Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Some pointers... toward some people I was stuck in a squad with tonight ...
1st... i hate the tack light... stop blinding me bitches! haha Same for the laser
2nd... people, you don't have to shoot every person in sight. I was just on metro and of course my camping team was getting owned. Seemed only my squad was moving forward, which is great... but there were a couple of times I had worked hard and took my time to sneak to the rear flag on metro. Some kid spawns on me and guns at the first person to run by? WTF man? Think for a second. Feel the surroundings and have a little patience. On the same issue, sometimes I will sneak to the rear flag, but not be actually get in range of taking it. I'll wait so you and the other two can spawn on me and we take it and hold it as a team... Its much quicker to take with several peeps. So don't go run and gun for the flag as soon as you spawn please. So frustrating...
3rd... first get these two down, then we'll talk. :D

There was one guy who "got it" in my squad... wish I would have got his name. I'd like to play with him again.

On the same issue, sometimes I will sneak to the rear flag, but not be actually get in range of taking it. I'll wait so you and the other two can spawn on me and we take it and hold it as a team... Its much quicker to take with several peeps. So don't go run and gun for the flag as soon as you spawn please. So frustrating...
3rd... first get these two down, then we'll talk. :D

Actually, if you are not using voice chat or text chat team cannot guess what you plan to do. You either want to play as a spawn point and allow other attack the flag or you want other to spawn on you and then all of you attack the flag. It could be both. Though, I feel this kind of team work should have been a lot of fun :)

I was playing on Gulf of Oman today and our team was excellent in SOFLAM/Javelin team work. Chat was full of messages like "SOFLAM ready", "Javelin ready" and it was nice to see 3 to 4 Javelin rockets flying towards any SOFLAM designated targets. Opposit team had no chance to win :)

I was playing on Gulf of Oman today and our team was excellent in SOFLAM/Javelin team work. Chat was full of messages like "SOFLAM ready", "Javelin ready" and it was nice to see 3 to 4 Javelin rockets flying towards any SOFLAM designated targets. Opposit team had no chance to win :)

Man, very rarely do I get on teams like that.

Yesterday I was playing and two scrub noobs were on my squad and were running around aimlessly. They really didn't get the whole idea of working with a squad until I told them too. I need to start finding people to play with instead of randoms :(

Actually, if you are not using voice chat or text chat team cannot guess what you plan to do. You either want to play as a spawn point and allow other attack the flag or you want other to spawn on you and then all of you attack the flag. It could be both. Though, I feel this kind of team work should have been a lot of fun :)

Sadly, the way the chat window doesn't stay persistent on the screen by default makes it very easy to miss when someone else is trying to get you to work together. I still can't believe we don't have decent built-in voice chat unless you set something up outside of the game...

Sadly, the way the chat window doesn't stay persistent on the screen by default makes it very easy to miss when someone else is trying to get you to work together. I still can't believe we don't have decent built-in voice chat unless you set something up outside of the game...

H sets that chat window options....

Bought the game a few days ago and have been playing it a bit inbetween my Skyrim sessions. At the moment its really not blowing me away. The graphics are pretty, but the gameplay isn't really inspiring me to play for long. Its "ok" when you're winning, but its frustrating as all hell when you're not and people team stack in almost every game I've played.

The grind is also terrible. I thought people were being a bit silly when they said the grind was bad, thinking is was like COD, but this is far worse than COD (at least any COD I've played), it takes friggin ages to unlock stuff. I'm admittedly not the best player, I usually get a KDR of 1.3-2 in most games I play and feel like I contribute to taking objectives, currently about 1 in BF3... but fuck, its taking me ages to unlock anything.

Actually, if you are not using voice chat or text chat team cannot guess what you plan to do. You either want to play as a spawn point and allow other attack the flag or you want other to spawn on you and then all of you attack the flag. It could be both. Though, I feel this kind of team work should have been a lot of fun :) ...
Yea, I was doing squad chat but I don't think anyone ever noticed or pays much attention to the chat window as spoken above. I'd love to get with some peeps who use ventrilo and see what this game is like with some voice communication. My old CS clan mates aren't interested in BF3 and are either in CS:GO beta, MW3, Skyrim, or playing one of the other games recently released.

... The grind is also terrible. I thought people were being a bit silly when they said the grind was bad, thinking is was like COD, but this is far worse than COD (at least any COD I've played), it takes friggin ages to unlock stuff. I'm admittedly not the best player, I usually get a KDR of 1.3-2 in most games I play and feel like I contribute to taking objectives, currently about 1 in BF3... but fuck, its taking me ages to unlock anything.
Unlocks in video games is one of the worse implementations developers have done to gaming IMO. Really makes it hard and unfair for those who either don't have much time to game or are just picking it up after so many have put hours into it. Achievements are fine, but unlocks really ruin it for so many. BF1942 never had unlocks and I remember playing the hell out of it for a year or more with the expansion pack and MODs like Desert Combat. Unlocks just aren't necessary. Instead of unlocks, they should compose more accomplishment achievements for those interested in having a personal goal to achieve. Such as "in a round, kill 2 with rifles, 2 with pistols, and 2 with knifes", come up with some creative combos for those who care to fight for. Leave the playing field even for the rest of us.

The grind is also terrible. I thought people were being a bit silly when they said the grind was bad, thinking is was like COD, but this is far worse than COD (at least any COD I've played), it takes friggin ages to unlock stuff. I'm admittedly not the best player, I usually get a KDR of 1.3-2 in most games I play and feel like I contribute to taking objectives, currently about 1 in BF3... but fuck, its taking me ages to unlock anything.

Yup, I can imagine it would be particularly frustrating for a noobie to go up against a team of fully kitted out soldiers, particularly in terms of vehicle abilities and individual weapon unlocks.

Its bad enough that experienced players will know the maps inside out and have an intuitive understanding of how a battle will flow in a given situation, but having to deal with shitty iron sights for all starting class weapons and lack of basic vehicle functions (e.g. flares) would be infuriating.

yeah - ive seen alot more people on chat requesting for and providing soflam/javelin. I'd been doing it the last few weeks already but its great to see alot more people catch on :D

Unlocks in video games is one of the worse implementations developers have done to gaming IMO. Really makes it hard and unfair for those who either don't have much time to game or are just picking it up after so many have put hours into it. Achievements are fine, but unlocks really ruin it for so many. BF1942 never had unlocks and I remember playing the hell out of it for a year or more with the expansion pack and MODs like Desert Combat. Unlocks just aren't necessary. Instead of unlocks, they should compose more accomplishment achievements for those interested in having a personal goal to achieve. Such as "in a round, kill 2 with rifles, 2 with pistols, and 2 with knifes", come up with some creative combos for those who care to fight for. Leave the playing field even for the rest of us.

I actually don't mind unlocking weapons as you go. Its just BF3 unlock system is so incredibly grindy its just painful rather than interesting and enjoyable. Even just playing COD MW2 and BLOPS on the free weekends for a few hours I managed to unlock a decent arsenal of weapons and didn't feel remotely underpowered. BF3 I've played for a few hours now and still have barely anything unlocked. I'm sure BFBC2 wasn't this bad.

So yeah, I don't mind having to unlock weapons, but at least make the first few levels go quickly so you get a few weapons to play with after a few hours of playing. The BF3 unlock system, however, is grindy from the get-go.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I'd been playing since release, but fuck, its frustrating.

I felt really bad the other day for picking on some christmas noobs.

Was mostly gold eagles on my team(4 friends in TS) vs 8 single digit Christmas noobs on metro rush. We had some fun and let them take the 1st set of bases to give them some hope in winning, little did they know we had a C4 trap setup for them when they entered the tunnels :D I killed half of them with my C4 lol. We also had a spawn beacon setup on the other side of the grassy hill to the right of the tunnels. It was hella funny spawning on the beacon and running down the vent shaft knifing one guy after another. Server emptied out after 10 minutes, lol I hope they play the game again.

BF3 I've played for a few hours now and still have barely anything unlocked. I'm sure BFBC2 wasn't this bad.

So yeah, I don't mind having to unlock weapons, but at least make the first few levels go quickly so you get a few weapons to play with after a few hours of playing. The BF3 unlock system, however, is grindy from the get-go.

I played about 50 hours or so of BC2 and had all non-specific unlocks. I'm pretty sure I had all classic specific unlocks too. I was only like level 30 at most.

I'm about 45 hours in to BF3 and still got a way to go. I don't mind the whole unlocks system, mainly because it gives me something to shoot for. I think the game would be kind of dry if everything was available to you from the beginning. Achievements don't really excite me at all. I get a better sense of joy with the Assignments where I gotta work to unlock something I can use.

Simple items such as red dots, and maybe a wider selection of weapons, should be available from the get go.

yeah - ive seen alot more people on chat requesting for and providing soflam/javelin. I'd been doing it the last few weeks already but its great to see alot more people catch on :D

Its hilarious on Operation Firestorm. :p Get two full squads up on the mountain (1 recon, 2 engineers, one support per squad) and its a slaughterfest. We had people trying to fly up in helos and parachuting to try and kill us. lol

I played about 50 hours or so of BC2 and had all non-specific unlocks. I'm pretty sure I had all classic specific unlocks too. I was only like level 30 at most.

I'm about 45 hours in to BF3 and still got a way to go. I don't mind the whole unlocks system, mainly because it gives me something to shoot for. I think the game would be kind of dry if everything was available to you from the beginning. Achievements don't really excite me at all. I get a better sense of joy with the Assignments where I gotta work to unlock something I can use.

Simple items such as red dots, and maybe a wider selection of weapons, should be available from the get go.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I only played about 20-30 hours in BFBC2 before I had unlocked almost everything, certainly all the weapons.

I dunno, after a few evenings of gaming I usually expect to be getting a feel for the game and be making some progress, BF3 its just not happening, I feel like I'm playing an MMO or something, except one which is grindy right from level 1 :p

blinding sun, dirt on your screen, 46 million candle power flashlights, lasers, dust everywhere. Im blinded 50% of my playtime.
I wish they had a sunglasses unlock.

blinding sun, dirt on your screen, 46 million candle power flashlights, lasers, dust everywhere. Im blinded 50% of my playtime.
I wish they had a sunglasses unlock.

Yeah, I want to contact DICE and ask them what brand is the flashlight so I can buy one.

Sounds fun. I was playing with a friend who was in the scout chopper with the laser upgrade. He would peak over a hill to laser a target and I would lock it and fire. Got a few choppers, and tanks.

After 75 hours of play, didn't realize you could use the Javelin as a passenger in the gunship...dude was just sitting in the cargo bay raining down terror on tanks. Couldn't shake the damn lock on, had no idea what was happening until someone told me in chat. 2 shots and my tank was dead...wow. :(

OTOH, after getting pissed off I decided to switch it up and play sniper. Somehow I ended up capping more flags than usual after picking off a few people, seeing it was empty from a distance then moving in for the cap. Got the MVP on Op Firestorm 64 actually, running around with the...(EMP? Wtf is the co-op sniper rifle again?) and a 12x scope. Finally got a few pistol ribbons too, felt like James Bond. :D

Sometimes just running around with a shotgun and not caring for a little while subdues the frustration when things aren't going well.

After 75 hours of play, didn't realize you could use the Javelin as a passenger in the gunship...dude was just sitting in the cargo bay raining down terror on tanks. Couldn't shake the damn lock on, had no idea what was happening until someone told me in chat. 2 shots and my tank was dead...wow. :(

OTOH, after getting pissed off I decided to switch it up and play sniper. Somehow I ended up capping more flags than usual after picking off a few people, seeing it was empty from a distance then moving in for the cap. Got the MVP on Op Firestorm 64 actually, running around with the...(EMP? Wtf is the co-op sniper rifle again?) and a 12x scope. Finally got a few pistol ribbons too, felt like James Bond. :D

Sometimes just running around with a shotgun and not caring for a little while subdues the frustration when things aren't going well.

I tried having the scout pilot with the laser try to get a lock, and then rotate so I can get a quick lock with the javelin. Didnt really work. Has anybody got that to work? I know if somebody has a SOFLAM/CITV it would but wanted to see if we could just do it with the scout chopper.

How do you solve the ammo problem though? Can a support drop ammo boxes on the chopper?

I tried having the scout pilot with the laser try to get a lock, and then rotate so I can get a quick lock with the javelin. Didnt really work. Has anybody got that to work? I know if somebody has a SOFLAM/CITV it would but wanted to see if we could just do it with the scout chopper.

How do you solve the ammo problem though? Can a support drop ammo boxes on the chopper?

As far as I know the laser designation from CITV and Laser Painter does not stay long enough once you disengage. I've tested trying to CITV and switch to the gunner seat and use my own guided shells for instance, won't work.

What server is this? the only pub server I've seen that has come close to teamwork is reddit's server and [H] (even though on [H] they don't bother logging on to vent or what not)

A great place to put the SOFLAM on Karkand is at the point B rooftop or the square, you can really shut down the other team from using any armor at all. Although, I kind of stopped playing on servers with vehicles with armor due to the lack of teamwork.

What server is this? the only pub server I've seen that has come close to teamwork is reddit's server and [H] (even though on [H] they don't bother logging on to vent or what not)

A great place to put the SOFLAM on Karkand is at the point B rooftop or the square, you can really shut down the other team from using any armor at all. Although, I kind of stopped playing on servers with vehicles with armor due to the lack of teamwork.

It was some arbitrary public server. I'm lucky every now and then joining pub servers and finding good team work there. But not always, of course.

Is it my imagination, or is one of the audio clips some guy yelling "Wolverines"? I don't know what triggers it, but I swear I've heard it a few times and had Red Dawn flashbacks.

Is it my imagination, or is one of the audio clips some guy yelling "Wolverines"? I don't know what triggers it, but I swear I've heard it a few times and had Red Dawn flashbacks.

Think that's your imagination, unless you're doing something I've never done yet to trigger it... (75 hrs).

Haven't played in about a week and a half due to being out of town for the holidays and whatnot...come back today to see that rubberbanding is still there, as usual ):

On the bright side I finally unlocked SOFLAM today, its pretty neat. Ironically there was only one guy using a Javelin on the round of Wake Island that I played; usually there's tons of people trying to Jav and nobody using SOFLAM, this time it was the other way around.

Does anyone else's server browser only show ping on some servers, and after a few refreshes, it stops showing ping on any server...and you have to close out that tab a few times and restart from Origin until it shows pings again?

Using Firefox.

Are those things horrible as flashlights too? I really wish they make the flashlights powerful enough to actually light up a dark room. Bright enough to blind you in broad daylight, but point it at a dark window and it's still black.

The S3 Krypton will burn through the window :p And the MagLite is no joke, that damn thing is brighter than using a spotlight.

Back