Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

So what's up with the M1014?

I've racked 90+ kills with it to unlock the slugs because I was of the (bold) assumption that pump-action shotguns all had the same damage/spread/range stats as in BC2. I'm disappointed with the slug performance (sometimes takes 3 or 4 shots at distance to kill) and I'm hearing that the 870 MCS is better all-around.

I have no difficulty believing that the M1014 sucks compared to the 870 MCS based on how much of a PITA the M1014 was to level. Took multiple body shots at melee range very frequently to kill; hell I ended up having to resort to the tactical light to rack up the last 30-40 kills.

How many shots does the 870 hold with extended mags? The M1014 only has 7, which is BS.

Not sure where this originally came from, so I'm not sure who to give credit to. I think the About section says which clan produced it.

This google doc has a good comparison of weapon damage at different distances, Time To Kill, etc.

The order of some of the weapon unlocks make no sense. M60 for support does similar damage(or less if the doc is correct) and shoots slower than an M240b, so why would I care to unlock the M60 when I can just use the M240b.

;)

Yea, BF2 had one thing that standed out, 6 man squads and a varity to their classes.
had way more fun with running a squad there.
4 is limited to its feel.

+1. I wish it was 6 man squads in this one. Had 6 guys all playing together last night. It was hard enough just to all get one one team.

So what's up with the M1014?

How many shots does the 870 hold with extended mags? The M1014 only has 7, which is BS.
Speaking of shotguns, how good is the saiga? I've been holding off on using shotguns much as the saiga was my favorite in BC2 and I was planning on using it again once I leveled up enough.

The order of some of the weapon unlocks make no sense. M60 for support does similar damage(or less if the doc is correct) and shoots slower than an M240b, so why would I care to unlock the M60 when I can just use the M240b.

Guns aren't really better than each other. They're just different flavors. Only guns I feel are really weak are the AK-74m, AKS-74u, and MP7(SKS looks weak on paper but I don't recon). Even then, they're still serviceable.

TTK is so low, it doesn't really matter.

Guns aren't really better than each other. They're just different flavors. Only guns I feel are really weak are the AK-74m, AKS-74u, and MP7(SKS looks weak on paper but I don't recon). Even then, they're still serviceable.

I suppose, but I don't see why someone would choose a slower gun with similar damage unless they have a Vietnam fantasy they want to live out. I haven't used the M60 yet though so maybe it has less recoil which makes it different, but with a bipod that shouldn't matter much.

But like you said, a few shots with either will kill so maybe I'm over analyzing.

I suppose, but I don't see why someone would choose a slower gun with similar damage unless they have a Vietnam fantasy they want to live out. I haven't used the M60 yet though so maybe it has less recoil which makes it different, but with a bipod that shouldn't matter much.

But like you said, a few shots with either will kill so maybe I'm over analyzing.

There may be other factors like initial burst accuracy, kick, and spread. I think the chart in BC2 had all of these... not sure if the info's out for BF3

Agreed. I wouldn't take the unlock order too seriously. I would say most of the guns are balanced enough that it comes down to personal preference and style, though I will admit I haven't used many of the guns yet.

This game is becoming more and more annoying as time passes. Im pissed off that the sniper rifle is so nerfed.

the recon kit does not get claymores or c4 and the guns have sway.

the SV98 came alive for me when i unlocked the Rifle Scope (8x). i much prefer the mil-dot reticle.

SOFLAM lights up like the fucking sun and can be seen from across the map. WORTHLESS.

i played a few rounds last night using the SOFLAM on a server with lots of engineers and it was damn good fun. i'd place the SOFLAM on top of a building so there's no wall behind it which makes it difficult for tanks to take it out. i just kept painting targets and they'd get destroyed within seconds. it's most useful against enemy aircraft, particularly choppers. they couldn't keep a vehicle in the air for very long and we won the rounds pretty easily. it was also fun painting a tank and having a friendly jet swoop down, lock on, and destroy it. anyway that's a long-winded account of my fun time with the SOFLAM. i racked up a lot of points with it.

Last edited:
For those who like shotguns, you'll shit when you get the USAS

it doesn't quite have the punch of the pump but it spits out so many shots that it's comical... and once you get frag rounds and extended mags it's positively retarded. 10(+1) rounds of fucking explosions that do splash damage. the splash is strong enough to kill in a couple hits or a solid body shot.

it doesn't quite have the punch of the pump but it spits out so many shots that it's comical... and once you get frag rounds and extended mags it's positively retarded. 10(+1) rounds of fucking explosions that do splash damage. the splash is strong enough to kill in a couple hits or a solid body shot.

Sounds almost like that crazy auto shotgun Terry Crews was using in The Expendables. ;)

Do they have a patch notes page somewhere? I downloaded a new patch yesterday and am waiting to find out when eyefinity/surround gets fixed.

Yeah I mentioned earlier that on Operation Metro this is just comical.

And in other news, Vega, apparently doesn't hate BF3 despite all the complaints and posts about getting MW3.

Definitely interested in Skyrim as the video on the news about it was pretty sweet looking. Although I haven't even finished Witcher 2 as I've been addicted to BF3 lol.

God are they even considering neutering the AA vehicles. They rob the fun out of flying a chopper. They took away the TV guided missile and made the AA's so powerful that all the choppers can do is fly behind rocks and cover .

God are they even considering neutering the AA vehicles. They rob the fun out of flying a chopper. They took away the TV guided missile and made the AA's so powerful that all the choppers can do is fly behind rocks and cover .

TV missle is still in the game it's just fucked up right now. Also you can sneak up on AAA with the attack chopper and kill it in literally less than 2 seconds. The only problem I have with the AAA is it's incredibly short respawn time. You spend more time hunting AAA than tanks and infantry.

Also the stationary AAA needs to be destructible or it needs to be nerfed hard somehow.

870 Invr / laser / extended mag seems to be what the cool kids use. Invr to scope out hiding targets makes run & gun pretty easy.

yeah piloting choppers is a death sentence for average pilots like myself. when it comes to attack helicopters i'm usually stuck between two options:
(1) hug the ground which helps avoid AA and gives your gunner some decent opportunities
(2) fly at high altitude which helps against AA but makes your gunner worth fuck all

the problem is option 1 is fun from a pilot's perspective but makes you susceptible to RPG's and whatnot, and option 2 is boring as shit.

ah thanks for the heads-up. driver notes regarding BF3:

New in Version 285.79

Includes several bug fixes and performance improvements for Battlefield 3.
- Fixes cases of irregular performance (stuttering) primarily seen on DirectX 10 GPUs. The fix improves the performance of both DX10 and DX11 GPUs.
- Fixes shadow map corruption seen with DirectX 10 GPUs.
- Fixes cases of black corruption lines/triangles with DirectX 10 GPUs.

Speaking of shotguns, how good is the saiga? I've been holding off on using shotguns much as the saiga was my favorite in BC2 and I was planning on using it again once I leveled up enough.

using the usaf12 atm, racking kills on every map.
its hillbilly fun ;)

What rank are you in the game?

I haven't played in days and from the looks of it (emerging hackers and lack of teamwork) I'm not missing anything.
The game is good, the best modern shooter on the market, but to me it's not a must play went I arrive home. I'll reserve final judgement on BF3 until BtK.
I'm already thinking about condensing my gaming PC, so I will restrict myself to not upgrade again. This is as good it will get technology wise on the PC for a while.

I'm only just shy of rank 11, but it's fun as hell (I suck most matches to be honest, I've played a lot of hours but not getting much rank). I've yet to see an obvious hacker, and really, that's partially server administration to ban them as they appear, and partially DICE to patch them away. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue yet and I've played 2-3 hours every day basically since it came out.

Rank 25 or 26, I forget, with just over 20 hours of gameplay right now. While I don't dispute there are hackers, griefers (AA tipping choppers) out there, I have yet to experience any myself. Just remember, forums are where people go to bitch and are not representative of the overall gameplay experience - it's a very biased sample. ;)

Rank 25 or 26, I forget, with just over 20 hours of gameplay right now. While I don't dispute there are hackers, griefers (AA tipping choppers) out there, I have yet to experience any myself. Just remember, forums are where people go to bitch and are not representative of the overall gameplay experience - it's a very biased sample. ;)

I must really, really suck... I've probably sunk in 40-50+ hours and am only about to hit 11 :p.

I must really, really suck... I've probably sunk in 40-50+ hours and am only about to hit 11 :p.

Ha, I've been pretty surprised at how well I'm doing in BF3. In BC2 I would be lucky to keep up a 1.0 K/D, but so far I average about 450 score per minute and average 1.6 K/D. Not to stroke my e-peen or anything, just that the game seems fundamentally different to me than BC2. Not using IRNV either; just capped out as assault yesterday using mainly the M416 and now the M16A4, ACOG, foregrip, silencer. Always the silencer. :)

Wow, ill go ahead and say that yes, you lack a whole lotta skill lol. I'm around 45 hours or so and hit rank 35 last night (maybe even 36)

Ill once again second that AA needs some nerfing or air need buffing. I've found that stationary AA IS destructable but requires about 6-8 packs of C4...which is impossible to deliver to the enemy AA and trying to land that much damage with guns is impossible unless nobody is using it. Mobile AA, while comparitvely soft, can take more then a single guided missile and strafing run and unless the driver is a complete moron, chances are pretty high your not gonna get a second/third run on it.

Wow, ill go ahead and say that yes, you lack a whole lotta skill lol. I'm around 45 hours or so and hit rank 35 last night (maybe even 36)

Ill once again second that AA needs some nerfing or air need buffing. I've found that stationary AA IS destructable but requires about 6-8 packs of C4...which is impossible to deliver to the enemy AA and trying to land that much damage with guns is impossible unless nobody is using it. Mobile AA, while comparitvely soft, can take more then a single guided missile and strafing run and unless the driver is a complete moron, chances are pretty high your not gonna get a second/third run on it.

Hm, apparrently I've only logged 13.5 hours in :eek: according to the battlelog! Dunno if that includes times I crashed while playing with my OC but... much less than I thought! I keep going into jets which I suck at... infantry I do well with.

Hm, apparrently I've only logged 13.5 hours in :eek: according to the battlelog! Dunno if that includes times I crashed while playing with my OC but... much less than I thought!

LOL! Those must be some painful games if it felt like 40 hours instead! ;)

There are still many unexperienced players in the game. Just joined 64 ppl rush map and attacking team already had lost half of the tickets and none of MCOMs were destroyed.

The problem for me was that I was eating pizza at the same time when I joined the game. After brief situation evaluation half of my rush attacking team was sniping (meh) and half was trying to attack MCOMs from the left side (good).

So, I decided to go lone wolf from right side white eating pizza at the same time. I manage to stealthy get to MCOM (with pauses in the bushes to eat some more pizza). Then I armed MCOM and hid near it so that gun aim was pointing to MCOM staton. then I continued to eat pizza with left arm and killed a ckouple of defenders with mouse in the right arm. So, I managed to arm and destroy one MCOM while being busy with pizza. Too many newbies there :)

to be honest we lost that game, but still :)

On a car forum i visit, guys are giving me hell for my .5 w/l ratio.. that really doesnt mean anything to me.. Im out to enjoy the gameplay and not really worried about stats. And besides, sometimes the team may not work very well.

Sounds like either:

1) You REALLY suck :(

2) You camp a lot and don't help the team capture points, etc.

3) You are grossly misjudging your actual playtime

I am at 12.5 hours playtime and Rank 16 (3/4 the way to 17) I'm not the best player ever but I do often get MVP for amount of points in a round, whether we win or lose. My K/D is like 1.2, which is fine. I mostly run around putting out fires and supporting the team.

Sounds like either:

1) You REALLY suck :(

2) You camp a lot and don't help the team capture points, etc.

3) You are grossly misjudging your actual playtime

I am at 12.5 hours playtime and Rank 16 (3/4 the way to 17) I'm not the best player ever but I do often get MVP for amount of points in a round, whether we win or lose. My K/D is like 1.2, which is fine. I mostly run around putting out fires and supporting the team.

1 and 3... I just suck.... I checked my actual playtime on battlelog and it's 13.5 hours :p. I'm about to ding rank 11. :( I rarely sit around at all, either!

The base AA is a deterrent to attacking the deployments. No BF2 style uncap raping.

An attack helicopter with guided rockets or tv missile favorably engages mobile AA.

A jet should not be able to favorably engage AA 1 on 1, or the AA would no longer be able to serve its role. Good pilots at the moment with jets can disable AAs without being shot down themselves in 1 pass. If working in teams, both can 1 pass an AA if done in conjunction.

Guided weapons also need to be used in conjunction with laser designators. They are weaker than unguided comparable weapons otherwise.

TV missiles are in the game. Also guided rockets can counter AAs.

The AA is also supposed to be an air deterrent for an area.

Right now average pilots of either jets or helicopters cannot do above average (either KDR or score wise), to me this is fair, as it is inline with other roles. As opposed to in BF2 where even average pilots would lead the score charts.

The jet could use an increase in ground splash damage (either for the main gun and/or rocket pods).

There are still many unexperienced players in the game. Just joined 64 ppl rush map and attacking team already had lost half of the tickets and none of MCOMs were destroyed.

The problem for me was that I was eating pizza at the same time when I joined the game. After brief situation evaluation half of my rush attacking team was sniping (meh) and half was trying to attack MCOMs from the left side (good).

So, I decided to go lone wolf from right side white eating pizza at the same time. I manage to stealthy get to MCOM (with pauses in the bushes to eat some more pizza). Then I armed MCOM and hid near it so that gun aim was pointing to MCOM staton. then I continued to eat pizza with left arm and killed a ckouple of defenders with mouse in the right arm. So, I managed to arm and destroy one MCOM while being busy with pizza. Too many newbies there :)

to be honest we lost that game, but still :)

And did you finish the pizza?

Back