Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

... these unlock bundles truly show what lazy gamers there are out there.
Well, as an old guy who doesn't have much time to play games every day or week to reach unlocks, I can understand it. Sure, I miss the days of overdosing on energy drinks, smoking weed, and having 5 hour game sessions with 2 day old pizza to achieve gaming statistics and unlocks, but life after college doesn't allow room for that. I won't be buying the unlocks for I've finally put enough time in to feel I can hold my own, but for those just picking the game up and only have a couple hours tops a week to play I can understand. Buying the bundles will help them be more effective to the team rather then a meat shield to loose tickets with. Strip down to the starting weapons and try to hold your own against all the high rank (+/-50) players out there... some may like that challenge, but many others will get frustrated and stop playing.

[
. Strip down to the starting weapons and try to hold your own against all the high rank (+/-50) players out there... some may like that challenge, but many others will get frustrated and stop playing.

stock weapons are pretty good really.

its the vehicle unlocks and squad perks that you miss

the ultimate bundle is 39.99

others are between 5 bucks for the co-op bundle up to the 40 bucks for the everything unlock bundle..

why even offer this is beyond me..why bother playing the game if your not even gonna try to play the game the way its meant to be played..

these unlock bundles truly show what lazy gamers there are out there.

Why does it even bother you? Ok cool someone doesn't have that much time to play and would rather just buy it and be done with it.

It doesn't really take very long to unlock just about anything in the game but some people can't be assed. Even I was getting irritated and joining metro servers just to unlock a scope or some shit. Like oh sweet got a new gun guess I'll take it for a sp -- FUCK NO ATTACHMENTS, might as well get it done with as fast as I can.

It's kind of a shitty system to be honest. I think it's a bit overdone with shit like unlocking the same scope PER WEAPON. Whew just finished getting 50 kills time for my gun to have half the recoil, be completely silent, more accurate, and not show up on the minimap... and have vastly superior sights. Then you get to do that again... and again...

Well, as an old guy who doesn't have much time to play games every day or week to reach unlocks, I can understand it. Sure, I miss the days of overdosing on energy drinks, smoking weed, and having 5 hour game sessions with 2 day old pizza to achieve gaming statistics and unlocks, but life after college doesn't allow room for that. I won't be buying the unlocks for I've finally put enough time in to feel I can hold my own, but for those just picking the game up and only have a couple hours tops a week to play I can understand. Buying the bundles will help them be more effective to the team rather then a meat shield to loose tickets with. Strip down to the starting weapons and try to hold your own against all the high rank (+/-50) players out there... some may like that challenge, but many others will get frustrated and stop playing.

Slacker... I was working a 45-hour week while going to college full time when BF3 came out, and I racked up 100+ hours of BF3 in the first few months it was out... Get to work. :p

Hehe JK, I don't blame you at all for giving more priority to your other obligations in life.

But what I said about me is true. :D

I'm not so sure I like the changes to the SOFLAM. Earlier today it seemed damn near impossible to escape being painted in a tank. Anyone else notice a difference as well?

It's certainly going to make it harder to know if you are actually being threatened or not - normally if you hear the tone it means someone is looking at you, and so presumably someone is going to shoot at you - now it'll just mean there is a SOFLAM up somewhere, which may or may not have someone operating/shooting. However, as a engineer player, I like it, since now the liklihood that they'll be painted targets goes up quite a bit, and nothing frustrates me more than equipping Javelin to find out that the only guy operating a SOFLAM left the server.

Crash crash crash.. "Something went wrong" "Must close the game in background first" "Lost connection to EA"

Then I get in a game and Engi whores every where.. So i decide to pull out the stinger and see how "faster" this launcher is..

Sights up! wait for it, wait for it, wait f... WTF why is it not locking on.. Beep oh sweet there it goes. beep. Flares! Signal lost. Wait for it... Fuck this. Pull out my primary, start heading towards objective. As soon as I turn around. The damn helo I was trying to lock on to for 1/2hour lites me up..

RPGs/Rockets/Grenades STILL dissapear when thrown before you get killed...

Dunno if they did anything to the sun or if its from the saturation they added, but the damn sun is brighter than ever.

Suppression. No work for me. Works amazing for everyone else..

Just a few things that tick me off, but only got about 2 hours in so far..

Other than those, not bad.. I guess.. Id rather trade all the updates for VOIP.

Crash crash crash.. "Something went wrong" "Must close the game in background first" "Lost connection to EA"

Then I get in a game and Engi whores every where.. So i decide to pull out the stinger and see how "faster" this launcher is..

Sights up! wait for it, wait for it, wait f... WTF why is it not locking on.. Beep oh sweet there it goes. beep. Flares! Signal lost. Wait for it... Fuck this. Pull out my primary, start heading towards objective. As soon as I turn around. The damn helo I was trying to lock on to for 1/2hour lites me up..

RPGs/Rockets/Grenades STILL dissapear when thrown before you get killed...

Dunno if they did anything to the sun or if its from the saturation they added, but the damn sun is brighter than ever.

Suppression. No work for me. Works amazing for everyone else..

Just a few things that tick me off, but only got about 2 hours in so far..

Other than those, not bad.. I guess.. Id rather trade all the updates for VOIP.

The AA missiles now have the range of foul language. It is not possible for a jet to travel slow enough to lock on before it leaves range.

Locks faster, but the distance to lock is similar to the distance a toddler can throw an oreo.

others are between 5 bucks for the co-op bundle up to the 40 bucks for the everything unlock bundle..

why even offer this is beyond me..why bother playing the game if your not even gonna try to play the game the way its meant to be played..

Not everyone has the time to dedicate to unlocking everything they want. Some people start playing later than others for various reasons. While pure skill is the most important, turning a corner and facing someone point blank range, only to lose while he's at 60% health because he has a better gun than you sucks. I play 3-4 hours a week. Just looked at my stats, I have played for 26 hours and 24 minutes. Having a wife, three kids and a rotating schedule isn't conducive to playing whenever I want, for how long I want. I don't point whore, I play the game like it's "meant to be played", to win. I'm not even close to unlocking everything I want, but I'm still plugging away. And I will probably drop the $40 on it, because $40 isn't much, and I feel I would enjoy the game more.

Last edited:

I have 65 service stars with the m16a3. 9 with the m4a1. Those are my top two guns. You are saying about the default guns? Pre-patch the m16a3 was outstanding. Post patch it is still a great gun. However now the other guns can be a good alternative.

Before the patch each kit had around 2-3 guns that where good(m16a3, AEK,M416 for assault for example). Now the patch mixed it up, and Im really starting to like the L85A3.

Not everyone has the time to dedicate to unlocking everything they want. Some people start playing later than others for various reasons. While pure skill is the most important, turning a corner and facing someone point blank range, only to lose while he's at 60% health because he has a better gun than you sucks. I play 3-4 hours a week. Just looked at my stats, I have played for 26 hours and 24 minutes. Having a wife, three kids and a rotating schedule isn't conducive to playing whenever I want, for how long I want. I don't point whore, I play the game like it's "meant to be played", to win. I'm not even close to unlocking everything I want, but I'm still plugging away. And I will probably drop the $40 on it, because $40 isn't much, and I feel I would enjoy the game more.

That's funny because most, if not all, default guns for each class are among the best. Just because you start out with it doesn't mean it sucks! M16/AK-74 are amazing weapons. AKS-74u and M14 are also amazing. The RPK and M27 are basically LMG version of the AK and M416 which is also an amazing gun. Don't play enough recon to be able to comment on their starting weapons, but I hear the MK11 Mod 0 is snazzy.

I guess the only benefit to buying the packs are to unlock the toys for support and recon. The SOFLAM and MAV are pretty damn nice, as well as C4 and Mortar. They're not necessities, but do allow for varied gameplay. $40 seems a bit steep to me considering that's the nearly the price of an entirely new game.

I have 65 service stars with the m16a3. 9 with the m4a1. Those are my top two guns. You are saying about the default guns? Pre-patch the m16a3 was outstanding. Post patch it is still a great gun. However now the other guns can be a good alternative.

Before the patch each kit had around 2-3 guns that where good(m16a3, AEK,M416 for assault for example). Now the patch mixed it up, and Im really starting to like the L85A3.

65 stars? Do you not use other weapons?

So can you buy the packs now? If so, where are they? I looked on the Origin store but couldn't find them.

65 stars? Do you not use other weapons?

Before the patch not really for the assault class. I tried the M416, AEK, and L85a3. Always went back to the m16a3. AK74 is 5th place but most of those kills were from leveling assault. After patch, I tried the M16a3, and the L85a3. Haven't found a gun to stick with yet. M16 is still good, but want to see the other guns before I go back to it. The reason I have so many kills is I wanted to master one weapon for the kit. Became very good with the M16 before the patch. The patch screwed with my fore-grip/suppressor combo though. :p So I have to readjust.

My 2nd place for kills is M4a1 engy kit. When I play engy, I'm either using a vehicle so don't really get that many gun kills. I just recently unlocked all of the support guns(use the PKP for that kit) and I rarely play recon.

I really don't agree with this. The unlocks are NOT insanely hard to get. They take a very very bearable about of time and not too much effort. It's not like MMO grindfest at all but I guess if you're willing to pay for them then hey more money for DICE.

patch is downloading slooooow. all of us bastards got off work at the same time i guess.

I really don't agree with this. The unlocks are NOT insanely hard to get. They take a very very bearable about of time and not too much effort. It's not like MMO grindfest at all but I guess if you're willing to pay for them then hey more money for DICE.

Heck, I'd have paid $5 just to avoid having to use the abysmal FAMAS iron sights for the 20 kills or whatever it took to get the first scope.

Just a heads-up for anyone hoping for any new server features or development. Mikael Kalms sent this out to operators:

Hi all,

you probably noticed that I went silent for over a month. Also, there were no server updates during that time. This was because I've been travelling and after that focusing more on internal stuff here at DICE.

Given how things work at DICE, I predict that we will not do much further development on the RCON interface. A lot of the development has been done ad-hoc by me and some of my colleagues, and that model is not sustainable from here on.

So what you have in Server R20 is pretty much what will be. We may still do the odd feature / bugfix, but we'll pick very carefully when choosing what to do.

So yeah, three cheers for 5 whole months of server support/development by a couple of guys at DICE who had free time (but apparently not anymore). Guess those per-slot "surcharges" were being put to good use.

Alot of little changes that make stuff seem really different.

The saturation/color changes are really noticeable to me. Vehicle explosions and unguided rocket smoke is way different, but I think a little more realistic.

Now for the complaining part:

The jets really got screwed over with this. First, the air radar is nerfed alot but my biggest gripe is that it now displays the points A,B, etc. The icons for these points take up way too much space and obscure the enemy aircraft. The worst is the gun damage though. I like dog fighting but it is ridiculous now. If you are a fairly good pilot expect the time it take to bring someone down to at least quadruple. Disabling a plane after unloading a good blast after doing a perfect dogfighting maneuver needs to be done like 3 times now just do disable.

I've actually defended this game from complainers before, but I sort of have to admit that this patch has slightly worsened the game. Not drastically, I might just need to get used to the change other than the first day, I don't know.

Well, I ended up getting the recon pack, only because I suck with sniper but really want to use some of the equipment.

5.1 surround sound doesn't work for me anymore... any ideas?

edit: nevermind. my driver decided to reverse on me.

Just a heads-up for anyone hoping for any new server features or development. Mikael Kalms sent this out to operators:

So yeah, three cheers for 5 whole months of server support/development by a couple of guys at DICE who had free time (but apparently not anymore). Guess those per-slot "surcharges" were being put to good use.

Wow, DICE.

Wow.

This patch is a complete abortion. Someone wake me when they either roll this back or fix all this shit they broke with this patch.

Why the fuck did they change the reload?

If you're aiming down the sights or scoped in, hitting R would bring you out and reload.

Now, however, if you do that nothing happens. But if you already hit R and THEN try to fire, it reloads. Wtf? You have to unscope to reload instead of it automatically happening. Why would this ever even come up as something that needs to be changed? I don't know if I've played a game that does that, lol

Why the fuck did they change the reload?

If you're aiming down the sights or scoped in, hitting R would bring you out and reload.

Now, however, if you do that nothing happens. But if you already hit R and THEN try to fire, it reloads. Wtf? You have to unscope to reload instead of it automatically happening. Why would this ever even come up as something that needs to be changed? I don't know if I've played a game that does that, lol

Yeah wtf? I thought it was odd when I tried to reload but it wouldn't.

Ok cool so now the M16 is now even better than it was despite already basically being the best AR in the entire game, Support is considerably shittier combat wise, there's completely stupid bugs and it took them 500 years to bring out this patch.

excellent

Does anyone know if the M320 was nerfed? I'm racking up the kills on 64 player Metro like I used to :(

I was only able to hop in tonight and play for five minutes to test the patch. The adjustments they made to mouse movements are great. Everything feels more fluid and I have absolutely no input lag with vsync on now.

Back