Battlefield 4 Beta Discussion

Interesting statement...(see thread title)

I think we have all been around the block enough times here that the statement 'but it's beta' does not have any weight anymore. Maybe it had weight when betas were really betas, but betas like this are just headstarts with hiccups allowed. Modern alphas are at about the same finish level as closed and partially open betas were just 5-10 years ago.

Protip: crank the resolution scaling in video settings up to 200% for glorious FSAA :D Will bring most systems to their knees.

Anyone else play on multi screens? I was having huge sections of choppiness during times of firefights. What are some in game commands, my EVGA precision was not showing. Draw.fps or something?

Anyway, I enjoyed the game even with the sluggish portions of gameplay!

Edit: Originally Posted by runudownquick
"...Hey for anyone wondering what the console command for onscreen fps is, perfoverlay.drawfps 1..."

Btw
3930k @stock
Titan sli x16x16 pcie 3.0 w/ skynet 1006 bios
5670x1080

I'll still have to mess with the game a bit more as I only played about 15 minutes before sleepy time.

Last edited:
TO SHOW FPS. it's no longer render.drawfps 1
perfoverlay.drawfps 1

So far in the few rounds that I have played, BF4 is only superior to BF3 because the colors and lighting it soooo much better in BF4. Other than that, so far I do not see any real changes.

Still a fun game though :)

So I played ( or tried to, at least ) get 2 games in last night on my boot camp WIN 7 ,27" iMac.

System specs:

i7@ 3.9 ghz
2560x1440 resolution
2GB GTX680mx
8gig ram

On bf3, with high settings, this thing played beautifully at a solid 60fps.

On this game, not at all. Don't know if it's because it's beta or the servers were overloaded at 1am or what. But god damn, most the time, it was unplayable at even mediums settings with all the fancy stuff turned off. I was surprised to say the least, hope it gets fixed fast!

But wow, I loved the scale and map design. It looks amazing from what I can tell and I LOVED the shooting mechanics now. I can't explain but it just feels better mowing down opponents now. Better feel to it! Spawning and everything with the live view is awesome and finally squad chat!

Last edited:
So far in the few rounds that I have played, BF4 is only superior to BF3 because the colors and lighting it soooo much better in BF4. Other than that, so far I do not see any real changes.

Still a fun game though :)

Man, it all depends on what you call "real" changes. I see many changes that affect the way I play the game.

That being said, if these are things you never cared about in BF3, then you probably don't care that they tweaked/fixed them in BF4.

Man, it all depends on what you call "real" changes. I see many changes that affect the way I play the game.

That being said, if these are things you never cared about in BF3, then you probably don't care that they tweaked/fixed them in BF4.

Only thing that really turned me off on BF3 was the stupid amounts of suppression which seems they have changed in BF4.

Any man changes that they have tweaked that you could help me look for? Will play some more tonight and will look.

man it runs like crap on the rig in my sig. Trying to figure out why. I have the latest Nvidia beta drivers installed. CPU is maxed out and I'm not even getting 60fps in low settings. Something easily I had done in BF3.

man it runs like crap on the rig in my sig. Trying to figure out why. I have the latest Nvidia beta drivers installed. CPU is maxed out and I'm not even getting 60fps in low settings. Something easily I had done in BF3.

Any reason why you turned HT off?

I've seen the game utilizing all 8 logical cores. I think HT is beneficial to this game.

Only thing that really turned me off on BF3 was the stupid amounts of suppression which seems they have changed in BF4.

Any man changes that they have tweaked that you could help me look for? Will play some more tonight and will look.

- Select spawn locations on the map (unlike in BF3 where you couldn't click on anything on the map)

- Two kinds of scopes on weapons for Support and Recon classes. Hit T to change them.

- Better suppression mechanics (like you mentioned)

- No supernova sun (so far)

- Squad voice chat (use Left Alt)

- Way more weapon customization. Probably won't see any of it on beta though.

These are some of things I can think of, off the top of my head. You may or may not care about them - but they make a difference to me.

HT was no good for me and BF3. Since BF3 was hexa threaded turning it off was perfect with my 3930k. I'll try it with it on but I somehow doubt that's the issue. I'm running stock clocks. I may have to crank the MHz to see if CPU is holding me back. It was GPU holding me back in BF3.

I turned everything to low, removed motion blur..... I finally seen 70 fps!.... Went back down, but it plays much smoother! I have nott checked my core usage though. I was wondering if it's due to multi monitors.

So many Nvidia users having performance issues. I think this is AMD's evil master plan when they bought the rights to BF4. Muhahahaha!

Ran it ultra @ 1080p with no problems. My evga classified 590 was really ramping up the fan though, loud enough to definitely hear it. I'll probably rework my case ventilation, currently using a corsair graphite 600 with 2x140mm fans feeding it air from the side.

Edit: or I'll just leave it alone and when it supernovas like the last one I'll have reason to upgrade

Anyone else play on multi screens? I was having huge sections of choppiness during times of firefights. What are some in game commands, my EVGA precision was not showing. Draw.fps or something?

Anyway, I enjoyed the game even with the sluggish portions of gameplay!

Edit: Originally Posted by runudownquick
"...Hey for anyone wondering what the console command for onscreen fps is, perfoverlay.drawfps 1..."

Btw
3930k @stock
Titan sli x16x16 pcie 3.0 w/ skynet 1006 bios
5670x1080

I'll still have to mess with the game a bit more as I only played about 15 minutes before sleepy time.

the game is running worse than bf3 was in surround.
im getting an average of 40 fps.

It's sounding like there is a Nvidia Surround issue. That sucks because eyefinity on radeons is broken currently at the driver level. Once you go multi you don't care for singly. :(

Anyone running this decently with a single GTX 670? Perhaps it was the server, but everyone else was getting terrible frames last night.

For reference, in BF4 I get 45-60 frame rates with 4x MSAA maxed out at 1080.

checking custom settings you can actually set higher settings then default ultra settings. Everything maxed on ultra at 2560 res, my sli Titans are cruising..no stuttering...very smooth

I must be one of the lucky few here. The game is running really really well on my computer. Have had no problem getting into games and just checked my fps and with everything on high, resolution at 2560x1600 on my 30in and getting a solid 45-60 never dipping bellow the 45. I think thats pretty amazing with a single GTX 670.

have not seen any crazy bugs either but have played for maybe a couple of hours. So far this is running better than bf3 and I actually like the map (also much better than last years beta, the metro map was crap)

Honestly, game feels like a joke. Feels "cheap," low quality. And I'm being serious. I hate the interface, I hate the HUD, I hate the menus. Thank god for the beta so I can pass on this trash.

Honestly, game feels like a joke. Feels "cheap," low quality. And I'm being serious. I hate the interface, I hate the HUD, I hate the menus. Thank god for the beta so I can pass on this trash.

Although I don't hate the Beta quite the way you do....I will admit that nothing imo compares to BF2. That game just felt like a real massive online MP game. When I flew vehicles in that game, I actually felt Like I was in a huge world map.......Even the gameplay felt right..(PC) right...not consolitis right....I wish I could get that gameplay feeling back....

Would have fun to at least try it, but.. no. I don't get to queue up on any server.

FgeYXbL.jpg

Played some today... It works, the map is fun to play as Conquest Large, netcode feels better, guns feel alright, better damage system on hecos, air vs land balance is alright this time.
The reload times on attack chopper make it so much harder to rape everything on land alone, yes that was serious issue with bf3 good chopper pilot and co-pilot could dominate most of the enemy team.

Performance wise... Well my "slightly" overclocked HD7970 didn't feel a thing while playing at 2560x1600. Granted I play most of my online shooters at lowest possible settings or those that give some benefit over having the game look "nicer".

10-15K score for most of the rounds after 1-2 rounds of warm up :)

What about the sounds? I'm not even liking that aspect. Think I have it on Home Cinema too.

Would have fun to at least try it, but.. no. I don't get to queue up on any server.

FgeYXbL.jpg

I've had this same issue a few times. Simply closing the browser was enough to solve it for me. Hopefully you'll get some playtime in.

I'm having trouble getting this game to run smoothly though. Can't seem to hold a solid frame rate and I'm lucky to get above 45fps on any setting. Running the latest AMD Beta2 drivers with crossfire enabled. Right now it feels like another BF3 map pack, not really grabbing my interest. I'll keep playing until they pull the plug on the beta, but it's gonna take some convincing to get me to shell out $60 for this right now...

I was going to complain about my frame rate, but I noticed the new NVidia drivers reverted to SLI being disabled, so once I enabled that, everything was super smooth again. Well, with the exception of knifing a person. The 3 times so far I got a knife kill, my frame rate plummeted.

Overall, I'm ambivalent so far. Feels more like an expansion than a new game.

I sent a tweet to BF the other day and they said an update to BL is going to come out soon. Hopefully that will fix the Android problems.

Having never played the Battlefield series (execpt for a demo on Xbox) I guess for me this will be something nice huh? The group I used to run with on Xbox played the old demo. We were trying to fly a chopper but everyone kept crashing. I tried and on the first go actually got it up and moving around. Everyone was hyped up. "T.O. got us flying!!!!" Problem was everyone kept telling me to "go here", "NO go here" so after a few moments of trying to fly everywhere at once I finally lost control and crash landed. We did walk away though so I didn't crash and kill everyone. I think the chopper got hit also.
That was a lot of fun and I learned a lesson. F' everybody else. I'm the pilot , we'll go where I want to us to go. LOL

Back