Battlefield 3 On a PC Make You Twice as Accurate?

Honestly with games being made for consoles and ported to PC, there's really no special reason to buy it on a PC anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming... but there's really no benefit to playing on the PC anymore if they keep making ports.
Only that isnt the case with BF3 now is it? And it hasnt been the case for long, last 3 years or so. Software vendors are also coming back around to the fact that the PC gaming industry is not in fact dead as reported by fan boys. They just need to make good games.

Look, your console failure time is coming, I predict it in the next year or so. Why? Because we are at the end of the console systems cycle and it takes quite a while for the new crowd of games to be made well for the next console. Gaming resources will shift to the next XBOX, PS3, and it will take time like the last generation for them to catch on. Consoles are fortunately for PC gamers cyclical and rise and fall like clock work. Console fanboys (not saying you are one) arent old enough to know this already and are doomed to repeat it.

Other problems with this port to consoles crap is the limited field of gaming that can be done on the consoles. PC's are more capable platforms as far as flexibility. Consoles gaming tends to be very linear, release an FPS, release an FPS, sprinkle with an RPG, release an FPS, release a driving simulator, redo the driving simulator, release an FPS, sprinkle another RPG, rinse repeat.

I am not a fanboy, just aware of the superior platform for the game I want to play. If I want a driving simulator, I will play Forza 4 (unfortunately I prefer the real thing and race at the track). If I want to rock out with my friends, I fire up Rock Band. If I want to play an FPS, sorry buddy, but PC is where it is at. RTS, sorry PC wins this again with a mouse and keyboard. Dance simulation, well an XBOX with motion sensor surely (not a huge fan either. Each platform has its merit.

Just getting tired of console junkies telling me the console is the best for FPS, it just isnt.

I have stopped playing fps on pc solely due to cost of keeping up with the latest and greatest hardware. I find console much more relaxed. Plus most of my friends play on the 360 vs pc. Its also a much more enjoyable experience to play on a couch vs a screen on a desk. Overall though my accuracy sucks in comparison to a keyboard and mouse. Its all about pro and con of each platform. Yes the graphics aren't as good but honestly its more about your own enjoyment of the game.

I would be at my happiest for a means to play via keyboard and mouse on the 360. Why? Because I love playing on PC first and foremost, but the people I enjoy playing regularly with are family members who can't justify the cost it takes to keep up to date on PC hardware, nor do they want to deal with any issues. So for them the 360 makes more sense to have. Thing is, I hate the controller because it feels awkward in most games for me.

I was in a similar situation so I got a XIM3. I like it a lot, even though it takes a little tweaking to get everything set just the way you want. You have to watch out, though, because you may end up spending as much as you would for a good gaming computer.

My setup:
XIM3 = ~$150
Wired Xbox Controller = $30
Razer Nostromo = $60
Razer Diamondback = I don't know, I've had it forever and move it between my PC & Xbox
Ratpadz XT = $20 (Move it back and forth, too)
Astro 5.8 Wireless Mixamp & battery = ~$175
Corsair HS1A = $50

That doesn't even include the cost of the Xbox or TV. I was decent with the controller, but I'm doing a lot better with the mouse & keyboard. Don't underestimate how good some people are with a controller, though. You will also notice the auto aim when you know you had the jump on someone and watch the kill cam to see that you shooting them brought their reticle right to your head.

I no longer use a traditional kb, but a G13... Left hand right hand is of no matter. Skill and having the more precise mouse is a shooter is always superior on a PC.

Just to be clear, I do still use mouse to aim.

Hadn't really considered the G-13 in place of my controller (or keyboard), but now you got me interested. Thanks, I'm gonna go check them out. Looks like it would be more comfortable and more buttons as well.

Add in the lack of quick fine control with the analog sticks on the controller and FPS games just aren't fun on consoles.

For those that really dislike the console controllers, there are mice available for consoles as well. Never tried them though, so I can't comment on quality. My brother uses them and says it's not a bad mouse but not spectacular either.

wait... I can't read the article from work..

so is he actually comparing keyboard/mouse combo vs gamepad, yet it's titled pc vs console?

This.
I guess this may not have been common sense knowledge.

motivationalpostercommo.jpg

Obviously (imo) mouse/keyboard is a superior control for FPS.

I think it's purely a easier hand/eye coordination thing. Its easier for the brain to move an object a certain distance in a certain direction to move an on screen item, then to judge start/stop the analog stick (which essentially does NOT move). Not to mention some games move faster the farther you push the analog stick (rather then just moving a mouse faster).

While both have some or ratio of actual movement (of controller) = Movement of targeting, the analog stick method is just more complex (more unnatural hand/eye coordination calcs).

I honestly hate when some defenders of the controller will say it takes more "skill". That's like saying it takes more skill cut a tomato with a butter knife instead of a real knife. Or golfing with 1 arm instead of 2 etc.

While yes, it probably does take more of a certain skill, why would you? You could use that time learning the extra needed skill on other aspects of your chosen game/skill.
There is a hardware limitation with controllers. For example, the mouse can move as far as you want so long as you have the space to do it on. With the controller when you max the stick to a position you then begin to move at a steady rate. That rate doesn't change, cause you can't move the stick any further. You could increase the response of the joystick, but you'd lower the accuracy of you actions.

While it does take more skill to operate a controller, there are physical limitations. Try doing a 360 on your Xbox 360, and then try doing it on your PC. It's damn near instant on the PC isn't it?

Only that isnt the case with BF3 now is it? And it hasnt been the case for long, last 3 years or so. Software vendors are also coming back around to the fact that the PC gaming industry is not in fact dead as reported by fan boys. They just need to make good games.

Look, your console failure time is coming, I predict it in the next year or so. Why? Because we are at the end of the console systems cycle and it takes quite a while for the new crowd of games to be made well for the next console. Gaming resources will shift to the next XBOX, PS3, and it will take time like the last generation for them to catch on. Consoles are fortunately for PC gamers cyclical and rise and fall like clock work. Console fanboys (not saying you are one) arent old enough to know this already and are doomed to repeat it.

Other problems with this port to consoles crap is the limited field of gaming that can be done on the consoles. PC's are more capable platforms as far as flexibility. Consoles gaming tends to be very linear, release an FPS, release an FPS, sprinkle with an RPG, release an FPS, release a driving simulator, redo the driving simulator, release an FPS, sprinkle another RPG, rinse repeat.

I am not a fanboy, just aware of the superior platform for the game I want to play. If I want a driving simulator, I will play Forza 4 (unfortunately I prefer the real thing and race at the track). If I want to rock out with my friends, I fire up Rock Band. If I want to play an FPS, sorry buddy, but PC is where it is at. RTS, sorry PC wins this again with a mouse and keyboard. Dance simulation, well an XBOX with motion sensor surely (not a huge fan either. Each platform has its merit.

Just getting tired of console junkies telling me the console is the best for FPS, it just isnt.

Here's an interesting video you should watch. I just recently discovered these guys, and they do talk in depth about the gaming industry. This episode talks about how the death of console gaming is coming. Now remember, these guys are people who are actively involved in the gaming industry.

No matter how much of a console fanboy you are, you can't argue that this guy isn't right. Oddly, PCs are except from this. More then likely, you'll see PCs merge with these new emerging methods of redistribution. After all, we're ahead of the game. We already have Steam.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/consoles-are-the-new-coin-op

I have stopped playing fps on pc solely due to cost of keeping up with the latest and greatest hardware.
I got a few questions.

#1 How many Xbox 360's or PS3's have you been through? These machines tend to grenade often, and usually results in the person needing to go and buy a new machine. While these machines are cheap, I'm willing to bet you spent more money on replacing them, and their peripherals within the last 5 years these machines have existed.

For example, this machine is a perfect and yet cheap gaming machine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229254
I find console much more relaxed. Plus most of my friends play on the 360 vs pc. Its also a much more enjoyable experience to play on a couch vs a screen on a desk. Overall though my accuracy sucks in comparison to a keyboard and mouse. Its all about pro and con of each platform. Yes the graphics aren't as good but honestly its more about your own enjoyment of the game.
Your friends maybe on 360, but I doubt they don't own a PC. You guys have Facebook right? I'm sure you communicate a lot without a console. Plus, you can hook your PC up to your TV. There isn't a reason for you not to do this.

LULZ I love how dumb the console noobs sound when you tell the the mouse is faster and 12 times more accurate than there crap analog sticks.

They never fucking understand because they have never done it in there lifes yet they can see that when they move arrow cursors on stuff like the ps3 web browser that it don't work like a god damn mouse.

talking to consle noobs is like talking to brick walls of ignorance and clulessnes

Oh and there never understand that the damn PC games look better than the console crap on low setting either and they think a real PC cost more tan there crap walmart special laptops or desktops.

The fact that this guy is twice as accurate playing BF3 on the PC versus a console isn't that surprising, is it? Have you guys played it on more that one platform yet? What are your thoughts?

said it before and will always say it again: kb/mouse > controller for anything remotely close to FPS games

LULZ I love how dumb the console noobs sound when you tell the the mouse is faster and 12 times more accurate than there crap analog sticks.

They never fucking understand because they have never done it in there lifes yet they can see that when they move arrow cursors on stuff like the ps3 web browser that it don't work like a god damn mouse.

talking to consle noobs is like talking to brick walls of ignorance and clulessnes

Oh and there never understand that the damn PC games look better than the console crap on low setting either and they think a real PC cost more tan there crap walmart special laptops or desktops.

Every PC user i know has atleast a couple of joypads, so i'd assume that they actually pretty common among PC gamers. They're overall in a better position to judge which controller is better.

No matter how much of a console fanboy you are, you can't argue that this guy isn't right.
Sure I can. He's wrong. The xbox360 and ps3 are going to be officially supported for at least the next 5 years and I suspect people will still be playing on them ten years from now. People are *still* buying the ps2, btw.

Every PC user i know has atleast a couple of joypads, so i'd assume that they actually pretty common among PC gamers. They're overall in a better position to judge which controller is better.

I bought a usb Xbox 360 controller just to play Final Fantasy X on my PC. How did I get that game running? I used an emulator. Why instead of a keyboard+mouse? Cause the game wasn't meant for those controls, and there are some games better off with a controller.

In terms of First Person Shooters, a controller is just horrible.

"ONLY twice as accurate?" was me reaction to the article :)

There's some video floating around on YouTube that shows a XBOX user playing the Scout in Team Fortress 2 which doesn't support aim-assist (as far as I know). Needless to say he killed nothing and was meleed to death by a medic. It's depressing stuff to say the least.

I can never get used to using thumbs. Thumbs are for holding coffee cups.

it always makes me laugh when these threads draw out the console haters. get a pc and a console. best of both worlds. more games = more fun.

Someone hinted at this earlier in the thread, but..

What would really be awesome is if they allowed, purely for a one time demonstration, a team of console users to go up against a team of PC users. After the slaughter, they would finally get it through their heads that playing an FPS is better on the PC.

It wouldn't even have to be a professional team. Just average users. Average users would actually be better for this sort of test so the losing side couldn't say anything about experience or what not.

it always makes me laugh when these threads draw out the console haters. get a pc and a console. best of both worlds. more games = more fun.

I have a Xbox 360, and the thing just collects dust. Nearly any game worth a damn comes out on PC, and if not on console release day then just a few months later.

It maybe because I'm too damn lazy to move away from my PC, and don't feel like finding AA batteries for the control, which always seems dead for some reason. I still haven't even bothered to try Halo Reach, but my PC gaming bias will always be telling me that a console FPS is just worse then anything on PC. It's usually right. Plus, someone is always using the TV to watch crap anyway.

Bullshit. The negative mouse acceleration totally ruins all firefights for me as I like to run and gun.

albeit in a different game I played really comfortable halo x360 players on a game that was a few years old (halo wars) with them on a pc and keyboard and myself on a pc and keyboard with a lan connection and it wasnt even close

If they had PC controls for a console I'd be an xbox owner right now. The controllers have been the biggest turn off on consoles for me.

If they had PC controls for a console I'd be an xbox owner right now. The controllers have been the biggest turn off on consoles for me.

Get a XIM3 for ~$150 and use whatever mouse, keyboard, joystick you want.

Can you play FPS games on XBOX or PS3 w/mouse & keyboard?

Got I want so bad to play vs. console players using my PC - guess MS and Sony feel the console players have to be protected from the PC gamers?

Get a XIM3 for ~$150 and use whatever mouse, keyboard, joystick you want.

Cool - the xim3 website was down when I posted earlier, but it's back up now - I like the quote I saw on the video explaining how PC gamers dominated console gamers every time in "testing" :D Hehe, I thought so.

The only thing that will kill FPS on consoles in xim3. So represent. I got mine readied for mw3.

Back