Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Ok so finally playing support tonight...WTF the m249 is ridiculous. Literally 4+ times I come around a corner and hit the enemy flank - 5, 6 kills in one clip. Not prone with bipod, just standing up spraying that bastard. WOW! Never experienced anything like it except maybe the p90 in CS beta 5.2...run into a room and mow them all down, amazing lol. Using the holgraphic sight and foregrip.

How do they determine who the top in the clan standings? I've been checking out the platoons, and in one instance they had a recon with a 1,000+ score. Whoa! So i checked him out. His time/kit is completely green! (Green=support/Recon=red), his recon meter is 1%

How can someone almost exclusively support be the top recon?

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1038036509 said:
Anyone ever get this weird screen where it shows a shit load of guys parachuting down the screen?

http://i.imgur.com/IJNMY.png/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/KKdxH.png/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2axUP.png/img][/QUOTE]

Haha it's like a screensaver!

Ok so finally playing support tonight...WTF the m249 is ridiculous. Literally 4+ times I come around a corner and hit the enemy flank - 5, 6 kills in one clip. Not prone with bipod, just standing up spraying that bastard. WOW! Never experienced anything like it except maybe the p90 in CS beta 5.2...run into a room and mow them all down, amazing lol. Using the holgraphic sight and foregrip.

Ya, support machine guns are seriously powerful. So powerful you barely even have to aim. The current FOTM is M249 with IRNV and fore grip. I hate those guys as it is super cheesy.

Ya, support machine guns are seriously powerful. So powerful you barely even have to aim. The current FOTM is M249 with IRNV and fore grip. I hate those guys as it is super cheesy.

Sounds good, I'll try it ;)

The one thing I think they wasted time on was the command rose as it is in BF3. I'm really not sure what the point of this is. The context based system with BC2 worked much better (Point to vehicle as a engineer, it spams I can repair. Point to a support, it spams I need ammo. And etc.) Actually I'm not even clear why people wanted this in the first other than for BF2 nostalgia.

It is a bit nastalgic, and as a long time BF2'er I will give you that.

That being said, I still find it very useful even though it lacks the full functionality that the comm rose that BF2 had. I like being able to quickly initiate iteraction rather than having it generate automatic spam. A better blend of BC2 and BF2 maybe?

One of the greatest assets of the comm rose was that you could 'spot' without having line of site. Maybe that was removed for balance, but it was very nice being able to call out tank when you were pinned down behind cover.

New Battlefield Blog Post: Going Back to Karkand #5: Gameplay from Strike at Karkand, Assignments Explained

11/18/11 | By HBrun

Today, we have a brand new gameplay trailer from the reimagined Strike at Karkand map! Also, read on to find out how our new Assignments in Back to Karkand extend the persistence in Battlefield 3.

Battlefield 3: Strike at Karkand Gameplay (HD)

We hope you enjoy our new gameplay trailer with footage from Strike at Karkand. With the enhanced destruction in the Back to Karkand expansion pack, this all-time classic map has never looked or played better. For a trip down memory lane with the designer of the original Strike at Karkand map, see this earlier blog post.

10 all-new Assignments extend the persistence
The Back to Karkand expansion pack is much more than just maps. We are also adding a new layer of persistence in the form of ten Assignments. These will be tracked no matter if you play a base game map or expansion pack map, and add a new way to unlock things in the game.

The ten Assignments add a new layer of persistence. Click for full resolution image.

Let’s take a closer look at the “Let it Rain” Assignment. To complete this assignment, players must score 20 kills with Light Machine Guns and two mortar kills. The game will keep track of how far along you have come to fulfill it. When you have met the requirements, you will unlock a new Back to Karkand weapon (with a matching set of dog tags) to use on any map including the base game. You will also unlock the new Creeping Death Assignment.

As with all of the Assignments introduced in Back to Karkand, you can keep building towards these no matter if you play on regular maps or maps from the new expansion pack itself. Your regular persistence will also be intact and keep building up no matter what map you play – Back to Karkand is in this way completely integrated into the base game, including the ability to have a map rotation mixing base game maps with Back to Karkand maps.

The all-time classic map Strike at Karkand has never looked or played better.

Come back next week for more details on Back to Karkand. We have more videos coming your way, as well as more details on the new vehicles, weapons, and more.

As always, if you pre-ordered your copy of Battlefield 3: Limited Edition, you are entitled to Back to Karkand at no extra charge and will be notified in-game once it is available for download and play in December. Anyone can buy it on the launch day for $14.99/1200 Microsoft Points, or the equivalent in their local currency. PlayStation 3 players will have exclusive 1 week early access to Back to Karkand.

damn that looks fun. i'm happy to see the rest of Karkand too (across the canal). the assignments look fun, i just hope the one they showcased is a beginning assignment and they get progressively more difficult. 20 kills and 2 mortar kills? won't take long at all to complete that.

edit: you can see in the screenshot that the assignments get progressively more difficult, but you can't see what the specific objectives are.

L85A2. Good call, DICE. I hope it's the modern version with the DD rail systems in place and not the pig-ugly 30 year-old piece of shit everyone seems to think is still the only available setup. If they give it the "cannot mount underslung weapon systems" like some other guns in BF3 I am going to throw a fit. The one in the video appears to be the pre-Daniel setup, so I'm not holding out much hope.

FAMAS and some Chinese gear too. Bizon, L96, all the BF2 classics. I like it.

Last edited:
§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1038037429 said:
LOL, ya it's crazy looking see all those guys parachuting down the screen, I lol'd when it happened. Very weird glitch.

No idea how that would glitch like that, I mean wouldn't the animation have to come from somewhere?

I remember OGC hacks for old school CS... Man, I installed that for a couple days just for the lols... So stupid. You could run 10x faster and be in their spawn instantly, murdering them all with the machine gun.

You still see that occasionally in a CS 1.6 pub.

How do they determine who the top in the clan standings? I've been checking out the platoons, and in one instance they had a recon with a 1,000+ score. Whoa! So i checked him out. His time/kit is completely green! (Green=support/Recon=red), his recon meter is 1%

How can someone almost exclusively support be the top recon?

They just picked up the kit for a quick second and maybe killed someone, then switched back. I am top recon in my platoon, and I NEVER have actually selected recon to spawn. I must have just picked up a kit somewhere along the way when i was out of ammo and killed a few people.

Hardware question.

Current setup is Q6700@ 3.6 - 8gig ram - SSD - GTX460 1gb - 2650x1600.

on low setting I get 45 - 60 FPS with CPU and GPU both using about 30%
on medium I get about 35 - 50 with CPU and GPU both using about 45%
on high I get about 15 - 30 with CPU and GPU using about 65%
on ultra I get about 5 - 15 with CPU and GPU both Maxing out.

It seems to me a bit strange that both my CPU and GPU are running around the same percentages and running at such a small utilization and yet not maintaining a stable 60 FPS. Why Doesn't Low settings utilize more CPU&GPU to keep it from bouncing down to 45 FPS is it some video ram limitation or something.

I'm going to snag another 460gtx to sli with the hopes I can do medium around 60 FPS stable but the low utilization is making think that sli might not help for a stable 60 FPS.

can anyone spit me some knowledge?

the fact that your gpu utilization is not 90%+ leads me to believe that your processor is holding you back; but i'm skeptical at that remark because a Q6700 @ 3.6 is pretty damn stout. for reference my i5-2500K is usually around 70% utilization and my SLI 460's are at 99%.

the fact that your gpu utilization is not 90%+ leads me to believe that your processor is holding you back; but i'm skeptical at that remark because a Q6700 @ 3.6 is pretty damn stout. for reference my i5-2500K is usually around 70% utilization and my SLI 460's are at 99%.

I would think that way as well but my CPU isn't high either. They are both about the same % at all graphical settings.

I don't know that I like the sound of:

the reimagined Strike at Karkand map

How about just porting the actual Karkand map, instead of reimagining it into some kind of Metro crapfest.

I don't know that I like the sound of:

How about just porting the actual Karkand map, instead of reimagining it into some kind of Metro crapfest.

Its possible they mean updating it to reflect what it can look like in the new engine...debris, more "shit" decorating the map to make it more life-like.

Yeah, it seems like any of the LMGs with foregrip are ridiculous. Accuracy needs to be toned down...either that or damage per shot.

LMG have accuracy issues after 3 bullets, but the foregrip should be removed from them as an option. If you want any type of sustained accuracy with one I am of the feeling you need to be bi-pod deployed. Run & Gun LMG play is stupid and unbalanced.

I'm down -- at work now and all weeekend but I'll add you, I got maybe 75% of my CO-OP done, but needing someone who won't puss out on me for the last few hard levels I have to finsih.

Personally co-op is fun as hell, even though its the same thing I love the high level of environmental interaction... rolling up on the english bank, or doing a raid in the corporate high rise? freaking awesome stuff

LMG have accuracy issues after 3 bullets, but the foregrip should be removed from them as an option. If you want any type of sustained accuracy with one I am of the feeling you need to be bi-pod deployed. Run & Gun LMG play is stupid and unbalanced.

I refuse to use the foregrip because of how cheese ball it is. I have unlocked all support weapons and am now working on getting all the unlocks for them.

So with these new missions in the Back to Karkand pack, and theyre saying new weapons to unlock, does that mean the rest of us BF3 Limited Edition owners who didnt preorder from gamestop will finally be able to unlock the t88 machinegun? It was a fav of mine in BC2 because i never had to let go of the tricgger. I could just walk, and it would keep firing, and i could hide, and it would keep firing, and i could kill some people, and it would keep firing, and 5 minutes later it would need to reload. I miss my t88 :)

Personally co-op is fun as hell, even though its the same thing

I really hope they take time to do a few more of these; it's a great opportunity for people to have fun with the game's vehicles and mechanics even if they aren't great with them. On my wishlist:

-A dogfight mission (what the SP mission should have been)
-An armor mission (more of the first part of the Thunder Run stage)
-A CAS mission with the A-10
-A night-time attack helicopter mission
-A couple more stealth missions
-VOIP, or at least, context-sensitive countdown timers for timed shots, etc.

All of those scenarios would be awesome with a partner, I think. Flying alongside your wingman, watching his back or taking strafing runs against armor columns? Yes please!

Co-op could really fill the gap between SP and MP where players can get more familiar with the vehicles.

And for those pilots like me, who are moderate but not good enough to go up against great pilots (there's always a better pilot), co-op would be a chance to feel like the badass we all want to be!

So with these new missions in the Back to Karkand pack, and theyre saying new weapons to unlock, does that mean the rest of us BF3 Limited Edition owners who didnt preorder from gamestop will finally be able to unlock the t88 machinegun?.....

I have it with my pre-order from Origin. On my part I can wait for the MG 36 , here the gun you will unlock in Karkand ;

•MP5
•PP-19
•L85A2
•FAMAS
•Type 88
•L96A1
•Jackhammer
•MG36
•Type 95
•Type 97

The one thing I think they wasted time on was the command rose as it is in BF3. I'm really not sure what the point of this is. The context based system with BC2 worked much better (Point to vehicle as a engineer, it spams I can repair. Point to a support, it spams I need ammo. And etc.) Actually I'm not even clear why people wanted this in the first other than for BF2 nostalgia.

I must disagree. Having to find someone of the support or medic class (or whatever class), be at some arbitrary range, and then use the context key, assuming it even prompts you on the screen, is horrible because there are too many dependencies that restrict its use. Simply calling out for ammo or a medic kit (or whatever) should be on the commo rose for universal use. I have no idea how Dice dropped the ball on the commo rose, but I hope they fix it soon.

So with these new missions in the Back to Karkand pack, and theyre saying new weapons to unlock, does that mean the rest of us BF3 Limited Edition owners who didnt preorder from gamestop will finally be able to unlock the t88 machinegun? It was a fav of mine in BC2 because i never had to let go of the tricgger. I could just walk, and it would keep firing, and i could hide, and it would keep firing, and i could kill some people, and it would keep firing, and 5 minutes later it would need to reload. I miss my t88 :)

:D haha that's the best description of the T88 i've ever heard. it's much different in BF3, much more unruly.

Welp, if anyone wants to do some co-op right now, I'm bored and everyone I know isn't home yet. Hit me up on Battlelog, info in sig.

Hardware question.

Current setup is Q6700@ 3.6 - 8gig ram - SSD - GTX460 1gb - 2650x1600.

on low setting I get 45 - 60 FPS with CPU and GPU both using about 30%
on medium I get about 35 - 50 with CPU and GPU both using about 45%
on high I get about 15 - 30 with CPU and GPU using about 65%
on ultra I get about 5 - 15 with CPU and GPU both Maxing out.

It seems to me a bit strange that both my CPU and GPU are running around the same percentages and running at such a small utilization and yet not maintaining a stable 60 FPS. Why Doesn't Low settings utilize more CPU&GPU to keep it from bouncing down to 45 FPS is it some video ram limitation or something.

I'm going to snag another 460gtx to sli with the hopes I can do medium around 60 FPS stable but the low utilization is making think that sli might not help for a stable 60 FPS.

can anyone spit me some knowledge?

You're not CPU limited. Not sure about usages, but my CPU at 3.0 keeps the GPU at 98% usage.

Begin Rant

I love this friggin' game. I don't know that it has surpassed my love for BF2 just yet, but it's getting there. I'm completely addicted!

End Rant

BF3 is th3 good.

I really hope they take time to do a few more of these; it's a great opportunity for people to have fun with the game's vehicles and mechanics even if they aren't great with them. On my wishlist:

-A dogfight mission (what the SP mission should have been)
-An armor mission (more of the first part of the Thunder Run stage)
-A CAS mission with the A-10
-A night-time attack helicopter mission
-A couple more stealth missions
-VOIP, or at least, context-sensitive countdown timers for timed shots, etc.

All of those scenarios would be awesome with a partner, I think. Flying alongside your wingman, watching his back or taking strafing runs against armor columns? Yes please!

Co-op could really fill the gap between SP and MP where players can get more familiar with the vehicles.

And for those pilots like me, who are moderate but not good enough to go up against great pilots (there's always a better pilot), co-op would be a chance to feel like the badass we all want to be!

Yeah, I love all of these ideas. Was this you that I was playing with earlier, MavericK99966?

Time to start leveling up my SG553 now. :D

both my video cards are hovering right around ~40% usage in game. [email protected], crossfire 6950's(oc'ed), 8gb ram, 1920x1200, ultra with AA turned down. CPU bottle-necking everything? Cores are at about ~85% usage in game.

Back