Battlefield 4 Beta Performance Preview @ [H]

the article said:
The game seems to consume more memory the longer you play.

I can attest to the ram issues as well. I have 16gb and can play the game fine. A buddy has nearly the same system with 3gb of ram and it is nearly unplayable.

I'm not sure if anyone brought this up (I only read through page 3 to be honest - I lost interest once we got into the "I'm a Win7 fanboi and I ain't never upgradin!" section), but the game seems to have a massive memory leak. I noticed seemingly random application crashes after installing the game, and found that every time I ran BF4 there was an error in my event log indicating that BF4.exe had triggered a memory leak condition. Following that, and error would be written to my event log every 60 seconds that some database or another could not be flushed.

Rebooting would fix the issue, and it would not return until BF4 was launched.

I get it - this is a "beta," but i don't have much faith that any issues in the game were addressed. There was no official way to submit feedback or bug reports (we all know DICE doesn't give a crap about forum posts) and the beta itself was only 10 days long. This was a poor quality demo that was called a beta to get a free pass from the kool-aid-drinkers that don't understand what software (beta) testing really is and should be.

I'm glad that HardOCP has decided to continue with its traditional video card review methodology. I really enjoy this unique two pronged approach - traditional FPS chart backed up by a contextual graph showing the level of playability and fluidity. For me THIS is the most elegant approach where I can relate to the running commentary of the reviewer and put it to the accordance of the graph and vice versa! Frame-time is a better way than counting FPS to measure gameplay smoothness but numbers alone can lead to confused judgement. OTOH, here @ [H] the bench-mark process seems much more personal and intricate, just like what we all want our game play sessions to be!

[CoF] ATOMIC;1040286909 said:
Kyle, what sound card you running in your current rig? Still the Creative Sound Blaster Titanium HD or have you upgraded to the Z line up.

Wonder if in your upcoming Win 8 vs Win 7 benching, should you include a section on audio on which OS handles the sound better as Win 8 has hardware layer audio built in now.

Also, does anybody know if the Audio Engine has been significantly upgraded in BF3 vs BF4?

Same one still.

As for BF4 testing, I am not sure what all we will get to. The list is getting pretty long. It will be a basic test of getting the content out and seeing what is still important to our readers at that point that has not already been covered well elsewhere.

If you can it would be good to show crossfire vs sli scaling in the bf4 release version. Maybe even ram speed comparisons as cosair showed some performance increases.

If you can it would be good to show crossfire vs sli scaling in the bf4 release version. Maybe even ram speed comparisons as cosair showed some performance increases.

That will be done for sure.

SLI/CrossFire - Eyefinity/NV Surround/4K - will all be tested in time, as a separate review.

We have a lot of articles that will be based around BF4, each one deserves its own spot in the spot light, and each one is a full review in of itself. Please be patient with us, we have lots of good stuff planned, just takes time to properly get you guys the info you want :)

SLI/CrossFire - Eyefinity/NV Surround/4K - will all be tested in time, as a separate review.

We have a lot of articles that will be based around BF4, each one deserves its own spot in the spot light, and each one is a full review in of itself. Please be patient with us, we have lots of good stuff planned, just takes time to properly get you guys the info you want :)

It might be a good idea to sticky a thread about the upcoming BF4 tests, detailing what you are doing. Make it a none discussion.
When someone asks a question you have answered a lot, we can point them to the thread.
It will be a lot easier for anyone to see if something useful can be added / if something is missing.

anyone think that once the games out and drivers become more optimized that the performance should increase?

anyone think that once the games out and drivers become more optimized that the performance should increase?

Yes, a lot.

My 570 struggled with BF3 @ Ultra but when I played last week it was buttery smooth.

And no, I don't expect my 570 to cut it on BF4.

VRAM exceeded, VRAM exceeded everywhere.

hows everyone card doing now that has been released? 16gb ram, 3770, gtx 680 on 1680x1050 resolution everything high i was getting 80-130fps. gonna try setting to ultra tonigh and see how much it goes down.

I wonder if windows 8.1 has grown on Brent yet!

No. It is missing very basic things I had in 7. Windows 8 is a step backwards in the evolution of the OS. It is a shame we are going to be forced to use it for DX11.1/11.2, WDDM 1.3, Support.

No. It is missing very basic things I had in 7. Windows 8 is a step backwards in the evolution of the OS. It is a shame we are going to be forced to use it for DX11.1/11.2, WDDM 1.3, Support.

Is Windows 9 still supposed to be coming next year? Could that be what Win 7 was to Vista? I figure I'll wait for that in order to get DX11.1/11.2 support.....

Is Windows 9 still supposed to be coming next year? Could that be what Win 7 was to Vista? I figure I'll wait for that in order to get DX11.1/11.2 support.....

ive read that windows 9 will be a cross between 7 & 8. we get the classic start menu back with a metro ui as well.

good lord, I can't wait for Win 9.

Seems Win 8 is more stable in Bf4 and crashes less, but I'm not going to spend a whole day, formatting, backing up, replacing programs, etc.. on some touch screen-tablet like junk user interface which contributes nothing but mainstream propaganda and a plethora of useless content, just to get one god damn game running semi-stable.

For christ sake, Win 8 was such a catastrophe, i wouldn't even upgrade to it even if i got the OS for free.

Seems Win 8 is more stable in Bf4 and crashes less, but I'm not going to spend a whole day, formatting, backing up, replacing programs, etc.. on some touch screen-tablet like junk user interface which contributes nothing but mainstream propaganda and a plethora of useless content, just to get one god damn game running semi-stable.

For christ sake, Win 8 was such a catastrophe, i wouldn't even upgrade to it even if i got the OS for free.

You have never used w8 if this is the conclusion you came too. Im 100% sure of this.

It's Windows! The same thing you love, but now hate? It is still Windows you know right? Same everything but the Start menu is a full screen. Same Windows! Are you unable to adapt to a new Start menu? If so there are even options that will make it just like you used to have it. It is still just Windows right? I mean you know that it is just Windows? It might take a day or two to get your shit figured out, but it is still Windows ya know.
I'm worried about you. You will be okay. It is just Window ya know? Don't sweat it. We all know change is hard, but we are here for ya. If you can't figure out how to run a game or open a web browser, guess what? You have the [H] army to back you up!
Your golden. Give specifics and the best forum in PC land will reach out a hand to help. Guaranteed!!!
Hang in there bro, we feel your stress.
It's just Windows bro :)

Sooooo when is that BF4 review coming??? I want to see the 290x vx the 780ti!! Lol :)

Back