Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

There is no team work in sniping, you just sit there contributing nothing to your team except for a few tickets. Which isn't a problem except when your team is getting destroyed because you have 5-10 snipers doing nothing except getting a decent kdr ,while their undermanned team gets massacred trying to take and hold objectives.

I get so many sniper kills on guys trying to AT my teams armour it negates that point completely.
spotting , counter sniping etc.

on caspian, I can single handedly cover either the gas station, checkpoint or hilltop on my own.
killling enemies that are repairjng enemy tanks makes a world of difference.
in a firefight being able to spot enemies engaging your mates so they can properly flank can be a game changer.

I've been trying to play some recon lately, but I don't think I have the patience for it. I used to do pretty well sniping in BF2, but now I find I don't want to wait for the perfect headshot, and so I end up firing off a lot of body shots and not getting as many kills. Don't know if my reflexes have slowed down, or if it is something about the game, or just that I haven't figured out the bullet drop yet, but I can't seem to get headshots like I used to.

I get so many sniper kills on guys trying to AT my teams armour it negates that point completely.
spotting , counter sniping etc.

on caspian, I can single handedly cover either the gas station, checkpoint or hilltop on my own.
killling enemies that are repairjng enemy tanks makes a world of difference.
in a firefight being able to spot enemies engaging your mates so they can properly flank can be a game changer.

Exactly. Sniper as recon with either the MAV spotting or the Soflam marking greatly helps the team if used in conjunction. Counter sniping in rush helps keep your teammates alive long enough to arm and then to keep the enemy from disarming. Picking a spot to keep the enemy from re-capping a point your team just took and ran away from. I can go a whole round as sniper, never kill anyone and still help the team and rack up points . Whip out the pistol or UMP etc and go commando on the front lines also. It's not always about the long range kill but it makes the other team think twice when they are picked off out of no where when they thought they were safe :)

It is especially cool when there 30 snipers lying down at the base and helping 2 remaining guys to arm MCOMs on 64 ppl server.

Just kidding.

There is no team work in sniping, you just sit there contributing nothing to your team except for a few tickets. Which isn't a problem except when your team is getting destroyed because you have 5-10 snipers doing nothing except getting a decent kdr ,while their undermanned team gets massacred trying to take and hold objectives.

Hasty generalization is hasty.

A recon can be a really useful class, but at the same time it is a novelty class. For some reason "noobs" are drawn to 2 really common classes in FPS games they are spies and snipers. If you exclude any of these from your game you will definitely alienate a large segment of the population. In a sense they are always over powered classes if you make them how the noobs want them so most games make them weak to counter their unfair ability in range or stealth. I think most people would rather they not even exist in competition, but if you do not have a mass of players playing your game you wont have competition either. Pubs are important to drive popularity which eventually means eSports (not game play as most people seem to falsely think)

So in general decent gamers get a really bad view of the sniper because most people who play it are really bad at it. They are just infactuated by the long distance shot and the feeling of security knowing that someone is going to have to close alot of distance to get close to you. I think glorification from movies also plays a large role in this. But they rarely do what the class really needs to do which is cover positions or lock down firing lanes. In BF3 I play recon a decent amount and do so without any sniper rifle because tugs is so useful, nothing like built in wall hacks. In some cases in some maps the right rifle also allows you to close off a path because no one can get past a good sniper. That being said those cases are not that common in practice. Look at the really good teams in the tournaments they have 8 guys and alot of them do not even bother with a sniper weapon though they will often use recon.

Look at the really good teams in the tournaments they have 8 guys and alot of them do not even bother with a sniper weapon though they will often use recon.

I use sniper often and I newer use sniper rifles. I'm kind of attacking sniper with wall hack "Enemy Radar":)

I've been trying to play some recon lately, but I don't think I have the patience for it. I used to do pretty well sniping in BF2, but now I find I don't want to wait for the perfect headshot, and so I end up firing off a lot of body shots and not getting as many kills. Don't know if my reflexes have slowed down, or if it is something about the game, or just that I haven't figured out the bullet drop yet, but I can't seem to get headshots like I used to.

i found that i need to use 8-12X scopes to snipe properly in this game

A recon can be a really useful class, but at the same time it is a novelty class. For some reason "noobs" are drawn to 2 really common classes in FPS games they are spies and snipers. If you exclude any of these from your game you will definitely alienate a large segment of the population. In a sense they are always over powered classes if you make them how the noobs want them so most games make them weak to counter their unfair ability in range or stealth. I think most people would rather they not even exist in competition, but if you do not have a mass of players playing your game you wont have competition either. Pubs are important to drive popularity which eventually means eSports (not game play as most people seem to falsely think)

So in general decent gamers get a really bad view of the sniper because most people who play it are really bad at it. They are just infactuated by the long distance shot and the feeling of security knowing that someone is going to have to close alot of distance to get close to you. I think glorification from movies also plays a large role in this. But they rarely do what the class really needs to do which is cover positions or lock down firing lanes. In BF3 I play recon a decent amount and do so without any sniper rifle because tugs is so useful, nothing like built in wall hacks. In some cases in some maps the right rifle also allows you to close off a path because no one can get past a good sniper. That being said those cases are not that common in practice. Look at the really good teams in the tournaments they have 8 guys and alot of them do not even bother with a sniper weapon though they will often use recon.

I think this is spot on. Snipers are great for picking off those 1-2 guys that otherwise would kill a rush/advance, or for taking care of that same 1 or 2 guys that would stop a MCOM plant or a defuse. What they usually do instead is sit somewhere in the middle of nowhere, picking off other guys in the middle of nowhere that are doing nothing of consequence.

I think this is spot on. Snipers are great for picking off those 1-2 guys that otherwise would kill a rush/advance, or for taking care of that same 1 or 2 guys that would stop a MCOM plant or a defuse. What they usually do instead is sit somewhere in the middle of nowhere, picking off other guys in the middle of nowhere that are doing nothing of consequence.

yeah - some guys sit out like way out in nowhere (like the hill in operation firestorm near the US base), where they arnt able to shoot anything without taking 20 shots at them

I try to get setup in an aera of consequence and actually do some sniping where it will be important.

I will go recon with my squad and MAV/overwatch on a cap or mcom or soflam for them

I'm usually the designated recon when i'm playing with my clan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRDh_pHBg0

The video was taken a while back and i've since learned that when an enemy enters a building, the proper action was to make the MAV hover on top of it so you can continue to track him with the motion sensor while you keep scanning the surrounding area.

I've played with other recons covering me while in assault mode and it does make a big difference when i'm the one in the field. The ability to 'see' behind walls when entering a new area is borderline overkill.

I've actually got an MAV phobia now. Anytime i see an enemy MAV, i have to kill it.

Last edited:

Just a few rounds ago I sniped 4 guys who were trying to do just that. I found my central position on the warehouse roofs was far more advantageous.

There are three things I really wish I could change about this game:

Spawn protection is supposed to cover you for like 2 seconds after spawn, right? Well, it doesn't seem to work. I realize there's serious balance issues about providing invincibility on spawn, so what I would suggest is that any deaths within five seconds of spawn don't count as deaths on your stat record. It's just so frustrating to me whenever I die right after spawning, it really sucks the fun out of the game when this happens.

I would make weapon unlocks point based rather than kill-based, so that those kill and suppression assists still count for something. Only points from using the weapon would count, obviously (capping a point with your gun equipped wouldn't contribute points towards that gun.) Balance it so that it still takes roughly the same amount of kills (say, 1500 points per unlock instead of 10 kills? I say that because of bonuses like avenger, savior, etc., etc.)

Finally, I would unlock both faction starter weapons for each class in multiplayer upon completion of the single player campaign. To better explain: remember when you started out, and you were given an Ak on the Russian side, and an M16 on the American side, for the Assault class? If I had my way, finishing the SP campaign would allow you to choose whichever you wanted, rather than have it depend on your faction. When I first started, having to switch weapons depending on what team I was on frustrated the hell out of me just because I hate iron sights so much. This would alleviate that frustration and encourage more people to play the SP campaign before jumping into multiplayer, without really being a huge game changer.

Spawn protection is supposed to cover you for like 2 seconds after spawn, right? Well, it doesn't seem to work. I realize there's serious balance issues about providing invincibility on spawn, so what I would suggest is that any deaths within five seconds of spawn don't count as deaths on your stat record. It's just so frustrating to me whenever I die right after spawning, it really sucks the fun out of the game when this happens.

I would make weapon unlocks point based rather than kill-based, so that those kill and suppression assists still count for something. Only points from using the weapon would count, obviously (capping a point with your gun equipped wouldn't contribute points towards that gun.) Balance it so that it still takes roughly the same amount of kills (say, 1500 points per unlock instead of 10 kills? I say that because of bonuses like avenger, savior, etc., etc.)

Finally, I would unlock both faction starter weapons for each class in multiplayer upon completion of the single player campaign. To better explain: remember when you started out, and you were given an Ak on the Russian side, and an M16 on the American side, for the Assault class? If I had my way, finishing the SP campaign would allow you to choose whichever you wanted, rather than have it depend on your faction. When I first started, having to switch weapons depending on what team I was on frustrated the hell out of me just because I hate iron sights so much. This would alleviate that frustration and encourage more people to play the SP campaign before jumping into multiplayer, without really being a huge game changer.

I remember reading something about spawn protection but I don't think thats for RUSH/conquest. Those modes shouldn't have spawn protection. If somebody is capping a point and you spawn in, well that's your fault. If you are killed while spawning pick a different place/squadmate. Exception would be uncap point which should have spawn protection. Five seconds of no death being counted is too long. Maybe 2 and if you move the death will count. A better solution would fix the spawn system. Don't spawn me in LOS of somebody or 2 ft around the corner. Plenty of spawns for the game to choose from unless the area is surrounded.

Pointbased weapon system would be cool.

Good idea for SP.

Last edited:

If they did an equivalent amount of points for unlocks instead of kills, you would unlock every accessory for a weapon way too fast. I like how they have it kill based, forces people to learn how to use the different weapons at least somewhat proficiently.

Warrior X pretty much it hit it on the nail in regards to spawn protection
darkstarcow did the same with the weapon unlock points.

As for the last point, I disagree as well. It doesn't take long to unlock viable/good scopes for the starter weapons. In addition, it doesn't take long for you to unlock other guns to use in place of the faction starter guns. Also, your plan would force me to play a 7 to 8 hour single player that isn't that fun IMO. Thats 7 to 8 hours I could be spending in MP where I'm actually having fun. Finally, DICE already lets you the US or Russian starter guns regardless of faction once you get the Silver Star for that class.

I remember reading something about spawn protection but I don't think thats for RUSH/conquest. Those modes shouldn't have spawn protection. If somebody is capping a point and you spawn in, well that's your fault. If you are killed while spawning pick a different place/squadmate. Exception would be uncap point which should have spawn protection. Five seconds of no death being counted is too long. Maybe 2 and if you move the death will count. A better solution would fix the spawn system. Don't spawn me in LOS of somebody or 2 ft around the corner. Plenty of spawns for the game to choose from unless the area is surrounded.

Good idea for SP.

I'm not talking about protection I'm talking about the death just not counting against your K/D ratio. There may be some people good enough to get their wits about them after spawning in a split second and be ready to fight but that's not most of us. If you die within 5 seconds of spawning, it's almost always bullshit.

As for the last point, I disagree as well. It doesn't take long to unlock viable/good scopes for the starter weapons. In addition, it doesn't take long for you to unlock other guns to use in place of the faction starter guns. Also, your plan would force me to play a 7 to 8 hour single player that isn't that fun IMO. Thats 7 to 8 hours I could be spending in MP where I'm actually having fun. Finally, DICE already lets you the US or Russian starter guns regardless of faction once you get the Silver Star for that class.

Bullshit. It was fucking miserable when I started off because it took forever to get the scopes for the starting weapons. You have none of your class's useful toys at that point, no other useful weapons, and everyone else around you has a wide variety of unlocks that give them a huge advantage. You don't know the maps or game modes well yet either. When I first started I was averaging 3-5 kills a round if I was lucky. And then the next round I played, I wasn't even leveling the same weapon. :rolleyes: Letting noob players at least be able to consistently use the same waepon every round would at least make it a little less frustrating. It doesn't force you to do anything, just encourages you to play the single player and get a feel for the game mechanics first. It's not like it's unlocking a weapon you wouldn't have otherwise.

And LOL at the "silver star gets you whichever weapon you want" point, as if that's in any way relevant to a new player.

Bullshit. It was fucking miserable when I started off because it took forever to get the scopes for the starting weapons.
Maybe you and I have different views on what is "forever". And definitely different experiences: It takes ten kills to unlock the first scope for the starting weapons. It only took two matches at most for me to unlock the starting weapons' first scopes per gun when I first started out. Thats only about an hour to hour and a half of gaming at most. That's not a long time at all IMO.

Letting noob players at least be able to consistently use the same waepon every round would at least make it a little less frustrating.
I agree with this in principle. However I disagree with your planned method for doing that.

It doesn't force you to do anything, just encourages you to play the single player and get a feel for the game mechanics first. It's not like it's unlocking a weapon you wouldn't have otherwise.
Fair point. But again, the player could be spending those 7 to 8 hours in the multiplayer actually getting a feel for the game mechanics. 7 to 8 hours is plenty of time to learn and get a feel for the game as well as get scope and weapon unlocks. Plus in the SP, didn't you often switch between weapons as well?

And LOL at the "silver star gets you whichever weapon you want" point, as if that's in any way relevant to a new player.
It is relevant as it lets you know later on that you can choose whatever weapon you want.

That's an hour to an hour and a half of miserable, frustrating gameplay that could easily turn new players away. It doesn't need to be any harder than it already is.

I remember getting pretty irritated about having to remember which gun I unlocked what for during the BETA when we were juggled between RU and US. It didn't take long to figure out, but it was a bit of a nuisance at first. I can see it causing frustration to other players and can see how it can turn away some players.

But in all honesty, the beginning guns are extremely good. The M16A3/AK-74M rank among the best, the M4A1/AKS-74u is essentially the engineer's version of the M16A3/AK-74M and the M27 IAR is basically the LMG version of the M416. All great guns and you can easily hit Colonel using just those weapons. People just need to muscle through the first 20 or 30 kills to unlock all the necessary addons. It is not that bad if you step back and look at it.

Bullshit. It was fucking miserable when I started off because it took forever to get the scopes for the starting weapons. You have none of your class's useful toys at that point, no other useful weapons, and everyone else around you has a wide variety of unlocks that give them a huge advantage. You don't know the maps or game modes well yet either. When I first started I was averaging 3-5 kills a round if I was lucky. And then the next round I played, I wasn't even leveling the same weapon. :rolleyes: Letting noob players at least be able to consistently use the same waepon every round would at least make it a little less frustrating. It doesn't force you to do anything, just encourages you to play the single player and get a feel for the game mechanics first. It's not like it's unlocking a weapon you wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm sorry that new players aren't handed everything on a silver platter, including but not limited too all weapons and unlocks from the start and having all other players forced to play with 500+ ping to make things "fair" for someone such as yourself. (Did the sarcasm come through?)

I'm sorry that new players aren't handed everything on a silver platter, including but not limited too all weapons and unlocks from the start and having all other players forced to play with 500+ ping to make things "fair" for someone such as yourself. (Did the sarcasm come through?)

Dice obviously made this game for consoles because I didn't get the BFG9000 when I first spawned! :mad:

Yeah because that's definitely what I'm suggesting, right? All I'm saying is to give new players a way of at least using the same starter weapon. I'm not saying to make it better, I'm not saying to give them unlocks any faster, I'm just saying at least let them have the option of consistency...if they're willing to work a little for it offline.

Definitely the same thing as handing them everything on a fucking silver platter. :rolleyes:

Oh, and since you can get multiplayer goodies from co-op, there's already a precedent for giving you some multiplayer benefit for playing the other parts of the game...

I found swapping starter weapons between sides was as annoying in retail as it was in beta. But then again, I have trouble remembering to actually put mods on the guns as soon as I get them, so the game would load up the next round and I wouldn't have any mods for my gun... And then I'd forget for a while, so I'd end up with no mods on my guns until I had like 3-4 of them. Heh.

At this point, though, I just wish it wouldn't still swap between them when you switch sides after you've unlocked them for both sides. I constantly forget to swap them at the beginning of the round.

Just finished the single player game. Story wasn't too bad. Far superior to Call of Duty's single player games. Still short but far more challenging and entertaining. This is the first SP game of BF I've ever liked enough to finish.

Just finished the single player game. Story wasn't too bad. Far superior to Call of Duty's single player games. Still short but far more challenging and entertaining. This is the first SP game of BF I've ever liked enough to finish.

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it, not sure why everyone was complaining about it. It really shows off the game too.

I found swapping starter weapons between sides was as annoying in retail as it was in beta. But then again, I have trouble remembering to actually put mods on the guns as soon as I get them, so the game would load up the next round and I wouldn't have any mods for my gun... And then I'd forget for a while, so I'd end up with no mods on my guns until I had like 3-4 of them. Heh.

At this point, though, I just wish it wouldn't still swap between them when you switch sides after you've unlocked them for both sides. I constantly forget to swap them at the beginning of the round.

I got so frustrated with the alternating weapons thing that as soon as I unlocked my first weapons for each class, I abandoned the starting weapons altogether. I guess now I can go back to them easily enough, but when I first started playing, those sight unlocks seemed like a massive undertaking to get.

Hence...my suggestion, in the first place.

Some of my clanmates finally got around to getting a copy. We were teaching them the game mechanics and one of my general advice is to unlock the next weapon and stick to that. After leveling all the guns, i actually went back to using the starting guns up until the Assignment guns came out, but i had unlocked them for both sides by then. The starting guns are very good, but switching between the two classes is disorienting.

Anyone think the QBB-95 is OP? :p 12x scope + bipod + extended mag = super sniper rifle. Its also pretty bad ass on accuracy. 115 kills and 51 were headshots so far.

Clanmate had some extra time in his hands :)

FNkRw.jpg

People dont really have anything to complain about. Weapons in the game are very balanced. For most weapons, differences are very minimal.
Assault rifles- The M16/AK are both excellent. Unlockable guns are fine, but none offer hands down advantage over the starters.
Carbines- Same as above
MachingGuns- The M27 lacks the big magazine, but once you hit the M249 your rockin with its big magazine and awesome ROF.
Long Rifles- I snipe lots and I have to say, the SV98 is a huge leap over the SPR/SVD, but the M98 is in a class all on its own.

Good idea for SP.

spawn protectection is supposed to be 2 seconds and goes away the second you move

I do hate getting spawned behind while capping but wtf are they supposed to do?

I
But in all honesty, the beginning guns are extremely good. The M16A3/AK-74M rank among the best, the M4A1/AKS-74u is essentially the engineer's version of the M16A3/AK-74M and the M27 IAR is basically the LMG version of the M416. All great guns and you can easily hit Colonel using just those weapons. People just need to muscle through the first 20 or 30 kills to unlock all the necessary addons. It is not that bad if you step back and look at it.

yes they are. in fact, the M27 may actually be the BEST LMG, only hampered by mag capactiy.

I got so frustrated with the alternating weapons thing that as soon as I unlocked my first weapons for each class, I abandoned the starting weapons altogether. I guess now I can go back to them easily enough, but when I first started playing, those sight unlocks seemed like a massive undertaking to get.

Hence...my suggestion, in the first place.
yeah I agree, im trudging through the FAMAS and the irons are SHIT and its a PITA. and its utter garbage IMO with a 4x(the frist scope unlock) and no foregrip, double tap attemptes= looking at the sky
Clanmate had some extra time in his hands :)

very awesome. I wish I could add you in battlelog, alot of my normal bf3 buddies have gone to SWTOR :( but I dont think I can play on pacific rim/se asia servers very well

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it, not sure why everyone was complaining about it. It really shows off the game too.

I enjoyed the campaign as well, played through it twice. Although they did miss some opportunities in allowing players to familiarize themselves with vehicles.

They easily could have made the flying mission player-controlled, or at least switched you to an A-10 pilot for the second half. A Viper support mission (similar to co-op) during Thunder Run would have been cool. They switched characters enough that it would not have interrupted the narrative that much.

And I still feel like there is a HUGE chunk of the game that they just cut out, where the Russian operative is concerned. What little I got of that storyline was just begging for additional missions.

In the end, it may well have been budget and time that prevented them from taking some of these routes. And as I mentioned, some of the missions on my wishlist did end up on Co-op; I am holding out hope that future DLC will add more co-op and let us have some more vehicle goodness.

Again, I liked the campaign. However, just a few more missions--especially with vehicles--would have elevated the SP to a different level, I feel.

yeah I agree, im trudging through the FAMAS and the irons are SHIT and its a PITA. and its utter garbage IMO with a 4x(the frist scope unlock) and no foregrip, double tap attemptes= looking at the sky

It really doesn't get any better at all. I like to get all guns to at least 100 rather than find the best gun at the moment and farm kills with that. But the FAMAS is just a sickly piece of shit. I suffered through the disgusting irons and the horrible ACOG - really can't stand any optics in this game bar the unmagnified ones - and it doesn't get any better with the RDS. It's great up close, probably the best rifle in the game in CQ, but you try and take someone out at any range and they are going to do you effortlessly.

Luckily the 85A2 is a beauty so it was all worth it.

Back