Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Anyone else have a problem with the Stationary AA on the ship on Canals? I swear with a good gunner that thing can cover over half the bases on that map.

How big were the maps in BF2? Were some bigger than Caspian and Firestorm?

Definitely bigger then caspian. Firestorm is pretty small to from what I remember. I guess closer to an average size. I usually played the 32 player maps though. The 64 player maps were huge. And none had less then 5 or 6 flags

I, for one, am glad the maps in BF3 are smaller. I remember wasting soooooo much time running/driving between flags in BF2. It was just too much. I think they got it right in BF3.

I, for one, am glad the maps in BF3 are smaller. I remember wasting soooooo much time running/driving between flags in BF2. It was just too much. I think they got it right in BF3.

I find the map size for BF3 to be about right as well. However I hope the BtK maps are bigger to have that BF2 feel.

This is somewhat dependent on how you look at it, and of course which maps.

One of the big differences is BF2 had more flag points that were more spread out. They were not necessarily bigger in terms of playing area or uncap to uncap.

Also one thing to remember with BF2 is that even with commander vehicle drops on infantry oriented maps, people still complained about the travel time from point to point. A large reason for BF3 flag points being closer together is probably to address that issue.

I find the map size for BF3 to be about right as well. However I hope the BtK maps are bigger to have that BF2 feel.

Well if we're to believe they're remaking them accurately, Wake Island and Gulf of Oman should certainly still have that huge feel. I can't wait to play Sharqi Peninsula again - one of my favs from BF2.

Am I missing something or does spotting not give you any points like it did in BC2?

Reading this thread and playing the game brings back so many memories (good and bad). One thing for sure though the smacktards are back.

Its 10 points a spot...

I'm spotting like a fool and I never get any points. Strange.

On another note, they really need to do something about helicopters in this game. WAY overpowered.

They can kill a tank and mobile AA in like 2-3 seconds from a range that the AA can't even hit. It's just silly. Not to mention anti-air missiles are completely worthless and are spoofed 100%.

An attack heli off on the horizon can go completely unimpeded the whole match laying waste to armor, completely retarded. There should be nothing in this game that is virtually uncounterable.

I'm spotting like a fool and I never get any points. Strange.

They have to be killed before the spot timer runs out, so maybe that's why. Also, it just flashes a quick "Spot Bonus 10" in the score feed.

Guys/Gals, is anyone else still getting crashes of bf3.exe.....you know, the message something like failure to respond (or has stopped working), or whatever. Some time when you first start a new game, or sometimes during a game. I tried a few supposed fixes, and they did not work.......i'm getting frustrated.

Guys/Gals, is anyone else still getting crashes of bf3.exe.....you know, the message something like failure to respond (or has stopped working), or whatever. Some time when you first start a new game, or sometimes during a game. I tried a few supposed fixes, and they did not work.......i'm getting frustrated.

lol, that is the epitome of my BF3 playing experience. I'd say around 70% of the time I launch a game I get BF3.exe has stopped responding. Usually takes me 4-5 tries to get the game to launch. DICE quality programming at it's finest.

lol, that is the epitome of my BF3 playing experience. I'd say around 70% of the time I launch a game I get BF3.exe has stopped responding. Usually takes me 4-5 tries to get the game to launch. DICE quality programming at it's finest.

I haven't had a crash yet. DICE quality programming at its finest. More like welcome to PC gaming, ymmv.

I haven't had a crash yet. DICE quality programming at its finest. More like welcome to PC gaming, ymmv.

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to it. Some people machines it works fine but there are plenty of us that have serious issues. Some variables that they didn't account for.

Bit enough that you can fly straight noticeably longer before you go out of bounds. Terrain was rather sparse tho and if vehicles were mandatory. I don't mind flanking in BF3 as much as i did in BF2.

Yeah, I try to hop into the gunner seat to cover the guy repairing if I can. By default it shoves you into the driver's seat, though, so sometimes it's a little disorienting.

Wish there was a way to get into the gunner seat, maybe if i point at the upper half of the turret? I don't want the tank, i just want the machinegun. You let me ride in it and i'll spam repair behind you :D

On another note, it seems like snipers are just a nuisance in this game. My favorite is rushing an objective out in the open or something and die in one hit (I only play HC), only to find out the sniper has like three kills the whole map. I mean seriously, how do you have fun sitting on a hill getting three kills in 10 minutes? I'd say 90% of sniper I see out there are on the bottom half of the scoreboard.

I use the recon a lot but i'm not a sniper. I'm usually the guy following the pointman and shooting at wherever he's not pointing at (No such thing as KS in a team game, but it's a waste of firepower), putting down beacons so they'll have some place nearby to spawn from, and covering routes. If he's about to enter an active area, i approach from a different angle to better cover him, and if it's too restricted, send in a drone to help him through obstacles. If there are too many, i actually shoot to make them look my way. The nice thing about BF3 is that these previously uncredited support functions are counted now :)

In previous games (not just battlefield), my clanmate is always the sniper, and i was the assaulter (Actually, we're both flankers, i just tend to get in closer). Having a dedicated sniper covering you makes a difference in a game. I mow down the front, and he takes care of the guys above and behind me, I can run across open terrain and not worry about getting sniped. I wouldn't be as aggressive if he wasn't with me. Unfortunately, he won't be able to get a decent rig for BF3 'til christmas, so i guess i'm the recon for now. Considering what the recon can do, he's gonna have a field day with this when he finally gets it.

Last edited:
Wish there was a way to get into the gunner seat, maybe if i point at the upper half of the turret? I don't want the tank, i just want the machinegun. You let me ride in it and i'll spam repair behind you :D

the functions keys (f1,f2, etc.) change which seat in the vehicle. f1 is the pilot/driver, f2 is the gunner/support gunner, the rest for other seats.

Here is another neat little "trick" that many people don't know. You exit the vehicle in the direction you are facing. So say if the tank you are in is getting hit from the front, and you want to exit to the rear to repair under cover, face the rear with your turret.

Here is another neat little "trick" that many people don't know. You exit the vehicle in the direction you are facing. So say if the tank you are in is getting hit from the front, and you want to exit to the rear to repair under cover, face the rear with your turret.

THANK YOU!

the functions keys (f1,f2, etc.) change which seat in the vehicle. f1 is the pilot/driver, f2 is the gunner/support gunner, the rest for other seats.

Good tip. Will be useful if I ever decide to use vehicles. :p

Wasn't it this wawy in Bad Company 2?
I forgot about Battlefield 2, but BF1942 used the number keys, since the F keys were for radio commands. I am not sure if the F keys for vehicles were introduced in BF2 or in bad company or not....

Again I have to say they need to rework the helicopter pilot reward system. Right now it doesn't give the pilot much points and therefore encourages them to attack themselves. Of course less experienced pilots already have trouble just staying alive, much less attacking (which is much more tricky in air vehicles, especially the chopper), which just results in :eek: as the gunner :p

Wasn't it this wawy in Bad Company 2?
I forgot about Battlefield 2, but BF1942 used the number keys, since the F keys were for radio commands. I am not sure if the F keys for vehicles were introduced in BF2 or in bad company or not....

Yes it was like this since BF2. Vehicle seat switching in this series got me to switch from numpad to WASD actually :p But someone was asking how to switch seats.

Wow all this time. Thanks limitedaccess :)

Well, I think I have finally figured out some decent jet tactics.

**Weapon Loadouts**
Rush Attacker: Rocket Pods w/ proximity scan. Rockets are absolutely essential for pelting the infantry going to disarm the mcoms. You will rarely hit them with your machine gun. Avoid the guided missles and heat seekers simply because the close air support against infantry with the rockets splash damage helps your team more. You rarely actually see the infantry you are shooting at, but strafing the area with rockets once the mcom is armed is very beneficial.

Rush Defender: Guided missiles w/ beam scanning or Rocket Pods w/ proximity scan. There is only one plane and maybe one chopper to fight off, so heat seekers aren't worth it. Guided missles are a pain in the ass. They are only helpful when there is a lot of open area, and even then they don't take out a tank completely unless it has taken damage already. I prefer rocket pods because you can slow your jet enough to shoot 14 rockets then switch to your main gun to completely blow up a tank on the first pass.

Conquest: Air Radar or Beam Scanning and Heat seekers. There are enough jets and choppers flying around to make heat seekers preferred.with beam scanning, the lock on time is so quick, over half the time the enemy can't react quick enough to pop flares or evade.

**Countermeasures**

Flares: pretty decent, but their recharge time is pretty long. Not good for when you are dealing with enemies with multiple missiles, especially the LAV-D or Tunguska.

Extinguisher: Fucking awesome. Instant repair to over 50% health and your jet can self-repair as you make a mad dash out of the area. If using this, you need to learn how to evade missiles by waiting till the right moment then banking or looping hard and slipping the plane by hitting airbrakes/lower throttle. With this combo I am evading 75% of missles, then getting hit by the others but surviving. Just tonight I evaded 5 missiles in a row: 2 heatseekers from a chopper, a few IGLA's, and whatever the Tunguska shot at me. I was able to evade all of them by doing hard loops and continuing to dash to the other end of the map with afterburners on.

ECM and Chaff: Useless or I haven't figured out how to use it right.

**Other Perks**
Stealth: Will buy you a few seconds to get out of area, but still useless against guns.

Belt Speed reloading: the jet's guns don't reload often, but they do overheat. As long as you fire in bursts you won't have to worry about either problem. This makes this perk useless for jets, but handy for attack choppers.

Maintenance: Not quick enough and speed increase in repair is hardly noticeable. If you are smart, you will loiter on the edge of the map when you are hit, leaving plenty of time to repair. This perk might save you 2 seconds at most.

Ha, I've been pretty surprised at how well I'm doing in BF3. In BC2 I would be lucky to keep up a 1.0 K/D, but so far I average about 450 score per minute and average 1.6 K/D. Not to stroke my e-peen or anything, just that the game seems fundamentally different to me than BC2. Not using IRNV either; just capped out as assault yesterday using mainly the M416 and now the M16A4, ACOG, foregrip, silencer. Always the silencer. :)

Opposite for me, I'm struggling a little with BF3. My accuracy is only 22% in comparison to BC2 accuracy of 27%. The mouse doesn't seem to move as smoothly somehow and the hitboxes seem slightly off, can't quite place my finger on it. Conversely my KDR in BF3 is 1.6 and yet my KDR in BC2 was 2.05.

I have over 1000 kills with M416 and yet no platinum and I'm still getting awards for every 100 kills. Is there a limit to awards given for each weapon?

Opposite for me, I'm struggling a little with BF3. My accuracy is only 22% in comparison to BC2 accuracy of 27%. The mouse doesn't seem to move as smoothly somehow and the hitboxes seem slightly off, can't quite place my finger on it. Conversely my KDR in BF3 is 1.6 and yet my KDR in BC2 was 2.05.

I dont trust the accuracy rating on the stats page as I think it calculates ALL the guns instead of just what you used. It shows me having a 14% or so accuracy but when I check my gun stats individually, they're all about 40-75% accuracy...so I don't know where its getting drug down other than possibly 0% on guns I've fired 0 rounds with.

There ARE dog tags awarded for getting 100 stars with tanks or airplanes, might be similar. Guess you'll find out when you hit 10,000 kills with the 416 :)

I mainly play rush, and the SU25 and the A10 eat tanks alive. I was playing on a server (caspain border) And the russians had an excellent jet pilot. Our team could do nothing with the armor. One strafing run from the SU25 and your tank was blown right up. He'd do this right at the spawn point, so you didn't really have time to get orientated.

He'd somehow always manage to get our jet as it was running the run way, so even if we had the worlds best jet pilot, they wouldn't be able to do anything. Stingers couldnt' touch this guy, with the damn flares. (Stingers have to be the most useless weapon, EVER)

Even if the tank got a good bead on the guy as he was coming in for a straffing run, he'd blow up your tank before you had a chance to even disable his jet. (Perhaps the SU25 has more armor then the F18 and such..)

Mortars are completely retarded to. The game was awesome fun the first couple days because no one had unlocked them yet. Now all you see is people with 20-0 spawning mortars 24/7 from their spawn point in rush maps. I haven't played support yet, so I don't have the mortar, and really the counter argument to mortars is change your loadout, blow theirs up, then switch back to what you normally play? That sounds like a whole lot of fun..

Back