Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Thanks for the compliment, and glad I could be of any service. If the games ends up sucking, you may knife my repeatedly. ;)

I will definitely take you up on that offer should the exodus of BF4 players occurs! Lol.

Just getting back into this game after upgrading my video card and monitor. Really looking forward to BF4, I was quite disappointed in BF3 and I still feel it lacks a lot, looks like the new one will be much more complete.

I have to disagree. Frostbite 3 is built on Frostbite 2, so of course they LOOK similar. However after watching all the E3 live streams and playing the Alpha for the last 10 days, I don't believe this is the case. Sure there are a lot of similarities, but there are many critical differences.

There are the obvious features such as Commander mode and Team / Squad VOIP that are returning from BF2. These alone change the game significantly, particularly the way they are implementing Commander mode (not in the Alpha, so we'll have to wait for Beta before this can truly be tested).

Then you have the reworked Squad perk system that can be customized by you to a degree, but always requires a Squad to work together and play the objectives to advance it.

We now have 5 man squads and classes that are built to depend on each other more. For instance each class runs with reduced ammo capacity compared to BF3.

Levolution changes the game a great deal more than just creating spectacles like falling Skyscrapers. You can close the shutters on shops cutting off large entry ways to capture points and creating a lot more cover for yourself. This cover can be destroyed, but unlike BC2 where a few C4 will bring a whole building down, it takes more work to remove that much cover. Don't get me wrong, it has not swung the other way and become impossible, but it feels more realistic now, not so gimmicky. You also have metal detectors that give away your position if you're not careful, plus larger, more detailed maps that force you to use your head more. The new boats no longer suck, but are fast, more durable and actually useful.

There are other changes that make the game feel and play more authentically, such as audio that is even better than BF3 (didn't think that was possible), updated vehicle and player physics, and an entirely new weather system. That said, the changes I experience most while playing, are changes to bring back the teamwork of BF2, and expand the destruction of BC2.

This is a new game. Of course it is going to look and play similar to BF3, but my impression playing it has not been "This is BF3.5". Granted this is Alpha and my personal opinion, but I've played BF since 1942, have over 1300hrs in BF2 and at least 500hr in every other BF game (released on PC). I am a fan of this franchise, and one the criticized it harshly when it walked away from its roots. I have high hopes, and like you, am prepared if they get dashed. I'm just not seeing evidence of that so far.

Seems to match what I can conclude, BF3 for me pretty much sucked so much I cant play it.
BF4 on the other hand brings the tactical and strategical element back with more options so it seems to be a fun game.
3 years with bf1942 and 5+ with Bf2 but Bf3 simply put was so bad I wondered what dice had gone seems they sold out.
no alpha for me but dont care about that, hopefully Bf4 can be the game Bf3 should been.

I gave Hardcore Mode a good crack tonight and it felt pretty good. It didn't take six bullets to kill a guy, there was still a mini-map, and I felt far less agitated from getting the drop on people only to have them bunny-hop to safety with 3% health left.

I will definitely be sticking to Hardcore from now on. BF3 is actually a half-decent game in that mode.

Also, I have lowered my resolution to 1024x768, and all graphics settings are at the bare minimum. Obviously, it looks like complete ass but I now actually have a passable frame-rate.

I gave Hardcore Mode a good crack tonight and it felt pretty good. It didn't take six bullets to kill a guy, there was still a mini-map, and I felt far less agitated from getting the drop on people only to have them bunny-hop to safety with 3% health left.

I will definitely be sticking to Hardcore from now on. BF3 is actually a half-decent game in that mode.

Also, I have lowered my resolution to 1024x768, and all graphics settings are at the bare minimum. Obviously, it looks like complete ass but I now actually have a passable frame-rate.

Every time I play HC it turns into the lamest rpg, m320, shotgun spam fest. Plus a sniper can hit you in the toe from across the map and you're down.

Every time I play HC it turns into the lamest rpg, m320, shotgun spam fest. Plus a sniper can hit you in the toe from across the map and you're down.

Not to mention teamkilling trolls and griefers. I tried HC many times since the game came out, there were brief moments where I thought okay this is cool, but overwhelmingly it was the TK'ers that ran my patience dry. Example spawn into an aircraft. Nope. Shot out by the "teammate" standing next to it and he takes it. And the punish/forgive script circlejerk.. Just forget it.

Not to mention teamkilling trolls and griefers. I tried HC many times since the game came out, there were brief moments where I thought okay this is cool, but overwhelmingly it was the TK'ers that ran my patience dry. Example spawn into an aircraft. Nope. Shot out by the "teammate" standing next to it and he takes it. And the punish/forgive script circlejerk.. Just forget it.

I always wished for a hybrid.

- Damage model from Hardcore
- No health/vehicle regen
- Hud on without 3d-spotting
- No team damage

It'd play a tad more like BF2/BF42 that way.

Err...weird. Posted a reply to this thread earlier today, now it's gone. Same happened in the PoE thread from a reply I posted last night.

- No team damage

Make your own server and you can change the options to be like this

- No team damage

Sounds good to me.

Make your own server and you can change the options to be like this

And never have anyone join because it falls into the blackhole of custom server profile, a problem since most people just search for default if they're searching for HC in the first place.
Hard enough to keep a normal/vanilla server with instant-vehicles (ugh) populated these days. HC, let alone a custom HC? Forget it.

So my only question is will BF4 better take into account the younger, CoD-crossover demographic they were so intent on getting with BF3, and change the default HC settings to be more childproof (no TK).

Sounds good to me.

And never have anyone join because it falls into the blackhole of custom server profile, a problem since most people just search for default if they're searching for HC in the first place. .

Maybe people don't search for those because they don't want to play on them, and that's why they wouldn't be populated? Ya think? :)

From the BF4 alpha it looks like the incredibly intelligent game designers at DICE (the same people who have worked out how to make 5 go into 64 evenly) are making it so that it will require even more bullets to kill people in non-HC Mode.

Spidey's hybrid model sounds really good. I'd definitely play BF4 if it had that.

That sniper issue could be easily fixed by making the sniper rifles do less damage when hitting limbs. Even COD has this one worked out. "But DICE."

- No team damage

I set up my clan's server like that for awhile, but we could never get it populated because of EA's "standardized gameplay" bullshit making it a custom server. But then they allow for instaspawns on normal servers...

I set up my clan's server like that for awhile, but we could never get it populated because of EA's "standardized gameplay" bullshit making it a custom server. But then they allow for instaspawns on normal servers...

insta-vehicles are easily my biggest pet peeve in the game, since it makes taking out enemy aircraft and armor meaningless, doesn't buy you any breathing room the way the default vehicle spawntime does, and 5 seconds later that Lvl13 is back on your ass yet again determined to get his big r3v3nge k1ll. basically kills the rock-paper-scissors, ebb and flow of the game, the aircraft are always in the air, the mobile AA is always firing, and endless waves of tanks roll up on your infantry.. every vehicle basically becomes persistent on a full server, 100% uptime.

I asked the main vehicle balance guy at DICE (Gustav Halling) via twatter why servers with modified vehicle spawn timer dont become custom profile, all he bothered to say was 'well you can advanced search to avoid instant servers' .. Unfortunately that approach usually means no servers in the results.

Last edited:
insta-vehicles are easily my biggest pet peeve in the game, since it makes taking out enemy aircraft and armor meaningless, doesn't buy you any breathing room the way the default vehicle spawntime does, and 5 seconds later that Lvl13 is back on your ass yet again determined to get his big r3v3nge k1ll. basically kills the rock-paper-scissors, ebb and flow of the game, the aircraft are always in the air, the mobile AA is always firing, and endless waves of tanks roll up on your infantry.. every vehicle basically becomes persistent on a full server, 100% uptime.

I asked the main vehicle balance guy at DICE (Gustav Halling) via twatter why servers with modified vehicle spawn timer dont become custom profile, all he bothered to say was 'well you can advanced search to avoid instant servers' .. Unfortunately that approach usually means no servers in the results.

Ya, I actually had my server set to 150% vehicle spawn time to slow down the pacing a bit. I coupled it with 200% tickets, made for about 30-40 minute rounds, perfect IMO. Vanilla was won in the first push, really boring.

My server peaked at 6th in the world on gametracker, but then fell because of all the DDoS's and server failures on DICE's end. Really fucking annoying.

Oh well. Plan on having a BF4 server at release, we'll see how it handles... And see if they don't fuck over the admins again...

Ya, I actually had my server set to 150% vehicle spawn time to slow down the pacing a bit. I coupled it with 200% tickets, made for about 30-40 minute rounds, perfect IMO. Vanilla was won in the first push, really boring.

My server peaked at 6th in the world on gametracker, but then fell because of all the DDoS's and server failures on DICE's end. Really fucking annoying.

Oh well. Plan on having a BF4 server at release, we'll see how it handles... And see if they don't fuck over the admins again...

A server doing that well and then get knocked down due to outside interference, that sucks, I know how hard it is to keep a server going - minimally you need a whole clan helping to keep seeded and keep it going, these days anyway.

And I do hope they boost the privacy settings for Battlelog in BF4 because as it stands now its way too easy for griefers to follow people server to server, not to mention when twitch streamers join a server and the server gets DDos'd, its the server and all the other players that suffer not to mention owner/admin that's paying $70/month for the privilege.

Last edited:
Ya, DDoS'ing was rampant in BF3. If you were a Top 50 server, you could pretty much guarantee getting hit every night. Seems like every kiddie has a low orbit ion cannon these days.

Im having a graphics problem with BF3. When I join a server my screen will flash to very dark colors especially when I stop moving. This happens when I join my first server for the day. I have to back out and rejoin and then it usually is back to normal.

I have Ivy bridge processor, GTX 670 SLI, 16GB ram. 120hz screen. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions..

Im having a graphics problem with BF3. When I join a server my screen will flash to very dark colors especially when I stop moving. This happens when I join my first server for the day. I have to back out and rejoin and then it usually is back to normal.

I have Ivy bridge processor, GTX 670 SLI, 16GB ram. 120hz screen. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions..

Might even want to roll back to older drivers, from before you were having issues.

if i remember right, it doesnt. It didnt happen last night so i didnt do the drivers yet.

Having issues with when I first load the game it will always start in windowed mode even though it is set for full screen. Alt-enter does not work and nothing I do in the setting works. Any suggestions?

Having issues with when I first load the game it will always start in windowed mode even though it is set for full screen. Alt-enter does not work and nothing I do in the setting works. Any suggestions?

Pretty sure that's normal, just double click the top if the window if I remember correctly.

In the options, turn off fullscreen, restart, turn on fullscreen. If you haven't tried that already.

Closing Teamviwer worked for BF3 and Neverwinter. Thanks for the suggestion.

The new Crossfire drivers have made a huge difference in this game. The most noticeable difference is when scoping in, particularly as a gunner in a vehicle. Before it was very "stuttery"; now it's very smooth. Hopefully they continue to improve upon it.

Back