from mediocre to god-like using an angled grip and muzzle brake.

All the paid for DLC has been released, but now DICE has made it a point to release free DLC such as the first true night map Battlefield has seen since BF2 Special Ops (Zavod: Graveyard Shift), redone Dragon Valley from BF2, and a Community designed map. We may even get more re-done night maps, but that is still up in the air.

Current state of BF4 is the best its ever been. It still has 1 good year left before BF5 is released.

and for some reason the SG-553 went from mediocre to god-like using an angled grip and muzzle brake.

Its a shell of its former self. I used to use that set up and had no problem hitting people at medium-far ranges. I used to take out snipers when all I could see was their scope reflection by tapping in full auto mode. It got a pretty big nerf some patches back, but it is still one of the better weapons.

After watching a video of the reworked Dragon Valley map coming soon in the free DLC pack, I'm bummed I missed playing it while it was in the CTE rotation. But I'm looking forward to that along with Operation Outbreak and whatever else they include.

After watching a video of the reworked Dragon Valley map coming soon in the free DLC pack, I'm bummed I missed playing it while it was in the CTE rotation. But I'm looking forward to that along with Operation Outbreak and whatever else they include.

Any release date for the new DLC ? And it sounds like two different free DLC's ? The community made map, and then another separate DLC also ?

They've just stated "Fall".

I suspect it'll be one update patch that includes multiple maps, rather than trickling out one map at a time which is apparently a hassle on consoles. Apparently the next patch will also be the last where they add anything to lastgen consoles. About time. When the game is on 5 platforms no wonder shit takes forever.

Its a shell of its former self. I used to use that set up and had no problem hitting people at medium-far ranges. I used to take out snipers when all I could see was their scope reflection by tapping in full auto mode. It got a pretty big nerf some patches back, but it is still one of the better weapons.
Yes it did. However, it was always eclipsed by the acw-r for short to medium engagements until the spring patch increased recoil and grip attachments making things worse.
Now the reload time on the sg-553 is so low and the muzzle brake barely causes bloom while keeping the rpm almost as high as the acw-r. I full auto or 4-5 round burst on people out to medium range 30-50 meters. It has effectively taken the acw-r's position.

Yes it did. However, it was always eclipsed by the acw-r for short to medium engagements until the spring patch increased recoil and grip attachments making things worse.
Now the reload time on the sg-553 is so low and the muzzle brake barely causes bloom while keeping the rpm almost as high as the acw-r. I full auto or 4-5 round burst on people out to medium range 30-50 meters. It has effectively taken the acw-r's position.

I never found the ACR to be all that great... not personally. Plenty were good with it though. Now the recoil is a bit too high no matter what grip or muzzle device I try. I used to use the AK5 when the game was new, but hardly use it now. Maybe it will fit the medium range field like the ARX?

How do people fly in this game with the mouse and keyboard? Maybe I'm just complete ass at it, or it takes alot of practice.

Are people using some joystick setup? If so, do you all have any recommendations? I don't want to spend alot but it would be cool to buy something I can use and again whenever BF5 drops.

^ What specifically are you having trouble flying? in any case the answer is practice.

I fly fine with just keyboard. In Battlefront I used a xbox 360 remote from the start. Practice on the training map...

^ What specifically are you having trouble flying? in any case the answer is practice.

Everything, but mostly just want to be better with choppers. I just wasn't sure if the best guys are using some other hardware. I would assume its much easier with a stick

Everything, but mostly just want to be better with choppers. I just wasn't sure if the best guys are using some other hardware. I would assume its much easier with a stick

After about 3-4 hours of practice, I fly all helicopters with just a mouse and KB.
Planes on the other hand are a total bitch to fly.

After about 3-4 hours of practice, I fly all helicopters with just a mouse and KB.
Planes on the other hand are a total bitch to fly.

I need the sensitivity turned wayyyy up to fly the jets well, but it sucks that it can't be changed just for the jets. Then it is too high for tank turrets, etc. So I just leave it normal and don't fly very often.

god man cmw needs to hurry and update their servers to 60 Hz already, shit is killing me.

Classic mode is the best mode ever....plays like BF2.

Problem is it is not very popular, so there is only a few US servers running it. Lots in Europe though.

How is hardline? Any good or should I not even bother? Reviews are horrible.

I need the sensitivity turned wayyyy up to fly the jets well, but it sucks that it can't be changed just for the jets. Then it is too high for tank turrets, etc. So I just leave it normal and don't fly very often.

I know the absolute ace pilots out there use a mouse/keyboard but I still use my sidewinder 3d pro. I can keep up with all but the absolute best, although aim is where I suffer most. I also use it for Helos, having rudder built into the stick allows me to maneuver really well.

The trick to pulling tight turns in the aircraft is throttle control, right around 300-310 will let you make the tightest turns and get in on anybody that doesn't know it. For any of the jets that have afterburner, its dead simple for me, just throttle all the way down and control speed by pulsing the afterburner. It's a great pita with the attack jets like the A-10 as I have to constantly adjust the throttle but still doable.

How do people fly in this game with the mouse and keyboard? Maybe I'm just complete ass at it, or it takes alot of practice.

Are people using some joystick setup? If so, do you all have any recommendations? I don't want to spend alot but it would be cool to buy something I can use and again whenever BF5 drops.

Joy sticks will probably be worse in a game like BF. Joysticks come in hand for when there is fine movement. BF is just twitch. A joystick would slow that down. I used to be pretty good in BF3, but stopped playing them in BF4. Now I am pretty bad with them, but they're so awful you have to wonder why they're in the game in the first place. The jets in BF2/3/4 were just check boxes to slap on the back of the box one would assume due to the sheer lack of effort put into them.

I never found the ACR to be all that great... not personally. Plenty were good with it though. Now the recoil is a bit too high no matter what grip or muzzle device I try. I used to use the AK5 when the game was new, but hardly use it now. Maybe it will fit the medium range field like the ARX?

Use the AK5C with a heavy barrel, angled grip, and choice of scope. Use it on open maps and burst fire. It's still pretty decent. It's like a full auto DMR for medium range engagements. It will still suck up close, so make everything count.

I know the absolute ace pilots out there use a mouse/keyboard but I still use my sidewinder 3d pro. I can keep up with all but the absolute best, although aim is where I suffer most. I also use it for Helos, having rudder built into the stick allows me to maneuver really well.

The trick to pulling tight turns in the aircraft is throttle control, right around 300-310 will let you make the tightest turns and get in on anybody that doesn't know it. For any of the jets that have afterburner, its dead simple for me, just throttle all the way down and control speed by pulsing the afterburner. It's a great pita with the attack jets like the A-10 as I have to constantly adjust the throttle but still doable.
It always cracks me up when I hear someone cry out on server chat that people using joysticks in this game do better than those with KB/M. They seem to think that joystick software creates magical macros that completely undo all of DICE's weird arcade-y mechanics.
I use a Logitech 3D pro joystick for everything but throttle. I use the keyboard for throttle because it's easier to control and it makes re-adjusting hand placement better overall (especially if I have to bail and re-adjust). Flying with a kb/m is so unintuitive for me. I grew up on flight sim games like x-wing/tie fighter, Falcon 4.0, Commanche series, etc.

FWIW, the best speed is exactly 313 knots.

Last edited:
Aren't grips still shit since they increase the time it takes for the spread to decrease?

M-Tar 21 for those with Premium can be pretty epic, unless the engagement is across a huge map.

Flying with a kb/m is so unintuitive for me. I grew up on flight sim games like x-wing/tie fighter, Falcon 4.0, Commanche series, etc.

Same here, it just doesn't feel right using a kb/m combo. I played the Star Wars: Battlefront beta and, while its obviously geared towards console players and the like, I couldn't stand constantly dragging the mouse, having to pick it up, drag it across more, just to complete a turn, let alone getting into a circle jerk air fight.

Same here, it just doesn't feel right using a kb/m combo. I played the Star Wars: Battlefront beta and, while its obviously geared towards console players and the like, I couldn't stand constantly dragging the mouse, having to pick it up, drag it across more, just to complete a turn, let alone getting into a circle jerk air fight.

I plugged in my xbox 360 controller. At that point I could at least fly, but I couldn't hit the broad side of a...well...the broad side of an AT-AT. No way I'm going to be able to shoot a 2 meter womp rat in that game. I'm a helluva lot more accurate pilot with a joystick.

I plugged in my xbox 360 controller. At that point I could at least fly, but I couldn't hit the broad side of a...well...the broad side of an AT-AT. No way I'm going to be able to shoot a 2 meter womp rat in that game. I'm a helluva lot more accurate pilot with a joystick.

I noticed there was some odd 'flight assistant' control going on. Anytime I slowed down and tried to line up on something, there'd be this weird counter-force pulling or pushing me in a direction other than where I was pushing the buttons for it to go. It made hitting even the broadside of an AT-AT difficult.

I played a few games last night Conquest, Rush and Team Deathmatch. I love how this game looks on my ROG SWIFT the Tanks looks spot on Realistic.

Flying with a kb/m is so unintuitive for me. I grew up on flight sim games like x-wing/tie fighter, Falcon 4.0, Commanche series, etc.

Well, any flight game will be a pain with mouse/keyboard. Even when you get to flight games like Ace Combat a mouse/keyboard will suck. Flight sims like Falcon? You'll need a joystick/throttle.

I'm sure they changed something between BF3/4s flight mechanics though. I was a lot better in 3, but as I said, I never cared much to try them in 4 so I likely never picked up on any changes.

It's not Noshahr Canals 2.0 however, it's not its own map. It's a section of the remade Dragon Valley map created as a nod to Noshahr.

Personally I would've loved to see a full Kharg Island 2.0 map with attack boats in the water. Great times on that map in BF3 CQ64, and TDM was fun on it as well.

Last edited:
Also I'm seeing green hit markers now?
You must not be following BF4 that close. A couple of patches ago they added the ability to change the hit markers to what ever color you want. You can even have different colors for head shots.

You must not be following BF4 that close. A couple of patches ago they added the ability to change the hit markers to what ever color you want. You can even have different colors for head shots.

ah i didn't notice that, but i checked the other night and sure enough. thanks for the heads up.

i'm hoping they release the upcoming community map and dragon valley soon. once Battlefront releases i imagine i'll put BF4 on hold for a while. it would be great to play those maps beforehand. obviously i'm not going to moan about the release timing of free content, just a hopeful observation.

Back