Battlefield 3 on Xbox 360 Includes Hi-Res Texture Pack

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Battlefield 3 on the Xbox 360 will release on two disks that split up the single-player and multiplayer portions of the game and part of the data store on the second disk is a high resolution texture pack. “There’s a voluntary install on the 360,” Battlefield 3 producer Patrick Liu told GamerZines. “We’re pushing that technology to the limit, and compared to our competitors, I would argue that we’re the best looking game.”

Wow, this game might shine on the 360, Ill be playing it on my PC of course but great news for console only people.

Rumor has it to apparently that the PS3 doesn't need install to HD cause it can stream the rextures off the disc.

This makes me worry slightly if something capable of being shown on a crappy xbox is the "high resolution" pack :eek:

The PC version better be getting these high resolution textures to, if not...................................

yeah unfortunately the game is only rendered in 720p on consoles and then upscaled to your video choice. Not to mention only 30 fps.

Ill take PC any day of the week.

It's probably (at most) medium texture setting in the PC. I'm not sure how an upscaled 720p resolution can help in this case.

Any word on whether or not this "high res" texture pack will be coming to the PS3?

I have the beta on both XBOX 360 and PS3. I play both on my Dell U3011 monitor. The beta looks better on PS3. I have it on my Alienware M11x, too, but Origin refuses to activate the software. So, I can't play the PC version.

PS3 has a limit of 4096x4096 textures so I am guessing this does not apply to PS3.

The PC version better be getting these high resolution textures to, if not...................................

I'd imagine that the PC version already has these "hi-res textures" and that anything would come out with the pc version it'd be of higher quality. Judging by what I've seen from the beta so far.

Rumor has it to apparently that the PS3 doesn't need install to HD cause it can stream the rextures off the disc.

That would be a big pile of steaming...you know what...mostly becasue the blu-ray disc has a smaller throughput/read-speed than the xbox 360's dvd-rom drive. That and most data on blu-ray discs to get around the high seek times and low throughput tend to double the data on the disc so it can be read twice as the disc spins once. Hence the extra-storage is usually used for redundant 'backups' of data so the data can be read faster.

Unless the textures were really small in size, no way that could be the reason the ps3 doesn't need to install to HD. More than likely, it comes down the PS3's smaller texture size/buffer is why you don't need to install; that or the overhead from cpu/video card ram being less 'shared' that UMA the xbox 360 uses. :)

Then again, when do ps3 'rumors' make much sense at all??

At any rate, I'm sure they could easily put it on 1 disc with crap textures like their "competition*" would do...

*Call of Doodie: Madden Warfare '12: Guitar Hero on Fire eXtreem Special Operative Edition brought to you by Monster Energy Drink

I am actually shocked on 360 almost keeping and still keeps up with the current pc games

I am actually shocked on 360 almost keeping and still keeps up with the current pc games

By running lower quality textures, at a lower resolution, with less overall detail, and at lower framerate?

Yeah 360 is keeping up, to Intel integrated graphics :p

lmao .... threads like this just make me laugh out load and roll my eyes.

Now, every emo 18 year old on here is gonna run and tell his buddies, "yo brah, the 360 is getting hi-res textures an shit" ....

Not even going to comment

What's funny is that even the worse PC port of a console game is still better than it's console counter part.

I doubt it since Blu Ray is so damn slow. It'll most likely just be part of the mandatory install.

Can also find the post here as well.

IGN checked with EA, who mentioned that the PS3 does also have the high-resolution texture pack install, but on the same Blu-ray disc instead of two.

However, Liu described the Xbox 360 version's install as "voluntary" and an EA representative said that "the PS3 version requires the same install..."

http://www.examiner.com/playstation...tion-texture-pack-install-on-ps3-and-xbox-360

Is there a pack that fixes the sucky ass analog controls and frame rates?

And also the crap 512mb or less texture size limit in ram since the xbox ram is shared with system ram.

High res my ass, they mean high res for a crap console port.

This is one major reason consoles still suck... you can upgrade the graphics card, which is HIGHLY needed every 3 years or so. Not to mention the fact that kb+mouse is 10x better for shooter type games.

But.... hopefully Microsoft will use their brains and build a computer-worthy xbox 720 that has swappable CPU/GPU/Memory and modern quad-core+ unlimited power CPUs.... that would eliminate computers for many, many people..... and would improve gaming in general as they could focus on 1 platform instead of PC/360 separated.

This is one major reason consoles still suck... you can upgrade the graphics card, which is HIGHLY needed every 3 years or so. Not to mention the fact that kb+mouse is 10x better for shooter type games.

But.... hopefully Microsoft will use their brains and build a computer-worthy xbox 720 that has swappable CPU/GPU/Memory and modern quad-core+ unlimited power CPUs.... that would eliminate computers for many, many people..... and would improve gaming in general as they could focus on 1 platform instead of PC/360 separated.

Lol and microsoft would then be competing with itself, with people getting 360's instead of computers and their computer sales would drop. They have contracts with companies that sell PCs, and they make Windows which installs on PC's.

The 720 also will need to fit into a certain price range, your not gonna have a $300 xbox 720 with a i5/560Ti/6gb RAM equivalent for $300. Im sure the 720 will be just as average as the 360 back when it came out in terms of hardware specs.

Anyways, i am happy they have Hi-end graphic packs on the console versions, good for the console players. When i played the 360 beta it looked like crap visually so i am happy it will look better. They might be console players, but if they bought BF3 i want them to have fun and think its gorgeous just like i do when i play it on my PC.

The demo looked cartoonish as hell on my plasma anyway, is this supposed to fix that?

By running lower quality textures, at a lower resolution, with less overall detail, and at lower framerate?

Yeah 360 is keeping up, to Intel integrated graphics :p

Intel integrated graphics now runs things like Solidworks 2011, I know, I have used it. There's always going to be something better to choose to run heavy tasks, but not everyone needs or cares how many "FPS" something is running as long as it runs enough to be enjoyable.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of gamers is not represented at [H]. Most people will pop this in their 360 on the big HDTV, kick back on the couch with some friends and be in awe.....

Is there a pack that fixes the sucky ass analog controls and frame rates?

And also the crap 512mb or less texture size limit in ram since the xbox ram is shared with system ram.

High res my ass, they mean high res for a crap console port.

I seem to have figured out a solution to this problem for you. Don't buy the game. There, I just saved you $60 and, apparently, hours upon hours of completely justified frustration and mental anguish.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of gamers is not represented at [H]. Most people will pop this in their 360 on the big HDTV, kick back on the couch with some friends and be in awe.....

I don't think anyone was claiming otherwise. That doesn't change the fact that consoles still have terrible graphics compared to PCs though, whether people value that quality or not. A lot of people are fine with 128kbps mp3s too, but I'm not. I'm proud to not be part of the "vast majority". Have you seen that "vast majority" of people? :p ;)

I wouldn't interpret this as exclusive nonsense. I'd say the PS3 is getting the same treatment too.

PS3 won't be streaming the textures from disc. It doesn't need to. Sony lets developers make a mandatory hard drive install (either partial or full). It's a good guess that a PS3 BF3 install will put the textures on the much faster hard drive. The disc is used for less frequently accessed data.

Since the 360 started out with hard drive-less SKUs, MS is still catering to those specs despite the spacious hard drive inclusive SKUs around today. That's pretty much the reason why EA/DiCE? has to explain what's going on here. If MS would go ahead and let developers have mandatory hard drive installs with their games, then this separate install procedure on the 360 would be unecessary. It's just another sign of aging console specs.

Back