Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

It gives it you if someone was recently in it, not sure what the exact time is though.

On another you cannot deploy a mortar under a covered structure. I was so looking forward to creating some hilarious situations with this. Also it doesn't give you a map if maps are disabled on the server.

Great! Updated punkbuster and now im getting kicked from every fucking server..

Pre Order Cancelled...

The aircraft system in BF3 is really pretty stupid. Unless you already have unlocked flares and shit it's almost impossible to get any points in an aircraft. I had to get in a 24 player server to even get to fly at all, and of the 3-4 times I flew I died within about 30 seconds due to Stingers and no way to avoid (evasive maneuvering didn't seem to do anything at all). And through all that I only managed to get like 100 points because I managed to kill a chopper with the Gatling cannon.

If you were playing on a 64 player server with only 2 planes I can't imagine how difficult it would be to get one.

Also, it seems like the mouse SUCKS for flying. Need a joystick or a gamepad I guess...

I would also go as far as to say RPG/SMAWs are overpowered as well. I would say that unless it's a tiny rush map, players are predominantly going Support just because it's like "Oh, a player is behind cover? ROCKET TIME" or even just "there's a guy 20 feet from me...ROCKET TIME".

I honestly feel that they should do very little damage to players unless it's a direct hit. The splash damage needs to be toned down significantly.

I refound a new love for C4 last night. I literally blew up 8 tanks in one Caspian match... it was quite hilarious because I spent most of my time chasing tanks rather than running from them. Pretty sure I pissed a few people off. Good times.

This is my preferred method of tank killing. It is just so satisfying sneaking up to a tank to plant C4. All the while walking away with my back to the explosion like a BOSS. :cool:

Props nothing, I fucking HATE you!

I work 10-11 hour shifts and have a wife and 12 year old son and have only managed to get to level 3 so far (spent almost as much time trying to find a servers that cooperated with me as I did playing last night.) But this weekend I told them both that if they wanted to talk to me they would need to do so during any bathroom breaks I should take.

Seriously though, good job. :D

LOL

So I bought bf3 on amazon, and I'm in origin, and it says no games detected, which I guess makes sense, but what do I do from here!?

So i've been clicking redeem product code and the load screen just shows up for al onggg time

edit: kind of got it to work

Last edited:
The aircraft system in BF3 is really pretty stupid. Unless you already have unlocked flares and shit it's almost impossible to get any points in an aircraft. I had to get in a 24 player server to even get to fly at all, and of the 3-4 times I flew I died within about 30 seconds due to Stingers and no way to avoid (evasive maneuvering didn't seem to do anything at all). And through all that I only managed to get like 100 points because I managed to kill a chopper with the Gatling cannon.

If you were playing on a 64 player server with only 2 planes I can't imagine how difficult it would be to get one.

Also, it seems like the mouse SUCKS for flying. Need a joystick or a gamepad I guess...

I'm personally not a fan of jets so I can't comment on jets specifically. That said, after me and my buddy unlocked flares, stealth, and heat seeking missiles for the attack heli, we started to rape consistently. The final few unlocks seem really great as well.

I would also go as far as to say RPG/SMAWs are overpowered as well. I would say that unless it's a tiny rush map, players are predominantly going Support just because it's like "Oh, a player is behind cover? ROCKET TIME" or even just "there's a guy 20 feet from me...ROCKET TIME".

I honestly feel that they should do very little damage to players unless it's a direct hit. The splash damage needs to be toned down significantly.

Yeah, the splash damage should be reduced considerably, and yes many choose that class just to spam rockets, but also a lot of people choose it as other then C4 it's the only real way to counter vehicles and IMO some of the maps have to many vehicles for the size of the map.

So I bought bf3 on amazon, and I'm in origin, and it says no games detected, which I guess makes sense, but what do I do from here!?

So i've been clicking redeem product code and the load screen just shows up for al onggg time

I simply copied the code from Amazon and then open Origin, clicked the little gear button on the top right and selected "Enter Code" (or whatever it said) and then pasted the code in. Someone else posted that battlelog was down so maybe their server is down for some reason?

I couldn't disagree more, I think the stinger is a bit overpowered when it comes to shooting down helicopters and jets, but with infantry I think the splash damage of rpg's and grenades needs to be buffed big time. I've shot a rocket fairly close to people and have seen them take very little damage.

The damage is fine, they need to reduce the ammo. Can you really imagine somebody carrying that many RPGs on them and still be able to spring and jump around? Grand Bazaar Rush turns into a freaking RPG fest, specially through that one alley.

Same goes with mortar, I doubt anybody can actually run that fast while carrying a damn mortar.

Yeah, that's pretty good.

I'm at a whopping rank 8 after 4 hours, 2.24 KDR but my SPM is pretty bad @ 330.

I'll get the hang of it :p

So the Dr.Pepper codes work, I wanted to get the wolf moon tag and the dinosaur one, it gave me the FUCKING CAT and the bones instead. WTF is that?

what is up with this 11.3GB update?

i have to re-download the game for an update or is this some massive content update that i can not find anything about anywhere?

i hope this is not how they handle updates in the future...............

edit: gah i think this has to do with reinstalling origin...i thought origin was broken when the program would not launch, reinstalled and it turns out origin is just taking a really freaking long time to launch now....after pointing origin games directory to the correct location i think its re-downloading BF3 entirely again o_o

Last edited:

Completely agree. A direct RPG hit should be a 1 shot on infrantry, but splash damage should be significantly reduced. Carbines/smg's already seem incredibly overpowered... tack on a near instant kill rocket launcher, and engineers make the perfect noob class. It's the BFBC2 CG mess all over again.

I couldn't disagree more, I think the stinger is a bit overpowered when it comes to shooting down helicopters and jets, but with infantry I think the splash damage of rpg's and grenades needs to be buffed big time. I've shot a rocket fairly close to people and have seen them take very little damage.

I was sitting around the corner of a metal shipping container. The guy shooting at me couldn't hit me because I was behind it, so he fired a rocket at the corner of the container. Killed me instantly and I was at 90-100% health. Keep in mind the rocket splash didn't even have line-of-sight to me, it was from around the corner of an indestructible object.

So yeah, I think splash damage is plenty powerful...Too much so, in fact.

As I've said before, I can't speak for BF2 because I don't remember the RPG mechanics, but in BF1942 the rockets only did damage to vehicles unless you hit a person directly, which then it was an instant kill. This makes a lot of sense, because the idea is that you are using the rocket on a vehicle, and AP rocket rounds do little to no splash damage, as they are a directed charge for penetrating armor. If you got hit with one, sure, you'd die, but it's ridiculous that you can use it in BF3 as both AP rounds and anti-personnel rounds. Plus you get like 6 or 7 shots, so it's easy to just spam the shit out of them.

Grenades, on the other hand, I completely agree with you on. I've rarely ever been killed by a grenade, and likewise I don't know if I've ever gotten more than one or two grenade kills. They seem to land right next to enemies and do next to nothing. Coupled with the fact that you only get one, it seems like it should be more powerful than an RPG, which has an absurd range and does MORE damage.

The aircraft system at the moment is difficult, but not impossible. I reckon it will only get easier for jets and such as more players unlock their new skills. As for avoiding missiles, it's entirely possible without flares. Start ducking behind hills and fly low if you start hearing the klaxon go off. Also take note of when you start getting locked on and avoid that general area. Extremely sharp turns will confuse the missile and will trick them into exploding near you instead of on you doing less damage. This is coming from someone who has spent a decent amount of time in the mobile AA tanks succeeding at disabling/destroying aircraft while taking note of how those who escaped did so.

Question:

Is it possible for me to create multiple soldiers? I would like to creat one for me and one for my wife.

Thanks!

Man this game is incredible. The graphics, the huge 64 player maps, the sounds, everything. It's the first game I have played that makes me feel like I'm in an actual war. My K/D ratio kind of sucks but I'm having too much fun to notice. Game runs very well on Ultra with trifire 6900's at 2560x1600! It's beautiful!

I get pretty bad rubberbanding while running around on all but a very few select servers... is anyone else getting that? Even on servers that show 35ms ping in the browser and are located in nearby cities.

For me 64 player servers tend to have that issue, I think I've played maybe 1 or 2 that didn't now. All 32 player servers I've been on were fine.

I get pretty bad rubberbanding while running around on all but a very few select servers... is anyone else getting that? Even on servers that show 35ms ping in the browser and are located in nearby cities.

Yeah I am noticing it too. Hopefully it will get ironed out. I'm just trying to stay on servers with less than 50 ping.

Seems like a map issue. the xbox360 and the ps3 has the same problem.

ORIGIN IS ONE PIECE OF SHIT

I ordered the disk months ago and got it and no matter what all it wants to do is install origin.
Then it wants to update origin.
FINALLY what game and code.
I put it in and you are almost done hit next.
NOTHING

you have no games.
would you like to browse the online store.
F NO now I see why people pirate.....they don't have to put up with shit like this

BF3 requires origin, that's been known for MONTHS. EA's activation servers are having problems at the moment. Welcome to a BF launch, get used to it or get out.

DID I SAY A THING ABOUT ORIGIN BEING REQUIRED?
NO I SAID IT WAS A PIECE OF CRAP
I said its pure bs when you buy a game and have to go thru some beta BS spyware to get to even install it. Then after you do all their crap stuff the Fing software just quits.

GREAT FUN sure glad I paid for it.....and like I said now I see why pirates always win.

I'm personally not a fan of jets so I can't comment on jets specifically. That said, after me and my buddy unlocked flares, stealth, and heat seeking missiles for the attack heli, we started to rape consistently. The final few unlocks seem really great as well.

I was on a server last night playing Kharg I guess it was, and the other team had two good helicopter pilots to my team's none, and it sucked. They were raping everyone with the Mi-28 cannon - I was having serious BF2 Sharqi flashbacks. You really have to have someone on your team who can counter enemy helos in the air, because with flares and stealth it is too hard with just Stingers.

Grenades, on the other hand, I completely agree with you on. I've rarely ever been killed by a grenade, and likewise I don't know if I've ever gotten more than one or two grenade kills. They seem to land right next to enemies and do next to nothing. Coupled with the fact that you only get one, it seems like it should be more powerful than an RPG, which has an absurd range and does MORE damage.

Part of that is probably the blinking "run away" light the grenades have. Makes it easy to dodge them.

Yes, and you throw like a pansy in BF3. Whereas in BC2 I felt like Joe Montana launching 60+ yard bombs, in BF3 seems like I can barely get it to go 15 yards.

Wow, calm down and run the repair tool. My install didn't work for some reason, as it needs to use UAC or something and I never got the popup during the installation. After running the repair tool, it popped up, I gave the nod, and it finished, and I'm playing now.

ORIGIN IS ONE PIECE OF SHIT

I ordered the disk months ago and got it and no matter what all it wants to do is install origin.
Then it wants to update origin.
FINALLY what game and code.
I put it in and you are almost done hit next.
NOTHING

you have no games.
would you like to browse the online store.
F NO now I see why people pirate.....they don't have to put up with shit like this

Last time I checked the Origin servers was having some activation trouble. That may be the cause of the problem.

Back