Battlefield 3: Will you be going SLI, or waiting for the next wave of cards?

I will play it on this almost 2 year old stock speed 5850HD with some options turned down.

I disagree with most here, 40 fps does not feel smooth at all. Even in the low 50's fram lag and unresponsiveness are apparent.

I disagree with most here, 40 fps does not feel smooth at all. Even in the low 50's fram lag and unresponsiveness are apparent.

In the end, people are different. However I feel that +30 fps is good. I really like 60 fps, and prefer it, however I also know that the money gap between 30 and 60 in the newest games is huge. For some people, turning down settings is an acceptable compromise, for others, allocating more funds is acceptable. We are all a diverse group of people.

I've never experienced 40's but 50+ feels perfectly fine, this is coming from someone who's only played games @ 60+ fps for 7+ years

Well I just bought another 580 3gb woooot. Now I gotta save up for a monitor with a res these things can really chew on. I have a 1920x1080 as it is. I know, I know, 3gb SLI is over the top for that but it'll slicker than a wet whatsit.

So excited!:D

If you upgrade to 2560x1600 or higher you may have to turn one of the AA modes off to get a decent frame rate, possibly more. Two GTX580s may be overkill at 1080p for most games, but for Battlefield 3? not really.

If you upgrade to 2560x1600 or higher you may have to turn one of the AA modes off to get a decent frame rate, possibly more. Two GTX580s may be overkill at 1080p for most games, but for Battlefield 3? not really.

I was just thinking the same thing really. I'm a real AA hound.

I upgraded from a 5970 to a HD 6990 for BF3 because the memory on this card just isn't cutting it for some games, otherwise it is able to run just about everything. I game at 1920x1200 but I want max details, high AA and high framerates and you need more than a gig of GPU ram to do this.

Yea, while crossfire will probably just get you to maxing out at 1080p, more than that (i.e. 1600p or eyefinity res's) and unfortunately crossfire won't get you quite there. So tempted to drop in tri-fire, but to do that right I'd have to switch out my board and then I'm sure I'd be tempted to watercool...and then...and then...

Its a sickness.

I bought my 5870 from an online retailer right around the time the 6000 series came out and only paid around 220$ if my memory serves me right.

I'll probably do the same thing and try to find a good deal on a pair of 6970's right around when the new cards are launched.

No both of mine are the Reference XFX 69502Gb. Though from what i understand people are having some luck unlocking the shaders on non reference cards. I wanted another Reference not only for the unlocking (dual bio switch) but also because of the fan style. Having a reference with a exhaust fan style, then one like you got would just heat up everything in my case more, cause the one you got takes case air and blows it right on the GPU, then the air heated bounces off and back into the case. I prefer exhaust.

I can totally understand a desire for the blower exhaust style of fan for some people. Personally I have VERY good ventilation in my case (Antec DF-85) 7 fans total moving a good bit of air. I'm not worried about heat buildup at all.

my 280GTX has the blower/exhaust fan and I must say it can get kinda loud/annoying with one single fan working its ass off trying to move so much air.

I have 2 identical rigs one has a 5970+5850 in CF the other a 6990.

The 5970+5850 rig nets me faster frame rates in Bf3 vs my 6990 rig. I plan on crossfiring the 6990 soon with a 6970 so I can blast some Eyefinity in Bf3 next month. :D

Crossfire performance must have improved somewhat then because I would previously have treated those configs as basically identical from a performance standpoint.

The 5970+5850 rig nets me faster frame rates in Bf3 vs my 6990 rig. I plan on crossfiring the 6990 soon with a 6970 so I can blast some Eyefinity in Bf3 next month. :D

I dont understand, how can you crossfire any of those cards? You can crossfire a 5970 with a 5850? 6990 is crossfire-able with a 6970 single gpu? Essentially tri fire right considering the 6990 is two 6970's in one GPU?

Btw saying that your crossfired cards run better than your 6990 is a bit of misinformation. I would assume the beta driver is holding back the true potential of your 6990 by a LOT. Once the final driver comes out i bet you will see a huge performance boost, and bit by bit improvements as CAPS and new drivers come out.

Yes, you can crossfire within the same series. The HD5970 forms part of the HD5800 series (as it's two HD5870s inside), and the same goes for the HD6990 and HD6970.

Yes, you can crossfire within the same series. The HD5970 forms part of the HD5800 series (as it's two HD5870s inside), and the same goes for the HD6990 and HD6970.

Oh ok, well thats cool. I wasnt on team red back when those cards came out, so i didnt know what they were.

HD3870X2: Crossfires with HD3870 and HD3850 not HD3690 or lower.
HD4870X2 (possibly HD4850X2 as well, not sure on that one): Crossfires with HD4890, HD4870 and HD4850, not sure about HD4830, not with HD4770, HD4670 or lower.
HD5970: Crossfires with HD5870, HD5850 and HD5830, not with HD5770 or lower.

I considered doing this as I have a 5970 but I would still be limited to 1GB memory on all GPU's and my 5970 is already starving for memory I don't see how the HD 6990 would lose at max details. Probably the beta and drivers are holding it back that extra memory should mean stutter free gameplay.

Well I am going to wait because I need to make a more powerful computer anyways. Trying to wait for GTX6xx series to come before I make my computer.

Well I am going to wait because I need to make a more powerful computer anyways. Trying to wait for GTX6xx series to come before I make my computer.

If by GTX6 you mean Kepler, then you've got almost a full year to wait...

I've been running with GTX275 SLI and it wasn't keeping up very well at 1920x1200. I went for two gtx560 ti 2gb cards and I'm happy with it. I know they'll certainly last me and I get minimum 50 fps on ultra and 4x AA. I'm glad I got the 2gb cards too, each get 1.5gb of used memory on my settings.

So, as the thread starter I find it appropriate to bump this thread to see what people now think that the finalized, polished version has been released.

From the little time I have spent playing, I know I have to do something. Be it another GTX570, or just waiting for the new wave of cards to come out, I just have to have better performance.

If I knew FOR SURE my PSU (750HX) would hold SLI'd 570s I'd go SLI. But, maybe I'll just wait for the next wave of cards, because I've never been a fan of SLI.

I think my ultimate decision will be based upon whether or not MW3 is also going to require more power.

Only time will tell.

What will you do?

Modern Warfare is not going to be as demanding as Battlefield 3 unless they get something catastrophically wrong with it...

Modern Warfare is not going to be as demanding as Battlefield 3 unless they get something catastrophically wrong with it...

I don't foresee that either, though I haven't really seen any speculation as to how it's going to run.

Historically speaking, Battlefield games have always pushed my PCs to their limits, and have made me want to upgrade. Usually, CoD series games usually run without kink.

Blackops was a lot more demanding than MW2 and the other CODs before it (which is pretty lulz since it looks the same, if not worse), so on that basis that MW3 looks the same as Blackops from the previews I've seen, I doubt it'd be much more demanding. BF3 requires three times the graphical performance that Blackops does.

I have a 480 and I don't feel the need to upgrade after playing BF3 at 2560x1920 for a while. I haven't touched the graphical options...looks pretty, seems to run well enough.

Likely SLI two gtx 570s, and upgrade to new 990 chipset and overclock my CPU to 4ghz range!

Have a second 560 Ti coming this week... looking forward to getting it. It's as much for Skyrim (hopefully) as BF3.

Probably going to wait for the new cards, my 560Ti is holding me over fine.

I have a single 6950 2gb, and will be adding a second one sometime here in the future. But BF3 runs fantastic 60fps solid with one right now on High settings.

yeah, about that. i bought a second gtx480 off of a forum member here. Now hitting about 70 fps averages on ultra settigns @ 1080p.

No regrets :)

right now i have a single GTX 480. It gets me playable 50-70 fps in BF3 on"High" settings @ 1920x1080.

Good card, but all of the sellers local to my area are selling their used ones for MORE than a gtx 570, which bothers me, because the 570 is pretty much on par with the 480 at 1080p resolution with lower noise, heat, and power consumption, and greater room for overclocks.

My goal is to get BF Ultra settings at 1080p as close to 120fps as possible, and the only way i can fathom doing that is getting a triple 670 (or whatever they call the next generation) setup. I want to play the single player in 3d, and have multiplayer super smooth.

So yes, i will be waiting for the next wave.

Currently using a 5850, but I want to run ultra settings. I'm not a big fan of ATI, had alot of problems. Would it be a better price to performance ratio to just add a 2nd 5850 or to get 2 560ti? I don't want to have to upgrade for a while.

Currently using a 5850, but I want to run ultra settings. I'm not a big fan of ATI, had alot of problems. Would it be a better price to performance ratio to just add a 2nd 5850 or to get 2 560ti? I don't want to have to upgrade for a while.

The game is still quite beautiful with textures at ultra, HBAO off, 4x AA, and everything else at high.

For those of you with powerful single card solutions, such as a GTX 5** series card...

Will you be throwing in a second for SLI, OR....

With the 7970 out, would you rather sell your old card and pick up the 7970?

Just installed my dual 7970's and averaging ~100fps on my 120hz 1080p Samsung, Ultra setting ( except Medium shadows) and 2x AA SuperSampling

For those of you with powerful single card solutions, such as a GTX 5** series card...

Will you be throwing in a second for SLI, OR....

With the 7970 out, would you rather sell your old card and pick up the 7970?

I have a single 560Ti and am building an Ivy Bridge rig when the new CPUs come out. Trying to decide if I should get another 560Ti or get a single 7950/7970 or Kepler (depending on $/performance).

560Ti SLI will be fast (and I only play 1920x1200 single display), but I'm worried about VRAM and minimum frame issues. BF3 is my main concern right now.

Back