Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Ever since BF3 has been released, I get "BF3 has stopped working" error at least once in every single day. This I found out using the Windows 7 reliability history. I hope they can fix this.

Ever since BF3 has been released, I get "BF3 has stopped working" error at least once in every single day. This I found out using the Windows 7 reliability history. I hope they can fix this.
Yep, happens just about every other time I join a game. Then after a round ends for whatever reason they deemed it necessary to stare at the stats for 45 seconds before it loads the next map.

After turning off HT, game runs much better. What about other options such as Turbo Boost and Speed stepping?

I always have speed stepping turned off for my gaming machines. I don't like it when the CPU speeds fluctuates. This is great for your average work/home PC but not for gaming IMO.

So what are some good tips from folks to try and get better in this game because I'm getting pretty discouraged. I know some of you have been playing since the alpha so I'm seeing guys in the mid to high 20s already and frankly speaking I just know I'm screwed against the likes of that. It's been showing.

I think I'm going to fire up some BC2 and get my morale back up a little bit.

So what are some good tips from folks to try and get better in this game because I'm getting pretty discouraged. I know some of you have been playing since the alpha so I'm seeing guys in the mid to high 20s already and frankly speaking I just know I'm screwed against the likes of that. It's been showing.

Well you need to have quick reaction time, and predict what the enemy will do before they do it.
Many people are campers while I'm a predator. If you move around a lot, you'll find yourself in more firefights.
Don't lie in prone and wait for people to pass by or peek out of windows in buildings. Always be in attack mode.

It all comes down to mindset for me. If you play defensive you will always be on your heels, trying to avoiding death.
Be on the offensive and bring death to them.

Also make sure your mouse sensitivity isn't high. 1600-1800dpi is usually enough. I see people with higher dpi's but normally you want to stay in this range for accuracy.
If you see an enemy and have to just your aim before you shoot, your mouse sensitivity and dpi is too high. When you bring up your weapon, it should be aligned with the target every time.

shhhh, I just started using it 2 days ago on my m249.:p
I stay away from anything that will make the game easier to play. It's not cheating but it's not skill either.

Last edited:
Well you need to have quick reaction time, and predict what the enemy will do before they do it.
Many people are campers while I'm a predator. If you move around a lot, you'll find yourself in more firefights.

Yup, you got me a few times last night. You were workin' it. ;)

Don't lie in prone and wait for people to pass by or peek out of windows in buildings. Always be in attack mode.

Even if you're Recon as a sniper? Doesn't matter?

It all comes down to mindset for me. If you play defensive you will always be on your heels, trying to avoiding death.
Be on the offensive and bring death to them.

LOL, ok I'll make a more deliberate shift in attitude.

Also make sure your mouse sensitivity isn't high. 1600-1800dpi is usually enough. I see people with higher dpi's but normally you want to stay in this range for accuracy.
If you see an enemy and have to just your aim before you shoot, your mouse sensitivity and dpi is too high. When you bring up your weapon, it should be aligned with the target every time.

I'm using a Logitech G9 and my DPI might actually be set too high at that rate. I'll have to fiddle with it.

I stay away from anything that will make the game easier to play. It's not cheating but it's not skill either.

Right.

I can't remember exactly so I hope no one takes this as an accusation but I think some servers are running with Punkbuster off, at least temporarily, until some glitches get ironed out. Does that include the [H] servers?

I know there were a couple of times last night while I played where I had some instances where I really was amazed that I was either found amazingly quick by someone (could have been skill and anticipation) but then there was a situation where I was prone behind a concrete structure and a guy shot me from the other side of it and killed me. That means he shot me through two in game concrete walls.

So if PB is off in the H servers...just might want to take it as a heads up if nothing else.

imho, recon is broken compared to other classes.

Very under-powered.

imho, recon is broken compared to other classes.

Very under-powered.

Totally agreed. They have some nifty gadgets but nothing that amounts to much in terms of swaying a game. Sniping is a huge challenge, especially since you don't get any powerful one shot-one kill rifles for a loooooong time (the SV98 is just like in BC2, takes 2 body shots to take someone out which means it's essentially useless unless someone is standing still or you get a lucky shot, or you hit someone who's already taking fire from teammates). The Mark 11 and SVD are better for medium ranges, and in those cases assault rifles are FARRRRR better than those weapons (and obviously at close range it's even worse).

It's still a fun class to play, but unless you switch to one of the generic all-class weapons like the auto shotguns and go all out, you definitely won't be getting a ton of points.

I'm sure someone will chime in now and say they kick ass at recon, and I'm sure some people are very good with it, but in general it's a weak class that's more about utility than killing people.

edit: I think if they had some gadgets that allowed them to directly attack armor and air, they would be a lot more balanced in line with the other classes. Right now they only get items that help OTHER people kill stuff, which of course has its uses, but if you're just pubbing it's difficult to get anyone to work with you, e.g. the SOFLAM.

Why doesn't the stinger and russian variant not work on tanks and grounded armor?

Because the stinger is a guided missile that is designed for surface-to-air usage. In game terms, you trade off the ability to attack land units for air units (you can always attack air units with unquided rockets, but of course it's a much bigger challenge)

The recon class just takes skill now like it did in BF2. Its stupidly OP like in BC2.

Engineer seems to be one of the better classes due to their good guns and AT capability. LMGs are just stupid as they are in almost every game, high damage great accuracy and lots of rounds per mag.

The recon class just takes skill now like it did in BF2. Its stupidly OP like in BC2.

Engineer seems to be one of the better classes due to their good guns and AT capability. LMGs are just stupid as they are in almost every game, high damage great accuracy and lots of rounds per mag.

I have yet to try it. I mostly have been favoring assault class with a dash of recon. Time for me to spread my wings and try support and engineer.

Assault is awesome, but your really screwed when there are vehicles so I prefer engineer in 64the player conquest.

Assault is awesome, but your really screwed when there are vehicles so I prefer engineer in 64the player conquest.

I'm starting to see that although I can bring the medpacks and the defibs to the table.

In BC2, the way I got along when I wasn't playing well and could still contribute was I could spam Q and spot like a crazy person. I was surprised how many people didn't do that.

I'm a little compromised in this now because they made the unwise (IMO) decision to have the spot button the same as the commrose button which I desperately would love to seperate these two functions. That's killing me. I've had times where I'm zooming through my ACOG scope or whatever doing my spot and then the friggin' thing ruins my zoom because of the commrose. It's cost me lives outright. Very frustrating.

I just finished the single player. Did it seem really short to anyone else? I played through the whole thing in just four short sittings. It would be nice if there were some side missions, or "intel" to collect or something. I don't really see any replay value.

There were a few missions that stood out. The tank battle was awesome, I had the sound blasting for that one. The fighter jet was pretty cool too, but I wish I could replay it as the pilot.

Overall I wish I could have driven more vehicles, even if it was just to get from point a to point b. I think the only time I got to drive was in the tank battle.

The story was really good, and the cinematic cut-scenes were really well done. In most games I skip through the cinematic and want to get back to shooting, but with BF3 I actually watched each one.

My favorite weapon from the game was in the last missions. Saiga 12 + thermal optics = win. I did like the sniper rifles as well.

Overall, I would say single player was really well done, but could have been a bit longer, or included something that would make me want to go back through some of the missions.

Now on to the multiplayer!

Getting pissed. Origin has absolutely no issue charging me, but will not show my order on either their website or the Origin client showing my purchase. These Haji online chat reps are slightly above monkey-level intelligence too. Awesome.

I just finished the single player. Did it seem really short to anyone else? I played through the whole thing in just four short sittings. It would be nice if there were some side missions, or "intel" to collect or something. I don't really see any replay value.

There were a few missions that stood out. The tank battle was awesome, I had the sound blasting for that one. The fighter jet was pretty cool too, but I wish I could replay it as the pilot.

Overall I wish I could have driven more vehicles, even if it was just to get from point a to point b. I think the only time I got to drive was in the tank battle.

The story was really good, and the cinematic cut-scenes were really well done. In most games I skip through the cinematic and want to get back to shooting, but with BF3 I actually watched each one.

My favorite weapon from the game was in the last missions. Saiga 12 + thermal optics = win. I did like the sniper rifles as well.

Overall, I would say single player was really well done, but could have been a bit longer, or included something that would make me want to go back through some of the missions.

Now on to the multiplayer!

SP is a decent one time run through for the reasons you posted. Gets you warmed up. Has some nice moments in it but no real replay value to speak of.

Getting pissed. Origin has absolutely no issue charging me, but will not show my order on either their website or the Origin client showing my purchase. These Haji online chat reps are slightly above monkey-level intelligence too. Awesome.

Being that it's not a weekday/business day isn't doing you any favors. I suspect you're going to be stuck waiting until Monday to get whatever is going on there fixed.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1646594

See if anything in that first post or thread helps.

Does recon have any options to take out armor directly? And no, I don't mean use that SOFLAM and wait 4 hours for someone to shoot armor for you.

Yup, you got me a few times last night. You were workin' it. ;)

lol

Even if you're Recon as a sniper? Doesn't matter?

Even as Recon, since there aren't any one shot kills, you'll have to run around with it.
It was pretty simple to amass kills as Recon attacking in the Beta. I'm going to get around to playing Recon soon, already maxed Engineer and almost done with Assault.

LOL, ok I'll make a more deliberate shift in attitude.
The more objectives captured and enemies you kill, will result in a higher score. Pretty ironic.
Too many people are going for style, whether in a plane, hiding in buildings or on the top of the crane in Firestorm.

I'm using a Logitech G9 and my DPI might actually be set too high at that rate. I'll have to fiddle with it.
That's what caused me to do poorly in BC2 when it first released. I played around 2500dpi and was always at the bottom of the score board.
Lowered it to 1600 and my skills greatly increased.

That's what caused me to do poorly in BC2 when it first released. I played around 2500dpi and was always at the bottom of the score board.
Lowered it to 1600 and my skills greatly increased.

What's the story on this "raw input on/off" setting in the game's menu?

When you adjust DPI do you just leave the game's mouse sensitivity menu option at default usually?

Few things:

Anyone else think its strange how BF3 handles VRAM? MSI Afterburner is showing me I am using 5-6GB of VRAM on my Eyefinity setup. You halve that for a 6990, but I am still way over 2GB yet the game doesn't slow down. Doesn't make sense. Also, the only way I can get away from crashing and memory errors is to set a huge 12GB page-file on my SSD. Yet the game barely touches my regular system RAM, wth?

Secondly, is there a command to "cap" frames per second in the game and not just display them?

Thirdly, do you get more points if you play a higher-difficulty for the co-op missions?

Anyone else only played Conquest so far?

I've armed so many MCOMs in BC2 that I don't want to see another one for a while.
When I'm finished unlocking all the weapons, I'll play Rush get to get the medals and then going back to CQ.
I really don't want the BC feel in this game, that's the main reason why I'm avoiding it.

There are those that would say that Conquest is pure BF, there was someone who said (a few pages back) that Rush has no place in BF - but he's just an elitist prick pure and simple

Judging by your comments you may side with him

Few things:

Anyone else think its strange how BF3 handles VRAM? MSI Afterburner is showing me I am using 5-6GB of VRAM on my Eyefinity setup. You halve that for a 6990, but I am still way over 2GB yet the game doesn't slow down. Doesn't make sense. Also, the only way I can get away from crashing and memory errors is to set a huge 12GB page-file on my SSD. Yet the game barely touches my regular system RAM, wth?

Secondly, is there a command to "cap" frames per second in the game and not just display them?

Thirdly, do you get more points if you play a higher-difficulty for the co-op missions?

I have been trying to find a frame cap command as well

Jets seriously need dumb bombs. They are completely worthless against ground troops. I know that laser guided ground missiles is an unlock but those are only effective against vehicles. When you are playing as infantry you just lol at jets because you know they are no threat to you

I'm a little compromised in this now because they made the unwise (IMO) decision to have the spot button the same as the commrose button which I desperately would love to seperate these two functions. That's killing me. I've had times where I'm zooming through my ACOG scope or whatever doing my spot and then the friggin' thing ruins my zoom because of the commrose. It's cost me lives outright. Very frustrating.

I have the same problem. Even when nonzoomed it stops you from shooting briefly (such as in vehicles). And I've developed the habit of spotting even if I feel I can kill the other person for sure from BC2. The reason is it provides intel on the situation, something I like to keep aware of to read the overall situation (possibly due to also playing RTS games).

Yes but you also might get less points due to not hitting as many bonuses (not sure how the scoring works exactly yet), as well as taking longer to complete missions.

For me so far some maps I've scored the highest playing high, some medium, and some easy. I've pubbed every coop mission though, so maybe if you have a partner you can do the higher ones more efficient to consistently offset the difficulty.

Bombs were awesome in BF2 :(

It isn't necessarily the lack of bombs. The AOE on the 20mm cannon on the jets in BF3 seems to be considerably smaller compared to BF2.

Night Vision rocks! It's almost like wallhack when you play on Tehran Higway. You can see enemy 200m from you, lying in the dark corner. Awesome!

bf32011103019503117.jpg

I finally bought BF3 from Origin, then 5 minutes later noticed it is cheaper on Amazon. Sad day! lol

Is the commo rose hardcoded? For some reason it's taking up two keys (Q and C), both of which I use extensively (Q for sprint, C for spot)

I have terrible reaction times in these kinds of games, so I've had to adapt my play style to adjust for that. If I go running around a corner and meet someone coming the other way, I am the one who dies almost 100% of the time. So, I no longer just blindly run around corners - I've started trying to play smarter. Don't charge right into the middle of the checkpoint, instead swing around the side and come in from that way so you can sneak up on the defenders. Try to spot people in the distance and then sneak up behind them. Find corners at the checkpoint to defend from - or find chokepoints and set up there. Heal and provide ammo. Spot incessently. And most importantly - keep moving. Remember that with kill-cam the guy you just killed knows where you are - so don't be there when he comes back (but do go try to find the camper that killed you). I don't have a great K/D or a terribly high pt/min - but it's a lot more fun than getting killed every 2 minutes.

I'm starting to see that although I can bring the medpacks and the defibs to the table.

In BC2, the way I got along when I wasn't playing well and could still contribute was I could spam Q and spot like a crazy person. I was surprised how many people didn't do that.

I have yet to have the commrose come up when trying to spot..... just tap Q.

Man are these co-op only weapon unlocks for real? Looks like you average 10k points per mission if you beat it and the highest unlock requires 440k. Does DICE really expect us to grind the same six missions over 44 times to unlock some weapons?

I've played through all the Co-op missions on standard difficulty and am sitting right around 150K points -- honestly I don't see the problem because the co op missions are ACTUALLY fun (compared to the single player)

The fact I can unlock stuff to use in multiplayer is pretty cool.

the ONLY real true fuck up they did with co op is no voice communication with the random person you are playing with. What happens if they are new, stupid, or just plain don't know what to do?

Back