Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Believe it or not, its actually more realistic to tie the elevation into the pitch of a helicopter. When a helicopter moves forward, it changes the direction of the main rotor, thus less of the thrust is pointed down and some of it pointed backwards. In order to compensate for that loss of downward thrust, more throttle has to be applied.

I do agree that the helicopters are a little more difficult to fly. The banking seems a little sluggish, and if you bank too hard its difficult to counteract and recover. I could understand the sluggishness for the transport choppers, but I would expect the scout choppers to be pretty nimble.

In a real helicopter you control the movement (forward/back/left/right) with the cyclic stick and the elevation with the collective, which increases/decreases the ascent of the heli.

I've tried with and without HT and dont notice a difference. If anything it's smoother with HT on which is why I opted for a 2600k over 2500k, BF BC2 was smoother with HT on for me as well.

Wonder if it's something else completely unrelated though causing the issues...

I just wish they'd freakign fix it already.

HAving to turn off one core on my E8400, making it a single core forces me to have to turn down a LOT of things just to have ok framerates (25'ish), vs the 40'ish with both cores. That's just not acceptable that a game is only playable on a single core these days.

In a real helicopter you control the movement (forward/back/left/right) with the cyclic stick and the elevation with the collective, which increases/decreases the ascent of the heli.

That's true, but only at a hover or very low speeds. Once a helicopter gets up to speed the cyclic starts to feel more like a fixed wing aircraft where pulling back on the cyclic points the "nose" up and you gain altitude etc.

HAving to turn off one core on my E8400, making it a single core forces me to have to turn down a LOT of things just to have ok framerates (25'ish), vs the 40'ish with both cores. That's just not acceptable that a game is only playable on a single core these days.

Have you tried looking for a c2q in craigslist? Here's a sample (local in orange county) http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/sys/2635936198.html . That's the same prize as the game and should give a nice bump in performance. Unless you live a really small town chances are you'll find something similar.

I know that. You missed the point of my post. In a real helicopter if you pitch the nose forward with the cyclic stick you also begin to lose altitude since less of the thrust of the main rotor is devoted to downward thrust and some of it devoted to forward thrust. Thus whenever you change directions in a helicopter, you have to increase the throttle or increase the pitch of the rotors with the cyclic. Hence my statement about the altitude being somewhat tied to the movement. Battlefield simplifies things by tying the throttle to the cyclic so they become one in the same. It's not uncommon to do this either, since many toy helicopters do the same thing to get people more familiar with it.

That's true, but only at a hover or very low speeds. Once a helicopter gets up to speed the cyclic starts to feel more like a fixed wing aircraft where pulling back on the cyclic points the "nose" up and you gain altitude etc.
To a point this is true. Doing so bleeds forward momentum quickly though, and you need a lot of forward speed and decent rotor/swash plate setup to pull off something like a loop in a helicopter.

Last edited:
Have you tried looking for a c2q in craigslist? Here's a sample (local in orange county) http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/sys/2635936198.html . That's the same prize as the game and should give a nice bump in performance. Unless you live a really small town chances are you'll find something similar.

I am building a new 2600k system next week (for this + Skyrim/Batman:AC, etc), but thanks for the help.

I know that. You missed the point of my post. In a real helicopter if you pitch the nose forward with the cyclic stick you also begin to lose altitude since less of the thrust of the main rotor is devoted to downward thrust and some of it devoted to forward thrust. Thus whenever you change directions in a helicopter, you have to increase the throttle or increase the pitch of the rotors with the cyclic. Hence my statement about the altitude being somewhat tied to the movement. Battlefield simplifies things by tying the throttle to the cyclic so they become one in the same. It's not uncommon to do this either, since many toy helicopters do the same thing to get people more familiar with it.

I know this, but I'm saying that in a real helicopter you can move the nose forward, and still gain elevation while increasing or decreasing throttle independently. In BF2 they are stuck together an dit makes it hard to do what you would normally do, especially if youa re used to sims.

Bit of a rant, just got slayed twice for dropping mortars on an enemy mortar.

Justification: I'm camping and I'm not allowed to camp since mortars are camping... I'm on defense... they are mortaring us... logic fails against an admin every time.

yeah running my i3 2100 with hyperthreading on with a gtx 460 (1400x900 res) and have everything turned to high except medium post aa and it runs perfectly fine unless I'm on one of the many rubber banding servers, but I did have to try 3 different nvidia drivers to get it to run correctly, 285.27 by far works the best for me.

just played a bit of the singleplayer and it's pretty typical stuff. an enemy is out in the open 10 feet from me and my NPC squad and all 3 of them are just unloading on him and not killing him apparently. you have to raise sights and put a single round in him otherwise they'll just go on forever shooting at each other. i remember liking the whole "you're a one man army that has to kill everything" dynamic back when i played COD2, but that was about the last time i enjoyed that play style.

thankfully the multiplayer is fun as all hell :D

Anyone else only played Conquest so far?

I've armed so many MCOMs in BC2 that I don't want to see another one for a while.
When I'm finished unlocking all the weapons, I'll play Rush get to get the medals and then going back to CQ.
I really don't want the BC feel in this game, that's the main reason why I'm avoiding it.

I've armed so many MCOMs in BC2 that I don't want to see another one for a while.
When I'm finished unlocking all the weapons, I'll play Rush get to get the medals and then going back to CQ.
I really don't want the BC feel in this game, that's the main reason why I'm avoiding it.

Rush feels lonely with only 32 players and near impossible with 64. Conquest also feels too cramped with 64 players. The maps really need to be bigger and the objectives spread out more. Hopefully DICE addresses this issue with the newer maps.

Rush feels lonely with only 32 players and near impossible with 64. Conquest also feels too cramped with 64 players. The maps really need to be bigger and the objectives spread out more. Hopefully DICE addresses this issue with the newer maps.

Also there's instance where spawn killing becomes unavoidable and inevitable even with people trying not to do it.

The maps are cramped.

I never played much Bad Company 2, but in BF2 I remember huge maps with a lot of travel. Due to the size of the BF2 maps there were clear distinct areas where battles would take place, other portions would be quiet. It felt like large scale war as the battle would move about over a large area. This doesn't have that, battle is happening everywhere and there isn't much of a "this is the frontline" feel since it's just a big meatgrinder as players die, and then travel a short distance back into battle. Some of the maps (the mine one for instance) are just embarressing. Essentially the entire game takes place in two narrow tunnels.

They need to get away from designing maps around bottlenecks.

This is a design issue which could be solved with improved maps that aren't aimed at the console 32 player limit. Urg. Hope isn't lost.

The engine itself is excellent, and on my 570 - it plays incredibly smoothly with maxed out settings.

I play alot of 48 player CQ. Higher point totals and more travel.
If they increase the distance between flags, the game will become vehicle heavy.
There would be no reason to leave objectives without some form of transportation.

What sort of hardware are you running AMD_gamer?

System Specs used in this video:

Windows 7 PRO 64 bit
Intel Core i7-920 (stock speeds)
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE
Nvidia GeForce 285.38 BF3 Drivers
OCZ Vertex II SSD
Samsung 245BW

The game runs great for me at 1920X1200 with 2XAA

System Specs used in this video:

Windows 7 PRO 64 bit
Intel Core i7-920 (stock speeds)
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE
Nvidia GeForce 285.38 BF3 Drivers
OCZ Vertex II SSD
Samsung 245BW

The game runs great for me at 1920X1200 with 2XAA

What settings?

Lol caveman, stop heating your food in the sun and get with the program and come play qith fire

I'm alternating between both of them. I've never played BC2, so Rush something new to me. One thing I do like about Rush is it forces your team to focus on the objective since there's only 2 at any given time, especially when it comes to defending, at least there's always other players to back us up while defending.

I love conquest since BF2, and still do. Only problem is its almost impossible to get on a jet or helicopter. So I've basically played all ground vehicles but yet to touch an aircraft. I really enjoy conquest especially when I'm lucky enough to be in a team that at least have some coordination.

I've had so many chances to get the jets, from spawning into them to first dips on the runway, and now never even bother. after spending an hour or so in them, they are boring already, all the fun is on the ground.

Well said.

-------------------------------------------

Flying with the 360 controller in Jets is a lot easier and smoother. I'm able to shoot down planes and helos easier too.
But I still can't shake other jets off my tail fast enough and circle around to their rear. Any tips??? Also can I spot other Jets while in the air?

You can spot other jets.

As for flying advice, I haven't logged much dedicated hours flying yet, so this may not be the best information (or even factually correct everywhere).

You can't really out turn other jets, since I believe both sides planes have the same performance. What you can do is try to outmaneuver the other guy so they cannot keep up. This ranges from some basic such as throttling down/airbrake into the turns for a sharper turning radius to more advanced stuff.

Try rolling and pitching more this makes it somewhat harder for someone to keep track of you.

The other maneuvers you can try I've found that work in practice are the split-s and immelmann turn. The latter also works in that it forces the other person to risk hitting the flight ceiling in following you.

Using the terrain also can throw guys off. Such as structures (the large radio mast on caspian, or even lower buildings if you can manage it) and the flying closer to the ground.

The other is leading them to fly over to your AA, this of course requires some team work.

Getting assists from your wingman is another option, this requires the most teamwork though. I went up against two guys who did this well, whenever I had one in my sights, the other would have me, which made it very difficult.

If all else fails you can force a stalemate by going for the flight ceiling.

Someone who is a flying buff might have more tips and tricks though.

Bit of a rant, just got slayed twice for dropping mortars on an enemy mortar.

Justification: I'm camping and I'm not allowed to camp since mortars are camping... I'm on defense... they are mortaring us... logic fails against an admin every time.

Don't play on servers with dick admins then? He better kick every sniper because they all camp too by that logic.

You can spot other jets.

As for flying advice, I haven't logged much dedicated hours flying yet, so this may not be the best information (or even factually correct everywhere).

You can't really out turn other jets, since I believe both sides planes have the same performance. What you can do is try to outmaneuver the other guy so they cannot keep up. This ranges from some basic such as throttling down/airbrake into the turns for a sharper turning radius to more advanced stuff.

Try rolling and pitching more this makes it somewhat harder for someone to keep track of you.

The other maneuvers you can try I've found that work in practice are the split-s and immelmann turn. The latter also works in that it forces the other person to risk hitting the flight ceiling in following you.
This is all great advice. The immelmann, split-s, and chandelle (while using airbrakes) are great for getting the jump on the enemy.

I hate to be giving out my best dogfighting tip, but here goes:
I use this maneuver and it works on 99% of the enemies I dogfight against.
If I see another enemy heading towards me, I assume they can see me. I also intentionally let them see which direction I'm turning. Almost no one looks behind them to see which way I actually go. As soon as I pass them I go straight into a climb full throttle (afterburners on fighters) and climb as high as I can without hitting the ceiling. After that I pull an immelmann and level out, and begin a spiral diving turn with air brakes on, switch to outside view (C key) to get a larger view, then begin to find my enemy. They are usually doing hard turns desperately trying to find where I went and some just break off engagement to seek other pray. I swoop in from above, switch to guns so I don't set off their alarms, and blast them out of the sky with ease. They never see what hits them. Only the really good pilots figure it out, but for most its too late.

I just looked up the maneuver I do. Essentially it is a combination of an immelmann and a high yo-yo. Sometimes I simply forgo the immelmann part and do a high yo-yo.

Last edited:
Just hooked up a 5850 for testing and decided to boot up BF3, it ran everything maxed out sans AA and HBAO at a steady 60 fps with slight dips.

Running a i7 920 at stock.

edit: at 1920x1080

Last edited:
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 6950 Toxic gets me 60fps vsync'd @ 1680x1050. Ultra everything, 4xPostAA, 16xAF, HBAO. No chops, no stutters, like butter. Finished the campaign in 5 hours with no graphical glitches at all, running fraps and had an XP VM running in the background by accident. I can't lock vsync with those settings on my 47" 1080p screen but the tearing is less noticable from the couch. Very playable, as far as fumbling with an xbox360 controller goes.

Looks like I need a new monitor. :D

I'm really impressed with how the game looks through my tiny little window though. I'll have to give it a go on my M11X R2, see how the mobile 335 handles it.

I dunno, playing with 32 players on a few maps like Seine Crossing gets me down into almost the 20's on Ultra and at best on High I see about 35-38fps looking at the canal and bridges with action going it. It's the most demanding part of the game that I've seen so far. You can see my sig for specs but I have an i7 950 @ 4.0 + GTX 470 + 6gb. Caspian Border can also edge down there and the map with rain (forget the name).

Yeah, I'm only level 1 so my opinion isn't bond. But I've been involved in some big battles with multiple vehicles and haven't lost vsync with my tiny little monitor.

Lowest I've gotten was mid 30's on Firestorm, 64 players, looking down the long road filled with several tanks and other vehicles, then a place crashed right in front of me. As soon as a few of those cleared out back up to 60 FPS and stayed there.

What settings?

The game looks amazing at these settings

Oa2Zr.jpg

The weather for this weekend got me thinking about how there are no snow maps for BF3. Don't you think a Port Valdez style map would be cool?

Agreed. Just because there is some shitty campaign that takes place in Iran and Paris we shouldn't be restricted to maps from those locations.

Someone needs to put a video tutorial for flying, considering there's no way you can practice, a step by step guide would be great.

Back