Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

You realize you CAN join a squad right? It's just DERP.

Steps:
Click leave squad - wait until it actually show's you've left it
Click on squad you want to join
At the bottom, the very bottom, barely visible is a Join button, click it.
That's it!

No man, I was told that in-game, too. However, I know what that button looks like and it was NOT there. Something was clearly just fucked up.

it is because the game has no depth and get stale because the lack of skill involved when you have all these gadgets that just make you better without actually being better.

It is run-n-gun and that get boring fast

I can pretty much only stand to play about 2 rounds a day because the game just lacks something, it doesn't feel or play anywhere near the same as the older BF games. it is on par with BC2 and games like COD are what lead FPS games to the cluster fuck fest they are.

I feel the same way. I haven't played more than one round in two days and I'm not planning to play the rest of the week.
Too many gadgets and unlocks. I became invincible in the tank after I unlocked everything, or if I run into a helo that unlocked everything my tank is a sitting duck.
The unlocks outweigh skill i.e. IRNV, and BF3 should be Conquest focused but it's not. I didn't buy this game to play Rush.

I think the game is too focused on rewarding people with unlocks and ranks, rather than forcing people to practice teamwork.
I rather see class based tasks be rewarded more than kills. A kill in BC2 was 50pts and a squad revive was 80pts. A squad repair in BC2 was 30pts., in BF3 it's only 20pts.

BC2 - Kill points didn't outweigh team points.
http://opengamersunited.net/b-bc2-point-system

Does it actually degrade like in the description says?

Also does it only protect in the areas depicted visually?

Yes and Yes. I don't know how it looks on other vehicles, but it's VERY obvious in the American mobile AA; It looks like someone welded a bunch of fencing on the outside of the vehicle. Not exactly what reactive armor actually is, but I'm not going to nit-pick that much. When you get hit with an RPG specifically on one of the "panels" of the fencing it blows off and you take zero damage or next to it. The only way to get the armor (the reactive portion of it) refreshed is to get a new vehicle, repairs as an engineer won't do it.

No man, I was told that in-game, too. However, I know what that button looks like and it was NOT there. Something was clearly just fucked up.

I thought the same thing until I found the button. It's at the very bottom of the screen, it's not very visible, but it is most definitely there.

I thought the same thing until I found the button. It's at the very bottom of the screen, it's not very visible, but it is most definitely there.

I am fairly certain it was not. However that still doesn't explain the other issues like claiming the squad was full with 3 people on a team.

Is there anyway we can use our old gun once we've upgraded? I think it's dumb you can only use your new gun.

Is there anyway we can use our old gun once we've upgraded? I think it's dumb you can only use your new gun.

What?? You can use any gun that youve unlocked at any time with any unlocked "upgrades" for that weapon. Just goto customize and then click loadout.

What?? You can use any gun that youve unlocked at any time with any unlocked "upgrades" for that weapon. Just goto customize and then click loadout.

ROFL. Yeah, it's all about customization. You can use anything you've unlocked in the past.

I feel the same way. I haven't played more than one round in two days and I'm not planning to play the rest of the week.
Too many gadgets and unlocks. I became invincible in the tank after I unlocked everything, or if I run into a helo that unlocked everything my tank is a sitting duck.
The unlocks outweigh skill i.e. IRNV, and BF3 should be Conquest focused but it's not. I didn't buy this game to play Rush.

I think the game is too focused on rewarding people with unlocks and ranks, rather than forcing people to practice teamwork.
I rather see class based tasks be rewarded more than kills. A kill in BC2 was 50pts and a squad revive was 80pts. A squad repair in BC2 was 30pts., in BF3 it's only 20pts.

Team points were never very high in the other games either but at least the unlocks only changed the way you used the kit and didn't make you any better than everyone else. BF3, there just isn't any balance to it at all where as the others, especially 2142, had pretty tight balance.

I have noticed that just about all the people who I think "there is no way they are that good" are using the M249.

Edit: Dice better ban everyone of those cheaters, to be honest, anyone over level 30-35 is probably not legit, anyone wither a better then 7-10/1 K/D is probably not legit and both groups should be banned.

I'm ranked in the mid-30s with about 38 hours at a 1.7-2:1 KDR and I definately don't cheat...

I've still not grown tired of the game...I started off as a jet whore and unlocked everything on that first and have been moving between support and engineer and flying here lately...lots of good fun imo....cept for AA being WAY overpowered...

Check me on battlelog, name is USMCGrunt0307.

So...just spent some time with thermal optics on the tank and it pretty much totally negates AT mines. Also helps with picking off engies, the canister round seem neat but what I really want to unlock is the lasering station. Seems like it might be helpful. Curious if it works with the guided shells, which would cut down lock on time.

People hate to hear it but Invr as a whole needs to be nerfed, there is basically zero realistic downside to using it. Even shotgunners are running around with those scopes, it's turned into a zero thought sighting mechanism that bypasses all cover and smoke.

People hate to hear it but Invr as a whole needs to be nerfed, there is basically zero realistic downside to using it. Even shotgunners are running around with those scopes, it's turned into a zero thought sighting mechanism that bypasses all cover and smoke.

Well, if there was no advantage to using it, why would you?
By the time you get it for whatever weapon you have it on, you have to rack up 100 kills with that weapon.
WAAAAAA, those other guys don't fight fair!
Only (dead) chumps don't use any advantage available to win.

Nick

People hate to hear it but Invr as a whole needs to be nerfed

Actually I think based on previous posts, most people here would agree with that.

Well, if there was no advantage to using it, why would you?
By the time you get it for whatever weapon you have it on, you have to rack up 100 kills with that weapon.
WAAAAAA, those other guys don't fight fair!
Only (dead) chumps don't use any advantage available to win.

Nick

*awaits the barrage of whining when they inevitably do nerf IRNV*

I am fairly certain it was not. However that still doesn't explain the other issues like claiming the squad was full with 3 people on a team.

It was probably a private squad. If you don't see the join button for a squad that's because the squad leader made it private. Sometimes you also have to spawn before joining/leaving a squad multiple times.

wtf, double post?

Actually I think based on previous posts, most people here would agree with that.

*awaits the barrage of whining when they inevitably do nerf IRNV*

If they do, then I will find another way to shoot people in the face.
The whiners don't seem to get the point that the guy that just waxed them while having the IRNV equipped, likely would have waxed them even without it-it's not a reward given for sucking.

Nick

The whiners don't seem to get the point that the guy that just waxed them while having the IRNV equipped, likely would have waxed them even without it-it's not a reward given for sucking.

Nick

Nice name. :D

Man, talking to co-workers makes me wonder where all the PC gamers went. I'm in the damn comm squadron and I work in the Net Ops shop in the AF, there should be plenty of fellow nerds. But all my coworkers are "PS3 this" or "XBOX that."

:foreveralone:

Nick

Untrue...it's a reward given pretty much regardless of sucking, but it's just a matter of time. The only way you would never get it is if you never killed anyone, ever, and even if you suck that's frankly just not going to happen.

I'm ranked in the mid-30s with about 38 hours at a 1.7-2:1 KDR and I definately don't cheat...

I've still not grown tired of the game...I started off as a jet whore and unlocked everything on that first and have been moving between support and engineer and flying here lately...lots of good fun imo....cept for AA being WAY overpowered...

Check me on battlelog, name is USMCGrunt0307.

I play like crazy. I fully unlocked engineer and just finished off MBT last night. I think I'm going to do the attack helicopter next as the gunner. IMO that's the most powerful vehicle in the game. It's just so hard to fly, which I guess is part of the balancing.

[Paragon];1037989248 said:
So...just spent some time with thermal optics on the tank and it pretty much totally negates AT mines. Also helps with picking off engies, the canister round seem neat but what I really want to unlock is the lasering station. Seems like it might be helpful. Curious if it works with the guided shells, which would cut down lock on time.

CITV for locking missiles is pretty worthless unless you have good team communications, otherwise it's just a free way to jump over and use the NV to spot mines/enemies

I play like crazy. I fully unlocked engineer and just finished off MBT last night. I think I'm going to do the attack helicopter next as the gunner. IMO that's the most powerful vehicle in the game. It's just so hard to fly, which I guess is part of the balancing.

I actually find flying the helicopters really easy in this game. I guess I'm used to ArmA 2 where there's an actual flight model, but still...keyboard and mouse work just fine for helicopters in BF3.

If anyone has an extra Dr. Pepper code for a "Bye, Bye Kitty" Dog tag, please PM me.

I don't drink very much soda so the chances of my buying a Dr. Pepper, let alone finding this Dog tag are very slim.

Man, whoever 'ThatZedWord' is, I am really loving to hate them right now. They are a damn good pilot, able to monitor aerial threats and take out ground targets with ease.

The player's never been on my team; if so I would find it awe-inspiring. Instead it disgusts me and makes me rage. ;)

It's hard to get any good live-fire experience in aircraft when someone like that is flying on the opposing team.

I 1000000000000% agree, I've gotten somewhat bored with the game. I put almost 400 hours into bf2 and I didn't get bored at all with it. This game is missing a few key elements that BF2 had. One thing I noticed is, in BF2 you could sit in a spot and snipe all day long if that's what you felt like doing, in BF3(BFBC3) you cannot do that as a mortar will be flung your way within a few seconds. It just seems you 'have' to play the game in a run-n-gun style rather than your own.

I don't like the game either but what you are saying just isn't true. Go hill snipe on kharg island.

I don't like the game either

how bored do you have to be to continue playing a game you don't like? will you abandon BF3 altogether when MW3 is released tomorrow? that's not a dig on MW3...i'm a fan of the series.

I've found having a social life improves my gaming life; grinding out 40+ hours in the first few weeks of release, I would probably feel burned out as well.

The squad leader has an option to lock the squad. In that case a squad may show as 2/4 but you can't join it and the join button won't show up.

Joining a 64 server and seeing 3 to 4 squad being locked with only 2 people in them is very annoying...

If you are bored, try joining a team/clan or community and play as a team. Much more interesting. Sometimes more frustrating but hey! It's all about WINNING! Nobody likes losing. Especially a match that you spent a week preparing for and still get beat bc one of your teamates pc blows up mid match.

I think the game would benefit from a way to indicate whether or not your teammates (or at least squadmates) have laser designators or guided weapons, similar to group specializations.

Game needs spawn protection of some kind at the very least. Spawn killing happens like crazy in this thing even when people are trying to be careful and NOT do it.

BF2 did not have spawn protection. BC2 did have spawn protection, but you had people complaining about it, specially with squad members spawning in :p

I think there needs to be better spawning logic overall. I've spawned 2 inches in front of an enemy and vice versa... just makes no sense. This is of course not when spawning on a squad mate.

This issue creeps up due to the map design of BF3. For instance in BC2, maps were linear and limited to 3 points. Generally spawns were offset on the points depending on the team. This design is used in BF3 as well, which works on the linear maps with less points. For instance you take Metro Conquest, the spawn area for point B is different depending on the team (offset closer to each team's deployment), and you generally don't have that issue spawning on point B, even though the fighting is always there.

Yes and Yes. I don't know how it looks on other vehicles, but it's VERY obvious in the American mobile AA; It looks like someone welded a bunch of fencing on the outside of the vehicle. Not exactly what reactive armor actually is, but I'm not going to nit-pick that much. When you get hit with an RPG specifically on one of the "panels" of the fencing it blows off and you take zero damage or next to it. The only way to get the armor (the reactive portion of it) refreshed is to get a new vehicle, repairs as an engineer won't do it.

The reaction armor designs on the tanks for instance are very small by comparison to the AA. If it literally has to hit those exact spots, than I'm going to have to question the usefulness on the tanks, which is why I might not be having much success with it.

To give an idea, the reactive armor only covers the middle 2/3 of the rear. A small strip 1/2 length of the tanks on the side, slightly above the tracks. There is probably something on the front, that I can't see clearly. Nothing covering the turrets or tracks. Whereas I know for the AA it like a giant fence around it :p

By the way you can reset armor by hopping out and back in from my experience, at least visually.

[Paragon];1037989248 said:

The CITV unlock basically allows you to use a 3rd spot on the tank and permanent upgrade (you always have it). But only the person who has it unlocked and use it (eg you have it and are the driver, someone who doesn't have it can't enter it).

It has 2 functions. A zoomed thermal optic view. And it also acts as a laser designator, similar in function to the SOFLAM or Laser Painter. So it works with all guided weapons like those, including guided shells.

I'm still testing whether or not you can use it with your own guided shells by switching positions. But I've run into unwilling test subjects :p

The jet is harder to use by itself in my opinion. Same with the scout helicopter. The attack chopper is harder in the sense that it requires 2 people functioning properly and with each other to use it effectively.

Or you can just use it as a parked turret quite well on Kharg Island :p

Anyone else noticing any issues with Battlelog? The server browser now seems to give me MAYBE 10 servers with a ping under 100, the rest are ridiculously high. I'm not downloading and I used to see dozens of sub-100 servers.

Anyone else noticing any issues with Battlelog? The server browser now seems to give me MAYBE 10 servers with a ping under 100, the rest are ridiculously high. I'm not downloading and I used to see dozens of sub-100 servers.

works fine for me

I've found having a social life improves my gaming life; grinding out 40+ hours in the first few weeks of release, I would probably feel burned out as well.

I work 5 and sometimes 6 days a week, have gone out Thurs, Fri, and Saturday nights for the past 2 weeks of BF3's release, and also have exactly 40 hours of playing time. Still find the game getting incredibly stale at this point. Broad (though indirect) indictments of people's lack of socialness don't mean much when the game lacks depth

I work 5 and sometimes 6 days a week, have gone out Thurs, Fri, and Saturday nights for the past 2 weeks of BF3's release, and also have exactly 40 hours of playing time. Still find the game getting incredibly stale at this point. Broad (though indirect) indictments of people's lack of socialness don't mean much when the game lacks depth

Ok, forget the socialness part, but grinding anything for 40 hours in that short of a period of time would seem to cause anything but the most amazingly meaningful games to become stale, quickly. Particularly as each gamer gets older and has done similar things before, incrementally better games just aren't going to be able to hold your attention as much, through no fault of the game.

Back