Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

I made the mistake of only trying to play recon in BF3 at the beginning. Recon was so good in BC2 I thought it would be decent in BF3. Boy was I wrong. Recon being so crappy and the myriad of bugs really made me grumpy. Switched over to engineer and I find driving tanks etc a blast. I tear people up in armor.

I really like the maps: Operation Firestorm, Damavand Peak (once went like 42 to1 using tank in tunnel), Canals, Caspian, Kharg.

Tehran Highway is really the only map I really don't care for. Not sure why, but it appears to be a campers heaven and the game just isn't as fun as the other maps.

On another note, it seems like snipers are just a nuisance in this game. My favorite is rushing an objective out in the open or something and die in one hit (I only play HC), only to find out the sniper has like three kills the whole map. I mean seriously, how do you have fun sitting on a hill getting three kills in 10 minutes? I'd say 90% of sniper I see out there are on the bottom half of the scoreboard.
Another thing I REALLY hate; people who freaking steal your armor. If I hop out to repair, people will see this and try and hop in to steal it. I usually end up team killing them either with rockets from the back or when they jump out to repair. (I only play HC with FF on 64-player servers). Anyone else seen this tactic by other players?

Lastly, what about those retards that will jump in troop carrying vehicles, immediately speed off empty and leave most of the team behind? I usually send a rocket up their ass and kill them too. :)

played sniper took 2 acepins in a row on firestorm, 5-0 3k headshots from 700m racks in points. its all about how the player plays the sniper class.

load of noobs who dont even defend objectives.

I must confess. I just used a hack in BF3. I picked up a gun from a dead guy with this Infrared Scope. Before IR scope my KD was like 2-1, after I picked it up from dead body I killed 10 guys in a row till gun ammo was over and didn't even tried hard.

What a beautiful hacking device. I need to play more to unlock it for myself.

BTW, I updated ATI drivers to latest ones and BF3 is flying now on my old machine E6750, 3.2GHz, Radeon 5870

I mainly play rush, and the SU25 and the A10 eat tanks alive. I was playing on a server (caspain border) And the russians had an excellent jet pilot. Our team could do nothing with the armor. One strafing run from the SU25 and your tank was blown right up. He'd do this right at the spawn point, so you didn't really have time to get orientated.

He'd somehow always manage to get our jet as it was running the run way, so even if we had the worlds best jet pilot, they wouldn't be able to do anything. Stingers couldnt' touch this guy, with the damn flares. (Stingers have to be the most useless weapon, EVER)

Even if the tank got a good bead on the guy as he was coming in for a straffing run, he'd blow up your tank before you had a chance to even disable his jet. (Perhaps the SU25 has more armor then the F18 and such..)

Mortars are completely retarded to. The game was awesome fun the first couple days because no one had unlocked them yet. Now all you see is people with 20-0 spawning mortars 24/7 from their spawn point in rush maps. I haven't played support yet, so I don't have the mortar, and really the counter argument to mortars is change your loadout, blow theirs up, then switch back to what you normally play? That sounds like a whole lot of fun..

One reason I played on bf2 inf only, its to easy to make the game unbalanced if a good pilot was there. but normally you should be able to take a pilot down if the team or squads go for it.
I find most teams are played with noobs who dont take objectives nor defend them.
rush mode is cod mode dont play it.

mortars are easy to kill or to avoid, just move around a little, they dont make much dmg.
game is made for people to move, not camp.

The constant raping of the airfield is a pita. Unless you get 2-3 ppl willing to help shoot him down. As for mortar whores. Just listen for them. Rush would be a bit tricky but in conquest I knife the hell out of them.

A10 and su25 both have much better armor and a stronger gun so their balancing IS much better, its where I think the f18/su35 should be but the rush planes SHOULD be more powerful and stronger as their real life counterparts are. A10 can take a shitstorm of hate and still fly whereas an f18 is a beautiful work of art with lots of electrical gizmos that don't take so kindly to having holes punched in them.

Airfield raping should be easily dispatched by stationary aa and, as someone who's spent about 15 hours in jets, 2-3 AA assets can really hinder a jet if used properly against 95% of the pilots out there. If I get a missle fired at me I wait a few seconds before popping flares but then I'm vulnerable for 20-30 seconds to another lock, so stagger firing AA works really well. Also, if you don't hit me, your still keeping me fromm attack targets on the ground or another jet. No points for deterrance bur your still helping your team.

USAS-12 EXPLOSIVE ROUND EXTENDED CLIP = AMAZING GUN OF DESTRUCTION!!!!

You can take out heli's with this thing, blow up walls, blow up hummers and other vehicles... It's AMAZING!

Will post a vid later, not to mention the fireball rounds coming out are sooo sexy in subway of metro.

Better run as support though, go through ammo like crazy!

I'm spotting like a fool and I never get any points. Strange.

On another note, they really need to do something about helicopters in this game. WAY overpowered.

They can kill a tank and mobile AA in like 2-3 seconds from a range that the AA can't even hit. It's just silly. Not to mention anti-air missiles are completely worthless and are spoofed 100%. An attack heli off on the horizon can go completely unimpeded the whole match laying waste to armor, completely retarded. There should be nothing in this game that is virtually uncounterable.

Lol Wut?
Dropped alot of planes and chppers last night with the Stinger/IGLA AND the mobile AA last night.
You're doing it wrong.
Ping them till they flare, reaquire THEN fire.

Nick

So, 14 hours of play in now. I love and hate this game. Love it because of what it is, bar the occasional retarded design issue, but hate it because it has one of the most downright retarded playerbases I have ever come across. I think I saw more teamwork in BC2.

I have seen one recon put down a spawn beacon so far. I have been killed the second I spawn six times in a row, all on different points, before I fade in from the black screen. Teammates sitting right next to enemies firing madly and totally oblivious to each other. Just what.

I must confess. I just used a hack in BF3. I picked up a gun from a dead guy with this Infrared Scope. Before IR scope my KD was like 2-1, after I picked it up from dead body I killed 10 guys in a row till gun ammo was over and didn't even tried hard.

What a beautiful hacking device. I need to play more to unlock it for myself.

BTW, I updated ATI drivers to latest ones and BF3 is flying now on my old machine E6750, 3.2GHz, Radeon 5870

IRNV scopes are getting the nerf in the next patch.

Lol Wut?
Dropped alot of planes and chppers last night with the Stinger/IGLA AND the mobile AA last night.
You're doing it wrong.
Ping them till they flare, reaquire THEN fire.

Nick

You must have been playing with new or inexperienced pilots then. Jets have a different beep when missiles are close. Experienced pilot will not be tricked by simple pinging. What I do is wait for somebody to fire their missile, wait til the pilot uses flares, then fire mine. Works all the time.

I love the IRNV, but it does seem way overpowered and I have no problem with them nerfing it alongside the blinding flashlight in broad daylight.

I'm more upset about people just indiscriminately firing RPG's and getting easy infantry kills.

Guys/Gals, is anyone else still getting crashes of bf3.exe.....you know, the message something like failure to respond (or has stopped working), or whatever. Some time when you first start a new game, or sometimes during a game. I tried a few supposed fixes, and they did not work.......i'm getting frustrated.

I had this a few times yesterday. I think it has to do with the server also. Only happened after I picked a server and started to connect. It locks up and I go back to browser.

After I'm in the browser, I no longer see that server.

I think it has only locked up once while I was in a game.

If they ever decide to patch this game!

I've noticed a couple patches already. The changes they made to the server browser and server side software have gone through and most people don't even know...which is awesome. This is what I expected to see from battlelog that few people seemed to understand, what used to require a client patch is now done without interrupting the playerbase...unfortunately that also means people think they're being inactive.

We may not see a patch for gameplay mechanics until closer to RtK expansion as a lot of these changes that will be made are based off player feedback and giving the playerbase a few more weeks to speak up may help on deciding what's priority.

I got the "Disconnected from EA Online" error message a few times last night. I think it means I need to run a Repair Install for force it to patch? Did this happen to anyone else?

I've noticed a couple patches already. The changes they made to the server browser and server side software have gone through and most people don't even know...which is awesome. This is what I expected to see from battlelog that few people seemed to understand, what used to require a client patch is now done without interrupting the playerbase...unfortunately that also means people think they're being inactive.

We may not see a patch for gameplay mechanics until closer to RtK expansion as a lot of these changes that will be made are based off player feedback and giving the playerbase a few more weeks to speak up may help on deciding what's priority.

Yeah, they implemented a Server Queue temporarily, then took it out in another patch (unstable?).

I'd love to see them bring back Server Queueing and add more squads than there are people, so that it's easier to start a new squad with your friends on a full server.

I mainly play rush, and the SU25 and the A10 eat tanks alive. I was playing on a server (caspain border) And the russians had an excellent jet pilot. Our team could do nothing with the armor. One strafing run from the SU25 and your tank was blown right up. He'd do this right at the spawn point, so you didn't really have time to get orientated.

He'd somehow always manage to get our jet as it was running the run way, so even if we had the worlds best jet pilot, they wouldn't be able to do anything. Stingers couldnt' touch this guy, with the damn flares. (Stingers have to be the most useless weapon, EVER)

Even if the tank got a good bead on the guy as he was coming in for a straffing run, he'd blow up your tank before you had a chance to even disable his jet. (Perhaps the SU25 has more armor then the F18 and such..)

Mortars are completely retarded to. The game was awesome fun the first couple days because no one had unlocked them yet. Now all you see is people with 20-0 spawning mortars 24/7 from their spawn point in rush maps. I haven't played support yet, so I don't have the mortar, and really the counter argument to mortars is change your loadout, blow theirs up, then switch back to what you normally play? That sounds like a whole lot of fun..

I gotta admit, that i sounds a lot like my modus operandi. It might have been me you were flying against. I have become very adept at evading missiles and dashing away to use my fire extinguisher when the occasional missile does hit me. I do strafe the jets on the runway...and I do realize it is kind of a dick move. However, keeping my enemies out of the air (especially in rush) does benefit my team greatly. If I let them get up in the air they could take out the few vehicles covering the mcom's or flags.
That being said, that stationary AA gun that sits next to the runway is EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE at taking out any plane that does venture too close to the runway. They do balance that aspect really well. There are also mobile AA available...and their missiles may in fact be overpowered. Combine all that with the fact that anyone who has played 10 minutes with the engineer kit unlocks AA missiles, there really isn't any reason the other team can't deter a plane from flying in their base.

I'm more upset about people just indiscriminately firing RPG's and getting easy infantry kills.

That's been an issue since release. Still haven't done anything about RPG splash damage and I'm wondering if they ever will.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1038008178 said:
You can take out heli's with this thing, blow up walls, blow up hummers and other vehicles... It's AMAZING!

NO you can't blow up wall .... some ceramic tiles will fly and you will make a small hole, but now walls destruction. I have not try it on vehicles as I'm in metro servers for now, but definitively no blow up wall with this..... But you have to pay attention to not shoot the wall near you as you will commit suicide, lol

That's been an issue since release. Still haven't done anything about RPG splash damage and I'm wondering if they ever will.

Not sure they should. I do think they should limit RPG's and Mortars to a set amount and non-refillable though.

At least they put in a minimum arming distance this time around. I have no problem of RPG use against infantry except when it is someone using it as their primary weapon firing at point blank range rather than attempting to use an actual gun (e.g. Carl Gustav kills in Bad Company 2). RPG's do actually have a minimum arming distance IRL.

Considering IRL an RPG does put out a good sized fireball and pressure wave upon impact, I think DICE has got it pretty well balanced. If they had made the explosion more like an RPG, people would be able to take out the small shacks and buildings in one shot.

At least they put in a minimum arming distance this time around. I have no problem of RPG use against infantry except when it is someone using it as their primary weapon and able to fire at point blank range rather than attempting to use an actual gun (e.g. Carl Gustav kills in Bad Company 2). RPG's do actually have a minimum arming distance IRL.

Considering IRL an RPG does put out a good sized fireball and pressure wave upon impact, I think DICE has got it pretty well balanced. If they had made the explosion more like an RPG, people would be able to take out the small shacks and buildings in one shot.

That's true, I don't mind the occasional RPG usage against infantry as long as it isn't a crutch for some people like the Carl Gustav was.

Oh trust me, I have noticed this. The client needs patching though because I still get crashes a lot of times when i enter a server. Sometimes when i finally get in I am greeted by a black screen. This also doesn't take into account the balancing issues that need to be adjusted.

As neat as battlelog is, it is quite frustrating to server hop with it.

At least they put in a minimum arming distance this time around. I have no problem of RPG use against infantry except when it is someone using it as their primary weapon firing at point blank range rather than attempting to use an actual gun (e.g. Carl Gustav kills in Bad Company 2). RPG's do actually have a minimum arming distance IRL.

I would say that the RPG does fine for what it does -- in real life the arming mechanism is the incredibly rapid acceleration from the initial launch of the main rocket motor. Which of course means a minimum distance.

Fun facts -- RPG's in real life are nothing but a flying shape charge, upon impact a second explosion ignites and sends out a jet of molten copper? (I'm pretty sure it's copper) at super velocity, punching a hole in whatever armor you have. I've not noticed too much splash damage with these things.

Despite being a shape charge I do think if you fire a RPG into a dark cubby hole and it hits the wall 5 feet from you, in real life you are not going to be doing so great unless you are well protected.

DICE did good :)

That's true, I don't mind the occasional RPG usage against infantry as long as it isn't a crutch for some people like the Carl Gustav was.
It definitely brings an entirely new element to the gameplay. Sometimes an RPG used to blow a hole in the wall being used as cover by your enemy is enough to clear a path for your team to advance.

FINALLY got my SKS for the recon. Took me FOREVER because I played the sniper and just stood around sniping which doesn't always turn out good for points.

but didn't get much chance to play the SKS after getting it though.

I find myself eagerly awaiting the huge nerf the irnv better have coming. The "best" players on a server yesterday were all using irnv in broad daylight racking up kills, wow. They need to have night vision only work in semi-dark to dark conditions, put it on in sunlight and your screen flashes as bright as possible until you take them off.

Its too bad they don't model the rpg and smaw more realistically...you try firing one of those things in a confined area like a room, your going to die right along with everyone else in there...or modeling backblast radius...that would effectively stop smaw/rpg spamming if your constantly racking up TKs from people standing behind you in a 90 degree fan 180ft or closer.

I find myself eagerly awaiting the huge nerf the irnv better have coming. The "best" players on a server yesterday were all using irnv in broad daylight racking up kills, wow. They need to have night vision only work in semi-dark to dark conditions, put it on in sunlight and your screen flashes as bright as possible until you take them off.

Right now the IRNV looks more like a thermal scope then a nightvision scope. NV scope is entirely useless to use in daylight whereas a thermal scope works just fine at any time of day as long as its setup for proper ambient temps.

Its too bad they don't model the rpg and smaw more realistically...you try firing one of those things in a confined area like a room, your going to die right along with everyone else in there...or modeling backblast radius...that would effectively stop smaw/rpg spamming if your constantly racking up TKs from people standing behind you in a 90 degree fan 180ft or closer.

Especially since in the campaign your squad yells "clear your backblast!"

They did this in America's Army and it really cuts down on the RPG spam.

Fun facts -- RPG's in real life are nothing but a flying shape charge, upon impact a second explosion ignites and sends out a jet of molten copper? (I'm pretty sure it's copper) at super velocity, punching a hole in whatever armor you have. I've not noticed too much splash damage with these things.

True, but that is only for an AP round. You can also get HE rounds that are effective against infantry, but they are shit against tanks. The BF3 RPGs magically encompass both aspects of the RL rounds. And actually, an AP round has very little area damage, because like you said it's a very directed stream of copper meant to penetrate armor.

In previous BF games it seems like the rounds didn't do much splash damage at all. Why they changed it for BF3 is beyond me.

Right now the IRNV looks more like a thermal scope then a nightvision scope. NV scope is entirely useless to use in daylight whereas a thermal scope works just fine at any time of day as long as its setup for proper ambient temps.

I'm guessing that if you're in the desert and the ambient temp is like 100 degrees, it's going to be very difficult to see humans with body temp around that. Mainly IR works on differences in temperature IIRC.

True, but that is only for an AP round. You can also get HE rounds that are effective against infantry, but they are shit against tanks. The BF3 RPGs magically encompass both aspects of the RL rounds. And actually, an AP round has very little area damage, because like you said it's a very directed stream of copper meant to penetrate armor.

In previous BF games it seems like the rounds didn't do much splash damage at all. Why they changed it for BF3 is beyond me.

Well at least in BC2 (I know, I know, not "BF" :p) the splash radius was ridiculously large. I actually think it's just right in BF3; even in the small hallways in Damavand Peak, you need to get it nearly under someones feet to get a single shot kill.

I love this game, but I hate how clunky the UI is and how much you have to go out of your way to just change your loadout. There have been many times I've wanted to change it but not waste the time because I'm trying to help a teammate. There's no reason they couldn't have just put it to the side and just have a drop-down menu you could use or a button you could press to quickly change what you have like what BF2 did.

I also hate how my friend and I can never get in the same squad.

With partying in Battlelog, they need to just make the number of squads infinitely scalable; if there isn't a squad with enough slots to incorporate the Battlelog, it just creates a new one.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1038008178 said:
USAS-12 EXPLOSIVE ROUND EXTENDED CLIP = AMAZING GUN OF DESTRUCTION!!!!

Will post a vid later, not to mention the fireball rounds coming out are sooo sexy in subway of metro.

Better run as support though, go through ammo like crazy!

am i blind? i dont see explosive rounds on the upgrade path (shotgun noob)

Back