Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

What are we scavanging for? Shit load of guns everywhere, they should call it DM with weapon pick up. For the love of god why the fuck is every single map so bright? Did someone move our planet directly next to the sun? Yo dawg we heard you like HDR lighting, here have some jizz! Achievement unlocked! :rolleyes:

If you already have a gun and there are teammates areound you who don't have guns, DON'T GRAB THE GUN

If anyone hasn't listened to the new maps or really sat there an just looked at them, take a look at my new video. I just joined empty servers and did slow camera pans through the best looking sections of each map, listening to the game sounds, lots of amazing little sounds I never would have noticed while actually playing in a game, really amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgkAUoJuZKo

Nice video, sounds are awesome on my HD595s / ASUS Xonar Essence STX setup.

I finally just picked up BF3 last month, and the Premium pack this weekend. Waited until I built a new system to play it max settings. I was a big BF2 fan, and have fond memories of the classic BF1942.

First off the graphics are amazing in BF3, I am playing at full Ultra settings 4xAA/16xAF @ 2560x1600 res, and surprisingly the game is smooth as butter, no chop or lag whatsoever, very fast performance. I was shocked how good it plays on my new system, I thought I read that BF3 was a hog ? Planetside 2 with worse graphics, is a hog and choppy for me.

The sound effects in BF3 are the best I have ever heard in a game. I can hear planes fly over head, and behind me. Bullets wiz by the front speakers and to the rears. With a good sound card this game sounds awesome.

I prefer playing the large maps with lots of vehicles, and it is a lot of fun. I don't understand all the hate this game gets ? So far I am loving it, and the new After Math maps are really well designed, and look great, yeah they don't have enough room for large vehicle combat which sucks, but there are plenty of large maps in the original BF3 maps, and the AK expansion.

I am confused with upgrades, and how to build my character up ? So over time, I will get points, that will allow me better weapons or something ?

I want to get into flying, dealing with mouse/kb is a pain. Can anyone recommend a good joystick/controller for flying, without breaking the bank?

I am confused with upgrades, and how to build my character up ? So over time, I will get points, that will allow me better weapons or something ?

Just take a look at your weapons page in your battlelog. It will show you all the available guns and upgrades.

I personally would just decide which gun I wanted to unlock and then played that class until I unlocked it. I would use it for awhile, and once i got bored with it, i would repeat the process.

I finally got a video card that can handle BF3 and I'm wondering which version I should buy - standard or premium? Is premium edition worth the extra cash and how limited will I be if I decide to get the standard version?

Thanks

I finally got a video card that can handle BF3 and I'm wondering which version I should buy - standard or premium? Is premium edition worth the extra cash and how limited will I be if I decide to get the standard version?

Thanks

I would definitely recommend buying the premium version off-the-bat.

If you get the standard you can always upgrade, but you'll end up spending more.

I made mistake of buying the stock game first. Then got the premium this weekend. The Premium is a MUST have. You get all expansions = tons more maps to play, more weapons and upgrades.

Some of the best maps are in the premium version, After Math is brand new and really well designed maps, they look and play amazingly. And Armored Assault or that other expansion has the large maps only for huge vehicle battles :D

I want to get into flying, dealing with mouse/kb is a pain. Can anyone recommend a good joystick/controller for flying, without breaking the bank?

X360 controller works great. tried to use M/KB like all the pro's recommend, it's not for me.

In terms of DLCs:

1. Karkand is still the best DLC, but it sucked that Premium came out AFTER Karkand, so basically I bought it twice. Guns AND maps.
2. CQ is worthless outside the guns. I played it so I could get some achievements/medals, I'm never playing it again.
3. Armoured Kill rush is good. Armoured Kill CQ... would be good if it was 96 player. Tank Superiority... *facepalm*
4. I haven't played much of Aftermath, but it's good. I wish we got more guns other than the XBOW though. I really like the new vehicles. They die quickly but are otherwise awesome to play with

XBOW's pretty good actually. I'm a recon and mine's always set to scan for enemies. Even if i'm too far too drop a TUGS, or too hectic to launch a MAV, i just keep shooting the scanning bolt. It doesn't seem to count towards you spotting ribbon tho :(

Best thing to do for the spotting ribbon is to take the MAV and go to CQ with it in the office building and place it on the balcony above A. BEcause the MAV scans way up and way down you'll get a spot and MAV designation for pretty much everyone that dies in that area all the way to the stairs. You'll rake in a TON of assists and they count towards your binoc ribbon as well as the l96 assignment for its worthless camo.

XBOW's pretty good actually. I'm a recon and mine's always set to scan for enemies. Even if i'm too far too drop a TUGS, or too hectic to launch a MAV, i just keep shooting the scanning bolt. It doesn't seem to count towards you spotting ribbon tho :(

I do like the explosive bolt though, RECON finally has something against vehicles.

Edit: It doesns't seem to one-shot kill infantry, WHICH DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, it takes like 10% off a tank! I can understand if splash is minimal, but taking an explosive round to the body and not killing? really?

I'm not really much for CQ, i'm mostly flanking and flag captures. I actually use the MAV to patrol the flanks and out of the way routes. I don't leave the MAV in high traffic areas since everybody already expects people to go through them.

When a clanmate volunteered to take over as Recon for a game, i switched to assaulter and was pretty much mowing down enemies as long as his MAV was up there letting me know where everyone is and blindsiding them (I'm just so-so at face to face gunfights). That was fun and i barely even had time to reload, but i got a ton of kills and nobody got past as long as the Recon didn't stray the MAV too far. That experience is what made me see what being a Recon is about. Up 'til then, i had a bias towards Recon as a medium range support, but after that, all my gear is setup for intel. Just wish xbow properly gives me credit for it. It's not like people are spamming radar bolts all over:(

Where do you see that pros recommend M/KB?

Depends who you ask, FWIW the clan of air whores i used to roll with had almost all the top10 attack heli & jet pilots for about a 6 month stretch, most of em kb/m including my buddy that was #1 jet for a long time and he didnt just sit farming kills he did 1v1 ladders too which are mental. Its personal preference, joystick won't make you better necessarily, just have to learn the tricks like mapping pitch-up to space bar for jet.

Picking up flying at THIS point in the game's evolution with all the nerfs is going to be extremely frustrating for anyone starting out, don't jump into big full pub servers expecting to stay in the air more than 5sec or you'll spend most of your time waiting for respawns. You want empty servers at first to practice and then move up to 16 plyr servers etc.

Last edited:
The sound effects in BF3 are the best I have ever heard in a game. I can hear planes fly over head, and behind me. Bullets wiz by the front speakers and to the rears. With a good sound card this game sounds awesome.
I completely agree. Every single time I fire up Planetside 2, I sit there hoping that one day, it will have the sound quality of BF3. Though, I do not have a gaming sound card, everything just sounds so dynamic and meaty that every other game I've played pales in comparison sound wise.

Flybys, bullets, everything, just sounds awesome.

Hopefully, BF4 won't lose it's way as BF3 has. I am glad to see Aftermath doing well, though. Definitely have to fire it up soon.

I completely agree. Every single time I fire up Planetside 2, I sit there hoping that one day, it will have the sound quality of BF3. Though, I do not have a gaming sound card, everything just sounds so dynamic and meaty that every other game I've played pales in comparison sound wise.

Flybys, bullets, everything, just sounds awesome.

Hopefully, BF4 won't lose it's way as BF3 has. I am glad to see Aftermath doing well, though. Definitely have to fire it up soon.

I go back and forth playing both BF3 and PS2 equally. BF3 still being new to me, only had it a few weeks now. After Math maps are really well designed, and look amazing :eek: but not much vehicle combat.

I find myself liking both games, PS2 at the dusk to night setting looks so fucking good, the lighting effects at night in PS2 blow away BF3's night map, which is weird for PS2 being Dx9 and BF3 Dx11. But everywhere else the graphics in BF3 trump PS2 easily.

I have the Sound Blaster Recon 3D Fatality PCIe sound card, it has it's own processor on board to control the sound engine, thus taking away any burden from the motherboard CPU. This sound card is really great for gaming, maybe not for music as much, but for action games it's the best. I have the older Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker setup, and it's still rocking away all these years, and this sound card brings it back to life :) Headphones with this sound card will make you jizz in your drawers :eek: Breathtaking.

Depends who you ask, FWIW the clan of air whores i used to roll with had almost all the top10 attack heli & jet pilots for about a 6 month stretch, most of em kb/m including my buddy that was #1 jet for a long time and he didnt just sit farming kills he did 1v1 ladders too which are mental. Its personal preference, joystick won't make you better necessarily, just have to learn the tricks like mapping pitch-up to space bar for jet.

Picking up flying at THIS point in the game's evolution with all the nerfs is going to be extremely frustrating for anyone starting out, don't jump into big full pub servers expecting to stay in the air more than 5sec or you'll spend most of your time waiting for respawns. You want empty servers at first to practice and then move up to 16 plyr servers etc.

Would you recommend Rush as a good way to get some practice?

Would you recommend Rush as a good way to get some practice?

If we were talking Attack Heli then empty Kharg server and just hop point to point capping, this helps get the control down, ability to stop on a dime, hover in place, etc. You'd almost never cap points with aircraft in a live game since its pretty much guaranteed death and everything OHK's Heli's these days but that's how I started out.

Jets are a different beast, and best way to get better is tagging along as wingman to someone that already knows what they're doing so they can do the heavy lifting while you practice control and learning how to make tight rolls tapping afterburner as you ascend and tapping brake on the way back down so your speed stays around 315.

Even better watch any of the myriad of jet and heli tutorial vids on YouTube, some good ones there. I'll repeat it again though, at this stage of BF3's devolution with all the balance tweak patches over the past year aircraft are punishing and thankless esp for anyone starting out, and its easy to burn out once you become proficient. They can be a lot of fun at times though.

Last edited:
If we were talking Attack Heli then empty Kharg server and just hop point to point capping, this helps get the control down, ability to stop on a dime, hover in place, etc. You'd almost never cap points with aircraft in a live game since its pretty much guaranteed death and everything OHK's Heli's these days but that's how I started out.

when i was learning to fly helicopters i preferred Oman so i could try to slalom between buildings like a badass and then smack head-first into the crane.

Okay, it took 5 days of downloading the 4GB update on a shitty 256kbps capped Internet speed, and now that it has downloaded, Origin/Battlelog wants to download it again and still won't let me play even the campaign. I have restarted Origin, the computer, everything and nothing works - it still wants to download the update again.

What. The. Fuck.

I had to download 2 - 4 gig patches. This was the same for many. The day AM came out BL forums had a ton of posts from people asking why we had to download two patches. I feel for you my friend, but I don't think there is another way. I think DICE messed up the patch because there is no way one 4 gig patch was for weapon balancing and the other for the maps. That just can't be. Once I finished my 2nd download everything was fine.

Good luck.

I had to download 2 - 4 gig patches. This was the same for many. The day AM came out BL forums had a ton of posts from people asking why we had to download two patches. I feel for you my friend, but I don't think there is another way. I think DICE messed up the patch because there is no way one 4 gig patch was for weapon balancing and the other for the maps. That just can't be. Once I finished my 2nd download everything was fine.

Good luck.

Thanks. This is seriously fucking retarded.

I'll repeat it again though, at this stage of BF3's devolution with all the balance tweak patches over the past year aircraft are punishing and thankless esp for anyone starting out, and its easy to burn out once you become proficient. They can be a lot of fun at times though.

Sounds good. I'm decent with the attack heli, but my jet skill definitely needs some work. I've had experience with them from bf2 days, and gotten a few kills so far in bf3, but I just havent invested much time in flying. I want to at least work on them enough to get all the unlocks!

Downloading the second 4GB update now. New files are appearing in the game's "update>patch>data>win32" folder, whereas the previous update was all files in the new "Xpack4" folder, so it appears that the two updates are different, at least.

Okay, it took 5 days of downloading the 4GB update on a shitty 256kbps capped Internet speed, and now that it has downloaded, Origin/Battlelog wants to download it again and still won't let me play even the campaign. I have restarted Origin, the computer, everything and nothing works - it still wants to download the update again.

What. The. Fuck.

Mine worked first try. I think your true frustrations lie with your ISP. If your circuit was better it wouldn't matter as much. I have a 60Mbps fios pipe. Even if I had to download it 4 times it would only take me an hour.

Mine worked first try. I think your true frustrations lie with your ISP. If your circuit was better it wouldn't matter as much. I have a 60Mbps fios pipe. Even if I had to download it 4 times it would only take me an hour.

It downloaded Aftermath (which was about 3.88GB), now it is downloading 3.81GB worth of patch files.

And yeah, my Internet plan is a fairly sucky ADSL2+ connection (rarely ever get more than 700KB/s download rates) with 50GB per month (which is presently capped at 256kbps until Saturday), and I chewed through it while downloading this game in the first place. I got to play it for about a week before my quota ran out and then BAM! 8GBs of updates to download.

Anyone know the latest install size with all patches? I'm wondering if I have enough space to put in on the SSD. The wiki says it is 25GB :eek:

jeez....the amount of space games take up nowadays is just mind boggling...I remember the days of floppy disk sized games....whopping 1.44MB...its really amazing.

/end off topic comment.

Downloading the second 4GB update now. New files are appearing in the game's "update>patch>data>win32" folder, whereas the previous update was all files in the new "Xpack4" folder, so it appears that the two updates are different, at least.

Yes, maps have been a separate download since B2K (XPACK1), before then it was a single download patch+maps but like everything people figured out an exploit to get into the maps early so DICE split the maps off into a separate download for subsequent DLC's and the mapdata came down on release day.

Its not necessarily DICE being a-holes, they're legally bound by contract with SOE (PS3 gets DLC's a week before premium on xbox/pc) thus the tightened control.

Last edited:
Yes, maps have been a separate download since B2K (XPACK1), before then it was a single download patch+maps but like everything people figured out an exploit to get into the maps early so DICE split the maps off into a separate download for subsequent DLC's and the mapdata came down on release day.

Its not necessarily DICE being a-holes, they're legally bound by contract with SOE (PS3 gets DLC's a week before premium on xbox/pc) thus the tightened control.

Thanks for the info :cool:. So I should be good to go after this update finishes?

It downloaded Aftermath (which was about 3.88GB), now it is downloading 3.81GB worth of patch files.

And yeah, my Internet plan is a fairly sucky ADSL2+ connection (rarely ever get more than 700KB/s download rates) with 50GB per month (which is presently capped at 256kbps until Saturday), and I chewed through it while downloading this game in the first place. I got to play it for about a week before my quota ran out and then BAM! 8GBs of updates to download.

holy crap who is your ISP... sounds awful. even when I had a 6Mbps DSL pipe in Miami I used to get about 3-4MBps.

Back