Battlefield 4 Beta Discussion

Hopefully now all the hyperventilation about "needing" to install Win8 for BF4 will stop.

On a sadder note, went 30-0 in an attack chopper, got my lvl 8 and was about to win with only 100 enemy tickets to go when, black screen with visual artifacts and server crash. I know it's beta but I'm sad. My best score ever, and in a chopper. Missed out on so many points... :(

Actually you didn't miss out on those points. That's not how this client/server model works. Because the server crashes doesn't mean you "lost everything" that happened in the round. Game event data is streaming continuously and in realtime from your client to the server and in turn to DICE's back end. Every time you spawn, die, hit, miss, score points, immediately it's relayed and databased. That's how it was in BF3, that's how it is in BF4. Many people seem to be under the impression that the server "submits" everything that happened during the round at the end of it, that's wrong. So in short, don't sweat it.

Now it could be that the end of round report isn't available in your profile but then don't play a beta if you want problem-free. All the beta stats are getting wiped in 5 days anyway.

Last edited:
Today's update has completely removed stuttering from my game.

Win 7 64
2500k @ 4.2ghz
GTX 660 w/ 320.49 drivers

This was also my experience with today's patch. I'm excited they have it fixed in time for the weekend. :D

Zero stuttering, now using 90-95% of gpu with 95-99% cpu with this patch. Running on high with no dips below 40fps. I'm amazed that dual core runs this so well

For some reason my game is now constantly crashing after the update. Weird. Also my 6950 2GB is hitting about 1.7GB of vram @ 1080p, nuts!

New update this morning. Running great for me now. Better than BF3 at this point.

Wow. I didn't see any difference after the new update, and it definitely doesn't run as well as BF3 for me. BF3 is pegged at a constant 60fps except when I'm in the middle of an explosion. BF4 I average around 45 with a low of 30.

This patch smoothed things out a LOT on my brother's system under win 7.. he has an I5 4670 @ 4.0. It was a stuttery mess before.

An update hit again today ? I didn't see anything download when I opened up origin??

EDIT***** nm, saw that it did indeed download a 54meg or so file.

time to try it out!

Oh man.... I'm pretty excited now to try this tonight when I get home from work....

It does seem smoother after the patch but my gpu is still bouncing from 98% load to 63% with the newest beta drivers and the recommended graphics settings. Is anybody else having an issue like that?

It does seem smoother after the patch but my gpu is still bouncing from 98% load to 63% with the newest beta drivers and the recommended graphics settings. Is anybody else having an issue like that?

Yes I have, playing fine and then bam it dips for 1 to 2 seconds at random times sometimes at 5 or 10 minute intervals!

Jesus shit patch made a huge difference. Much smoother now.

Win7
2500K @ 4.4
7979 @ 1050/1525

Patch fixed all my problems! Graphics suck though even maxed out! Went back to BF3 for a bit and though it looks much better. Hopefully the full release will help with that.

Patch sent my FPS into the 70s. However the game only last 30 seconds before hanging the GPU with a DX error about a bad application call. This kills all other GPU assisted applications, browser, desktop, etc. And according the the error this has nothing to do with my GPU, it clearly states, go fix your application.

So upgraded my ram from 6GB to 12GB and video card from 6850 to 7970, and I must say, MAJOR improvement in the BETA.

Runs fantastic, I get no skipping when the skyscraper comes down now, I love it. But, BOY does that GPU run hot.

Glad to see that the dev team is working overtime. This morning's patch has turned my slideshow into a stutter free, smooth as silk, better than... you get the idea.

Crossfire works as it should, CPU usage is still pretty high, but at least its playing great now. Just need to get some more time in and I think this has moved from my "maybe" list to my "must buy" list.

So upgraded my ram from 6GB to 12GB and video card from 6850 to 7970, and I must say, MAJOR improvement in the BETA.

Runs fantastic, I get no skipping when the skyscraper comes down now, I love it. But, BOY does that GPU run hot.

Really? My 7970 tops out at about 60c under load.

Patch appears to have completely fixed the flickering I had been getting with smoke and dust (Win 7 and Titans and beta drivers). Haven't paid attention to FPS yet but also seems to have cured the occasional slowdown I was getting, played 2 rounds and never noticed any kind of slowdowns whatsoever. Previously, occasionally, FPS would dip into the teens or twenties and it was a serious issue.

Like I said, haven't looked at FPS yet, but everything seems perfect now. Which it should be, but wasn't previously.

If you played with the BF3 H|G platoon, expect your score to be high because we move as a squad and keep taking objectives like crazy! :cool:

Wow HUGE performance improvement with today's update.

2500k @ 4.4ghz and 660ti

I got no frame benchies. I know it to be true.

On a side note - I wonder why they withhold this portion of the code in their beta program. Why not just release these little updates initially? I gotta think they were already part of the retail code, yes?

2500k @ 4.4ghz and 660ti

On a side note - I wonder why they withhold this portion of the code in their beta program. Why not just release these little updates initially? I gotta think they were already part of the retail code, yes?

Because it didn't exist. Repi was active in his twitter feed while he was working on the patch explaining some of the issues he was tackling.

2500k @ 4.4ghz and 660ti

I was under the impression that this was a new problem they had to work through.

I just figured out why I don't like BF4! It's friggin' nuclear red triangle mode!

Oh how I miss thee, hardcore. How I miss thee dearly...

I get more CTDs between rounds now with this update as well.

I just figured out why I don't like BF4! It's friggin' nuclear red triangle mode!

Oh how I miss thee, hardcore. How I miss thee dearly...

I get more CTDs between rounds now with this update as well.

Love, do not fret, we'll be blasting through hardcore soon! :D It's so fun when we team up and run around with the tank:cool:

hate-or-not-instagram.jpg

Seriously, the "best netcode evurrrrrrrr" is fucking bad. Hit notification is absolutely lol.

DICE really needs to get in a separate team to handle the netcode for its games, because it's painfully clear that DICE has no idea what it's doing. It gets worse with every damn game.

Last edited:
I get more crashes now -- but it's always been smooth on my 2500k @ 4.2Ghz, 16GB ram, Xfire 7970s @ 1.1Ghz

I really really need to take the time to figure out how to get the map screen thingy to show up on my extra monitor. I run two 27" 1440p monitors, and the 2nd one is just sitting useless while I game on my main screen.

[/IMG]

Seriously, the "best netcode evurrrrrrrr" is fucking bad. Hit notification is absolutely lol.

DICE really needs to get in a separate team to handle the netcode for its games, because it's painfully clear that DICE has no idea what it's doing. It gets worse with every damn game.

Never ever trust DICE. They employ subpar coders who know jackshit about coding but think they're the best lol. Amateurs at best trust me.

2500k @ 4.4ghz and 660ti

I'm gonna go out on a limb and be cynical and say...these patches probably existed already and Dice is releasing them the way they are, to make it look like they're hard at work in order to generate more interest in the game. I doubt all these issues were found out and fixed in a matter of a few days after releaing the beta.

Uhhgg since the patch my friend hasn't been able to play longer than 5 min without crashing and i can maybe last 20 min before crashing.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and be cynical and say...these patches probably existed already and Dice is releasing them the way they are, to make it look like they're hard at work in order to generate more interest in the game. I doubt all these issues were found out and fixed in a matter of a few days after releaing the beta.

I find it a bit hard to believe that software that's CLEARLY in beta status, with no guarantee of working would be intentionally gimped from the start so that dice could "look good" by releasing a patch a week later on something nobody has paid for.

In a business sense - it's much more profitable to release something that impresses the hell out of you with smoothness and awesomeness than something that's buggy/choppy.

In no logical sense can I see them having a meeting and actually agreeing to release sub-par code on purpose only to waste their (and our) time by patching it later. They want this thing to impress and snare as many people as possible why would they gimp it from the start.

It's beta stuff -- and from what I've read what we are playing is actually a working alpha of sorts, with the latest and greatest due to be released being way way more polished and refined.

At the end of the day -- you paid $0.00 for it... nobody has a right to bitch just yet.

Back