Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

That's disappointing to hear given the requirements to get it. :(
It's not a bad gun, I was just expecting more out of it. It kind of feels like a mix between the AK and the M16. Recoil is a little better than average but it has a slower rate of fire than the M16 and doesn't seem as accurate. For CQC it's pretty decent, but at medium/long range it doesn't hold up too well. The M16A3 just feels like a better all-around gun.

See, the problem is the vast majority don't play attack recon's, they play the sit on top of a distant rock in prone all game taking pot shots at everyone recon. I seriously think these players royally suck at the game or else they wouldn't be content spending the entire game sitting one place for a handful of nuisance kills.

The largest problem is this game is FILLED to the brim with these noob's. I've been on 64-man servers where half the team is these people.

Like I have stated many many times. blame the Frostbite engine. BF2 did not have this problem because you could not see very far

I would think that by using the monitors in portrait mode like that, you're not getting that much more screen real estate (in terms of the amount of peripheral vision you get) over one widescreen monitor, though?

Portrait Eyefinity is one of those things that must be seen in real life to appreciate. True, my 3x portrait setup comes out to around a 16:9 monitor, but at three times the resolution.

Peripheral vision is over-rated. If you do landscape mode, your side monitors just output a stretched image with little information on it. Not to mention you are stuck with a tiny little 1080 vertical pixels. The "immersion" factor that makes you feel like you are "in the world" with a slightly angled side monitor high-resolution portrait eyefinity setup can only be appreciated in person.

If Vega went landsape he'd need a 3ft wide head with a 12" gap between his eyes (which themselves would need to be the size of tennis balls), lol

Very nice Vega :)

I was just on a Metro server. Dude had 18 SVD kills when I left and we were 60 seconds into the round. Killed me twice and did not miss a shot in full sprint and ducking. I guess that hack is catching on. :sour grapes:

The fact that there has been zero response from EA or PB to address the barrage of hacks on every server is sad, because its an excellent game. Its rare that I play a match where I dont run into some hacker.

The fact that there has been zero response from EA or PB to address the barrage of hacks on every server is sad, because its an excellent game. Its rare that I play a match where I dont run into some hacker.

Actually, EA has responded recently. Not sure if there is any weight behind their claim, but take it as you will. As they say in the post, be sure to do your part and report the player whenever you encounter a hacker.

I don't know how you guys can stand looking at black lines in your game... from the bezels.

speaking of "hacking"

jtSya.jpg

sigh...

To me 17--3 is a completely reasonable score for a map like Metro. It's easy to catch fire and go on a few runs.

When I complained to the admin about this guy who was 18-0 in the first 60-90 seconds of the round...his handle was some variation of "Grim Reaper" ... the admin typed in some broken German-English that half the people on the server were hacking.

I guess it goes...if you hate the hacker, you become what you rebel against.:p

Thanks for the tip. I just tried it and my SPM actually went up a couple points running around with the SKS with no attachments. I haven't touched recon except for some shotgun recon, so I was very surprised.

One more thing, wait until you slap a EOTech on the SKS. Fkin' Deadly. /gotta try it on the mk11 now.

Today I saw a plane painted with SOFLAM escaped literally 9 Javelins (3 rockets at a time in 3 waves fired by 3 engineers) without using countermeasures. It just flew very very fast and Javelins explosions did nothing to it. Is it possible? Or is it some kind of hack?

Today I saw a plane painted with SOFLAM escaped literally 9 Javelins (3 rockets at a time in 3 waves fired by 3 engineers) without using countermeasures. It just flew very very fast and Javelins explosions did nothing to it. Is it possible? Or is it some kind of hack?

Yes it's possible, it's all thanks to the awesome new Frostbite 2 engine. Remember in BC2 in the old Frostbite engine how you would fire a rocket and it would actually hit what you fired it at? Well, Frostbite 2 solves that problem.

There are a bunch of cheating assholes on today. Last server I was in, there was a squad just following me around all over the map. Knew exactly where I was.

What I mean is that I would be capping a flag, hiding big time. Then one of them would spawn and IMMEDIATELY lock on to my position and attack. No hesitation at all. Not using an accuracy cheat but certainly a few other helpers.

Actually, EA has responded recently. Not sure if there is any weight behind their claim, but take it as you will. As they say in the post, be sure to do your part and report the player whenever you encounter a hacker.

That is a pathetic blog response to a huge problem that they have done jack shit about since release......fucking pathetic.

Though I am reporting EVERY hacker I encounter and encourage everyone else to do the same. On the players battle log, when you mouse over a battle report, a small (damn small!) triangle with an exclamation point will appear to the top right corner of the battle report. Click that to report that even.

I have started playing only streaming anti-cheat servers or servers who have great admins so I don't need to report too many people.......

What do you guys use for flying? I'm trying to use a controller. I was just playing with a guy who had pinpoint machine gun accuracy from his jet.

What do you guys use for flying? I'm trying to use a controller. I was just playing with a guy who had pinpoint machine gun accuracy from his jet.

I use keyboard+joystick. Keyboard for braking/afterburner and joystick for moving and shooting.

I report as many as I can. In most cases I get an email from EA a few days later saying they are investigating.
I was helping a friend with a tight budget find a cheap copy of BF3 and found a forum where a guy was selling $16 legit russian keys. Some guys were buying dozens at a time. I would assume so they can get a new GUID when they get banned. Still, at $15 a key, plus the price that they pay for a hack, its quite sad.

It's 2012, multi-monitor is the way to go. It's really not that expensive, compared to what it used to be. After having Eyefinity for a while now, I would never go back to single monitor gaming...ever. You really do not notice the bezels at all

Last edited:
Joined a server, killed 4 times in a row by a hacker. Switched teams. Killed 5 times in a row by a hacker. Quit game.

Joined a server, killed 4 times in a row by a hacker. Switched teams. Killed 5 times in a row by a hacker. Quit game.

The problem I see here is that you stayed and probably tried to team up with the hacker, just to get owned again.
Should have left the server when you saw the person was cheating, on your team or not.

On another note, I find it funny that I can get 3+ KDR on a meat grinder and 1-2 KDR on a standard map.
The grinder is fun when you're playing alone, and the open maps are great with a few friends.

Last edited:
Okay, so I have 40 hours and 99% of it is Support. I'm getting a bit bored with support, and I would like to switch to a different class... Here are my thoughts on the other classes:

Assault: Seems like a longer range version of support (assault rifles), not really interesting enough compared to Support. Pass.

Engineer: SMG's: not much different compared to LMG's, right? And I'm not a fan of ranged anti-air or anti-armour. Pass.

Recon: I switched to Recon after playing Medic in BC2, and I had a blast using sniper rifles. I think switching to recon will be the most drastic/interesting change from Support...

However, dedicating 99% of my effort into one class (support) will cripple me if I switch to a different class, it'll take a long time for me to learn a whole different class.

Any comments guys? I'm just bored playing support after 40 hours, and I want to switch to something different.

Okay, so I have 40 hours and 99% of it is Support. I'm getting a bit bored with support, and I would like to switch to a different class... Here are my thoughts on the other classes:

Assault: Seems like a longer range version of support (assault rifles), not really interesting enough compared to Support. Pass.

Engineer: SMG's: not much different compared to LMG's, right? And I'm not a fan of ranged anti-air or anti-armour. Pass.

Recon: I switched to Recon after playing Medic in BC2, and I had a blast using sniper rifles. I think switching to recon will be the most drastic/interesting change from Support...

However, dedicating 99% of my effort into one class (support) will cripple me if I switch to a different class, it'll take a long time for me to learn a whole different class.

Any comments guys? I'm just bored playing support after 40 hours, and I want to switch to something different.

Assault - Also plays the medic role which is great for teamwork, and a great way to roll up some points in a meat grinder. You can also trade the medic pack out for a noob-tube if you enjoy explosives spamming.

Engineer - Generally all about anti-armour and vehicle support. Can be fun on the high vehicle maps, especially with the SOFLAM/Javelin combo.

Recon - Its a shame they don't get claymores. Sniping is tough until you get your gun upgraded and the 12x scope and straight bolt. Once that is there, you're good to go.

Overall, I like to try to play the classes evenly, depending on what I feel is most needed for the team I'm playing on so I can make the biggest possible difference.

Overall, I like to try to play the classes evenly, depending on what I feel is most needed for the team I'm playing on so I can make the biggest possible difference.

I like to super specialize, so that my allocated time/skill isn't spread out over multiple classes. Hence why I played only one class. I feel that if I stick with one class fruitfully, I'll be better at it than playing all classes.

But I'm not sure if this is the case with BF3, to be honest....

Just overrun with hackers...how can I report people when their user names don't even show up in battlelog?

Wasnt me, I swear

My friend and I were having such a laugh on Caspian. We spent the entire map as US camping the Ru base via the road down the hill from the base towards the gas station. One would go support for ammo/C4 and the other would go engineer for mines/rpg/jav
I went 31-3 and he went 18-4...People were so upset, calling us hackers...I almost pissed myself laughing.
Its a whole different game with VOIP. I would lay mines while he would cover, one of us would watch above for guys on foot trying to smoke us out while the other used the TV missile...
I used to camp here before, but Id run out of mines or vehicles would look for them and destroy them(and I never took jav because of limited ammo), but with someone resupplying you, just Jav lock on the tank and they speed up and dont look for mines, they are looking for the javaline and run the mines right over.

That and the next round we were both Jihad jeeps on caspian. Calling out targets on voip and racing in for jeep-covered-in-C4 kills with 2 jeeps is awesome.

I was engineer on caspian, fly my jet as high as I could over the hilltop, ejected, parachuted and got 2 tanks kills with my javalin...I didnt know you could use it in the air.

Sometimes this game is so frustrating, other times is the most thrilling fun.

The problem I see here is that you stayed and probably tried to team up with the hacker, just to get owned again.
Should have left the server when you saw the person was cheating, on your team or not.

Ahh, so we should run from server to server trying to avoid all hackers. Or maybe we should just uninstall the game. :rolleyes:

And FYI, I changed teams to TK the hacker, and got killed multiple times before I found him by another hacker. Thanks for the self important post though. Please continue.

I like to super specialize, so that my allocated time/skill isn't spread out over multiple classes. Hence why I played only one class. I feel that if I stick with one class fruitfully, I'll be better at it than playing all classes.

But I'm not sure if this is the case with BF3, to be honest....

To me, there's only marginal gain once you have all of the basic toys for each class to continuing the specialization as a focus. If you try to make a team player effort out of it, or play with friends in a squad, the needs of the team/squad will vary over time. If you're only able to do well with a single class, its not fun if you're not needed.

Can someone explain something to me? When you get your first service star for a class, you unlock the opposing faction's starting weapon right? So for example, if you're RU and assault, you can use the M16A3 side, right? That's what Battlelog says.

So where's my RU M16A3 in my weapon loadout? WTF?

Can someone explain something to me? When you get your first service star for a class, you unlock the opposing faction's starting weapon right? So for example, if you're RU and assault, you can use the M16A3 side, right? That's what Battlelog says.

So where's my RU M16A3 in my weapon loadout? WTF?

Damn it, never mind. I see it now.

To me, there's only marginal gain once you have all of the basic toys for each class to continuing the specialization as a focus. If you try to make a team player effort out of it, or play with friends in a squad, the needs of the team/squad will vary over time. If you're only able to do well with a single class, its not fun if you're not needed.

No reason you won't eventually do well with all the classes, but remain exceptional in one. I'm no slouch as an assault, engineer or support, but given the choice between the classes, i'll choose recon.

By no means am i exclusively a recon, if the situation calls for it, i'll switch to other classes as needed. But in my platoon, i'm the designated recon and pretty much expected to be the guy with the intel and the beacon.

The kind of skill needed on a Designated vs an All-rounder has the designated having quite a few tricks up his sleeve specific to his class. While an All-rounder wouldn't reach his level unless he played four times as much and for each map, otherwise he's either a filler, or cannon fodder. Some of us don't have the time to play four hours a day.

I spent the first 43 levels as a recon, and didn't try the other classes much until after then. Sticking to a single class is difficult, but makes you look at the battlefield a bit differently since you are looking at it from a certain perspective.

A Saitek AV8R-01 which recently replaced my old Saitek Cyborg Evo (used in BF2). I'm not much of a jet pilot though; I much prefer the attack choppers.

Back