Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

question about the filter in bf3

i just want to play team dm in CQ, but for some reason I am being sent to empty games

i just reset everything. What do I have to check? thanks, sorry for the dumb question

question about the filter in bf3

i just want to play team dm in CQ, but for some reason I am being sent to empty games

i just reset everything. What do I have to check? thanks, sorry for the dumb question

Open the multiplayer page which has all the filters.

Under GAME, select the CQ expansion.
In MODES, selectTeam DM and Team DM 16
In FREE SLOTS, select all the boxes except Empty.

This is the minimum you need to do to get the kind of matches you want. You can further customize this by choosing your region or the game size etc.

I tried taking a screenshot of this but all I got was a black screen wtf.. anyways one of the coolest things ever I saw in the game happened tonight. On a CQ match, a teammate dies. He dies on top of an enemy claymore but doesn't set it off. I rez him. For about a minute the CLAYMORE IS STUCK ON HIS BACK! It was so awesome looking, wish the screenshot had worked. The guy (recon class) was just running around with a freaking claymore sticking out of his back hahahaha.

I tried taking a screenshot of this but all I got was a black screen wtf.. anyways one of the coolest things ever I saw in the game happened tonight. On a CQ match, a teammate dies. He dies on top of an enemy claymore but doesn't set it off. I rez him. For about a minute the CLAYMORE IS STUCK ON HIS BACK! It was so awesome looking, wish the screenshot had worked. The guy (recon class) was just running around with a freaking claymore sticking out of his back hahahaha.
LOL, that's a new one. Never seen that before.

Check out this weird glitch I saw...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miy7WbDnrCE

*also bonus wheelie vid :)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKhV_us1GVE

Just reached col 99, getting kinda bored.... Ughhh I wish there was another interesting game out right now.....

Just reached col 99, getting kinda bored.... Ughhh I wish there was another interesting game out right now.....

Make BF3 vids like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfYMmaBkKI4

^^^^ defiantly worth watching, some good lulz ^^^^

Post what part you like best.

@2:13 Funny private bathroom scene.
@2:50 N*ggaz With Attitude "Straight Outta Compton" with all the black BF guys mobbin down the street was hilarious.

Last edited:

This is the minimum you need to do to get the kind of matches you want. You can further customize this by choosing your region or the game size etc.

Ok, thank you man I will try that. I believe I missed the free slot one. Thank you for the info, just wanted a simple game of team dm :)

ok I checked the settings you told me and the first map I was sent to was tehran highway and then norshar canal... are these settings good for Quickmatch (which is what what I want to do, but idk if they have players there)

under preset, normal is checked and Ranked/Punkbuster is checked under Detailed. Should Map rotation be checked as well? I have the region set to North America

should I check the CQ maps on the right? i dont know why BF3 is making this so difficult.. really frustrating.. thanks

Cool vid, performance looks to be pretty good even when recording. You often play TDM canals? I've only played a few times, but I really enjoy it, super fast paced action.

Just had a pretty good round tonight with my buddy teh_unborn, can't believe he took my 1st :(

TDM Canals, 600 ticket 32man sever, 30 minute round time, check out that point seperation lol...
tdmcanals.png

I will try it out tomorrow night and let you know what I think.

ok I checked the settings you told me and the first map I was sent to was tehran highway and then norshar canal... are these settings good for Quickmatch (which is what what I want to do, but idk if they have players there)

under preset, normal is checked and Ranked/Punkbuster is checked under Detailed. Should Map rotation be checked as well? I have the region set to North America

should I check the CQ maps on the right? i dont know why BF3 is making this so difficult.. really frustrating.. thanks

If you hover your mouse over the quick match button on the server browser page, it should show you the filter settings that will be used when it looks for a match. I'm not sure why you were sent into vanilla maps if you had chosen only the CQ expansion. I took a screenshot of how you'd want to set up your filters. Hopefully it'll be helpful - http://i.imgur.com/3ki7VCL.jpg

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1039538874 said:
Cool vid, performance looks to be pretty good even when recording. You often play TDM canals? I've only played a few times, but I really enjoy it, super fast paced action.

Just had a pretty good round tonight with my buddy teh_unborn, can't believe he took my 1st :(

TDM Canals, 600 ticket 32man sever, 30 minute round time, check out that point seperation lol...
tdmcanals.png

I will try it out tomorrow night and let you know what I think.

yea play them alot

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...peed-up-your-Internet-and-network-connections

netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled
netsh int tcp set global dca=enabled
netsh int tcp set global netdma=enabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enabled

I think I'm gonna pass. Looks like most of these commands "transfer various network connection processing tasks from your PC's CPU to the network adapter, thus freeing up valuable processor time for other things." Not really needed with my 2600k running @ 5ghz.

The only one that sounds like it could be helpful is...

"netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp"

Add-On Congestion Control Provider
A regular network connection will send data in small blocks initially, increasing these only gradually to help avoid network congestion. Compound TCP takes a different approach, ramping up your TCP window size much more aggressively, and so enabling this may improve performance.
If NETSH currently reports that your "Add-On Congestion Control Provider" is "none," then, try entering the command:
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
and rebooting to enable Compound TCP.

But doing any of these tweeks could cause more issues then help, It's hit or miss. Some people it helps them out, others see no difference and might even get connection issues.

Playing with the network smoothing factor in BF3 would probably help more than these commands would...

Ya probably.

I have my BF3 Network Smoothing Factor bar all the way to the right. What about you guys?

*Edit...

Wow just read some really interesting stuff on what that slider does.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654347784303619/

"Slide it to the left and you will receive less data from the server... resulting in lower latency, better hit reg and some choppy animations.

Slide it to the right and you will receive more data from the server... resulting in higher latency, lower hit reg and better animations.
"

"the lower the slider is, the more "true" picture will be where enemies are, which is important for hit boxes and accuracy, how ever the side effect is choppy animations, you have to consider these two things like a balance"

"A lower setting of the network smoothing factor is for better/faster interwebz connection, but a too low value might cause visual corruption."

I have a 25mb down 20mb up connection...

Looks like I'm going bring that slider all the way to left tonight or around the 10-30% mark, really all I care about is hit detection.

I wish I would have done some more research on this before, already 400hrs in.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1039539878 said:
Ya probably.

I have my BF3 Network Smoothing Factor bar all the way to the right. What about you guys?

*Edit...

Wow just read some really interesting stuff on what that slider does.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654347784303619/

"Slide it to the left and you will receive less data from the server... resulting in lower latency, better hit reg and some choppy animations.

Slide it to the right and you will receive more data from the server... resulting in higher latency, lower hit reg and better animations.
"

"the lower the slider is, the more "true" picture will be where enemies are, which is important for hit boxes and accuracy, how ever the side effect is choppy animations, you have to consider these two things like a balance"

"A lower setting of the network smoothing factor is for better/faster interwebz connection, but a too low value might cause visual corruption."

I have a 25mb down 20mb up connection...

Looks like I'm going bring that slider all the way to left tonight or around the 10-30% mark, really all I care about is hit detection.

I wish I would have done some more research on this before, already 400hrs in.

I got 30/5 connection and I had to bring that shit all the way down (2 ticks to the right) because my bullets wouldnt register. They still wont sometimes but its an improvement I guess.

If you hover your mouse over the quick match button on the server browser page, it should show you the filter settings that will be used when it looks for a match. I'm not sure why you were sent into vanilla maps if you had chosen only the CQ expansion. I took a screenshot of how you'd want to set up your filters. Hopefully it'll be helpful - http://i.imgur.com/3ki7VCL.jpg

really appreciate the screenshot. I had the game BF3 game itself checked as well (not sure if it would make a difference) but yea I had those exact settings. SHould I have map rotation on or will the game rotate the maps? Ill try again, thanks a lot for the help and SS.

Last edited:
anyone else having problems with their bullets registering? I swear it seems like I have an empty out a clip everytime just to kill someone while these guys kill me in like 2 or 3 hits. Im reading around and apparently im not the only one who has this issue... hate to sound like a bitch but man I hate seeing these guys run around when I know they should be dead lol

anyone else having problems with their bullets registering? I swear it seems like I have an empty out a clip everytime just to kill someone while these guys kill me in like 2 or 3 hits. Im reading around and apparently im not the only one who has this issue... hate to sound like a bitch but man I hate seeing these guys run around when I know they should be dead lol

You're probably missing because you're spraying all over the place. Try slowly bursting instead of ham fisting the left mouse button.

When I first started playing BC2 I felt the same way you do about BF3. Then I learned to shoot.

You're probably missing because you're spraying all over the place. Try slowly bursting instead of ham fisting the left mouse button.

When I first started playing BC2 I felt the same way you do about BF3. Then I learned to shoot.
I did about 20 minutes of testing last night going through a few different guns and checking out recoil patterns with different attachments.
Regardless of what's equipped you get a crazy spread pattern with alot of "ghost bullets" after you hold the button down for a solid 1.5-2 seconds. So even with adjusting for recoil to keep the pattern tight after 1.5-2 seconds the spread will double in size and be all over the place, this is when you get no hit detection. The best bet is to always burst or tap that fire button. I do this with all guns, almost kinda treat it like a semi auto. It really helps.

I'm really diggin the QBB-95 with heavy barrol for the support class. Fits my run N' gun style. Almost seems like an assault rifle, but has a big 75 round clip and the bullet speed is really good.

http://symthic.com/bf3-weapon-comparison#32-32-02-04

I have my net smoothing at about 30%. It seems to vary with the different servers but 30% seems about right to me.

QBB-95 has a 3 shot burst mode I believe? If your gun has that mode, use it. Yes to the short taps. If you spray, you best pray son!

Last edited:
Never even noticed the Network Smoothing option before! It was all the way up. Got that shit all the way down now.

DUDE, sweet RPG kills on those heli's. I haven't played enough with BF3's RPG to do that yet.

But back in the day I was BEAST mode with RPG/AT4 in JointOperations(2004-2006), check out some of these epic RPG kills I got with crazy lead times and very hard "air 2 air" kills, funny how good you get in a game when you put in 2000hrs worth of time played...

http://youtu.be/AeBZWk7KSMI?t=21s&hd=1
^@0:54 sec is my favorite, have to follow the flight pattern of the pilot.

My network smoothing placebo bar is in the middle. I've tried 100% and 0% and I can't tell a difference.
LOL I have my placebo bar at 30%, not sure if I can tell difference. Will hafta test some more right now.

One thing that ruins this game for me is people switching teams at the first sign of losing. After 3 or 4 people do this (and believe me, they WILL), the losing team is not only out-skilled but out-numbered. This leads to an extremely unfair game that's not enjoyable at all.

Does anyone know of a server that doesn't all people to switch teams if it will unbalance the teams? Is it even possible in this game?

Why did DICE make a game that lends itself to such abuse? Not allowing team switching if it will unbalance the game is a feature standard in almost every online FPS I've ever played. Why not BF3? Is there a reason?

Weird. In the servers I play on there's usually an autoadmin that moved people back if the scores are uneven.

Back